Being the Church, Not joining one

  • Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

    You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TitusTwoWife

Encounter Team
Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 26, 2026
708
941
93
31
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gender
Female
Almost everything I was taught about how to be a proper Christian wasn't true.

My husband and I call these myths "churchisms" . When I converted at 14, all I wanted to do was do good for the Lord. I even wanted to be a missionary.

But well meaning Christians said I ought to focus on myself and establishing a career through college. To my regret, I slipped into worldliness, believing my initial fire was naive and foolish.

Thankfully, I met my husband at 18. He became the man of God of my dreams despite many growing pains we went through. I wanted a spiritual leader.
Imagine my surprise when he lead us out of church!

But I trust this man. He has been there for me like no one else. So I began to pray and research.

The early church never called their assemblies "worship". They were against building fancy buildings for three centuries. There were no special priests or Clergy. Every believer was considered a priest. We are the living stones of the temple of God.

Therefore, I have concluded that true worship is to love God and obey Him day and night, offering our bodies up as living sacrifices to Him.

We are the church and we will build a real fellowship slowly through real trust and looking out for those in our care.
 
  • Loveit!
  • Like
Reactions: Azim and Episkopos

Episkopos

Well-Known Member
May 17, 2011
15,372
23,102
113
68
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
Almost everything I was taught about how to be a proper Christian wasn't true.

My husband and I call these myths "churchisms" . When I converted at 14, all I wanted to do was do good for the Lord. I even wanted to be a missionary.

But well meaning Christians said I ought to focus on myself and establishing a career through college. To my regret, I slipped into worldliness, believing my initial fire was naive and foolish.

Thankfully, I met my husband at 18. He became the man of God of my dreams despite many growing pains we went through. I wanted a spiritual leader.
Imagine my surprise when he lead us out of church!

But I trust this man. He has been there for me like no one else. So I began to pray and research.

The early church never called their assemblies "worship". They were against building fancy buildings for three centuries. There were no special priests or Clergy. Every believer was considered a priest. We are the living stones of the temple of God.

Therefore, I have concluded that true worship is to love God and obey Him day and night, offering our bodies up as living sacrifices to Him.

We are the church and we will build a real fellowship slowly through real trust and looking out for those in our care.
When we look at how Jesus sees things....that very few surprisingly give any heed to...we see His approval of the church of Philadelphia....meaning brotherly love.

Now the Babylonian system churches cannot be based on something as mundane, simple, and unorganized as that. Where would the devil get his worship from?

So then the church that Jesus is building is simple, built on intimate relationships from the heart. Know no man according to the flesh.

Our fellowship is in a few homes...based entirely on brotherly love. Based on freedom in the Spirit to do as each are led. We are there to help each other in our upward calling. Some of us visit other churches based on family or friends. It's all for the good. What I see is that only a few will still be there through the trials and difficulties of life. Only a few will still be running with you in the marathon. That is your fellowship....that is the church you belong with. (not belong TO) We are not to serve an institution. We are to serve one another. And this is way too far for casual believers and superficial seekers.

Our fellowship is in the close knit love of disciples, not just believers. Only disciples fit in with us. The believers can come and go...they can visit us, and we can visit them....but at the end of the day we are apart...called out from among them to run so as to attain to the high calling in Christ.