bethulah-virgin vs almah-virgin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Abraham's servant prayed to God to help him to find a wife for Isaac in (NIV) Genesis 24:

15 Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milkah, who was the wife of Abraham’s brother Nahor. 16The woman was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever slept with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.
a virgin
בְּתוּלָ֕ה (bə·ṯū·lāh)
Noun - feminine singular
Strong's 1330: A virgin, sometimes, a bride

Strong's Hebrew: 1330. בְּתוּלָה (bethulah) — 50 Occurrences

H1330 unambiguously refers to a virgin who has never had sexual intercourse.

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

noun feminine: virgin
Later, the servant recounted the story using a different word:

42“When I came to the spring today, I said, ‘Lord, God of my master Abraham, if you will, please grant success to the journey on which I have come. 43See, I am standing beside this spring. If a young woman comes out to draw water and I say to her, “Please let me drink a little water from your jar,” 44and if she says to me, “Drink, and I’ll draw water for your camels too,” let her be the one the Lord has chosen for my master’s son.’
a young woman
הָֽעַלְמָה֙ (hā·‘al·māh)
Article | Noun - feminine singular
Strong's 5959: A young woman, a virgin

Strong's Hebrew: 5959. עַלְמָה (almah) — 7 Occurrences

Brown-Driver-Briggs:

young woman (ripe sexually; maid or newly married);
H5959 is not as common as H1330 and its meaning is ambiguous.

H5959 was used in (NIV) Isaiah 7:

14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.
New American Bible:

Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign; the young woman, pregnant and about to bear a son, shall name him Emmanuel.
Lexically, bethulah means virgin unambiguously while almah sometimes refers to a virgin.