Bible in a Year - Best Way? Best Translation?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TripleB

Nov 7, 2012
I received a Kindle over the weekend and want to get a 'Read the Bible in a Year' book to put on it.

They seem to offer three main types: 1) ones that give OT/NT/Psalms/Proverbs each day; 2) Chronological; and 3) Reading Gods Story (sort of an alternate chronological that doesn't give specific dates).

Of these 3 types, which one do you think is the best?

I know there are other plans on the net telling you which books/chapters/verses to read each day but I would like to go ahead and get it already in book form.

#3 above is only offered in the HCSB translation but the other two are available in NKJV, NIV, and NLT....which translation should I go with?

Thanks for any and all help.

TripleB

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Honestly you are fine with any of them. The Chronological can get a little weird because it's out of the traditional order, but since it's a kindle that's probably not such a big deal since you won't have another Bible laying around - which was my biggest gripe about a Bible for a single purpose like that.

Out of the given translations (which are all good), I would recommend the HCSB for the most balance. The NKJV might tend towards a more poetic and memorable read, but if you're reading this more devotional style, I would suggest one of the others. I'm always a fan of the HCSB, NIV and NLT. They're all great translations in their own way.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
I am old fashioned. I use a daily-reading Bible that doesn't use electricity. ^_^

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Same here Dodo. I don't like Bibles on the Kindle or Nook because I don't find them as easy to navigate. I much prefer turning through those leafs of paper with that exquisite rustling sound. I occasionally consult a desktop or mobile app like the Bible App, but not very often. Gimme paper.

It was just my gripe with the paper Chronological Bibles is that they were limited to devotional usage. My wife has one and the concept is great, but it just sits by our bed in the way now in a basket since she doesn't use it.

TripleB

Nov 7, 2012
HammerStone said:
Same here Dodo. I don't like Bibles on the Kindle or Nook because I don't find them as easy to navigate. I much prefer turning through those leafs of paper with that exquisite rustling sound. I occasionally consult a desktop or mobile app like the Bible App, but not very often. Gimme paper.
If I were using it as a Bible in which I was going to be flipping back and forth to different books/chapters/verses then I would agree...since the goal is to read through the Bible by reading some in it each day, I'm hoping the Kindle will serve this purpose.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

TripleB

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been surprised how much I like reading on my tablet, no more lugging the Bible to church.
Regarding annual Bible reading, I really like reading chronologically. I've done it several times using my regular Bible with a print out of the correct order, works fine for me.
I recently bought both an NIV and NLT chronological Bible, I may use one of these paper books or my tablet for 2014. (BTW, I buy these books for less than a dollar, some I keep, most I donate)

SolaGratia

Dec 24, 2013
Northwest Washington State
I would have a hard time using a Kindle for study because, like HammerStone, I find them difficult to navigate. But for the kind of reading where you are, in essence, just reading straight through, I like my Kindle. And I think it would work well for a Read-through-the-Bible program.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
If you're really serious, then only a 'serious' study Bible will do. And that means a 'scholarly' level study Bible, not some paraphrasology which only touches lightly on God's Word to pacify the lazy.

In English, the 1611 KJV is still the best. One of the reasons is because it stays closer to the manuscript subject and object flow better than any later versiion. Many are not aware of The Holy Spirit's markings within that which come from the manuscriipts, it has a specific layout and order of subject/object. Later English versions get farther and farther away from that, and you can find a study Bible for just about every known Christian organizational denomination to impart 'their' specific man-made traditions and beliefs to supply you all the confusion you could ever want.

There's only one KJV study Bible I know of that is on a scholar foundation worthy to be called a real study Bible, and it's The Companion Bible, a 1611 KJV with manuscript scholar notes compiled by the 19th century British Bible Hebrew/Greek scholar E.W. Bullinger. Just the amount of data in the 198 Appendixes in the back are worth having it.

Using Bible software like BibleSoft with a Strong's, Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, Englishman's Concordance, and a Brown, Driver & Briggs Hebrew lexicon for Hebrew names and places will get you much farther than a paraphrased so-called study Bible.

John 8:32

Jan 6, 2012
Dodo_David said:
I am old fashioned. I use a daily-reading Bible that doesn't use electricity. ^_^
+10000!

I have electronic scripture axle deep on a Ferris wheel, but still prefer paper and ink.

I am really liking this NKJV after using it for a while.

soupy

May 20, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
veteran said:
If you're really serious, then only a 'serious' study Bible will do. And that means a 'scholarly' level study Bible, not some paraphrasology which only touches lightly on God's Word to pacify the lazy.

In English, the 1611 KJV is still the best. One of the reasons is because it stays closer to the manuscript subject and object flow better than any later versiion. Many are not aware of The Holy Spirit's markings within that which come from the manuscriipts, it has a specific layout and order of subject/object. Later English versions get farther and farther away from that, and you can find a study Bible for just about every known Christian organizational denomination to impart 'their' specific man-made traditions and beliefs to supply you all the confusion you could ever want.
I view daily Bible reading as different than "serious" Bible study. I read through it to understand the full context, not an in depth study of any one part. If I use a study Bible I get sidetracked reading the "extra" stuff. I want just the basics...
I do not find the KJ Bible readable, it isn't the English I use today, it is cumbersome and doesn't flow to keep me on on track of the story being told. I prefer the NASB for a study Bible but find it "wooden" in its flow of verses, just as the KJ but for different reasons.
I have no shortage of commentaries and extra books for in depth study, but my annual reading is not for "study". It is just reading.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
soupy said:
I view daily Bible reading as different than "serious" Bible study. I read through it to understand the full context, not an in depth study of any one part. If I use a study Bible I get sidetracked reading the "extra" stuff. I want just the basics...
I do not find the KJ Bible readable, it isn't the English I use today, it is cumbersome and doesn't flow to keep me on on track of the story being told. I prefer the NASB for a study Bible but find it "wooden" in its flow of verses, just as the KJ but for different reasons.
I have no shortage of commentaries and extra books for in depth study, but my annual reading is not for "study". It is just reading.
You'll eventually discover that you must re-read through the whole Bible several times just to get close to its proper contextual flow. Even then as our Heavenly Father opens your eyes more, there will still be areas you will have missed that will modify that original contextual flow later. And then there will be parts that you will not understand until it is time for God Himself to reveal them at a certain time, for His Word is The Living Word, It is constantly in a state of revealing to us.

So of course there's nothing wrong with wanting to read through the whole Bible, but a plan of in-depth study is also an important part. Isaiah 28 is God's blueprint for how to study His Word. Good luck in that, in Christ Jesus' Name.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
veteran said:

There's only one KJV study Bible I know of that is on a scholar foundation worthy to be called a real study Bible, and it's The Companion Bible, a 1611 KJV with manuscript scholar notes compiled by the 19th century British Bible Hebrew/Greek scholar E.W. Bullinger. Just the amount of data in the 198 Appendixes in the back are worth having it.

Using Bible software like BibleSoft with a Strong's, Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, Englishman's Concordance, and a Brown, Driver & Briggs Hebrew lexicon for Hebrew names and places will get you much farther than a paraphrased so-called study Bible.
Begging the question in the New Year. :lol:

lukethreesix

Jan 11, 2014
The most accurate bible (without question) is the Rotherham's Emphasized. Any student of scripture must have one in his library.