"Bible Skeptics" now equal with "Bible Lovers", more so in Millenials

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
State of the Bible, 2014

Now there are just as many Americans skeptical of the Bible as there are engaged with the Bible. According to the fourth annual State of the Bible survey, 19 percent said that they were skeptical of the Bible. This number is up from 10 percent in 2011.
This trend is even more pronounced among the Millennial generation (who range in age from 18-29). According to the State of the Bible report, Millennials are
  • Less likely to view the Bible as sacred literature (64 percent in comparison to 79 percent of adults),
  • Less likely to believe the Bible contains everything a person needs to know to lead a meaningful life (35 percent in comparison to 50 percent of adults), and
  • More likely to never read the Bible (39 percent compared in comparison to 26 percent of adults).
The obvious question we're probably all asking is, "Why is this happening?" Well, the same Christian group did a survey of young people and found that they were leaving the faith at pretty high rates, so they asked, "Why".

Here's what they found.

The study of young adults focused on those who were regular churchgoers Christian church during their teen years and explored their reasons for disconnection from church life after age 15.

No single reason dominated the break-up between church and young adults. Instead, a variety of reasons emerged. Overall, the research uncovered six significant themes why nearly three out of every five young Christians (59%) disconnect either permanently or for an extended period of time from church life after age 15.

Reason #1--Churches seem overprotective.

Reason #2 – Teens’ and twentysomethings’ experience of Christianity is shallow.

Reason #3 – Churches come across as antagonistic to science.

Reason #4 – Young Christians’ church experiences related to sexuality are often simplistic, judgmental.

Reason #5 – They wrestle with the exclusive nature of Christianity.

Reason #6 – The church feels unfriendly to those who doubt.

IMO, the good news in those results is that many of those reasons are correctable, some of them easily so. But one thing's for sure, if we do nothing these trends are only going to accelerate and eventually Christianity will become irrelevant in the US.

B

brakelite

I would suggest that there are several reasons why the Bible is now held with such little regard.
  • It isn't taught from the pulpits as it used to be.
  • Young people are pampered with entertainment rather than disciplined with the word.
  • When the Bible is taught at all it is with profusion of error(30,000 denominations/independents and counting, each with their own slant and opinion they promote as "truth".) The confusion and drunkeness of Babylon.
  • Because of tradition or convenience, the clear teachings of scripture, although understood, are not obeyed. The young people easily recognize hypocrisy. This turns them off big time.

Reactions: ChristianJuggarnaut

RANDOR

Fishin Everyday
Apr 13, 2014
HEAVEN
Well here is my 2 cents on that....Heck the people doing the survey probably don't even know Christ. Satan's been very busy over the years. Even some so called Christians I know don't even proclaim God from the roof tops. They just keep God in a bottle. Quiet, reserved...God said to be ready with a word at all times.
Christians who are not that excited by God or who have never been touched need to draw closer to Him.....and start shaking the earth :)
Everyone I meet I tell them about God whether they want to hear it or not :) If not me than who?
Radically saved by Jesus 26 years ago...........Yep....you tend to get a little excited, when Jesus pays ya a personal visit. :)

Warrior Up Christians......the lost are waiting for your PASSION :)

Secondhand Lion

Jan 30, 2012
People's Republic of Maryland
River,

I find this interesting. What is the purpose? In every other facet over 18 is considered adult. Why separate 18-29 from "adults" like they aren't adults? So are we supposed to take it that adult is now over 29? That is awesome! I agree! With the state our society is in...I have not run into a person 29 or less for a long time that had any idea about life either. I agree with the study! Yay!

Good Article River!

SL

Reactions: ChristianJuggarnaut

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i am skeptical of fundamentalist driven desire to millstone belivers into the dualistic notion that all christians must suspend rational thought and education and engage in the necessary mental gymnastics in order take all scripture literally as a requirement of being a "real" christian.

does this make me a skeptic of the legitamcy of scripture? not outside the fundamentalist mindset. So, the real question is; is the author of the op a fundamentalist?

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
If a fundamentalist/literalist believes that people put their "reward" in danger by not being likewise, what would you want them to do?

Wouldn't you want them to be placing every millstone they could find around as many necks as possible?

The anti fundie crowd here is more disturbing than any other group.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is not a big fan of millstones, CJ

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Reason #1--Churches seem overprotective.

Its the last days. Churches / elders must be. 1 Pet 5:8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

Reason #2 – Teens’ and twentysomethings’ experience of Christianity is shallow.

Yes liberal teaching has produced poor Mcdonalds type Christians. Many don't even know what Christianity is.

Reason #3 – Churches come across as antagonistic to science.

No. False science is pushed harder then ever before and the bible is made to seem foolish.

Reason #4 – Young Christians’ church experiences related to sexuality are often simplistic, judgmental.

Yes it will appear that way since fornication and GLBT is becoming the norm.

Reason #5 – They wrestle with the exclusive nature of Christianity.
Christianity is exclusive. If you can't carry your cross go home. Narrow is the path...

Reason #6 – The church feels unfriendly to those who doubt.

Sounds like atheists looking for a sign. Forget the church, the bible is unfriendly to them Matt 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah." Jesus then left them and went away.

Conclusion: These are the last days. End time prophecy of a falling away and good becoming evil is materializing before us.

People believing science is us coming from monkeys. Sex norm is fornication / late marriage. Wise elders are disrespected. People looking for attractive ear tickling messages.

River Jordan said:
IMO, the good news in those results is that many of those reasons are correctable, some of them easily so. But one thing's for sure, if we do nothing these trends are only going to accelerate and eventually Christianity will become irrelevant in the US.
I don't think you understand what Christianity is all about. God is behind it. It is not our job to make it popular. It is our job to preach the truth in fear and trembling before God Phil 12:2 If it fails then this verse kicks in Matt 10:23 When you are persecuted in one place, flee to another. Truly I tell you, you will not finish going through the towns of Israel before the Son of Man comes.

Reactions: UppsalaDragby

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Shorter KingJ: Everything I'm doing is just fine, all the problems are someone else's fault!! :lol:

Reactions: Hashe

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's the mantra of Moralistic Therapeutic Deism.

I blame the Churches as much or more than the folks leaving, but it comes down to the "churches are not fulfilling my needs." The first manifestations of this did come about in forms of fundamentalism, resulting in some of the shutoffs that are named above, IE: anti-science. Churches simply started teaching "easy" things and never provided the intellectual rigor of challenging beliefs and facing down tough questions. I recall a very good book I reviewed recently where the pastor treated the problem of evil quite flippantly, as if it was no big deal. While it may work that way for a mature Christian in some senses, it can be a very difficult problem for someone who just lost their child in a gruesome way.

We as the Church also failed to teach faithfulness in the little things, first.

I think the next step came in the notion that church, God, etc. should fulfill every need the way I expect it to. I recall a remark that someone made/wrote recently that Christianity should look beyond the every day and transcend it versus having an immediate solution for every daily issue. I think in our zeal to evangelize, we have taken a fundamentally true statement of Jesus = everything and warped it to me, Jesus = everything I expect at this moment in time.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
I've noticed just within my short lifetime that a lot of churches seem to have become very political. A lot of sermon time is devoted to political issues rather than the Gospel. I know from talking to kids in my youth group that they have very little patience for that, and if it happens enough they just check out.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
Excuse me while I commit a Genesis fallacy by assuming that certain political stands would be rebuked by the all-knowing youth of the Pacific Northwest.

I will wager that if the political sermon would include support for abortion, gay marriage, spotted owls, global warming and single payer health care your youth group would be glued to their seats until the goose step started.

Hashe

Mar 1, 2014
KingJ said:
Sounds like atheists looking for a sign. Forget the church, the bible is unfriendly to them Matt 16:4 A wicked and adulterous generation looks for a sign, but none will be given it except the sign of Jonah." Jesus then left them and went away.
I think Jesus was speaking to the Jews, not unbelievers of today.
We are commanded to love our enemies.
I think the problem in these lies within these reasons.
Churches that are overprotective, believe they should be over protective and this is God's way of doing things.
Churches that are antagonistic to science believe that they should teach this as this is God's way of doing things.
Churches that teach simplistic ideas on sexuality do this because they believe that this is God's way.
Churches that emphasis the exclusivistic nature of church do this because they believe this is God's way.
Churches that emphasis judgment of non-believers and are therefore unfriendly to non-believers do this because they believe this is teaching God's truth.

Hashe

Mar 1, 2014
KingJ said:
I can't think of a single thing Jesus said that would apply only to the Jews.
That is true, but you have start with context. You have to start with the fact that Jesus spoke his words first to Jews in the 1st century. If you just take them and apply them to every situation it is very poor exegesis.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Hashe, re-read your post you said ''not unbelievers of today''. Do you want to edit that?

You want correct exegesis....lets consider this thread.

River is promoting liberal Christianity like a snake. You are agreeing with her and providing a blur / distraction to my post identifying and exposing her.

YES, Jesus spoke to the Jews, YES the Jews had the prophets and are more accountable for sin when asking for a sign....but NO, this does not exempt any today doing likewise when we have the Holy Spirit.