Bible versions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Boston

Oct 18, 2009
What is everyone favorite Bible version?I prefer the NASB. I enjoy the literal translations especially for study.I also have NIV, KJV, RSV, ASV, RC, Gen, I enjoy them all and sometimes refer to them to have a better understanding at times. But my favorite is NASV: New American Standard Bible.

gumby

May 29, 2009
Any version except the NIV basically, i love my new american standard the most though. For my taste it flows the best and describes things and events in great detail.

Christian Commando

Nov 8, 2007
My favorites are all KJV's from the 1611 version and 5 others from there to 1970 I have. I also have amplified versions to go with 3 of them, along with 4 concordances dating back to 1930s, plus an old webster's dictionary from the 1940s with original Bible references to go along with words in it. God Bless!!

bigdummy

Feb 1, 2008
Boston;73627]What is everyone favorite Bible version? I prefer the NASB. I enjoy the literal translations especially for study. I also have NIV said:
I prefer the NKJV but have read portions of others also as I tend to compare most newer versions with the KJV and in doing so have discovered a discripency. Where the KJV and NKJ reports the conversation that Peter is having with Jesus as to how many times he should forgive those who wronged him Jesus says 70 times 7 but in the NET bible it is stated as 7 times 7. I guess you could say "No big deal" as I don't think Jesus was being literal , but it is an error on someones part non the less.

oneway

May 30, 2009
Christian Commando;73644]My favorites are all KJV said:
Wow!! Nice collection you got there.I am a KJV with a Strong's Concordance person and when needed I study with a Green's Interlinear.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ebay + Amazon + Local Yardsales/Second Hand Stores = Good Bible DealsI hear ya Christian Commando, sounds like yours is a little more complete than mine. For base study I use a KJV. I've got several copies of it I use, but my favorite is the Companion Bible by E W Bullinger. I also have a copy of the 1611 KJV (which I recommend) as well as the Geneva Bible. From there, I have a couple versions which I use from time to time. My favorite of those is a NKJV Study Bible. I also have copies I periodically consult of the NIV and NRSV, but I admittedly use them sparingly (the only reason I have the NRSV is it was required in two college courses I took). I'm looking to purchase a good NASB version and probably an ESV as well. I'm interested in the Literary Study ESV Bible, I'd like to pick that one up.That ends my print collection, I'd like to come up with some other Bibles. I have a couple different versions of software, but I can only read them so long. They give you just about every other major version and then some. (A great alternative that is free is to use the online versions or download E-Sword.)As far concordances/dictionaries go, I have several copies of the Strong's ranging from new to older, with the oldest being from the 1946. I'd really love to find an earlier version for sure! My other big resource is an 1884 copy of Smith's Bible Dictionary Teacher's Edition (it was a fluke I came across it). The software I have includes many of the other major commentaries. Last but not least, I have the 4 volume set of Green's Interlinear which I LOVE.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
SwampFox;73874]Ebay + Amazon + Local Yardsales/Second Hand Stores = Good Bible Deals I hear ya Christian Commando said:
Please explain the Interlinear and how it aids a student. I have been considering it lately but I truly don't know exactly what it is...or how it helps.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An Interlinear Bible is basically a Bible that prints the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek text alongside a literal English translation. In the case of Green's Interlinear, it also includes the Strong's reference numbers. The versions used are the Masoretic text for the Old Testament and the Textus Receptus for the New Testament.It's a great aid to bridge Strong's and the actual Word of God, because you really are seeing the original language in action.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
SwampFox;73878]An Interlinear Bible is basically a Bible that prints the original Hebrew said:
Thank you. I have been relying too strongly on the Companion Bible for that I think. As soon as money loosens up a bit, if it ever will again....I'll purchase it for you have certainly made it seem worthwhile.

E

Elaine

Loved all the previous posts. Started with a RSV Jan '06. So,I stick with it with all my markings :) Also compare with KJV,NKJV, AMP, never the NIV or NLT.Sometimes New Jerusalem bec Catholics had a thread like this and many loved it - so I got it. ( I highly recommend 40% coupons at Borders) I will check out the New American Standard.I also bought the Catholic Edition, but have not looked at it yet.Thanks all.

Dad of 3

Sep 17, 2006
Is there any version that eliminates the fact that Jesus had brothers and sisters? Mark 6:3 makes it clear he did and Matthew 1:25 states that he was the firstborn, obviously meaning that there were siblings to follow. I grew up Catholic and know that the church denies this and claims that those brothers and sisters are actually "cousins," but the Greek word for brother, adelphos, I think (and all of its related forms), makes no mention of cousins. Anyway, just curious.