Biggest Regret In Your Life

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is, if any, your most biggest regret?
Mine is that I did not come to Him until late in life and so wish we could go back in time. But that is one thing He does not give us back, what is done is done.
How different our lives who have come to him late in life, could have been early on.
Anyone else have a "biggest regret"?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My regret is similar Nancy and it is that I wasn't allowed to go to the mission church where I gave my heart to Jesus at the age of 10 or 11. My parents insisted I keep attending my usual Sunday school where we never heard the full gospel message. As a consequence it was 25 years later that I finally got the nurturing and began my new life.

But I do think it's pretty pointless to have regrets if we can't go back and change anything.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mine is that I did not come to Him until late in life and so wish we could go back in time. But that is one thing He does not give us back, what is done is done.
How different our lives who have come to him late in life, could have been early on.

assuming you are asking if there is one but all I can think of is many, so many I can’t say which is the most regret. Immaturity which resulted in an abortion when I was a teen, then how I behaved as a mother and a wife, my priorities all messed up, having no relationship or interest in God for a long time. All that building to things that caused a lot of pain and possibly irreconcilable hatred and loss relationships. So much so that today it all seems unable to be repaired since it spilled over into so much damage and once what we have put out there has grown there is no controlling it. Makes me think of once pandora is let out of the box, there is no closing it? I’m not even sure who pandora is, maybe once the cat is let out of the bag is a better expression?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
assuming you are asking if there is one but all I can think of is many, so many I can’t say which is the most regret. Immaturity which resulted in an abortion when I was a teen, then how I behaved as a mother and a wife, my priorities all messed up, having no relationship or interest in God for a long time. All that building to things that caused a lot of pain and possibly irreconcilable hatred and loss relationships. So much so that today it all seems unable to be repaired since it spilled over into so much damage and once what we have put out there has grown there is no controlling it. Makes me think of once pandora is let out of the box, there is no closing it? I’m not even sure who pandora is, maybe once the cat is let out of the bag is a better expression?

Oh yes Victory, there are still MANY regrets in my life but, the biggest for myself is the fact that I did not start to be a disciple until late in life.

"So much so that today it all seems unable to be repaired since it spilled over into so much damage and once what we have put out there has grown there is no controlling it."

God has come through for me abundantly, I do not deserve a single good thing from Him yet, He still gives all good things to us. So hard to feel His presence through our trials. We are all still growing (Phil 2:12) and when we falter, we MUST trust Him to lift us up.
My prayer for you is that God will give you His joy and peace and that He will bless your marriage, your walk and your faith.
How good He is , and it always seems to be that He acts at the last minute...but His timing is perfect.
I pray for your peace...I fret ALLOT...but, once I settle down and remember His words, I become still and "KNOW that He is God"
Praying for you sister.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's hard, Nancy, because I often struggle with "what ifs." If I had just stayed in "such and such" (location) or never allowed "this" or "that" ....maybe my granddaughter wouldn't have been stolen ...or maybe my son would still be here. :( They were both casualties of war ....know what I mean?

I think my biggest regret ....maybe(?) ...is allowing my husband to persuade me to go back and live close to the church (whose pastor is a cult handler). I wasn't conscious of that back then, but I knew I wasn't happy there and neither were the kids. I wish we had never gone back. But then, we also had many other issues .....such as my husband's anger ....bc anytime we strayed from the cult's instructions, he was a very volatile and angry man.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's hard, Nancy, because I often struggle with "what ifs." If I had just stayed in "such and such" (location) or never allowed "this" or "that" ....maybe my granddaughter wouldn't have been stolen ...or maybe my son would still be here. :( They were both casualties of war ....know what I mean?

I think my biggest regret ....maybe(?) ...is allowing my husband to persuade me to go back and live close to the church (whose pastor is a cult handler). I wasn't conscious of that back then, but I knew I wasn't happy there and neither were the kids. I wish we had never gone back. But then, we also had many other issues .....such as my husband's anger ....bc anytime we strayed from the cult's instructions, he was a very volatile and angry man.

Oh the "what ifs!!! waste of energy yet, we, I believe, will always have regrets, and it is not such a bad thing (unless we are self condemning) if we learn and grow from them and are sincerely repentant :)

Matt is in such an awesome place right now...the pain, grief is what you go "through" not a place to stay.... and, I pray God will give you a dream/vision of how healthy and happy he is right now!!! Pretty sure you would not wish him back into this un-Godly world to continue to suffer.

1 Corinthians 2:9
9 But as it is written:
“Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
Nor have entered into the heart of man
The things which God has prepared for those who love Him.”

And Matt surely did love Him
Lotsa of love!
xoxo

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh the "what ifs!!! waste of energy yet, we, I believe, will always have regrets, and it is not such a bad thing (unless we are self condemning) if we learn and grow from them and are sincerely repentant :)

Matt is in such an awesome place right now...the pain, grief is what you go "through" not a place to stay.... and, I pray God will give you a dream/vision of how healthy and happy he is right now!!! Pretty sure you would not wish him back into this un-Godly world to continue to suffer.

9 But as it is written:

Lotsa of love!
xoxo

P.S., I pray for your husband and nobody is out of His reach.

Reactions: TLHKAJ and Lambano

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

9 But as it is written:

Lotsa of love!
xoxo
Yes, ma'am, he sure did.❤️
You know, I still cry sometimes ....sometimes a little, and sometimes a whole lot. But one day about a year and a half ago, I was weeping and sorrowing so deeply with grief when all the sudden God gave me a glimpse of what Matt was experiencing at that present moment. I caught a glimpse of the presence and communion with God that Matt was (is) experiencing and it nearly overwhelmed me!! My tears of sorrow turned to tears of joy and worship!! It was so powerful and intense, I could only stand a glimpse. We definitely need our heavenly bodies to be able to be in His presence!!❤️

I sure do love you, sister .... you're such a blessing to me.❤️

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy and Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think all parents have regrets about how they handled certain situations. We have all beaten ourselves up over something.
Yeah.

To give a shorter and more circumspect version of the earlier post I deleted, there are so many things I would have done differently as a young stepfather of two preteen and later teenage boys. Perhaps our oldest would’ve made different life-choices and our youngest might’ve come to faith in Christ, instead of bitterly rejecting a God who permits some horrible evils to exist.

Spiritually, I regret the 30 years in the wilderness caught between belief in God and trust in God. But I know that wilderness experience has shaped me into what I am, for better or worse.

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My regret is similar Nancy and it is that I wasn't allowed to go to the mission church where I gave my heart to Jesus at the age of 10 or 11. My parents insisted I keep attending my usual Sunday school where we never heard the full gospel message. As a consequence it was 25 years later that I finally got the nurturing and began my new life.

But I do think it's pretty pointless to have regrets if we can't go back and change anything.

"But I do think it's pretty pointless to have regrets if we can't go back and change anything."

Agreed, it is pointless and a waste of time and energy.

Reactions: Pearl and TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"But I do think it's pretty pointless to have regrets if we can't go back and change anything."

Agreed, it is pointless and a waste of time and energy.
But since we all do have regrets, it's good to be honest about them before God so that He can bring comfort. ❤️

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even if we come to Christ late in life, we get paid the same.

The Parable of the Workers

1“For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire workers for his vineyard. 2He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard. 3About the third hour he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. 4‘You also go into my vineyard,’ he said, ‘and I will pay you whatever is right.’ 5So they went.

He went out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour and did the same thing. 6About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. ‘Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?’ he asked. 7‘Because no one has hired us,’ they answered.

So he told them, ‘You also go into my vineyard.’ 8When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, ‘Call the workers and pay them their wages, starting with the last ones hired and moving on to the first.’ 9The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. 10So when the original workers came, they assumed they would receive more. But each of them also received a denarius. 11On receiving their pay, they began to grumble against the landowner. 12‘These men who were hired last worked only one hour,’ they said, ‘and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day.’ 13But he answered one of them, ‘Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Did you not agree with me on one denarius? 14Take your pay and go. I want to give this last man the same as I gave you. 15Do I not have the right to do as I please with what is mine? Or are you envious because I am generous?’ 16So the last will be first, and the first will be last.”

Reactions: Lambano

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, ma'am, he sure did.❤️
You know, I still cry sometimes ....sometimes a little, and sometimes a whole lot. But one day about a year and a half ago, I was weeping and sorrowing so deeply with grief when all the sudden God gave me a glimpse of what Matt was experiencing at that present moment. I caught a glimpse of the presence and communion with God that Matt was (is) experiencing and it nearly overwhelmed me!! My tears of sorrow turned to tears of joy and worship!! It was so powerful and intense, I could only stand a glimpse. We definitely need our heavenly bodies to be able to be in His presence!!❤️

I sure do love you, sister .... you're such a blessing to me.❤️

Oh, wow, how beautifully compassionate He is to us.
"My tears of sorrow turned to tears of joy and worship!!"

And, how fast that happens! To be able to and be obedient to Him and lift our hands in praise and worship. Hard to do when in the storms for sure, but I am finding that is THE time especially, to lift up our hands in praise! Empty hands so He will fill them with the things of Him.

Cannot imagine how beautifully bright it is with the Lord, and seeing things "through a glass darkly" as we do...just look directly into the sun one sunny day, eyes wide open...and THAT is through a glass darkly! Matt is so happy right now as he is absent in body to us but, alive in the spirit with Christ.

"I sure do love you, sister …. you're such a blessing to me."

Awwww! And likewise, wish we were nearer as I would hire you to be a mentor, you divide the scriptures rightly and well.

What an awesome share and experience sister.
I love you too!
In Him at all times!
xo

Reactions: Lambano and TLHKAJ

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But since we all do have regrets, it's good to be honest about them before God so that He can bring comfort. ❤️
For reals! Nothing is hidden from Him, I love that. He knows our thoughts, our hearts even when we don't or...won't?
Nobody can bring the kind of comfort He does.

lilygrace

Dec 22, 2020
philadelphia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
being around the wrong people who hurt me and me not doing anything about it.
telling anything to anyone because i am branded as a liar.

i dont know who would make up about a male friend of a sister's friend would be abusive. denial could be a form of guilt but still. it is unsettling that i am considered just mentally ill.
i always wonder if im just really a computer system fabricating stuff.
why would i make up that someone wanted to do music with me but wanted um ....pictures of me
i regret leaving here because apparently thats a symptom of being mentally ill to people. :/ nevermind i thought i was trying to save myself.

Reactions: Lambano and Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

i dont know who would make up about a male friend of a sister's friend would be abusive. denial could be a form of guilt but still. it is unsettling that i am considered just mentally ill.
i always wonder if im just really a computer system fabricating stuff.
why would i make up that someone wanted to do music with me but wanted um ....pictures of me
i regret leaving here because apparently thats a symptom of being mentally ill to people. :/ nevermind i thought i was trying to save myself.

I'm sorry Lilly, something LIKE that happened to me too, the people were unfriendly, unwelcoming and someone from there needed yet another place to live, she is on welfare so, even though I did not want her at my home, I let her come live here for very little in rent. She was here almost 2 years and helped me with nothing but always had her hand out for money and rides, even just around the corner! When she left, no notice, no rent for the month she was here last right into the middle of it. She stole everything I had up stairs, she lies, she is manipulated but she seems to have an "in" with the pastor. From there, the people were even MORE unkind. I felt invisible.
I myself am on 3 meds sister, I too would be considered "mentally ill". I am going to pray for you right now, and throughout the days when He brings you to my mind.
Put on some praise and worship music, and raise your hands to Him, even if you do not "feel" like doing it, but He WILL lift your spirits sister.
Be encouraged, He already saved you and, you do not have to go anywhere where you are mistreated. I still after a year and a half feel un forgiveness in me about that but quickly ask God for the grace to really mean it. It's getting easier :)

Last edited:

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Living with horrible secrets you’re afraid to tell anybody is worse than being branded a liar. Even if it gets you branded as a liar, don’t ever regret telling the truth.

Reactions: Nancy and TLHKAJ