Bill Nye confident and strong ken ham mild weak and meek

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Evolutionary Scientist Bill Nye was trying to ridicule Noah's Ark by asking how unskilled boat builders could build something so large

Good point .... I wonder about that too ... large wooden timbers can be very heavy and cumbersome to handle .

I would like to point Mr Nye toward irrefutable scientific evidence that humans did construct something even larger from stone ..... which Mr Nye knows is much heavier and cumbersome to work with than wood .

Wooden Ark ........ 450 feet long ....... 75 feet wide .......45 feet high
Stone Pyramid .... 1300 feet long .... 1300 feet wide ..... 180 feet high

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evolutionary scientist Bill Nye also stated that in modern day a very large wooden boat was constructed but it eventually failed because of the constant twisting and turning of the hull from ocean waves ... it ended up floundering in a storm , fell apart and sank

He is correct about the failed wooden ship , however he assumes there were crashing waves during Noah's flood .... no such thing is mentioned in Genesis ... it says the water rose and receded at constant rates .... sounds like the ark only had to float .... it did not have to survive crashing storm tossed waves.

No religion or blind faith was required for the construction of this post.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
So an entire globe is covered in water....no land or anything to slow down or impede winds in any way....plus apparently you also have entire continental plates shifting around in enormous ways...

...but the water is nice and calm? :blink:

See why young-earth creationism is so ridiculous?

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
ChristianJuggarnaut said:
Why can't a Christian see God in the gaps?
You can, but it comes with some degree of risk. History has shown that oftentimes, these gaps end up being filled. And if the logic behind the God of the Gaps is that "gaps = evidence for God", then logically "filled gaps = evidence against God".

There's also the intellectual issue of (as Ken Miller put it), seeing God in the darkness of our ignorance, rather than in the light of our knowledge.

After all there seems to be no problem with Darwin in the gaps.

Punctuated Equilibrium anyone?
Ok, so I'm going to put your request to me back to you. Please post a write-up, in your own words, of what you think PE is, what it involves, and why it was proposed.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
Hold on I will go get a paper I wrote in college.
In my own words.

A Harvard professor who could not reconcile the fossil record with the Cambrian explosion thereby questioning his undying devotion to Darwinism regardless of cost and even if it sends him to a devil 's hell, proposed that more oxygen must be the cause of a rapid increase in evolution never before seen.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
A Harvard professor who could not reconcile the fossil record with the Cambrian explosion thereby questioning his undying devotion to Darwinism regardless of cost and even if it sends him to a devil 's hell, proposed that more oxygen must be the cause of a rapid increase in evolution never before seen.
Ah well.....there ya' go. Another example of a creationist, who in the process of trying to speak authoritatively on a subject, actually ends up demonstrating that he really knows little to nothing about it.

And actually in your case, I'd say "nothing" is the better approximation.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
I have on my hard drive a PDF copy of Eldredge and Gould's 1972 paper "Punctuated Equilibria: An Alternative to Phylectic Gradualism", and you know what? It doesn't read one bit like what you describe. Your write-up didn't mention different modes of speciation, or anything at all about population genetics, let alone any of the other four main arguments they make.

Maybe you'd be better off checking Wiki than just making stuff up off the top of your head?

Oh, and again....I'm not an atheist. We can disagree on things, but there's no reason for you to stoop to such personal attacks.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
My "write up" was based in sarcasm. I realize the intellectual elite usually do not grasp the concept.

Nonetheless, all good sarcasm is based on an element of truth. PE was a response to the Cambrian explosion. The hypothesis boiled down to this event cannot be a challenge to Darwinian evolution. You cannot deny this honestly. You know this paradigm exists in science. Perhaps you don't as you are obviously engrossed in it.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
My "write up" was based in sarcasm. I realize the intellectual elite usually do not grasp the concept.
Ah, the "I was only kidding" defense. Nice.

PE was a response to the Cambrian explosion. The hypothesis boiled down to this event cannot be a challenge to Darwinian evolution. You cannot deny this honestly.
Yes I can, because I've read the papers on the subject and I know for a fact that it isn't at all what you seem to think it is.

You know this paradigm exists in science. Perhaps you don't as you are obviously engrossed in it.
Sorry, but empty, unsubstantiated "You know it's true" appeals from anonymous people on the internet who have demonstrated that they don't know the first thing about that subject aren't exactly persuasive.

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
As per your request I checked wiki. PE proponents acknowledge the fossil record does not support Darwinian evolution as species seem to remain uniform for long periods of time (stasis) and then "explode" (emphasis mine).

No scientist will ever admit their own bias. So you can dispense with you ancient chest thumping ritual you have won nothing.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
As per your request I checked wiki. PE proponents acknowledge the fossil record does not support Darwinian evolution as species seem to remain uniform for long periods of time (stasis) and then "explode" (emphasis mine).
In very basic terms, you're correct. Although keep in mind, "explode" is in geologic terms. And the Darwinian evolution that PE is counter to is more about the type of speciation (phyletic gradualism vs. parapatric speciation) than the "speed".

Did you also read this section? Common Misconceptions

If you come away from this discussion with nothing else but a future avoidance of those misconceptions, I'll be happy!

No scientist will ever admit their own bias. So you can dispense with you ancient chest thumping ritual you have won nothing.
Um........what? :blink:

ChristianJuggarnaut

Feb 20, 2012
No, I am correct on any terms. Nothing I have said has been incorrect I threw the oxygen jab in there as sarcasm but there is also truth in that assertion. It wasn't PE but another theory about the CE. I will find it for you.