Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgiveable.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Phi Run Ltd

Feb 26, 2017
Blasphemy is the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence to a deity, to religious or holy persons or sacred things, or toward something considered sacred or inviolable.

Contempt: the feeling that a person or a thing is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn.
"he showed his contempt for his job by doing it very badly"
synonyms: scorn, disdain, disrespect, scornfulness, contemptuousness, derision;
disregard for something that should be taken into account.
"this action displays an arrogant contempt for the wishes of the majority"
synonyms: disrespect, disregard, slighting, blaspheme

Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Merriam Webster's definition of blasphemy may very well be different than God's in this context. Let's be careful not to mistakenly close the gates of heaven for someone by being too broad with the definition.

But God is not looking for excuses to keep people out of heaven, because it is his desire that all be saved. So I suspect the definition it very specific, so as not to shut the gates of heaven for anyone due to technicalities.

It is accepted practice to let the bible interpret itself, and the incident with Jesus being accused of consorting with demons to do the miracles he did by the Holy Spirit was one example. I can't think of any other clear examples.

Phi Run Ltd

Feb 26, 2017
your post is a logical fallacy because if anyone was to doubt any definition in the dictionary, they would have to doubt the definition of 'Heaven' since:

no one has been to Heaven except the Son of Man who came from Heaven.
I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?
and, according to Christ and the (unchangeable) book of Revelation, no one goes to Heaven until the end of the last day.

so the fact is that you have never been to heaven and webster has never been to heaven. yet, you toss that phrase around as though you know what it means when clearly you don't.

and, i'm very sure you don't get to redefine words to absolve you of sins.

nonetheless, this is a fact:

Phi Run Ltd said:
Blasphemy is the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence to a deity, to religious or holy persons or sacred things, or toward something considered sacred or inviolable.

Contempt: the feeling that a person or a thing is beneath consideration, worthless, or deserving scorn.
"he showed his contempt for his job by doing it very badly"
synonyms: scorn, disdain, disrespect, scornfulness, contemptuousness, derision;
disregard for something that should be taken into account.
"this action displays an arrogant contempt for the wishes of the majority"
synonyms: disrespect, disregard, slighting, blaspheme

Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven, but is guilty of an eternal sin.

Phi Run Ltd said:
damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Phi Run Ltd

Feb 26, 2017
what's really funny to me is your attempt to change the definition of a word after what y'all did. it demonstrates a severe lack of repentance.

doesn't matter though, because you can't repent of an unforgiveable sin.

like i said: damned if you do, damned if you don't - but thanks for the laugh.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know, but it seems God is serious about blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

(Acts 5: 1-15) "But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession,
And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles' feet.
But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.
And Ananias hearing these words fell down, and gave up the ghost: and great fear came on all them that heard these things.
nd the young men arose, wound him up, and carried him out, and buried him.
And it was about the space of three hours after, when his wife, not knowing what was done, came in.
And Peter answered unto her, Tell me whether ye sold the land for so much? And she said, Yea, for so much.
Then Peter said unto her, How is it that ye have agreed together to tempt the Spirit of the Lord? behold, the feet of them which have buried thy husband are at the door, and shall carry thee out.
Then fell she down straightway at his feet, and yielded up the ghost: and the young men came in, and found her dead, and, carrying her forth, buried her by her husband.
And great fear came upon all the church, and upon as many as heard these things.
And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord in Solomon's porch.
And of the rest durst no man join himself to them: but the people magnified them.
And believers were the more added to the Lord, multitudes both of men and woman.)
Insomuch that they brought forth the sick into the streets, and laid them on beds and couches, that at least the shadow of Peter passing by might overshadow some of them."

A good dose of fear produced healthy reverence. I feel sometimes we water the gospel down to make it more tolerable, when maybe what we need to realize is: God is not playing. He says do not blaspheme the Holy Spirit...then it is not a suggestion.

Phi Run Ltd

Feb 26, 2017
The Holy Spirit cannot defy the Son or the Father, because these three are one.

And, all judgement belongs to the Son.

And, all who draw the sword will die by the sword.

slippery pete seemed to have forgotten these things fairly quickly when he killed those folks because of some money:

Parable of the Unforgiving Debtor
21 Then Peter came to him and asked, “Lord, how often should I forgive someone[SIZE=.625em][a][/SIZE] who sins against me? Seven times?”
22 “No, not seven times,” Jesus replied, “but seventy times seven![SIZE=.625em][b][/SIZE]
23 “Therefore, the Kingdom of Heaven can be compared to a king who decided to bring his accounts up to date with servants who had borrowed money from him. 24 In the process, one of his debtors was brought in who owed him millions of dollars.[SIZE=.625em][c][/SIZE] 25 He couldn’t pay, so his master ordered that he be sold—along with his wife, his children, and everything he owned—to pay the debt.
26 “But the man fell down before his master and begged him, ‘Please, be patient with me, and I will pay it all.’ 27 Then his master was filled with pity for him, and he released him and forgave his debt.
28 “But when the man left the king, he went to a fellow servant who owed him a few thousand dollars.[SIZE=.625em][d][/SIZE] He grabbed him by the throat and demanded instant payment.
29 “His fellow servant fell down before him and begged for a little more time. ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it,’ he pleaded. 30 But his creditor wouldn’t wait. He had the man arrested and put in prison until the debt could be paid in full.
31 “When some of the other servants saw this, they were very upset. They went to the king and told him everything that had happened. 32 Then the king called in the man he had forgiven and said, ‘You evil servant! I forgave you that tremendous debt because you pleaded with me. 33 Shouldn’t you have mercy on your fellow servant, just as I had mercy on you?’ 34 Then the angry king sent the man to prison to be tortured until he had paid his entire debt.
35 “That’s what my heavenly Father will do to you if you refuse to forgive your brothers and sisters[SIZE=.625em][e][/SIZE] from your heart.”

(my name isn't "peter", that's for sure)

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Phi Run Ltd said:
your post is a logical fallacy because if anyone was to doubt any definition in the dictionary, they would have to doubt the definition of 'Heaven' since:

no one has been to Heaven except the Son of Man who came from Heaven.
I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things?
and, according to Christ and the (unchangeable) book of Revelation, no one goes to Heaven until the end of the last day.

so the fact is that you have never been to heaven and webster has never been to heaven. yet, you toss that phrase around as though you know what it means when clearly you don't.

and, i'm very sure you don't get to redefine words to absolve you of sins.

nonetheless, this is a fact:
I did not say anything about going to heaven in the past tense. I said shut the gates of heaven, as to prevent access to it be that past present or future, I did not specify.

And you just made my point, Merriam Webster defines Heaven as follows:

1. 1: the expanse of space that seems to be over the earth like a dome : firmament —usually used in plural the brightest star in the heavens

2. 2a often capitalized : the dwelling place of the Deity and the blessed dead hopes to go toHeaven when she diesb : a spiritual state of everlasting communion with God

3. 3capitalized : god 1 Heaven help us.

4. 4: a place or condition of utmost happiness : something that is very pleasant or enjoyable Our week at the spa was sheer heaven.

5. 5Christian Science : a state of thought in which sin is absent and the harmony of divine Mind (see 1mind 8)is manifest
Do you tell me that you agree with all of these? Because I disagree with more of these definitions than I agree with.

And again you are making assumptions about my Intent, as I want to encourage the searching of the scriptures. Simply making a claim without evidence is not profitable for anyone... Especially you.

Phi Run Ltd

Feb 26, 2017
my only point was that it is duplicitous to attempt to question the meaning of a word to save your own self - and especially duplicitous to do it while using terms that you and webster cannot possibly know anything about.

Phi Run Ltd

Feb 26, 2017
oh, and my other point obviously is this:

Phi Run Ltd said:

Phi Run Ltd said:
as for evidence....a wicked and adulterous generation demands a sign. and a very wicked and adulterous generation disregards many signs.

Phi Run Ltd

Feb 26, 2017
there was an electrical fire on the 47th floor of the trump international hotel and tower on columbus circle this morning . i'm sure that means something.........

also....

fire destroyed k's auto repair at 74 willlis st shutting down oyster bay train service.

many other fires also....

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
lforrest said:
Merriam Webster's definition of blasphemy may very well be different than God's in this context. Let's be careful not to mistakenly close the gates of heaven for someone by being too broad with the definition.

But God is not looking for excuses to keep people out of heaven, because it is his desire that all be saved. So I suspect the definition it very specific, so as not to shut the gates of heaven for anyone due to technicalities.

It is accepted practice to let the bible interpret itself, and the incident with Jesus being accused of consorting with demons to do the miracles he did by the Holy Spirit was one example. I can't think of any other clear examples.
Agreed it has gotta be pretty specific, God's grace is greater than many of us think, so the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit Jesus speaks of has gotta be something pretty serious, because even Paul made it inside the gates of heaven. The word blasphemy today, has became so loosely used, that it has lost it's true original biblical meaning in modern day society, blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is probably very different and has a much narrower definition than what a lot of Christians think it is today, we only really see 1 example of it in the NT, the one that forrest mentioned, and that might be it... We don't need to complicate the meaning of it anymore..

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this age of grace all sins have been atoned for except one and it is not in the law. It is un-belief

Heb 9:14
14 how much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself without spot to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
NKJV

Heb 10:28-29
28 Anyone who has rejected Moses' law dies without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?
NKJV