Bragging

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Recently, I have run into several people, online and in real life, who equate working with people in need as simply another way to brag about their piety. As if Christ never called us to love people through service - and what we really should be spending our time doing is studying the scriptures and limiting our service to others to saving them from Hell.

This idea strikes me as strange and, conversely, as arrogant.

I agree that knowledge of scripture and doctrine is important for growth and orthodoxy, but isn't it easy to let that knowledge wither on the vine if it is never applied? It reminds me of a professor I had in graduate school - he would spend hours talking about all kinds of counseling theories and all the important people he had published with - all while making obvious that he looked down on the very counselors he was teaching because they were actually going to lower themselves to work with people! It was only later that I found out that he was actually afraid of people.

It seems to me that Christianity is a relationship with Christ, which demands relationships with others - if we are not willing to be vulnerable and get our hands dirty - we are burying our talents and wasting time. Nothing to brag about - it just is.

Finally, doesn't exalting yourself over others by name calling, sarcasm, indignation, and generalized contempt - all components of leveling your opponent in an argument, sound more like arrogance and bragging?

Comments?

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Recently, I have run into several people, online and in real life, who equate working with people in need as simply another way to brag about their piety. As if Christ never called us to love people through service - and what we really should be spending our time doing is studying the scriptures and limiting our service to others to saving them from Hell.

I agree that knowledge of scripture and doctrine is important for growth and orthodoxy, but isn't it easy to let that knowledge wither on the vine if it is never applied? It reminds me of a professor I had in graduate school - he would spend hours talking about all kinds of counseling theories and all the important people he had published with - all while making obvious that he looked down on the very counselors he was teaching because they were actually going to lower themselves to work with people! It was only later that I found out that he was actually afraid of people.

It seems to me that Christianity is a relationship with Christ, which demands relationships with others - if we are not willing to be vulnerable and get our hands dirty - we are burying our talents and wasting time. Nothing to brag about - it just is.

Finally, doesn't exalting yourself over others by name calling, sarcasm, indignation, and generalized contempt - all components of leveling your opponent in an argument, sound more like arrogance and bragging?

Comments?
I think bragging and arrogance are cover ups for the insecurities that one is trying to mask

Strat

Mar 25, 2012

Comments?

None of which is a problem if you keep what you do to yourself.,there is no reason for anyone to get on a public forum and tell all what they do...there is only one reason....you want people to know about it....this thread could be easily titled.........."All the great and wonderful things Aspen has done and all the suffering he has endured because of it"

grandma dolittle

May 23, 2012
Missouri
None of which is a problem if you keep what you do to yourself.,there is no reason for anyone to get on a public forum and tell all what they do...there is only one reason....you want people to know about it....this thread could be easily titled.........."All the great and wonderful things Aspen has done and all the suffering he has endured because of it"

Strat,
Be good. You have a great post, don't spoil it by picking an argument with Aspen. You are so right, Christ said not to let the right hand know what the left hand was doind. he doesn't want us to brag on what we do or how much we give. That is being self-righteous and making yourself look good to others.

don't take offense at my scolding you, but you often have great posts, but when you argue with someone, it takes away from the message of your post. I love you Brother, and I know you are better than than. Grandma

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Strat,
Be good. You have a great post, don't spoil it by picking an argument with Aspen. You are so right, Christ said not to let the right hand know what the left hand was doind. he doesn't want us to brag on what we do or how much we give. That is being self-righteous and making yourself look good to others.

don't take offense at my scolding you, but you often have great posts, but when you argue with someone, it takes away from the message of your post. I love you Brother, and I know you are better than than. Grandma

I guess i don't understand the need

grandma dolittle

May 23, 2012
Missouri
I guess i don't understand the need
The need for what? to be good. didn't your momma say, 'because I said so."? It used to drive one of my sons crazy for me to say that. But, it was so much fun to watch him rant for an hour telling me how that was not a good enough answer. And... the best part was he never caught on!

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
The need for what? to be good. didn't your momma say, 'because I said so."? It used to drive one of my sons crazy for me to say that. But, it was so much fun to watch him rant for an hour telling me how that was not a good enough answer. And... the best part was he never caught on!

The need to get on a public forum and tell everybody what you do in regard to charity and good works,this is in direct conflict with what the Bible teaches...welcome to the facebook nation where everybody has to let everybody else know all about them...it is nothing but self reigning supreme.

grandma dolittle

May 23, 2012
Missouri
The need to get on a public forum and tell everybody what you do in regard to charity and good works,this is in direct conflict with what the Bible teaches...welcome to the facebook nation where everybody has to let everybody else know all about them...it is nothing but self reigning supreme.
I have to admit, I don't care much for facebook. let it be Strat. I have a personal theory, if you pay attention to what someone says, then you make it important. If that person is not important to you ... why pay attention to what they say? Then why am I sticking my nose in to your posts? You are important to me as a brother in Christ and I hate to see you do this. This is not something Christ would approve of and he is Important!

Reactions: Rach1370

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Hmmm...maybe the reason for telling others what we do is to edify God for being so faithful that He provides for His children and provides a open door to tell others about Him...Maybe it is to encourage others to get off their backsides and be about the Lord's business...sitting at home or going to church is not what the Lord is about, a relationship is what He wants and when we have that He provides for us to do His work, to be His hands and feet, to speak into the lives of others..being a christian is not all about reading the word and going to church or posting on forums...It is getting the message across to the nations, to the brokenhearted, to the down trodden to the ones that feel hopelessness...to changing peoples lives through His love and through open doors that charity brings...just a thought...

Reactions: Shirley

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
Hmmm...maybe the reason for telling others what we do is to edify God for being so faithful that He provides for His children and provides a open door to tell others about Him...Maybe it is to encourage others to get off their backsides and be about the Lord's business...sitting at home or going to church is not what the Lord is about, a relationship is what He wants and when we have that He provides for us to do His work, to be His hands and feet, to speak into the lives of others..being a christian is not all about reading the word and going to church or posting on forums...It is getting the message across to the nations, to the brokenhearted, to the down trodden to the ones that feel hopelessness...to changing peoples lives through His love and through open doors that charity brings...just a thought...

The thing i like the most about modern christianity is it's incredible ability to rationalize...heck golly....you can do almost anything that violates the word of God and make it sound like the work of God....remember....the ends justify the means and it feels good to feel good about feeling good about yourself.

I have to admit, I don't care much for facebook. let it be Strat. I have a personal theory, if you pay attention to what someone says, then you make it important. If that person is not important to you ... why pay attention to what they say? Then why am I sticking my nose in to your posts? You are important to me as a brother in Christ and I hate to see you do this. This is not something Christ would approve of and he is Important!

Let it be ? oh i will...but since this is called a "forum" and a "chrsitian" one at that i will continue to define forum by its traditional meaning and express myself as a christian....if i had come to a place like this 25 years ago as a hopeless party animal my response would have been....cool ! this Jesus dude's got me covered no matter what do...party on Wayne...party on Garth.....see ya in heaven dude.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
May I make a small point Strat? You are indignant of those who would 'brag', and of 'Christians' who use Jesus' freedom to rationalise licentiousness. But I have to say that your manner of addressing these very 'sins', is well, kind of sinful. I'm not saying I disagree with you...indeed, too many things are let 'slide' today. But if we address those things in a snarky, bitter and almost mean way, doesn't that make us just as bad...only perhaps in a different way? And besides that, no one will listen to the truths you say, if you continue to say it like you do. You hear to many 'dudes'...but perhaps all others hear is 'ba humbug'. Just a thought.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Strat...sorry darling I do disagree, you have your opinion and I have mine..good thing we are all different...I think that aspen has been glorifing God by telling what God has done in blessing his minisrty..but as I said my opinion only...

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Strat...sorry darling I do disagree, you have your opinion and I have mine..good thing we are all different...I think that aspen has been glorifing God by telling what God has done in blessing his minisrty..but as I said my opinion only...

I agree. We must always be mindful that everyone is different, and sees things in different ways. It would be hard to talk of the amazing things God is doing in your life and in the lives of people you see/work with/for etc, without mentioning yourself in some way! For some this could be a form of bragging, but for others, no, its just how they speak and see things. We mustn't assume something is bragging; and I suppose too, we must be careful fof 'false' humility. It can both ways, if you think of it. They both exist...I think care must be taken before automatically assuming which is which.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I just love it when my Brothers and sisters brag about what our God is doing!!!! I want to hear all the testimonies of how good God is and how we can do his work. Not for our glory but for his. I love to hear how God blesses, helps and uses his children. It inspires and encourages me greatly. We don't take the credit but encourage one another by telling how his work is done in our lives. Also by being humble and realizing that with out the Holy Spirits help it is only works and does not count.
Father please help me not to bury my talents but to do your work and brag of all your good works on the earth! I love you God!!!!

Strat

Mar 25, 2012

Let no sin go unexcused....one can only hope that his new disciples are just as unconcerned about doctrine and truth as he is and has said he is here.

I agree. We must always be mindful that everyone is different, and sees things in different ways. It would be hard to talk of the amazing things God is doing in your life and in the lives of people you see/work with/for etc, without mentioning yourself in some way! For some this could be a form of bragging, but for others, no, its just how they speak and see things. We mustn't assume something is bragging; and I suppose too, we must be careful fof 'false' humility. It can both ways, if you think of it. They both exist...I think care must be taken before automatically assuming which is which.

Now thats a classic...some people obey the word of God and others don't because they are different and see things differently....did you realy mean to write that ? i hope you can appreciate the logic and slippery slope that would lead to.....could my most recent rebuke been challenged successfuly with such a reply...it's just the way i am ?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Now thats a classic...some people obey the word of God and others don't because they are different and see things differently....did you realy mean to write that ? i hope you can appreciate the logic and slippery slope that would lead to.....could my most recent rebuke been challenged successfuly with such a reply...it's just the way i am ?

Okay, I see some clarification is needed, sorry. Remember the times Paul says "copy me"?

Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. (Philippians 3:17)

Kind of sounds boastful and arrogant, right? But as 1: Paul said it, and 2: it's included in scripture, we must therefore surmise that it is meaningful to us in some way.

My point was this...just because someone has said: 'I did this', does not mean they were bragging. It is possible they were illustrating what they had seen Jesus do, before them or through them. Just because they are in the story, doesn't mean they are giving glory to themselves in the story.
Another possibility is that yes, they were talking about themselves...the story is about them. But this does not therefore mean that they are bragging. As Christians grow, be it through falling and getting up or triumph...both inevitably through the grace of the Spirit of God...we want to share what God is doing in us...what we have learnt through our experiences. If this was not a good and godly way for us to learn...from the experiences of others, than we may as well toss out all the extraordinary books we have from the old and wise theologians.

So, no, I did not mean that just because we 'see' things differently, that truth therefore becomes subjective. Not at all. I'm just saying that you may see Aspen as bragging, but in his heart, he may just be sharing something wonderful that God has done. I'm just urging a little caution and care before we label a brother a bragger, is all. My point of differences comes in here....your personality may lean towards not talking about all of this...you see it as bragging, and for it to be a private matter between you and God...for quiet reflection and glory to him. Others, however, might feel the need to shout this wonder from the roof top! I find I usually fall in between! I'm happy to talk about how I've seen God working in my life, and what I've witnessed him doing around me, but I'm not that happy/clappy type either!

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think people who brag are getting their self esteem from others - they almost demand it and I think it is pretty obvious. For me, I get my self worth from Christ - so what other people think about me does not affect me very much - I admit I do not like to be misunderstood, but as far as bragging - it just isn't fulfilling.

Strat

Mar 25, 2012
I think people who brag are getting their self esteem from others - they almost demand it and I think it is pretty obvious. For me, I get my self worth from Christ - so what other people think about me does not affect me very much - I admit I do not like to be misunderstood, but as far as bragging - it just isn't fulfilling.

So its ok for you to tell everyone what you do,which is forbidden,because you don't care what others think of you,its the word of God you don't care about...no matter how the road of rationalization winds and twist it always comes back to you being able to do as you please doesn't it,Aspen first,word of God second....because its all about you to start with....lets put you aside for just a moment and see what the Bible has to say about it

Matthew 6 3-4

3 "But when thou doest alms let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth"

4 "That thine alms may be in secret,and thy father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly"....these are the words of Jesus by the way, the one who loves perfectly what you so often claim to pursue.

I will now wait to hear all the excuses and rationalizations as to why none of this applies to you....while you continue in your pursuit of perfect "love"

Okay, I see some clarification is needed, sorry. Remember the times Paul says "copy me"?

Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. (Philippians 3:17)

Kind of sounds boastful and arrogant, right? But as 1: Paul said it, and 2: it's included in scripture, we must therefore surmise that it is meaningful to us in some way.

My point was this...just because someone has said: 'I did this', does not mean they were bragging. It is possible they were illustrating what they had seen Jesus do, before them or through them. Just because they are in the story, doesn't mean they are giving glory to themselves in the story.
Another possibility is that yes, they were talking about themselves...the story is about them. But this does not therefore mean that they are bragging. As Christians grow, be it through falling and getting up or triumph...both inevitably through the grace of the Spirit of God...we want to share what God is doing in us...what we have learnt through our experiences. If this was not a good and godly way for us to learn...from the experiences of others, than we may as well toss out all the extraordinary books we have from the old and wise theologians.

So, no, I did not mean that just because we 'see' things differently, that truth therefore becomes subjective. Not at all. I'm just saying that you may see Aspen as bragging, but in his heart, he may just be sharing something wonderful that God has done. I'm just urging a little caution and care before we label a brother a bragger, is all. My point of differences comes in here....your personality may lean towards not talking about all of this...you see it as bragging, and for it to be a private matter between you and God...for quiet reflection and glory to him. Others, however, might feel the need to shout this wonder from the roof top! I find I usually fall in between! I'm happy to talk about how I've seen God working in my life, and what I've witnessed him doing around me, but I'm not that happy/clappy type either!

All i am doing is standing for what the bible has to say about it...time and time again scripture is quoted to me when somebody thinks i have not sufficiently submitted myself to them and their emotions