Bullinger's Influence

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Samuel Pickens

Feb 10, 2010
USA
Since Bullinger was a priest in the Church of England; do you find their influence in the text and/or book he has written.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there influence - perhaps yes I think a case could be made for various little things. Is he hook, line, and sinker Anglican? I'd like to see that case be made...it would be scoffed at to say the least.

Question for you: would that make him less of a Christian?

Samuel Pickens

Feb 10, 2010
USA
Is there influence - perhaps yes I think a case could be made for various little things. Is he hook, line, and sinker Anglican? I'd like to see that case be made...it would be scoffed at to say the least.

Question for you: would that make him less of a Christian?

My English and Scotish friends don't think much of his works. I am not his judge. I do not nor did ever know the man. If he is indeed a Christian, then he is a Christian - God knows.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bullinger was well studied and knew much more than many pastors would these days about the original language. I can see where he would ruffle feathers, but hey learned men of God have done it all throughout history. Was he correct on everything? No, but the same could be said about me, you, and your friends there. He's definitely a good resource to consider, and I've yet to find any Bible as comprehensive as the Companion Bible. Study Bibles these days are more concerned with simply presenting the doctrine of the authors/translators whereas in the very least it can be said Bullinger tries to provide the reason why he arrived at something.

Anyways, this American likes him, which I don't think is a secret. ;)

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
Bullinger was probably the most gifted man to walk the earth since Jesus himself. He took more guff from his own church than he did from the Jews. He said so himself. It baffles the mind to see the volumes of work on so many subjects put out by one man. Through some of his books he has taught me the rules of engagement on reading scripture, something not even touched on by many denominations. Rightly dividing is something people talk about but rarely have the tools to actually do. Just my observation. Am I a pro on this, no, just a student, but I know of some of the rules.

Thank you Bully!

Irish

Samuel Pickens

Feb 10, 2010
USA
Bullinger is the originator of Ultradispensationalism, at times referred to as Bullingerism.[10]. Ultradispensationalism differs from dispensationalism with regard to the beginning of the church. Mainstream dispensationalists hold that the church began in Acts 2, while ultradispensationalists believe the church began at some point after Acts 2 (i.e., Acts 9-13 or after Acts 28). Bullinger's views included mortality of the soul, the cessation of the soul between death and resurrection.[11] While Bullinger did not express any views concerning the final state of the lost, many of his followers did hold to annihilationism. Bullinger was editor of a monthly journal Things to Come for 19 years, and contributed many articles.

Bullinger described dispensations as divine "administrations" or "arrangements" wherein God deals at distinct time periods and with distinct groups of people "on distinct principles, and the doctrine relating to each must be kept distinct". He emphasizes that "Nothing but confusion can arise from reading into one dispensation that which relates to another." {Companion Bible, [12]} He listed seven dispensations in the Bible:

He is one to be taken very carefully. He was a priest of the CoE. He held some odd views where much caution must be employed if one is to read his materials.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He is one to be taken very carefully. He was a priest of the CoE. He held some odd views where much caution must be employed if one is to read his materials.

Yep, you're right there, he did write a couple works on the Pre-Trib. Rapture that we need to discard. ;)

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
Bullingers use of the word rapture was unfortunate because of the value placed on it now with all that goes along with it. Bullinger seen that the Church of God was not seen in the Judgement scenes, he is correct. Look at it this way, when we moved from the dispensation of law into the dispensation of grace, did people suddenly change. Did everybody look at one another and say did you feel that,....no! It's a different standing or set of rules. Some things had changed. When we move into the laws of the kingdom, will people think we are still in the dispensation of grace, most will unfortunately. Remember in Matt 24 where it talks about pray that your flight not be on the sabbath or the winter, and we read right after that that the times should be shortened save no FLESH be saved,...........here we move fully into another dispensation and practically no one realizes it.

wayofthespirit

More often partly wrong than wholly right
Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
I find that some of Bullinger's convictions match my own.
I find that some of Bullinger's convictions conflict with my own.
I find that I am intriqued but unabe to fall in line, with the remainder.
I find that to be the case with many 'theologians'.
I imagine that there will be many who find likewise, although not necessarily with the same list in each category.
Is not this healthy?

The only time I came across 'Bullingerism' in my UK Forum came in the form of an American for whom promotion of the theology was very much an 'agenda'.
I admit to doing my utmost to chase him off the forum.....but not so much because of his views as because of his desperately insular bigotry in presenting them.
Would he have been an exception, or is that a characteristic of Bullingerism?
The memory is now beginning to re-awaken....he was followed by a chap who pronounced himself to be a 'Mid Acts Dispensationalist' and he was somewhat similarly insular in his outlook.

I hope you folk are more deferential to the darkened glass in promoting whatever is your 'speciality'.

Mike.

jerryjohnson

Nov 6, 2009
...I hope you folk are more deferential to the darkened glass in promoting whatever is your 'speciality'.

Mike.

Mike,
As I read many of our posts and web site I see that you also have your “’speciality.’" You seem to have all ready decided.

PS: Your art looks great.

wayofthespirit

More often partly wrong than wholly right
Feb 16, 2010
North Norfolk, UK
Mike,
As I read many of your posts and web site I see that you also have your “’speciality.’" You seem to have all ready decided.

Ah yes, but the difference is that my 'speciality' is to not hold anything with an assertiveness that does not give due cognisance to the darkened glass.

About the essentiality of that in a believer's life I have indeed "already decided".

Mike.

Irish

Jan 31, 2010
Ah yes, but the difference is that my 'speciality' is to not hold anything with an assertiveness that does not give due cognisance to the darkened glass.

About the essentiality of that in a believer's life I have indeed "already decided".

Mike.

I find sometimes it's the darkened glass, sometimes it's the opaqueness disguised as a whiter shade of pale..........(Sometimes I kill myself)

Irish

Glenn

Apr 5, 2009
Bullingers use of the word rapture was unfortunate because of the value placed on it now with all that goes along with it. Bullinger seen that the Church of God was not seen in the Judgement scenes, he is correct. Look at it this way, when we moved from the dispensation of law into the dispensation of grace, did people suddenly change. Did everybody look at one another and say did you feel that,....no! It's a different standing or set of rules. Some things had changed. When we move into the laws of the kingdom, will people think we are still in the dispensation of grace, most will unfortunately. Remember in Matt 24 where it talks about pray that your flight not be on the sabbath or the winter, and we read right after that that the times should be shortened save no FLESH be saved,...........here we move fully into another dispensation and practically no one realizes it.

I think most are coming from the falsh perception that their spiritual Israel, and still see salvation as probational.

The hope of the pentacostal period was prophetic, with the goal of having the kingdom restored to Israel, a blessing to all the nations, with the heavenly Jerusalem coming down from God out of heaven, and is the scriptural well that everyone drinks from when trying to defend, or disregard the escape from the wrath to come concerning that Acts body which contained Jew, and partaking Gentiles of their spiritual things from root of Jesse.
Myself being from the Act 28 position see no relevant prophetic scripture concerning the creation, or completion of the one new man, and the manifestation of his heavenly hope, prior to his revelation post Acts.

Grace, Glen.

I find that some of Bullinger's convictions match my own.
I find that some of Bullinger's convictions conflict with my own.
I find that I am intriqued but unabe to fall in line, with the remainder.
I find that to be the case with many 'theologians'.
I imagine that there will be many who find likewise, although not necessarily with the same list in each category.
Is not this healthy?

The only time I came across 'Bullingerism' in my UK Forum came in the form of an American for whom promotion of the theology was very much an 'agenda'.
I admit to doing my utmost to chase him off the forum.....but not so much because of his views as because of his desperately insular bigotry in presenting them.
Would he have been an exception, or is that a characteristic of Bullingerism?
The memory is now beginning to re-awaken....he was followed by a chap who pronounced himself to be a 'Mid Acts Dispensationalist' and he was somewhat similarly insular in his outlook.

I hope you folk are more deferential to the darkened glass in promoting whatever is your 'speciality'.

Mike.

Broad brush strokes.