Can men with tattoos be saved?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Re. the title, Can men, etc...it's good to remember actually than in North America statistics apparently show that 59% -70% or more of tattoo parlor clients are actually women (presumably a proportion Christian women).

Huperetes

Dec 10, 2019
Millington
www.grex.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn't this just about sum it up?

2 Co 5:17-18 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;

I don't advocate a christian getting a tattoo but it appears to me from the verses above that God can use tattoos we received in the past as unbelievers to reconcile others to Christ. Perhaps even those that think they are doomed and see no hope for salvation whatsoever?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: @rockytopva In the case of true, saving faith, this would of course be sometimes permanent; and a faith based tattoo would thus be of permanent import, so to speak.
Permanent import? Hmmm it seems to me it would be limited to our allotted time here:

"Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it." Ecc 12:7

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, of course one can be saved who has tattoos.
Unless, of course, the tattoos are a sign of their defiance and contempt for God's creation, and thus, reveal the nature of one's heart. And thus, it is not the tattoo that condemns, but what it signifies.

On the other hand, I have two myself and absolutely despise them. Not just because of what the images are, but also due to the principle behind my getting the tattoo in the first place, which I feel applies to everyone that has one .
I am adamantly against tattoos for anyone. I feel that they deface God's creation, and expose an entirely misguided and pretentious attitude, for the one who decides to carry them on their body. I can't think of one good reason how anyone can justify such a permanent, defiant and superficial act?
God did not design the body to be a canvas, especially of images that 99% of the time, have nothing to do with gratitude towards God.
Even if one cares to argue that either a crucifix or Jesus' name written on their arm, can only be regarded as being done in praise of God, I appeal to the adage that states; 'if you feel a need to wear it, it's because you're not living it'!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes, of course one can be saved who has tattoos.
Unless, of course, the tattoos are a sign of their defiance and contempt for God's creation, and thus, reveal the nature of one's heart. And thus, it is not the tattoo that condemns, but what it signifies.

On the other hand, I have two myself and absolutely despise them. Not just because of what the images are, but also due to the principle behind my getting the tattoo in the first place, which I feel applies to everyone that has one .
I am adamantly against tattoos for anyone. I feel that they deface God's creation, and expose an entirely misguided and pretentious attitude, for the one who decides to carry them on their body. I can't think of one good reason how anyone can justify such a permanent, defiant and superficial act?
God did not design the body to be a canvas, especially of images that 99% of the time, have nothing to do with gratitude towards God.
Even if one cares to argue that either a crucifix or Jesus' name written on their arm, can only be regarded as being done in praise of God, I appeal to the adage that states; 'if you feel a need to wear it, it's because you're not living it'!
@DNB: My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have come about because she was willing to have it done; presumably why she did it. She actually seemed modest and quite shy.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@DNB: My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have come about because she was willing to have it done; presumably why she did it. She actually seemed modest and quite shy.
Well farouk, if you feel that there was justification in her having tattoos, due to the conversations that it may stimulate. My first reaction is that, just the fact that she has a favorite Bible verse tends to reveal a rather naive and immature regard for the Bible. How in the world can one have a single verse that they feel encompasses the entire glory of God's Word? You could pay me a million dollars, and I still won't be able to pick one as my favorite.
And secondly, there are countless ways to stimulate conversation about God, even a necklace, T-shirt or Bible in one's hand, will suffice. For again, permanently having a single verse on your arm, implying that God's Word can be reduced to a single verse or pericope, is misguided and demeaning (to God).

In other words, all that you made the act out to be, is that it is a lesser evil than having a non-Biblical tattoo on their arm. Both are offensive, and one can promote God's Word in a less defacing manner. None of the Apostles would ever dare wear a tattoo with Jesus' name on it. That would be utterly disgraceful and abjectly offensive to Christ!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Well farouk, if you feel that there was justification in her having tattoos, due to the conversations that it may stimulate. My first reaction is that, just the fact that she has a favorite Bible verse tends to reveal a rather naive and immature regard for the Bible. How in the world can one have a single verse that they feel encompasses the entire glory of God's Word? You could pay me a million dollars, and I still won't be able to pick one as my favorite.
And secondly, there are countless ways to stimulate conversation about God, even a necklace, T-shirt or Bible in one's hand, will suffice. For again, permanently having a single verse on your arm, implying that God's Word can be reduced to a single verse or pericope, is misguided and demeaning (to God).

In other words, all that you made the act out to be, is that it is a lesser evil than having a non-Biblical tattoo on their arm. Both are offensive, and one can promote God's Word in a less defacing manner. None of the Apostles would ever dare wear a tattoo with Jesus' name on it. That would be utterly disgraceful and abjectly offensive to Christ!
FYI:.....from the Bible Belt:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Dcopymope

May 22, 2016
Motor City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will the mark of the beast be a tatoo? I worry that there is an extent where a tatoo can be a bad thing. Sins, haircuts, beard styles can all be remedied. But tatoos remain and are difficult to remove.

I think we're too concerned about the wrong thing. We will know what the mark is, because for one, it will be named after the beast, with the number being 666. For the mark to even be a factor, the guy the mark is named after has to rear his ugly head. The chicken has to come first before the egg.

Last edited:

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a Benedictine cross tattoo - my niece drew it for me. I like it, but I doubt I will get another

Attachments

• 772117C9-3104-4BC4-B212-7E5EC2F09EA0.jpeg
    772117C9-3104-4BC4-B212-7E5EC2F09EA0.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 0

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a Benedictine cross tattoo - my niece drew it for me. I like it, but I doubt I will get another
If I were tempted to get a tattoo it would be something like that.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we're too concerned about the wrong thing. We will know what the mark is, because for one, it will be named after the beast, with the number being 666. For the mark to even be a factor, the guy the mark is named after has to rear his ugly head. The chicken has to come first before the egg.
Saint Augustine once said that man's extremity is God's opportunity. As far as I am concerned man's extremity is God's big headache. People are getting carried away with tatoos these days.

Reactions: amadeus

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @rockytopva So what did you make of @Dcopymope 's reply?

So is there a Mrs. rockytopova? and if so, what does she think of your tattoos? :)
Never married. I used to ask out, in wondering why they said no the reply was that I was too strict. In looking over how many friends got divorced I am glad they said no. In the sermon below the young preacher explains there are three things young people seek...

1. Attention
2. Appreciation
3. Acceptance

This causes people to do things to fit into a group and may not be good for their true individuality...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Something like a small cross on the wrist or something.
@rockytopva Sometimes they need only be tiny.....
OIP.v60dDTxVKvkjomUGW3eeQgHaHa
askideas dot com

Reactions: rockytopva