Can one be "born again" and have no hunger for God's word?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jeffreyindeed

Jul 29, 2012
Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA
Jesus said: "You must be born again." (John 3)

Peter said: "As newborn babes desire the pure milk of the word that you may grow thereby." (1 Peter 2.2)

The same way a newborn baby cries for and desires it's mother's milk, so too does the newborn Christian have a desire / hunger for the word of God. But what if that hunger is not there?

(sorry for the typo in the title - ouch)

Reactions: Angelina

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Of course! Can a born again person have no hunger for the things of this world? Yes! :)

Both are common...even in the same person in the same lifetime!

Reactions: jeffreyindeed

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
The hunger can slowly fade away over time and it's because we have the sin nature.
It's a struggle in this world and we are so very easily lead astray by our own desires.
We must come back to eat Spiritual food to strengthen us, as it's a life long process to endure.
Never give up seeking & knocking as there is always something to learn.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA

Peter said: "As newborn babes desire the pure milk of the word that you may grow thereby." (1 Peter 2.2)

The same way a newborn baby cries for and desires it's mother's milk, so too does the newborn Christian have a desire / hunger for the word of God. But what if that hunger is not there?

Yes, carnal christians do it all the time.

Reactions: jeffreyindeed

jeffreyindeed

Jul 29, 2012
Los Angeles, CALIFORNIA
If you fill yourself with the things of the world you will SPOIL your appetite for the things of God.
If you fill yourself with the things of God you will LOSE your appetite for the things of the world.

I remember growing up my mother would say "don't spoil your appetite!" meaning, don't have anything to eat before dinner or else you won't be hungry. Too much television, secular music or just whatever can kill our hunger for God's word - we'll be full and not want any.

Reactions: judd and Angelina

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people don't like to read. Unfortunately for Protestants, this is sometimes mistaken for disliking God.

Reactions: WhiteKnuckle

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Some people don't like to read. Unfortunately for Protestants, this is sometimes mistaken for disliking God.

-- Unfortunately for Catholics, it is mistaken for the same thing.
The difference is that the nuns are much better at inflicting guilt about it.

maccauk11

Apr 27, 2012
In a way yes my friend. A man cna be equipped for every good work. Justice, mercy and love does not need ot be taught. God has already writiten on our hearts the way we should go through the Holy Spirit. THe scriptures say about going over the same thing sover and over. I hardly ever read the bible but i research scriptures and understanding .To make sure what i know is correct and true . The early disciples had no biles remember they were told not to take anything with them. It was given to them what ot say and it sthe same for us. If we are worshipping in spirt and truth and not pushing some mans doctrine then the truth wil win. That truth is Jesus only and what he says "listen to him" he is the word not a book. The bible is abeautful witness and testimony of our lord nothing else

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
...I hardly ever read the bible but i research scriptures and understanding .To make sure what i know is correct and true...

...The early disciples had no biles...

...The bible is abeautful witness and testimony of our lord nothing else...

Sadly, your first statement, quoted above, is not demonstrated by the two that follow.

The early disciples did indeed have "Bibles" in the form of what we call the Old Testament. They not only had them, they used them to reason over doctrine and as a means to lead one to the knowledge of salvation.

Act 17:2 And Paul went in, as was his custom, and on three Sabbath days he reasoned with them from the Scriptures...

Act 17:11 Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.
Act 17:12 Many of them therefore believed...

2Ti 3:15 ...and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus.

The early disciples also had a growing number of writings that would eventually become known as the New Testamant. These were recognized as Scripture.

2Pe 3:15 And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him,
2Pe 3:16 as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.

Now, the Bible is certainly a witness and testimony of our Lord Jesus, but your addition of the words, "nothing else." is incorrect.

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,
2Ti 3:17 that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Books were rare in the ancient world. Christians were mainly members of the slave or poor class; the majority could not read. A Christian Church would be lucky to have a scroll of the OT or partial scroll. Nomad would have you believe that every Christian was walking around with their own copy of the OT and a liberal arts education.......

Nomad

Post Tenebras Lux
Aug 9, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nomad would have you believe that every Christian was walking around with their own copy of the OT and a liberal arts education.......

I never said any such thing, but thanks for misrepresenting my very clear points with such an inconsequential objection. My comments were based firmly in the Scripture references I provided, so your argument is with them, not me.

I addressed two main points, which were,

"...The early disciples had no biles...

...The bible is abeautful witness and testimony of our lord nothing else..."

What I demonstrated very clearly is that the early disciples did in fact possess and utilize the Scriptures, and that those Scriptures were more than a witness and testimony of our Lord and "nothing else." The truth of this fact does not require that "every Christian" possess a personal copy of the same. I have absolutely no respect for straw man arguments.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never said any such thing, but thanks for misrepresenting my very clear points with such an inconsequential objection. My comments were based firmly in the Scripture references I provided, so your argument is with them, not me.

I addressed two main points, which were,

"...The early disciples had no biles...

...The bible is abeautful witness and testimony of our lord nothing else..."

What I demonstrated very clearly is that the early disciples did in fact possess and utilize the Scriptures, and that those Scriptures were more than a witness and testimony of our Lord and "nothing else." The truth of this fact does not require that "every Christian" possess a personal copy of the same. I have absolutely no respect for straw man arguments.

Since when did we start a formal debate? I was just commenting on your fast-and-loose depition of life of early Christians......nevermind, sheesh

Axehead

May 9, 2012
The Scriptures were not foreign to those of the House of Israel. Jesus referred to the Word of God quite a bit knowing that He was talking to people that were familiar with God's Word. Even the Samaritans knew certain passages of God's Word. Be that as it may, when one is born-again and receive the Holy Spirit, they will be led into all truth. I remember many times as a young Christian that I would know something in my heart (new heart) before I had ever read it in the Scriptures. That is the Holy Spirit leading one into truth. The Scriptures confirmed what the Spirit of God had already told me. The Spirit of God is as precious as God's Word but if one does not have access to the written Word, the Living Word is still indwelling them and that is what is most important, because if you don't have the Spirit of God then you "are none of His" (Romans 8:9). For those in prison for their faith, or that live in countries where the Bible is illegal, the Spirit of God is still speaking to His people, yet we smuggle Bibles in to places where it is banned because the Word of God is precious to all who have the Spirit of God.

1Co 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:
1Co 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
1Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Axehead

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012

Assuming the metaphors were the same topic. Not just two examples of using the word babies.

I dont' think you could get two people out of two hundred to agree on what BORN AGAIN means if you let me interview them. They would all disagree at a point. By definition that means only ONE of them would be right, the rest wrong. In reality maybe none are right.

So, I usually don't engage these thoughts because, it's sorta pointless (not picking at your thought but the semantics) as we can't define what we are talking about and agree on it.

I'd argue born again is a result of pursuing a hunger you had. Not that you are born again and then get hungry. Most folks confuse the mature state of born again, with atonement/salvation. Born again looks a lot more of a process that culminates in a change, not a proclamation that I want to change. Although the proclamation is a GREAT start.

The Scriptures confirmed what the Spirit of God had already told me. The Spirit of God is as precious as God's Word but if one does not have access to the written Word, the Living Word is still indwelling them and that is what is most important, because if you don't have the Spirit of God then you "are none of His" (Romans 8:9).

If you still have the sinful nature, then you are not yet indwelled by the Spirit of GOd. How many people do you know what claim both? Rom 8:9. For someone to ignore that the sinful nature's presence disqualifies them from claiming the Spirit indwells them and thus they claim to be HIS because of the pretty part of the verse is really very destructive to Xian Growth.

For those in prison for their faith, or that live in countries where the Bible is illegal, the Spirit of God is still speaking to His people, yet we smuggle Bibles in to places where it is banned because the Word of God is precious to all who have the Spirit of God.

1Co 2:7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, even the hidden wisdom, which God ordained before the world unto our glory:

Who is the "WE" here. Why do you assume it's you or me or us/whoever....?
Paul said there were mature and immature believers. In this verse, he's certainly speaking of himself and the others with him that are mature speaking to the immature..... right?

1Co 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
1Co 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
1Co 2:10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.

Yes, Paul is declaring himself and those with him as the ones with the right message, it wouldn't apply to all believers, right? In fact, in lieu of his Eph 4 comments that SOME are made to lead and some to follow, you can almost certainly assume that Paul didn't mean it to apply to every believer...

1Co 2:11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

so, the interesting thing is.... the spirit only allows you to "MIGHT KNOW".... I'd argue that in Paulinian theology, you'd need the right teachers, and that would be those leading the Church and under the tutelage of Apostles or those that were taught by APostles. That's not my opinion, that's Paul's own words.

1Co 2:13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
1Co 2:14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
1Co 2:16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Who is the we? Those writing the letter or the ones receiving it or both. AND OTHER THAN WISHFUL THINKING, how you determine that answer to be truth?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Sometimes we forget that the whole purpose of the gospel is that we become believers. Period.

If we don't like to read , preach , or argue it should not be a problem

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
I'm with you. I'd add that many think believing is making loud, sometimes arrogant, often forceful, consistently close minded, proclamations that you believe, even when doubts in your life make it evident you don't yet.

That "profess with your mouth" verse has been abused enough, I wish people would forget it and remember eph 2:10 or the last parable in matt 25 more.

Sometimes we forget that the whole purpose of the gospel is that we become believers. Period.

If we don't like to read , preach , or argue it should not be a problem

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It isn't unusual for a sick baby to have no appetite; and a dead one is totally
off their feed.

†. Rom 8:13-14 . . For if you live according to the flesh you will die

My 30-year old son at one time was very interested in the Bible; but when
he became a drunken alcoholic, that interest went out the window right
along with his sobriety because he broke a very important rule:

†. Eph 5:18 . . Do not get drunk: it leads to debauchery.

†. 1Cor 6:9-11 . . Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the
kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither drunkards will inherit the
kingdom of God.

Natural babies are eager little eaters; while spiritual babies are often
indifferent, and have so little interest in food that they need to be urged and
coaxed or they'll stunt their own growth.

†. 1Pet 2:2 . . As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you
may grow thereby.

Note that's a command rather than a suggestion. Born-again Christians who
blow off Peter's imperatives have no excuse should they one day find
themselves dead on the vine from malnutrition.

Buen Camino
/

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011

No !!!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Jesus came , he appointed 12 apostles , told them to take the message to the world so that mankind could become believers and have the knowledge of God's plans.

If we are believers we have done our part.

I think Christians often get everything upside down. We think everything is on our shoulders . And we think everything should be according to our own pet doctrines. We think we are the Apostles. We think we have brought Christianity into the world. And we each think we know how Christianity should be implemented for everyone else instead of focusing on ourselves as the Lord works in our lives.

Xian Pugilist

Aug 4, 2012
I like and agree with all of this. But I'd say that it's not all about the evangelizing. There is a spiritual growth/maturity/perfection goal expected to be attained as well.

You can evangelize and never become mature. Maturity is the biggest reason Christ came.

Jesus came , he appointed 12 apostles , told them to take the message to the world so that mankind could become believers and have the knowledge of God's plans.

If we are believers we have done our part.

I think Christians often get everything upside down. We think everything is on our shoulders . And we think everything should be according to our own pet doctrines. We think we are the Apostles. We think we have brought Christianity into the world. And we each think we know how Christianity should be implemented for everyone else instead of focusing on ourselves as the Lord works in our lives.