can the soul feel pains?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
loneliness...rejection...injustice...are some of the pains we can feel in our souls.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A soul is the body + spirit, so yes.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The soul is made up of our emotions, our will, our mind and our heart. It is the real us. It is eternal but one day, it will stand accountable before God. Our soul is not our body. Our body is our physical house. Our spirit is what God gave us in the beginning. The breath of Life. We are tripartite beings made up of Body, soul and spirit. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 One day we will depart from this earth. Our Body will return to dust, our spirit will return to God who gave it Ecclesiastes 12:7 and our soul will be judged accordingly. Matthew 10:28.

can the soul feel pains like the flesh? just curious.

Yes...

Shalom! :)

JoeinArkansas

Feb 14, 2012
Fayetteville, Arkansas
A soul is the body + spirit, so yes.

Dear Aspen2,
I wanted to say that I agree with your understanding of what a soul is. As you said, a living soul is created when God places a spirit into a living body. When we die, our spirit returns to God and our body returns to dust. At that point, our soul is dead and we have no consciousness. At the time of the resurrection, Christ will place our spirit into another living body and we are alive again (resurrected). But until the resurrection of the dead, we are dead. I don't know how many times I have been to funerals and the preacher will say "I'm sure ***** is looking down on us right now from heaven". Not true. The deceased person is dead and is awaiting the resurrection of the dead.

Joe

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, there are a number of verses that back this up in the wisdom literature - books like Job, Proverbs and Psalms.

Job 24:12
Job 30:25
Psalm 31:9

There are other verses, of course, but these are a few that show it.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah - later Christians mixed up the term 'soul' with 'spirit' because of the Hellenistic influence on Christianity. Plato was the first to use the term 'soul' to describe a person's spirit. Jewish people used the word soul to mean the whole person and Christians continued this thought - which is why the bodily resurrection is so important.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Dear Aspen2,
But until the resurrection of the dead, we are dead. I don't know how many times I have been to funerals and the preacher will say "I'm sure ***** is looking down on us right now from heaven". Not true. The deceased person is dead and is awaiting the resurrection of the dead.
Joe

I totally disagree with your synopsis...with respect :)

Blessings!!!