Can we raise the dead today through the Holy Spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
A pastor recently visisted and shared how in Malaysia (i think it was she said) that there is an outpouring of the Holy Spirit and that dead being raised back to life was a common occurance. When I shared this with other believers, they seemed in question, said it sounded weird and said they believe that was resereved only for Jesus' doing. So when they say that these dead were being raised back to life was it a literal sense or was it born again in spirit that this pastor meant?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was she able to provide proof? How did she substantiate this?

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
Born_Again said:
Was she able to provide proof? How did she substantiate this?
It wasn't a formal thing at all. It was over dinner celebrating the church anniversary. She is something for the regoin. she travels to these places and witnesses the people serving God. It just sounds implied that she meant it literally because she said it was a common occurance as if it wasnt out of the ordinary..

i guess what I was wrestling with is that when my friend said its only reserved for Jesus' doing. would healing be resereved to only his doing? I feel what we can do great things in the name of Jesus to give the glory all back to the Lord.. So if Jesus healed and we can heal in his name, can we do the same with raising the dead?

ive read many testimonies. however is there any scripture that talks on this?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LightTheWay said:
It wasn't a formal thing at all. It was over dinner celebrating the church anniversary. She is something for the regoin. she travels to these places and witnesses the people serving God. It just sounds implied that she meant it literally because she said it was a common occurance as if it wasnt out of the ordinary..

i guess what I was wrestling with is that when my friend said its only reserved for Jesus' doing. would healing be resereved to only his doing? I feel what we can do great things in the name of Jesus to give the glory all back to the Lord.. So if Jesus healed and we can heal in his name, can we do the same with raising the dead?

ive read many testimonies. however is there any scripture that talks on this?
Is it possible she meant that they were raising the spiritually dead? Healing on the other hand, I believe fully in being healed by the Lord/ Holy Spirit. I also believe you can die for whatever reason but be brought back by the Lord, as we have seen before in hospitals when people have near death experiences, if the Lord still has work on earth for you. But I am cautious about someone other than Christ walking up to someone who is noticeably dead and bringing them back. This one may be a bit out of my league. Unless directed by God (i.e. Moses) I have not heard of anyone in our times with that kind of connections to God. I would think that would take an incredible amount of Faith to be able to perform and make that claim. Maybe one of the other members on here with a lot more scripture knowledge can weigh in on this. Like I said, I'm very cautious on this one........

Did she go into any detail at all?

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure what the pastor ment. I do believe God can raise the dead still to this day in a physical way and spiritual way.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
justaname said:
I am not sure what the pastor ment. I do believe God can raise the dead still to this day in a physical way and spiritual way.
That's my feeling as well. Unless she misunderstood the pastor, I can only see God raising the dead physically. I just wonder if she meant the spiritually dead. That's what I lean towards....

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God can and does use believers to do His work...raising the dead is part of His work.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
clark thompson said:
Peter raised someone from tha dead by the power of the Spirit.
Yes, true, but has that been document in recent times? I'm not saying it cant be done, I'm just curious if it has been documented in the last 10 years?

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
If a BAC thinks that God's signs, wonders, and miracles have ceased,
and the Lord no longer does things like raising the dead ...
he or she is simply living in UNBELIEF (in God's eyes)!

This, along with everything else, may be blamed on
the lukewarm churches who are either dead or asleep!
They have been deceived by Satan for 1900? years, but you don't have to be!

They should be teaching:
abstaining from sin, sincerely repenting of all sin, and having the strong
powerful faith to believe that God will answer all of your righteous prayers!

If your church does not teach these important truths, you are wasting your time there,
and I suggest that you get out from among them ... and find some real believers!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
evangelist-7 said:
If a BAC thinks that God's signs, wonders, and miracles have ceased,
and the Lord no longer does things like raising the dead ...
he or she is simply living in UNBELIEF (in God's eyes)!

This, along with everything else, may be blamed on
the lukewarm churches who are either dead or asleep!
They have been deceived by Satan for 1900? years, but you don't have to be!

They should be teaching:
abstaining from sin, sincerely repenting of all sin, and having the strong
powerful faith to believe that God will answer all of your righteous prayers!

If your church does not teach these important truths, you are wasting your time there,
and I suggest that you get out from among them ... and find some real believers!
I dont deny that. I also am aware that churches have created propaganda in the past. I fully believe in Gods miracles, I have seen them in my own life. I'm just saying, when people make a claim in large numbers like that, I would want to substantiate that.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Powerful outpourings of the Spirit usually occur in very poor countries. The poor are accustomed to being dependent on someone or something to survive. They become desperate for God's provision, and if they don't get it they get nothing. God likes to be needed, not just wanted. Matthew 5:3

Malaysia in SE Asia is not that poor of a country when compared to countries like Mozambique in Africa. Iris Ministries in that country has reported that people have been risen from the dead, and I believe it.

Of course there are instances where people are risen from the dead in other places, but it becomes a very rare occurrence.

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
Born_Again said:
Is it possible she meant that they were raising the spiritually dead? Healing on the other hand, I believe fully in being healed by the Lord/ Holy Spirit. I also believe you can die for whatever reason but be brought back by the Lord, as we have seen before in hospitals when people have near death experiences, if the Lord still has work on earth for you. But I am cautious about someone other than Christ walking up to someone who is noticeably dead and bringing them back. This one may be a bit out of my league. Unless directed by God (i.e. Moses) I have not heard of anyone in our times with that kind of connections to God. I would think that would take an incredible amount of Faith to be able to perform and make that claim. Maybe one of the other members on here with a lot more scripture knowledge can weigh in on this. Like I said, I'm very cautious on this one........

Did she go into any detail at all?
She didnt get into tiny details because she was saying how God was moving currently/recently in these places: Cambodia, Philippines, Malaysia and some other places I cant remeber the other two, but basically she prays for these regions and gets to visit them and see God working there when He provides...

I just think of this verse (John 14:12)
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

I dont see why the Holy Spirit wont use a willing vessel to bring Glory to God by having great faith and obedience to the Lord. Whenever I am unsure of how to feel about this topic, I feel torn because as believers, why should we not rejoice to hear of such news that the Lord is doing and how the Holy Spirit is moving? I know we are to discern, but I just feel that if the motives are right and truly for Gods Glory then why cant we just praise God for his miracles..

What gets me is that when I shared this to my friends I got mixed reactions mostly of being cautious and not sure that is possble today and that it was weird. Many things will be weird to people of this world who do not understand the way God moves when we as believes dont fully comprehend how God moves..

Axehead

May 9, 2012
It's ok to be cautious. Doesn't mean we don't glory in the God of miracles who raises the dead. If my friend actually saw it happen that would be pretty significant. But, to hear it from someone who heard it from someone, and not sure if it was a spiritual analogy or actual bodily resurrection from the dead would most likely elicit various reactions.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
"With God all things are possible" (Matthew19:26). But I'd be extremely skeptical that the stories are true. Sometimes rumors are started in order to draw attention (money) to a ministry. I suspect that if anyone was brought back to life, it was through the use of a defibrillator :). We are called today by faith, not proof; "Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed" (John 20:29). jmo

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
Axehead said:
It's ok to be cautious. Doesn't mean we don't glory in the God of miracles who raises the dead. If my friend actually saw it happen that would be pretty significant. But, to hear it from someone who heard it from someone, and not sure if it was a spiritual analogy or actual bodily resurrection from the dead would most likely elicit various reactions.
I never said not to be cautious and that it means that if we are cautious then we do not give glory to God. In fact I think I digressed anyways by mentioning discerning. That however was just to explain how I felt on the matter.

I am not asking if the pastor meant that the dead rose spiritually or physically. I am just wanting to know if the Holy Spirit can raise the dead back to life today for God's glory alone and if there is any scripture that talks on that.

Would anybody also like to break John 14:12 down for me?

Axehead

May 9, 2012
LightTheWay said:
I am just wanting to know if the Holy Spirit can raise the dead back to life today for God's glory alone and if there is any scripture that talks on that.
You're actually serious, aren't you? You know the best source for your answer is not man, but the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. The fact that you are questioning this means you have doubts so you need to hear from the Lord, not man.

LightTheWay

Oct 29, 2014
Guam
Axehead said:
You're actually serious, aren't you? You know the best source for your answer is not man, but the Word of God and the Holy Spirit. The fact that you are questioning this means you have doubts so you need to hear from the Lord, not man.
I am serious haha. Maybe too serious sometimes. But I am not doubting, I just want to be sure that my point of view on this is in line with Gods word and if it isn't then I would like to change that. My friends doubt that the dead can be raised back to life today. Right now, I have the same point of view on this matter as Justaname & evangelist-7 in the comments above. I know God and the Holy Spirit are the ones I answer to not man. I just want some direction as to where to look in the Bible since this is a christian forum. Just wondering if others can help lead me to the truth.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
LightTheWay said:
I am serious haha. Maybe too serious sometimes. But I am not doubting, I just want to be sure that my point of view on this is in line with Gods word and if it isn't then I would like to change that. My friends doubt that the dead can be raised back to life today. Right now, I have the same point of view on this matter as Justaname & evangelist-7 in the comments above. I know God and the Holy Spirit are the ones I answer to not man. I just want some direction as to where to look in the Bible since this is a christian forum. Just wondering if others can help lead me to the truth.
So, you have the same point of view as two of your friends? Have you asked the Lord to confirm this point of view in your heart or are you still looking for confirmation? You know, it really does not matter how many friends you or I have that hold a certain point of view. Ultimately, we cannot receive anything unless the Lord confirms it to us. Would you agree with that? And with that said, instead of garnering more "points of view" from men, don't you think it would be better to go to the Lord in prayer and ask him to confirm it or deny it in your heart. Then, it won't matter what any man says, because you will have received your answer from the Lord. There are lots of "christian" forums and there are lots of opinions. God has one opinion on the subject and that is where you will find your answer. Have you asked the Lord directly? Are you accustomed to hearing from Him?