Can you explain why you believe?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PinSeeker

Oct 4, 2021
Nashville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had no Christian upbringing, but life happens, and after a complete downward spiral to the bottom and the end of myself, as a last resort I cried out to God whom I didn't know-- and He answered!
Sounds like a tale much like Jonah to me... :) That's great.

I was caught up in the spirit and...well, it's a long story. But it left me not "believing", but knowing God.
Another book recommendation (you've probably read it): Knowing God, by J.I. Packer. Reading it again right now.

Grace and peace to you.

Reactions: ScottA

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My goodness. Yes, please do; it's a great work. I would suggest getting Max McLean's recording of his reading of it: click here. He's a stage actor, and he brings it even more to life.

Be careful, though, because you just might become one of those dreaded Calvinists <snicker> some folks think to be such heretics... :)

Grace and peace to you.

watch out too because you never know where those dreaded calvinists are lurking. *evil grin and twisting of mustache*

Reactions: michaelvpardo

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The sure and indisputable voice and testimony of the Holy Spirit showed me the gospel of Jesus really is true. That's why...that's how I believe the gospel. God showed me it was true.

"6 ...it is the Spirit who testifies to this, because the Spirit is the truth." 1 John 5:6
Amen to that.

Reactions: Ferris Bueller

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
you just know in your 'knower' as the Holy Spirit gives you that knowledge and back it up with scripture that touches and informs your spirit. And as well as that you have various happenings in your life that keep you believing. How can you not believe when a number of times you have heard directly from God in some form or another?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i have it on my Kindle. It didn't cost much.
I have a hard copy, but I also bought a kindle version so I can increase the font size for my old eyes.
The first abridged Bible that I owned was a pocket psalms and New Testament that my dad carried around Europe in WWII, and when I had to wait hours for tunnel closures to do camera and cable repairs on my old job, it was nice to have a pocket KJV with me (it came with a fresnel lens to enlarge the print, but back then I didn't need a magnifier.)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have a hard copy, but I also bought a kindle version so I can increase the font size for my old eyes.
The first abridged Bible that I owned was a pocket psalms and New Testament that my dad carried around Europe in WWII, and when I had to wait hours for tunnel closures to do camera and cable repairs on my old job, it was nice to have a pocket KJV with me (it came with a fresnel lens to enlarge the print, but back then I didn't need a magnifier.)
I've had to put my favourite bible back in its box and use a large print one.