Capitol Punishment according to the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
Ok, I have been disscussing this topic with several people in my Criminal Justice class who are christians, and a few of them have different views. The question is:
Is Capitol Punishment(the death sentence) right or wrong according to the Bible?
I personally believe it is right. I believe if someone takes a life, then their life should be taken. I find that all through the Bible, and that seems to be God's view on it as well. What do some of you think, and what verses do you have for that?

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(SoldierforChrist;59978)
Ok, I have been disscussing this topic with several people in my Criminal Justice class who are christians, and a few of them have different views. The question is:
Is Capitol Punishment(the death sentence) right or wrong according to the Bible?
I personally believe it is right. I believe if someone takes a life, then their life should be taken. I find that all through the Bible, and that seems to be God's view on it as well. What do some of you think, and what verses do you have for that?The answer is both yes and no.Lets start with the no.Colossians 2:14 - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;Christ took away the death penalty away, and salvation can now (actually since 2 Days ago) be opened for ALL men.The Yes is...Romans 13:1 - Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.Romans 13:2 - Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.Romans 13:3 - For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:Romans 13:4 - For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.Romans 13:5 - Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.We must follow the law of the lands. Now if the government abuses their powers, then we are ought not to be involved.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(Jordan;59983)
The answer is both yes and no.Lets start with the no.Colossians 2:14 - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;Christ took away the death penalty away, and salvation can now (actually since 2 Days ago) be opened for ALL men.
I would have to disagree with that. Here is why:According to God's law, there is a difference between killing a person and murdering them. Capitol Punishment is not murder, but is fulfilling the law of God:If a person were to hit someone in the head with an ax on accident that they did not hate but the person died, this is killing a person according to God.(vs. 4-7)If a person would lie in wait for someone they hated and hit them in the head with an ax and they died, this is murdering a person according to God.(vs. 11-13)We should not pity those that are receiving Capitol Punishment for the wrong they have done.(vs. 13)
Deuteronomy 19:1-131. When the LORD thy God hath cut off the nations, whose land the LORD thy God giveth thee, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their cities, and in their houses; 2. Thou shalt separate three cities for thee in the midst of thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it. 3. Thou shalt prepare thee a way, and divide the coasts of thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee to inherit, into three parts, that every slayer may flee thither. 4. And this is the case of the slayer, which shall flee thither, that he may live: Whoso killeth his neighbour ignorantly, whom he hated not in time past; 5. As when a man goeth into the wood with his neighbour to hew wood, and his hand fetcheth a stroke with the axe to cut down the tree, and the head slippeth from the helve, and lighteth upon his neighbour, that he die; he shall flee unto one of those cities, and live: 6. Lest the avenger of the blood pursue the slayer, while his heart is hot, and overtake him, because the way is long, and slay him; whereas he was not worthy of death, inasmuch as he hated him not in time past. 7. Wherefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt separate three cities for thee. 8. And if the LORD thy God enlarge thy coast, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, and give thee all the land which he promised to give unto thy fathers; 9. If thou shalt keep all these commandments to do them, which I command thee this day, to love the LORD thy God, and to walk ever in his ways; then shalt thou add three cities more for thee, beside these three: 10. That innocent blood be not shed in thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, and so blood be upon thee. 11. But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities: 12. Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die. 13. Thine eye shall not pity him, but thou shalt put away the guilt of innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with thee.
Jesus Christ did not get rid of the law of Capitol Punishment:
Matthew 5:17-2117. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. 21. Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(SoldierforChrist;59986)
(Jordan;59983)
The answer is both yes and no.Lets start with the no.Colossians 2:14 - Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;Christ took away the death penalty away, and salvation can now (actually since 2 Days ago) be opened for ALL men....
I would have to disagree with that. Here is why:According to God's law, there is a difference between killing a person and murdering them. Capitol Punishment is not murder, but is fulfilling the law of God:If a person were to hit someone in the head with an ax on accident that they did not hate but the person died, this is killing a person according to God.(vs. 4-7)If a person would lie in wait for someone they hated and hit them in the head with an ax and they died, this is murdering a person according to God.(vs. 11-13)We should not pity those that are receiving Capitol Punishment for the wrong they have done.(vs. 13)
Deuteronomy 19:1-131. When the LORD thy God hath cut off the nations, whose land the LORD thy God giveth thee, and thou succeedest them, and dwellest in their cities, and in their houses;2. Thou shalt separate three cities for thee in the midst of thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.3. Thou shalt prepare thee a way, and divide the coasts of thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee to inherit, into three parts, that every slayer may flee thither.4. And this is the case of the slayer, which shall flee thither, that he may live: Whoso killeth his neighbour ignorantly, whom he hated not in time past;5. As when a man goeth into the wood with his neighbour to hew wood, and his hand fetcheth a stroke with the axe to cut down the tree, and the head slippeth from the helve, and lighteth upon his neighbour, that he die; he shall flee unto one of those cities, and live:6. Lest the avenger of the blood pursue the slayer, while his heart is hot, and overtake him, because the way is long, and slay him; whereas he was not worthy of death, inasmuch as he hated him not in time past.7. Wherefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt separate three cities for thee.8. And if the LORD thy God enlarge thy coast, as he hath sworn unto thy fathers, and give thee all the land which he promised to give unto thy fathers;9. If thou shalt keep all these commandments to do them, which I command thee this day, to love the LORD thy God, and to walk ever in his ways; then shalt thou add three cities more for thee, beside these three:10. That innocent blood be not shed in thy land, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance, and so blood be upon thee.11. But if any man hate his neighbour, and lie in wait for him, and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities:12. Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into the hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.13. Thine eye shall not pity him, but thou shalt put away the guilt of innocent blood from Israel, that it may go well with thee.
Jesus Christ did not get rid of the law of Capitol Punishment:
Matthew 5:17-2117. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.18. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.19. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.20. For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.21. Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Nobody is disagreeing with you that the law is destroyed. In fact it is still in effect. Now the death penalty is NOT a law. And of course I already know that God can't murder anyone.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
I found this online and it has alot of verses:
Pro Capital PunishmentA Study Outline by Gary Henry
A. Text: Rom. 13:4.B. Paul said, "For if I am an offender, or have committed anything worthy of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar" (Ac. 25:11). 1. Paul did not question the right of Rome to put criminals to death. 2. Nor did he suggest that the possible execution of an innocent man like himself was reason for all executions to be stopped.C. Capital punishment = the infliction of the death penalty by civil authority. 1. It is an act carried out by civil government, not by private citizens. 2. It is motivated not by malice or hatred, but by justice.D. Capital punishment is a controversial topic that is frequently in the news.E. We need to understand the death penalty from a biblical perspective.
I. The Concept of Punishment in General​
A. From the start, the Bible grants validity to the idea of punishment for lawbreaking. 1. God said to Cain, "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground" (Gen. 4:10). 2. The murder of Abel cried out for restitution.B. The Bible assumes that criminal acts deserve to be punished. 1. When justice has been violated, the principal is that what has been lost by the victim should be reinstated or compensated for. 2. There is a moral obligation of the lawbreaker: a debt is incurred in which restitution must be made or a proportionate penalty must be paid. 3. This penalty is for punishment, not rehabilitation. 4. Justice calls for the penalty -- it is right.
II. The Concept of Capital Punishment​
A. The central question is: are there some crimes so serious that the only just penalty is the death of the offender? 1. The Bible has always said so. 2. Up until our day, human civilizations have always said so.B. By certain acts a person disqualifies himself from the right to continue living -- he forfeits the right to live.C. This is reflected in the Old Testament. 1. "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground" (Gen. 4:10). 2. "Surely for your lifeblood I will demand a reckoning; from the hand of every beast I will require it, and from the hand of man. From the hand of every man's brother I will require the life of man. Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed; for in the image of God He made man" (Gen. 9:5,6). 3. Numerous offenses in the Law of Moses were punishable by death, including: a. Murder - Exo. 21:12-14; Lev. 24:17. b. Kidnapping - Exo. 21:16. c. Abuse of parents - Exo. 21:15,17; Lev. 20:9. d. Sorcery - Exo. 22:18. e. Bestiality - Exo. 22:19; Lev. 20:15,16. f. Idolatry - Exo. 22:20; Deut. 17:2-7. g. Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22. h. Incest - Lev. 20:11,12,14. i. Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13. j. Rape - Deut. 22:23-29. k. Blasphemy - Lev. 24:15,16. 4. In the Law, the carrying out of the death penalty was justly regulated. a. "Whoever is worthy of death shall be put to death on the testimony of two or three witnesses, but he shall not be put to death on the testimony of one witness. The hands of the witnesses shall be the first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So you shall put away the evil person from among you" (Deut. 17:6,7). i. This shows that the death penalty was not just to deter others from committing the same crime. ii. It was to put away the evil influence of that person from society! b. "One witness shall not rise against a man concerning any iniquity or any sin that he commits; by the mouth of two or three witnesses the matter shall be established" (Deut. 19:15). 5. "Your eye shall not pity; but life shall be for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot" (Deut. 19:21). a. This did not mean that malicious vengeance could be taken by any individual for any slight he suffered. Cf. Mt. 5:38,39. b. It meant that the punishment inflicted by the civil authority was to be in fair proportion to the crime -- the punishment was to fit the crime. c. It was a safeguard against unduly harsh punishment -- but it clearly indicated that some crimes justly called for the death of the offender! 6. The Fifth Commandment, "Thou shalt not kill" (Exo. 20:13 KJV), was not a prohibition any "killing," including capital punishment -- it was a prohibition against murder, the slaying of an innocent person by a private individual.D. It is also reflected in the New Testament. 1. "For if I am an offender, or have committed anything worthy of death, I do not object to dying; but if there is nothing in these things of which these men accuse me, no one can deliver me to them. I appeal to Caesar" (Ac. 25:11). 2. "Who, knowing the righteous judgment of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, not only do the same but also approve of those who practice them" (Rom. 1:32).E. Our conclusion is this: for all societies of people since the beginning of time, there has been a principle of justice that some crimes are so serious they can be properly punished only by death.F. The execution of the death sentence is a part of the rightful function of civil government as ordained by God.
III. The Purpose of Civil Government​
A. In general, law itself exists to curb the conduct of those who are not inclined to curb their own conduct. Cf. "The law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate" (1 Tim. 1:9). Cf. vv.8-10.B. The primary purpose of civil authority is to restrain injustice and crime, so that people can live without fear. Cf. Rom. 13:1-7. 1. "Then Pilate said to Him, 'Are You not speaking to me? Do you not know that I have power to crucify You, and the power to release You?' Jesus answered, 'You could have no power at all against Me unless it had been given you from above. Therefore the one who delivered Me to you has the greater sin'" (Jn. 19:10,11). 2. "For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil" (Rom. 13:4). 3. "Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence" (1 Tim. 2:1,2).C. Carrying out the death penalty is a part of what God ordained government to do. 1. It is not the prerogative of private citizens to exact their own justice. 2. "For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil" (Rom. 13:4).D. It is emotionally difficult for a compassionate people to execute criminals -- but the consequences of not doing so are even more difficult in the long run.
IV. The Consequences of Failing to Execute Criminals​
A. Contrary to modern thinking, capital punishment does deter crime -- at least it would if it were carried out consistently and in a timely fashion. 1. "Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil" (Eccl. 8:11). Cf. Psa. 10:3-7; esp. v.6. 2. Virtually all human behavior is motivated by the impulse to move away from certain things and to move toward others. (In fact, we define character primarily in terms of what a person usually moves toward and away from.)B. When, as a society, we do not set up capital consequences for capital crimes, we can expect a growth of cynicism, mockery of the law, and violent lawlessness.C. What we do about crime and punishment says much about our national character. 1. "That which makes a people 'civilized' is very much a result of its laws and its respect for people's dignity and worth" (David Hocking). 2. "We should understand punishment as a kind of mirror image of praise. If praise expresses gratitude and approbation, punishment expresses resentment and reprobation. If praise expresses what the political community admires and what unites it, punishment expresses what the community condemns and what threatens it. Punishment, like praise, publicly expresses our determination of what people deserve" (Stanley Brubaker). 3. "What a society thinks about life, death, and questions in between shows up in the rewards and penalties it extends. That is what laws are -- marks of social value" (William Murchison).D. We need to start being more careful about our "marks of social value." 1. It is wrong to bestow honor on those who are dishonorable. 2. The man who walks uprightly is a man "in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but he honors those who fear the Lord" (Psa. 15:4).E. Many of the emotional arguments against the death penalty are based on pity. 1. But pity is not always the proper response when someone justly stands under the sentence of death. 2. Aaron was not even allowed to mourn for his two sons, Nadab and Abihu, after the Lord had rightfully stricken them dead - Lev. 10:6,7. 3. Concerning execution of the death penalty in the Old Testament, God said, "Your eye shall not pity; but life shall be for life" (Deut. 19:21). Cf. Deut. 13:8,9; 19:13; Ezek. 9:5,6; etc.F. Yes, we must always be compassionate -- but we must never let compassion keep us from doing what is right.
Conclusion​
A. God has ordained civil government to restrain lawlessness -- and he has given it the responsibility of putting to death those who commit crimes worthy of death.B. "Contemporary efforts to abolish capital punishment proceed on a non-Christian view of man, a secular theory of criminal law, and a low estimate of the value of life" (Gordon Clark).C. We need to be reminded: 1. "Whoever sheds man's blood, by man his blood shall be shed; for in the image of God He made man" (Gen. 9:5,6). 2. "For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid; for he does not bear the sword in vain; for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil" (Rom. 13:4).Gary Henry

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(Jordan;59987)
Nobody is disagreeing with you that the law is destroyed. In fact it is still in effect. Now the death penalty is NOT a law. And of course I already know that God can't murder anyone.
How can you say that the death penalty was not in the law?Numerous offenses in the Law of Moses were punishable by death, including:1. Murder - Exo. 21:12-14; Lev. 24:17.2. Kidnapping - Exo. 21:16.3. Abuse of parents - Exo. 21:15,17; Lev. 20:9.4. Sorcery - Exo. 22:18.5. Bestiality - Exo. 22:19; Lev. 20:15,16.6. Idolatry - Exo. 22:20; Deut. 17:2-7.7. Adultery - Lev. 20:10; Deut. 22:22.8. Incest - Lev. 20:11,12,14.9 Homosexuality - Lev. 20:13.10. Rape - Deut. 22:23-29.11. Blasphemy - Lev. 24:15,16.In the Law, the carrying out of the death penalty was justly regulated:"Whoever is worthy of death shall be put to death on the testimony of two or three witnesses, but he shall not be put to death on the testimony of one witness. The hands of the witnesses shall be the first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hands of all the people. So you shall put away the evil person from among you" (Deut. 17:6,7). This shows that the death penalty was not just to deter others from committing the same crime. It was to put away the evil influence of that person from society!

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
(SoldierforChrist;59978)
Ok, I have been disscussing this topic with several people in my Criminal Justice class who are christians, and a few of them have different views. The question is:I personally believe it is right. I believe if someone takes a life, then their life should be taken. I find that all through the Bible, and that seems to be God's view on it as well. What do some of you think, and what verses do you have for that?
If the death was premeditated murder as Scripture defines, yes Capital Punishment is what God demanded.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(tomwebster;59991)
If the death was premeditated murder as Scripture defines, yes Capital Punishment is what God demanded.
Thank you very much. Thats exactly how I see it.

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(tomwebster;59991)
yep I agree we are to send him to the Father

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Christina;59993)
(tomwebster;59991)
yep I agree we are to send him to the FatherYes, I also agree, but you guys are missing my point here.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(SoldierforChrist;59978)
Ok, I have been disscussing this topic with several people in my Criminal Justice class who are christians, and a few of them have different views.
There are some things that I cannot accept, such as the idea that the Earth is flat or the idea that someone could belong to Christ yet be against God's decrees and justice.

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
(Follower;59999)
There are some things that I cannot accept, such as the idea that the Earth is flat or the idea that someone could belong to Christ yet be against God's decrees and justice.
Well I agree Follower. I should have wrote that they were "so-called" christians. The word "christian" is someone who is "christ-like", so obviously if they don't follow God's Word then they are not "christ-like" thus they are not true christians. Now if they are saved or not, that is a different story. Some people that are saved get out of the will of God for their life, but they do not lose their salvation.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
I think there is something to be said of looking at the whole Bible and recognizing a movement always away from what started as a very base set of standards toward a higher one.We are not told much about the goings on during Noah’s age but it must have been very bad for God to do what He did. In Abraham's day we know people sacrificed their children to bring good luck, improve crops, bless a new house...etc. Someone accidentally kills your uncle; your clan kills their entire clan. Eye for an eye represented a radical departure from the prevailing ideas of morals and justice in that day. And the movement toward a higher standard did not stop with eye for an eye, pretty soon the idea of sanctuary arises where people who under the LAW would be killed could seek refuge, and live (in isolation) unharmed in designated locations. We can see in the Bible the idea of judges to settle cases evolves. Fast forward thousands of years and we have Jesus teaching love and turning the cheek, not eye for eye. I think the lesson there is we can live better than eye for eye.I have a problem seeing all men as created in the image of God if we are going to say we can kill whomever we wish because of their behavior, no matter how vile. And who decides how vile one has to be before the line is crossed? What if they decide speaking in tongues is a threat to national security and shoot to kill violators?Where is the value of the life we take? To me to do this puts us in the position that only belongs to God. God alone decides who lives and who dies. In the “name of justice” it seems to me we usurp His position when we take it upon ourselves to decide after we have already captured and isolated someone to then kill them for their crimes.Not that I do not believe there are exceptions. But in this day and age, where alternative punishments are normally available it is reasonable to expect society could (and in most cases has) isolated people that should be isolated from the rest of us. Saddam Hussein I think would be a notable exception for some very valid and justifiable reasons. As would self-defense, being a soldier or defending another. As long as such options are available for isolation, I cannot see justification for taking the life of someone behind bars. Breaking in my home and threatening my family or me is another matter. Behind bars they are no longer an immediate threat to anyone. And I do think if more people were properly armed, we would not have as many people to consider what we should do with them.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(waquinas;60271)
Behind bars they are no longer an immediate threat to anyone.
Scores of people are killed every year by people who are behind bars. Thousands of people are killed every year by felons who had been behind bars. And, untold thousands of people are killed and brutalized every year because the softness of our justice system translates into softness of deterrence. But, even if setting aside the Death Penalty did not result in one additional death of an innocent, it's still God's decree that certain crimes result in the Death Penalty.Your claim that locking people up makes them not a threat is false and irrelevant.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
And if that decree were carried out in every case, we would have no Paul, who is responsible for the bulk of the NT. There would have been no Moses to lead God's people. David comes to mind as well, a man after God's own heart committed murder for the most selfish of reasons, his own lust. No, I do not agree that the answer is kill them all and let God sort them out.No one is killed by a prisoner behind bars, except perhaps possibly another prisoner or guard.Just find it difficult to accept an understanding of the Bible that grants us the right to decide who lives and who dies. Sure you can say it is God's decree, but in practice a judge and/or jury has the life in question in their hands. To end that life is saying we value a sense of justice, which is really for ourselves, over any hope that life could be turned around. I just think we do not have that right and do not agree that this is the message of the Bible.

waquinas

Apr 24, 2008
glad to see another who agrees. And I will say this was not always the way I felt, but came as part of me joining a Church that taught it is always wrong to kill as a means for humans to enact justice (killing for other reasons justified - Hussein already mentioned as at least a debatable example). God alone is Just and the decision of who lives and dies should be His.

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(waquinas;60271)
I think there is something to be said of looking at the whole Bible and recognizing a movement always away from what started as a very base set of standards toward a higher one.We are not told much about the goings on during Noah’s age but it must have been very bad for God to do what He did. In Abraham's day we know people sacrificed their children to bring good luck, improve crops, bless a new house...etc. Someone accidentally kills your uncle; your clan kills their entire clan. Eye for an eye represented a radical departure from the prevailing ideas of morals and justice in that day. And the movement toward a higher standard did not stop with eye for an eye, pretty soon the idea of sanctuary arises where people who under the LAW would be killed could seek refuge, and live (in isolation) unharmed in designated locations. We can see in the Bible the idea of judges to settle cases evolves. Fast forward thousands of years and we have Jesus teaching love and turning the cheek, not eye for eye. I think the lesson there is we can live better than eye for eye.I have a problem seeing all men as created in the image of God if we are going to say we can kill whomever we wish because of their behavior, no matter how vile. And who decides how vile one has to be before the line is crossed? What if they decide speaking in tongues is a threat to national security and shoot to kill violators?Where is the value of the life we take? To me to do this puts us in the position that only belongs to God. God alone decides who lives and who dies. In the “name of justice” it seems to me we usurp His position when we take it upon ourselves to decide after we have already captured and isolated someone to then kill them for their crimes.Not that I do not believe there are exceptions. But in this day and age, where alternative punishments are normally available it is reasonable to expect society could (and in most cases has) isolated people that should be isolated from the rest of us. Saddam Hussein I think would be a notable exception for some very valid and justifiable reasons. As would self-defense, being a soldier or defending another. As long as such options are available for isolation, I cannot see justification for taking the life of someone behind bars. Breaking in my home and threatening my family or me is another matter. Behind bars they are no longer an immediate threat to anyone. And I do think if more people were properly armed, we would not have as many people to consider what we should do with them.
Genesis 1:26-27 - And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them......Genesis 9:6 - Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Genesis 9:6
Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
This is established by the ninth chapter of the Bible. Many before even the Ten Commandments are laid out.Let's jump to Matthew 5 to see what the Bible says about the matter.Matthew 5:21-22
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Again, pretty clear here. You've heard it said thou shalt not kill...well you shouldn't even be unjustly mad at your brother (much less desiring to kill him without cause). Notice, though, that it says nothing about being justly mad at your brother, or by extension, another. This relates to the original Hebrew meaning of kill back in Exodus, which means to lie in wait and slay someone. To premeditate murder, which is what Cain did.Matthew 5:17-18
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Jot is the Greek word iota, think of it as our period(.). The Words of Christ himself say I didn't change anything of the law. What is Genesis 9:6? Is it not a part of the same law? The same law that includes the Ten Commandments at that!Colossians 2:13-14
And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Forgiveness of sin is entirely conditional. You have to ASK God to do it, a person who does not believe in Christ cannot do this. Similarly, we are told that Christ blotted out the ordinances because he fulfilled them as he said he would in Matthew 5! However, notice that it says nothing about the law - because it didn't change!II Chronicles 33:8
Neither will I any more remove the foot of Israel from out of the land which I have appointed for your fathers; so that they will take heed to do all that I have commanded them, according to the whole law and the statutes and the ordinances by the hand of Moses.
I just wanted to establish the Scripture that says these are different. There are laws, statues, and ordinances. Capital punishment is law, period. It has not changed. If you claim that Christ threw this out, then you claim that Christ has thrown away everything including the Ten Commandments.Remember that being a Christian is not about you. "Christ - ian" can be broken down to mean "Christ Man." What did Christ say? What does the Word say?John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Does that Word not include the book of Genesis? Has Christ changed it anywhere? Has he stated it anywhere? I think I've proven above that he said the exact opposite.Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by his blood be shed.

Follower

Oct 1, 2008
(waquinas;60348)
David comes to mind as well, a man after God's own heart committed murder for the most selfish of reasons, his own lust. No, I do not agree that the answer is kill them all and let God sort them out.
So, you're also against locking up criminals? I'm confused, because before you seemed to support putting criminals behind bars. Now, you're worried that if they're somehow incapacitated, that some of them won't be able to go on and do great things.
No one is killed by a prisoner behind bars, except perhaps possibly another prisoner or guard.
Scores of people behind bars kill others. They even manage to do it in maximum security prisons. But, if you lock up someone for non-capital offense and a hardcore felon kills him, or a hardcore felon kills a guard, or a hardcore felon escapes and kills a completely innocent person, you're hands are clean. It's not your fault. Maybe the victim is just raped or brutalized, as happens countless thousands of times every year, that's not your fault.Thousands of people are killed every year by convicted felons. Most of that as a result of these monsters being released. Do you want to triple the prison population to keep these people locked up for life - which really becomes nothing more than a slow-form of execution? Then, there are those victims because the criminals haven't been deterred. You believe you're innocent of that blood, too.You just pretend it never happens. It's easy if you don't see yourself at the crime scene, after giving the criminal a gun.
Just find it difficult to accept an understanding of the Bible that grants us the right to decide who lives and who dies.
I am not deciding who lives and who dies. God has said these crimes should result in an execution. But, you say you know better than God and so you reject his decrees and decide for yourself.
Sure you can say it is God's decree, but in practice a judge and/or jury has the life in question in their hands.
So, you're against trials, as well as prison. That's reasonable. If you're not going to lock someone up, what's the point of a trial?
To end that life is saying we value a sense of justice, which is really for ourselves, over any hope that life could be turned around. I just think we do not have that right and do not agree that this is the message of the Bible.
How many murder victims, people killed without a trial, have the chance to turn their lives around or to continue to do good?After putting aside the nonsense, what's your real reason for opposing the Death Penalty? Does it make you feel good, to do this by convincing yourself that you're showing love by defying God and ignoring the victims?