Charging my tablet

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I usually let my tablet get down to about 25 or 30% before plugging it in to charge.

However, sometimes it might be higher like 45%. Is it ok to start charging it when the battery is higher?

Will that effect battery life?

Zachariah.

Jan 22, 2024
Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Depends on how old your tablet is. The newer the tablet the better the technology of the battery.

I'll explain how it works for you. Generaly your battery is divided into 4 cells meaning its basically 4 batteries wrapped up as one. 0- 25% is the first cell. 25 - 50% is the second cell. 50 - 75% is the third cell. And 75 - 100% is your fourth cell.

Now, if you generally use your battery between 25% and 50%, your second cell will start to degrade faster than the others. That's why they suggest you fully charge it, then fully use it. So you have an even spread of ware and tear.

If for e.g. you start to degrade your second cell you will notice things like your phone jumping from 50% to 25% in a very small amount of time.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's why they suggest you fully charge it, then fully use it. So you have an even spread of ware and tear.
I do fully charge it...and usually let it go down to 25 or 30%. (Is that low enough? No instructions in the tiny manual.)

But like tonight, it was on 45%...and I plugged it in to charge to 100% because I wanted it to be high enough to use now.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I wonder if you are charging your tablet with showing inappropriate material in its screen.

I somehow do not think that will help.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do fully charge it...and usually let it go down to 25 or 30%. (Is that low enough? No instructions in the tiny manual.)

But like tonight, it was on 45%...and I plugged it in to charge to 100% because I wanted it to be high enough to use now.
I unplug my laptop once a week and let it drain to 90% then charge. I've always heard with lithium ion batteries, short discharge and recharge is best. You might look up your product online. Usually the instructions that come with stuff these days is worthless. Probably more info online.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
short discharge and recharge is best.
So short discharge...does that mean letting the battery get low? I'm not too tech savvy, sorry.

P.S. My tablet is a Chuwi Hipad. A friend ordered it for me. I was surprised it arrived from China but it works well and the battery lasts long.

But the very brief manual said do not use the button to turn it off! After trying to figure out how to turn it off, I finally used the button....and that turned it off!

My friend said she sometimes gets furniture from China and the instructions are confusing.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So short discharge...does that mean letting the battery get low? I'm not too tech savvy, sorry.

P.S. My tablet is a Chuwi Hipad. A friend ordered it for me. I was surprised it arrived from China but it works well and the battery lasts long.

But the very brief manual said do not use the button to turn it off! After trying to figure out how to turn it off, I finally used the button....and that turned it off!

My friend said she sometimes gets furniture from China and the instructions are confusing.
Short discharge means not letting the battery drain very much. Discharge is the opposite of charge.

I did find the manual for that brand online and you're right, it doesn't tell you much. I saw where it says not to use the power button to turn it off. That's talking about using the shutdown option within the operating system or software in your tablet. It's like shutting down from the Start menu in a computer. You can turn it off by pressing the power button and holding it for a few seconds but this isn't normally recommended. I've seen this cause disasters sometimes so you really shouldn't do it unless there's no other option; for example if your system freezes and nothing works.

I'd try to keep the battery between 80% and 100%. But don't keep it at 100% very long. Like I said, I keep mine at 100% for a week then discharge. A week may be a bit on the long side to keep at 100% but that's what I do.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Over 25 years ago one of the problems with rechargeable batteries was that they grew "hairs" which then short circuited the batteries and they would lose their charge. Not sure if the battery manufactures have been able to overcome this problem.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Short discharge means not letting the battery drain very much. Discharge is the opposite of charge.

I did find the manual for that brand online and you're right, it doesn't tell you much. I saw where it says not to use the power button to turn it off. That's talking about using the shutdown option within the operating system or software in your tablet. It's like shutting down from the Start menu in a computer. You can turn it off by pressing the power button and holding it for a few seconds but this isn't normally recommended. I've seen this cause disasters sometimes so you really shouldn't do it unless there's no other option; for example if your system freezes and nothing works.

I'd try to keep the battery between 80% and 100%. But don't keep it at 100% very long. Like I said, I keep mine at 100% for a week then discharge. A week may be a bit on the long side to keep at 100% but that's what I do.
I am getting a little more confused about how low to let the battery go before charging. :)

My old RCA tablet said to not let the battery get lower than 20% before charging.

Oh well. I think this tablet is now a couple of years old, still going, thank God.

My RCA tablet was about eight years old and only bit the dust when the electric in my apartment short circuited everything...and I was charging the tablet at the time. (The apartment building management sent their maintenance man instead of an electrician to change a loose electrical socket.)