Why did Jesus sometimes want to keep his true identity secret during his public ministry?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I noticed what you have no understanding thereof…

Matt 18:[3}
And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

As you attempt to use mindful LOGIC, regarding Spiritual things…Scripture teaches to rely on truth in heart, with a child’s pure heart as the example…

Probably too deep for you, but may be something of valuable consideration for others.

Glory to God,
Taken
Curious. You don’t think you’re in the same boat as Tony? If not, why?

Reactions: TonyChanYT

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Curious. You don’t think you’re in the same boat as Tony? If not, why?

I don’t know Tony’s length, time, In study.
I don’t know Tony’s convictions.
As with some other’s he appears to try and figure out UNDERSTANDING (according to God), via mindful LOGIC, which I disagree with.

Reactions: MA2444

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know Tony’s length, time, In study.
I don’t know Tony’s convictions.
As with some other’s he appears to try and figure out UNDERSTANDING (according to God), via mindful LOGIC, which I disagree with.
What blows my mind is how Paul sat beside a weak brother too afraid to eat. Even saying before that how some don’t have this knowledge that we have. Was Paul boasting in their amount of knowledge that others lacked. Instead he advised: if I use this knowledge to kill one who is weak, then I sin against Christ. I’m not saying anyone is weak here, or without knowledge. Only that if we claim to be the one who possesses the knowledge and another without knowledge …then which are we in the discussion on those stronger ought to support the weak?

Do I always agree with Tony. Of course not. But I think we all have the ailment of lingering pride. Doubtfully there is no area of our studies that we don’t try to logically think it though. Which puts us all in the same boat (Imo). How can I edify Tony? Well…from what I see he loves to stay in the word and grow. He is always searching and reading and I believe hoping to hear the truth from God. It reminds me of that saying: if you don’t have anything nice to say to someone, then don’t say anything at all.

Last edited:

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What blows my mind is how Paul sat beside a weak brother too afraid to eat. Even saying before that how some don’t have this knowledge that we have. Was Paul boasting in their amount of knowledge that others lacked. Instead he advised: if I use this knowledge to kill one who is weak, then I sin against Christ. I’m not saying anyone is weak here, or without knowledge. Only that if we claim to be the one who possesses the knowledge and another without knowledge …then which are we in the discussion on those stronger ought to support the weak?

Do I always agree with Tony. Of course not. But I think we all have the ailment of lingering pride. Doubtfully there is no area of our studies that we don’t try to logically think it though. Which puts us all in the same boat (Imo). How can I edify Tony? Well…from what I see he loves to stay in the word and grow. He is always searching and reading and I believe hoping to hear the truth from God. It reminds me of that saying: if you don’t have anything nice to say to someone, then don’t say anything at all.

Logic is how the MIND operates ciphering between this OPTION and that OPTION.

Knowledge IS IN SCRIPTURE….
The OPTION is believe it OR NOT.

FEW few times is SCRIPTURE “EXPLAINED”
(The MEANING) IN SCRIPTURE.
Occasionally you will read….a “MYSTERY” revealed.

For the most part THE UNDERSTANDING of Gods WORD. (Is definitely NOT by LOGIC)…
Rather the UNDERSTANDING (according to God)……..IS GIVEN the individual FROM God.

Perhaps you recall….Satan KNOWING the BIBLE….KNOWING the Word of God….

His down fall is…(and like many men) He does NOT have Gods UNdERSTANDING of God own Word…

Men pray, pray, pray….for sick people, for money, for a new house, for a bigger tv, for this and that ….TANGIBLE “things”….

I doubt many pray for Gods Understanding of His own word…!! And I base that on….
Even on this forum….
Men who boast LOGIC….
Men who quote “other mens beliefs” they adopt.
Men who ask questions wanting the understanding from another person…
Instead of praying to God FOR His Understanding.

Nothing new…
Ex 31:
[3] And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

1 Kings
[29] And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.

Job 32:
[8] But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Prov. 2:
[6] For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

And when Jesus came to Earth, and selected men to follow Him, learn from Him….
They too learned…Understanding comes from the Lord God….and they called it:
Spiritual Understanding….and prayed others may gain the same…

Col 1:
[9] For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

I read, I cross reference key words, I use multiple Bibles, I study….Then I ask the Lord God for His Understanding, then once received, and go back and re-read and study the same topic again WITH the Understanding according to God.

That is my usual, my preference that I am very content with. I know what topics I select, and may be completely different than others….no matter to me…I know WHY I believe what I do….and do not believe.

Glory to God,
Taken

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Controlling the size of crowds" is hardly a convincing explanation. The Jews anticipated a Messiah who would be an earthly king. If Jesus had openly declared Himself the Jewish Messiah, this would have created expectations on the part of the Jews and legitimate fears on the part of the Romans that would have brought a quick end to Jesus' ministry at the hands of the Romans.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Logic is how the MIND operates ciphering between this OPTION and that OPTION.

Knowledge IS IN SCRIPTURE….
The OPTION is believe it OR NOT.

FEW few times is SCRIPTURE “EXPLAINED”
(The MEANING) IN SCRIPTURE.
Occasionally you will read….a “MYSTERY” revealed.

For the most part THE UNDERSTANDING of Gods WORD. (Is definitely NOT by LOGIC)…
Rather the UNDERSTANDING (according to God)……..IS GIVEN the individual FROM God.

Perhaps you recall….Satan KNOWING the BIBLE….KNOWING the Word of God….

His down fall is…(and like many men) He does NOT have Gods UNdERSTANDING of God own Word…

Men pray, pray, pray….for sick people, for money, for a new house, for a bigger tv, for this and that ….TANGIBLE “things”….

I doubt many pray for Gods Understanding of His own word…!! And I base that on….
Even on this forum….
Men who boast LOGIC….
Men who quote “other mens beliefs” they adopt.
Men who ask questions wanting the understanding from another person…
Instead of praying to God FOR His Understanding.

Nothing new…
Ex 31:
[3] And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,

1 Kings
[29] And God gave Solomon wisdom and understanding exceeding much, and largeness of heart, even as the sand that is on the sea shore.

Job 32:
[8] But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Prov. 2:
[6] For the LORD giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding.

And when Jesus came to Earth, and selected men to follow Him, learn from Him….
They too learned…Understanding comes from the Lord God….and they called it:
Spiritual Understanding….and prayed others may gain the same…

Col 1:
[9] For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding;

I read, I cross reference key words, I use multiple Bibles, I study….Then I ask the Lord God for His Understanding, then once received, and go back and re-read and study the same topic again WITH the Understanding according to God.

That is my usual, my preference that I am very content with. I know what topics I select, and may be completely different than others….no matter to me…I know WHY I believe what I do….and do not believe.

Glory to God,
Taken
Okay. But still all this talk about knowledge. I still wrestle with a critical spirit. Every day. I’ve been paying closer attention to what a critical spirit does to me. The lust within me provokes me to respond with a critical spirit. I mean it’s bad how accustom I am to giving into my own lust to save my own skin.

1 Corinthians 8:1-2 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but charity edifies. 2] And if any man think that he knows any thing, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. But still all this talk about knowledge. I still wrestle with a critical spirit. Every day. I’ve been paying closer attention to what a critical spirit does to me. The lust within me provokes me to respond with a critical spirit. I mean it’s bad how accustom I am to giving into my own lust to save my own skin.

1 Corinthians 8:1-2 Now as touching things offered unto idols, we know that we all have knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but charity edifies. 2] And if any man think that he knows any thing, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know.

That is a matter of an INTERNAL CONFLICT that only you can decide to listen to your heart over your carnal mind.

God Bless you,
Taken

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is a matter of an INTERNAL CONFLICT that only you can decide to listen to your heart over your carnal mind.

God Bless you,
Taken
I get “that is a matter of an internal conflict”. i wasn’t expecting you to fix it but hoping you could relate.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get “that is a matter of an internal conflict”. i wasn’t expecting you to fix it but hoping you could relate.

I understand the concept, every one starts there. It is a concept Through Scriptural study I learned long ago, and have been practicing for years to …. Consult my hearts thoughts over my minds thoughts…
Sort of like your mind Knows Right from Wrong, but can easily make excuses, that don’t seem so bad… But the hearts thoughts will guide you toward rightful action.