Chatty Bus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saturday 4-9-22 7th. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Abib/Nisan 7, 5782 21st. Spring Day

Chatty Bus
odb20220409.jpg

Read: Colossians 4:2–6 | Bible in a Year: 1 Samuel 13–14; Luke 10:1–24
Download MP3
Subscribe to iTunes

Let your conversation be always full of grace. Colossians 4:6

In 2019, the Oxford Bus Company launched the instantly popular “Chatty Bus,” a bus with designated people on board willing to talk with interested passengers. The route was initiated in response to government research which found that 30 percent of Britons go at least one day each week without a meaningful conversation.

Many of us have likely experienced the loneliness that comes from not having someone to talk to in a time of need. As I reflect on the value of important conversations in my life, I’m especially reminded of discussions that were full of grace. Those times brought me joy and encouragement, and they helped to cultivate deeper relationships.

At the end of his letter to the Colossian church, Paul encouraged his readers with principles of authentic living for believers in Jesus, including ways our conversations can exhibit love to everyone we encounter. The apostle wrote, “Let your conversation be always full of grace” (4:6), reminding his readers that it is not simply the presence of words but the quality of those words—“full of grace”—that would allow them to be a true encouragement to others.

The next time you have the opportunity to connect deeply in conversation—with a friend, co-worker, or even a stranger seated next to you on a bus or in a waiting room—look for ways your time together might bring blessing into both of your lives.

When have you experienced the blessing of grace-filled words? How might you extend encouragement to someone today through what you say?

Heavenly Father, help me to be a blessing to everyone I speak with today, filling these conversations with Your grace.

INSIGHT
Paul’s normal pattern for writing letters to churches is well evidenced in this epistle to the Colossians. That pattern calls for the first half of the book to be primarily theological in nature with the remainder providing practical application of that doctrinal teaching.

The first two chapters of Colossians describe the relationship between Christ (the head of the church) and the church (the body of Christ). Chapters 3–4 then give the practical outworking of those realities. In today’s Scripture reading, we find clear counsel on how to live and function as the church body.

This includes the need for intercessory prayer (vv. 2–3) and the importance of personal testimony, which includes graciously using the opportunities God gives us (vv. 5–6). This is wise counsel that’s still needed today.

By lisa m. samra|April 9th, 2022

Love For Others Colossians 4:2-6

2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving;

3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds:

4 That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak.

5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time.

6 Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man.

Read full chapter

Love, Walter and Debbie

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With a smile and an eagerness to engage in a conversation that will brighten someone's day, indeed.

It's usually easier to do this with a stranger who we do not have any ties and history than with somebody we know well. And that is the rub for some in Christ at times, to know our communication in expression, word and tone comes from our heart where our Lord's spirit also resides. Keeping the love and warmth in our hearts and letting our expression to all people in the end be one that our Lord desires; and not forced upon us. We do it willingly because we love others as our Father loves us more.

Let then, and them feel the warmth of love in our conversations to others, always, amen!

Last edited:
Reactions: WalterandDebbie

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
With a smile and an eagerness to engage in a conversation that will brighten someone's day, indeed.

It's usually easier to do this with a stranger who we do not have any ties and history than with somebody we know well. And that is the rub for some in Christ at times, to know our communication in expression, word and tone comes from our heart where our Lord's spirit also resides. Keeping the love and warmth in our hearts and letting our expression to all people in the end be one that our Lord desires; and not forced upon us. We do it willingly because we love others as our Father loves us more.

Let then feel the warmth of love in our conversations to others, always, amen!
Amen!

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: APAK