Chorazin

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I found this rather interesting. Not much is written about the city Chorazin except for Jesus proclaiming woes on them.

Chorazin = "a furnace of smoke"
http://www.land-of-the-bible.com/Chorazin
CHORAZIN
Chorazin (“the secret” in Hebrew) sat on Galilee’s northern shore, just within sight of the other towns that formed the Evangelical Triangle. The Evangelical Triangle, where Jesus spent 80% of His time, is made up of three towns—Bethsaida, Capernaum, and Chorazin. Chorazin’s reputation pre-Jesus had been based on agriculture, but that would soon change.

Known previously for her very early harvest of quality grain used in the Temple rituals (because the dark volcanic soil on a sunny hillside warmed quicker than other areas), Chorazin’s lack of faith in the Messiah earned her permanent notoriety as one of the three towns Jesus cursed (Matthew 11:20-24, Luke 10:13-14). She did in fact fall into ruin after an earthquake in the 4th century, and her black basalt rubble now makes for a fascinating stop. Her crown jewel is a synagogue that, according to a cache of Roman coins found under her, was probably rebuilt in the 3rd or 4th centuries.

The synagogue is 70 x 50 feet and sits in a raised section near the center of the town with a beautiful view. It has the typical simplistic design of most Galilean synagogues, with plain stone benches around the walls. A major discovery was made in 1926 while excavating the synagogue…a Seat of Moses, the stone block from which the Torah would have been read. It was found with four lines of Hebrew, “May Yudan, the son of Ishmael, who contributed this colonnade and its stairs from his property, be remembered for good. May he have a portion with the righteous.” Jesus mentioned this type of seat in Matthew 23:2-4,

“Then Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples: “The teachers of the law and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. So you must be careful to do everything they tell you. But do not do what they do, for they do not practice what they preach. They tie up heavy, cumbersome loads and put them on other people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to lift a finger to move them.”

There is also a ritual bath (mikveh) associated with the synagogue, a large cistern, various buildings, houses, an olive press, and a significant cobblestone public square. All of these are made from the dark basalt stone indigenous to the area, which gives it a dark flavor to match the curse. The many stone carvings of Jewish symbols, flowers, a Medusa head, and a pair of stone lions show the skilled artisanship, as basalt is quick to break when not respected.

The site has been dated to the first century, but the ruins are later, probably from the Roman era to the Byzantine period. A large triangular pediment sits atop the wide staircase that leads up to the synagogue’s three entrances, which faces south to Jerusalem. It probably sat at the peak of the synagogue at one time. Standing on these steps, with the Sea of Galilee 900 feet below you, will give you a thrill. It’s a chance to feel what it may have felt like for Jesus and His disciples to come here and see the same marvelous view.

Like Capernaum, this site is one not to be missed on your visit to Israel. Seeing the synagogue alone is well worth the stop. The entire site covers 25 acres, and is still being dug up. Perhaps these excavations will warrant her Hebrew name and provide even more “secrets.”

Mat 11:21 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! G5523 woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works, which were done in you, had been done in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes.
Luk 10:13 Woe unto thee, Chorazin! G5523 woe unto thee, Bethsaida! for if the mighty works had been done in Tyre and Sidon, which have been done in you, they had a great while ago repented, sitting in sackcloth and ashes.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just got done reading and it is a interesting article, on the history and culture of Chorazin, Ziggy. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The capstone of the Temple in Chorazin:

5328_Chorazin_Reconstructed_synagogueGable_3_16_19.jpg

Reactions: Lambano and marks

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mat 21:42 Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?

There are so many verses going through my head as I watched the video above.
None of which are very popular to say the least.
So I'll just keep digging with my pick and axe for now.
Woe... that's a heavy word in the bible. It's an omen.

I will say this though...
that capstone looks uncomfortably familiar.
just sayin..
Hugs

Reactions: MatthewG

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s interesting building architecture I don’t see no significance really in it other than it would be interesting to see how the building for those architectural structures to be made like that. Be it men chipping it down or huge machines.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you say that the image above the square looks like a pine cone?
That's what I see, but another opinion is always welcome
:D

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The article mentions three cities which are called the Evangelical Triangle.
Chorazin, Bethsaida, and Capernaum.
The video explains that Bethsaida is 2 miles in one direction and Capernaum is 1.5 miles in another direction, thus forming a triangle.
The capstone itself is in the form of a triange which sat upon the main entrance as people entered in.
A lot of symbology in this city.
Within the capstone is what appears a small square window in which one can see out of.
Above that appears to me to be the symbol of a pine cone.
In Symbology the pine cone represents the pineal gland which is located in the mind.
Pineal gland
The pineal gland, conarium, or epiphysis cerebri, is a small endocrine gland in the brain of most vertebrates. The pineal gland produces melatonin, a serotonin-derived hormone which modulates sleep patterns in both circadian and seasonal cycles. The shape of the gland resembles a pine cone, which gives it its name.Wikipedia

René Descartes believed the human pineal gland to be the "principal seat of the soul."

391px-Frans_Hals_-_Portret_van_Ren%C3%A9_Descartes.jpg

One function of the pineal gland is to produce melatonin. Melatonin has various functions in the central nervous system, the most important of which is to help modulate sleep patterns. Melatonin production is stimulated by darkness and inhibited by light.

And although this may sound sort of conspiracy theory on my part. I am also reminded of the city of Ephesians and their worship of the Goddess Diana. During these early days in the first century there is a lot of pagan religions throughout Judea.

What I see from the article and the video is a Synagogue of Satan.
And I draw that from the triangle with the window and the pinecone as the capstone of the all seeing eye.
And although the High Priests and Pharisees sat in Moses' seat, they were anything but keeping the law.
Do as they say, but not as they do. Jesus called them hypocrites, John called them vipers.
Woe is thee Chorazin..

iu
iu

The all-seeing eye is a symbol that has existed for thousands of years throughout various cultures and religions. Much like the swastika, its meaning has taken on numerous interpretations since its creation, however, its meaning today has a much more negative connotation attached to it compared to its predecessors. In the modern era, the all-seeing eye is often associated with sinister secret societies like the Illuminati or the Freemasons. But worst of all, it has, in many ways, become a symbol of American hegemony in which it symbolizes both the U.S.’s massive surveillance network and its powerful economic status.

This is in stark contrast to its origins which mostly depicts the all-seeing eye as a symbol of divine benevolence. From the ancient period of India, Egypt, and the Middle East, all the way to the Renaissance period of Europe, the all-seeing eye has always represented the watchful eye of a higher being. More often than not, the watchful eye in this context usually was associated with protection or wisdom rather than some dark omnipresent being. With the current status of this symbol in disarray, now more than ever would be a good time to take a step back and truly allow ourselves to think about what version of the all-seeing eye we want to be our prevailing image of it.

The All-Seeing Eye

Rev 3:9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
Luk 4:18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
Luk 4:19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
Luk 4:20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
Luk 4:21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.
Luk 4:22 And all bare him witness, and wondered at the gracious words which proceeded out of his mouth. And they said, Is not this Joseph's son?

I don't believe the movies that we watch about the days of the gospel give as much credit as due, for the challenges Jesus faced from all the surrounding cities he visited.
Jesus was placed in the center of the triangle. Jews on one side, Gentiles on another, and Rome which ruled them all at that time.
What an opposition, the light against the darkness that covered the face of the earth.

Gen 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
Mat 4:16 The people which sat in darkness saw great light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light is sprung up.

Woe to thee Chorazin...
Isa 3:9 The shew of their countenance doth witness against them; and they declare their sin as Sodom, they hide it not. Woe unto their soul! for they have rewarded evil unto themselves.
Isa 3:11 Woe unto the wicked! it shall be ill with him: for the reward of his hands shall be given him.
Isa 5:21 Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!