Christian Denominations

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I meant was that Luther had to dissent and leave the Catholic Church in order to advance "Salvation by Grace, through Faith" [SbGtF]. If he would have remained, he would have been stifled.

At that point, there was the ["True" or "Universal"*] Church and the Church that preaches SbGtF. Calling the latter the "Lutheran" Church was a lot easier to say. This is especially true as differences become more nuanced, like the church that preaches this, this, this, this, not that, but this... Labels serve as a positional shorthand.

In the last couple of years, mainline Protestant denominations have been dividing over whether they will endorse homosexuality, et. al. Is that not a valid reason to split? Again, labels serve as a positional shorthand.

*Catholic means "Universal," or standard Church.
Amazing what getting freaked out by a bolt of lightning will do someone. :rolleyes:

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which "bolt of lightning" are you referring to?
Oh I thought you would know that story! Sorry.

Luther was traveling during a storm. Basically there was a lightning strike. He got freaked out and yelled out, "Help me, Saint Anne! I’ll become a monk!”
That was what changed Christian history.
Full story:

The Thunderstorm that Changed Martin Luther's Life

If you want to watch something fun sometime, try RC Sproul's "The Insanity of Luther." I really enjoyed it.
Here's the link

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh I thought you would know that story! Sorry.

Luther was traveling during a storm. Basically there was a lightning strike. He got freaked out and yelled out, "Help me, Saint Anne! I’ll become a monk!”
That was what changed Christian history.
Full story:

The Thunderstorm that Changed Martin Luther's Life

If you want to watch something fun sometime, try RC Sproul's "The Insanity of Luther." I really enjoyed it.
Here's the link
As Paul Harvey would say....and now you know the rest of the story.
Lol

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What I meant was that Luther had to dissent and leave the Catholic Church in order to advance "Salvation by Grace, through Faith" [SbGtF]. If he would have remained, he would have been stifled.

At that point, there was the ["True" or "Universal"*] Church and the Church that preaches SbGtF. Calling the latter the "Lutheran" Church was a lot easier to say. This is especially true as differences become more nuanced, like the church that preaches this, this, this, this, not that, but this... Labels serve as a positional shorthand.

In the last couple of years, mainline Protestant denominations have been dividing over whether they will endorse homosexuality, et. al. Is that not a valid reason to split? Again, labels serve as a positional shorthand.

*Catholic means "Universal," or standard Church.
Yes, I agree, they do sum up to a large extent what one believes. It's a short-hand way of referring to a large subject. For expediency we may use these appellations just to get the ball rolling in a discussion, possibly, or to let the others in a rather quick fashion, appreciate who they are talking to.
Luther was compelled/obligated to split from the then, Catholic, Church. In order to differentiate one adherent from either side of the Schism, one needed a vocabulary or a way of referencing which side the other was on.
Titles have their uses, ...just deep down, I always feel the need to make a caveat if I am ever in need to use such a term for myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sabertooth

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anybody know why there's so many? Why was Jesus called a Jew? Is that because He lived in Judah since Jewish people don't even believe that He was the Son of God?
In the words of Frank Sinatra "I Did It My Way." Most modern denominations came about because the person who started them couldn't get his own way with something so they picked up the bat and ball and went off to start their own game. But that seems to be the nature of the beast with Protestantism.:(:confused::eek::oops:

Jesus was a Jew because his parents were.

Reactions: April_Rose

Pathfinder7

Mar 8, 2020
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some tenets drive people to a religious crab-pot mentality.

If Luther did not dissent, there would have been no Reformation.
If the Anababtists did not dissent, there would have been no Believer's Baptism.
If the principals of the Welsh Revival did not dissent (about not quenching the Spirit), it and subsequent revivals (like Azusa Street) would have been stifled.

Which of those progressions is worth giving up in the name of "unity?"
Does the fact that some refused to make said jumps make them heretical?
There are certainly heresies to avoid, but in my experience when God brings new revelation --and He must in order to fulfill 1 John 3:2-- some will move forward and others will not.
If the latter maintain the basics, they will still be Saved. They will just plateau in their growth unless/until they change their mind.
Good post.
---
Many denominations started as 'movements.'
- After they get 'recognition & status'..
The focus on..'original vision & commitment' changes.
- It becomes another establishment.
- That has been the pattern in Christian history.
---
'Non Denominational' can become another denomination.
- When it becomes 'established'..
---
One of the interesting books I read..some time ago.
'Christianity's Dangerous idea: The Protestant Revolution--
A History from the Sixteenth Century to the Twenty-First.'
Alister McGrath

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There is many denominations of Jews as well.

I do not belong to any Christian denomination at all now, because I have come out from them, because I have been truly born again and am in the Kingdom of God, I see all such as nothing but works of Man. I do not need them as I was Saved.

There is only one Church and all such abide in Jesus Christ only and he in you, it's a Holy Sprit Church, no walls no Idols no works of Man, I look to no one for inspiration because I have such in Christ Jesus.
I care not what others think but only what they know. I have seen so much trash in the Churches that I can't stand them anymore, they have all change their Spots and lie all the time.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anybody know why there's so many?

My theory is the flowering of Christian denomination dwarfs all other religions to beautifully meet the diverse needs of so many groups of people on Earth. IMO, most denominations are less divided over doctrine and more differentiated on FOCUS and cultural alignment. Let me give you an example.

A friend of mine met his wife in South Korea. When she moved to be with him in Boston, she was a stranger in a strange land with a language and customs that were not her own. She became a very active member of the Korean Church of Boston. We had many in-depth conversations. Never did I find any doctrinal position that was out of line. Her love of Christ was undeniable and she glowed when talking about her Savior, showed me her Bible and her wonderful church.

When she suddenly passed, I fielded for my grief stricken friend, the many calls from her loving friends from her church.

Sure, the doctrine is the same. However, the Korean church appealed to this Korean women and made a stranger feel at home with her language, culture and customs. Thank God for the many denominations to reach as many people as possible.

I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some.
1 Corinthians 9:22

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Isn't it true that the Nations that say they're christian Nations are the majority of the ones who fought each other in world war 1&2. How are christians showing love for one another if they're killing each other with guns and bombs. I find it interesting that the people who say Jesus is God will kill each other when their governments tell them to. People don't want you to study the history of this church that they say is the True Church with Gods Holy Spirit. The plain fact is that church history that I see isn't the history of the True Church with Gods Holy Spirit but the immitation church who are immitation christians which has as God Satan the devil although they would never believe that. But I certainly think it explains the horrible things that were done in the name of Jesus Christ, and why those who say they're christian would fight and kill each other. Especially the dark ages, some of the most horrible things were done in the name of Jesus Christ. But people don't want you to study that history, they want to judge you if you do. I honestly don't believe that the True Church consists of any people that says Jesus is the True God instead of believing he's the Only-begotten Son of the True God. The history of that people is more about hate than love of God and their fellow man. Hate divides people and that's why we have so many denominations among these people who say Jesus is God because they don't have enough love for the True God to believe in him to have faith that he actually does have a only-begotten Son that he sent to this world of mankind to die for mankind so that this world of mankind would be saved.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Anybody know why there's so many? Why was Jesus called a Jew? Is that because He lived in Judah since Jewish people don't even believe that He was the Son of God?

When a group of Christians have a different interpretation on some doctrine rhey go off & form another denomination.

Jesus was called a Jew because he WAS a Jew of the tribe of Judah.

Oz

Reactions: April_Rose

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s wrong with denominating?

The church my wife and I go to broke off from Methodists to become non-denominational.

They began an outreach church in a neighboring town. After a few years, the community who attended the outreach wanted to break off and be on their own.

Over time, these 3 groups may have slightly different doctrines they focus on. That is what’s different. What is in common is trying to advance the kingdom of God and serve their respective congregations. What’s wrong with that?

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Anybody know why there's so many?

Tares were planted in the field by the adversary, those tares usurp power and worshippers to follow after them by their usurper in chief. Denominations are born out of a desire to reform the church the tares have taken over by having a move of the Holy Spirit working in remnant who are true to him, only to be usurped by those tares all over again as the Spirit is quenched. One day soon this will not be as the angels will gather the tares from amongst us for the fire, and the wheat into his barn.

Reactions: Wrangler