christian heavy metal?? thoughts & opinions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
That’s a great point. People often ask, “That was the OT, where is that in the NT?” The problem is, that’s not always a valid argument. It only applies in discussions about Faith vs. the Law. Not everything in the OT was Law, though.

In Mat 21:9, we read:

And the multitudes that went before, and thatfollowed, cried, saying, Hosanna to the son of David: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord; Hosanna in the highest.

Why did they say this? It was from the OT (a psalm, I’d like to point out):

Psa 118:26 Blessed be he that cometh in the name of the LORD: we have blessed you out of the house of the LORD.

When the priests and scribes complained about it, Jesus answered:

Mat 21:16 And said unto him, Hearest thou what these say? And Jesus saith unto them, Yea; have ye never read, Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings thou hast perfected praise

Where did Jesus get this? Another psalm:

Psa 8:1 To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of David. O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
Psa 8:2 Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.

In Luke, we get an added account. The Pharisees asked Jesus to rebuke his disciples, to which Jesus answered:

Luk 19:40 …I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.

Again, where did Jesus get this? Well, not from Psalms, but from the OT:

Hab 2:11 For the stone shall cry out of the wall, and the beam out of the timber shall answer it.

The point is two-fold:

1. Jesus quoted the OT continually, as did the Apostles. We can say, “We are no longer under the Law”, but these things listed above were not Law. If we totally discount the OT, much of what Jesus said is no longer to be considered.
2. These quotes may not have been sung in the NT, but they might have been (speaking of the multitude praising Jesus). They are however, from music. And they were certainly loud, joyous noise.

There are other examples in the NT. Jesus told a parable of the prodigal son, and when he came home there was music and dancing (Luke 15:25). Paul and Silas sang in Prison loud enough to be heard (Acts 16:25). Furthermore, Paul encouraged Psalms, as long as they are done to edify (1 Cor 14:26).

It seemed like Us2r1 had a mixed up arguement there FHII, he was saying christ slammed Solomon based on old testament verses as a debate to the New Testament verse I quoted. I don't believe Jesus lived in the Old Testament not as a man anyways. Then he said that the Psalms as old testament verses weren't a valid arguement as a pro-heavy metal/loud joyous sound arguement. His points seem very inconsistent I don't know if he really examines what he is saying sometimes. Not saying anyone is perfect of course, I did listen to some christian metal bands on youtube for you guys and I have to say I don't see a problem with it. It seemed awfully dark for a little while but overall I think it is fine.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seemed like Us2r1 had a mixed up arguement there FHII, he was saying christ slammed Solomon based on old testament verses as a debate to the New Testament verse I quoted. I don't believe Jesus lived in the Old Testament not as a man anyways. Then he said that the Psalms as old testament verses weren't a valid arguement as a pro-heavy metal/loud joyous sound arguement. His points seem very inconsistent I don't know if he really examines what he is saying sometimes. Not saying anyone is perfect of course, I did listen to some christian metal bands on youtube for you guys and I have to say I don't see a problem with it. It seemed awfully dark for a little while but overall I think it is fine.

Well, the conversation kind of flowed from Heavy Metal music, to music then to the status of Solomon and David. I can see his point because David and Solomon (especially Solomon) had some grevious sins. That's why I asked about John the Baptist. When he was in prision, he sent people to question Jesus if he was "the one". He didn't even believe his own prophecy! Yet, he did say he would decrease and Jesus would increase.

Even in Acts we see followers of John not following his teachings. He taught that Christ was coming, and that there would be a baptism by the Holy Ghost, and they said they haven't even heard of the Holy Ghost (or that there was one). Shall we count John the Baptist as unworthy? Well, yea. We should by his later performance. Like Solomon and Jehu, they started out great, but later faltered. Even David did ONCE. The Man of God had to get in his face about the Bathsheba thing. But David fulfilled all the Will of God, so maybe even this was the will of God.

Personally, I don't see Jesus ever in the NT slamming Solomon. And it's pretty funny that We2are1 wants to show where Solomon did wrong -- and he's right -- by the OT, yet doesn't want the use of music in the OT. Jiggyfly corrected him and he seemed to accept that, so that's to his credit.

God gave the gift of leadership and riches to Solomon. Solomon never asked for it, but was given a choice. He chose the gift to lead his people justly. For that, God gave him both wisdom and riches. He also gave him the commission to build the temple, which he prohibited David from doing because he was warlike.... And God told him to be warlike!

So if David could faulter, and Solomon could faulter, and John the Baptist could faulter.... What do we say about them? Remember their end or their glory, which was great in God? Furthermore, Jesus quoted all three.... He never talked about their follies.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
Well, the conversation kind of flowed from Heavy Metal music, to music then to the status of Solomon and David. I can see his point because David and Solomon (especially Solomon) had some grevious sins. That's why I asked about John the Baptist. When he was in prision, he sent people to question Jesus if he was "the one". He didn't even believe his own prophecy! Yet, he did say he would decrease and Jesus would increase.

Even in Acts we see followers of John not following his teachings. He taught that Christ was coming, and that there would be a baptism by the Holy Ghost, and they said they haven't even heard of the Holy Ghost (or that there was one). Shall we count John the Baptist as unworthy? Well, yea. We should by his later performance. Like Solomon and Jehu, they started out great, but later faltered. Even David did ONCE. The Man of God had to get in his face about the Bathsheba thing. But David fulfilled all the Will of God, so maybe even this was the will of God.

Personally, I don't see Jesus ever in the NT slamming Solomon. And it's pretty funny that We2are1 wants to show where Solomon did wrong -- and he's right -- by the OT, yet doesn't want the use of music in the OT. Jiggyfly corrected him and he seemed to accept that, so that's to his credit.

God gave the gift of leadership and riches to Solomon. Solomon never asked for it, but was given a choice. He chose the gift to lead his people justly. For that, God gave him both wisdom and riches. He also gave him the commission to build the temple, which he prohibited David from doing because he was warlike.... And God told him to be warlike!

So if David could faulter, and Solomon could faulter, and John the Baptist could faulter.... What do we say about them? Remember their end or their glory, which was great in God? Furthermore, Jesus quoted all three.... He never talked about their follies.

Yeah for sure they both either got complacent or lazy or addicted power or whatever. In their earlier lives they both very good examples of how to revere and follow God, as well as how God loves us and will protect the obedient servant. Anyways lets keep this on topic christian heavy metal ok with me.

Any bands you would recommend ?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can't really think of any.... I prefer old time southern gospel.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God uses many ways to attract non-believers. I will not remove an avenue towards someone's salvation by my judgement against. Music is a form of expression, passion, worship, and so much more. Jesus went where the sinners were. I see it as a way to reach some.

MrsMopar

Oct 26, 2011
Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
That is the old testament not the new.

Jiggyfly has already answered that well.

It still has nothing to do with the flesh or what the world seeks or calls acceptable.

It does not give those who claim Christ the right to do as the world does.

Funny, I live by the Bible, not by the Old Testament or the New Testament. God wouldn't have put the Bible on this earth for us to read, learn and live by if He only wanted us to live by the Old or New. However, that is my opinion.

Like I said, I am not a scholar. I am a Christian. I have faults. I am an imperfect being. You give the perception that you are above others. To me, that isn't very Christian like. Not trying to be disrespectful, just honest with my thoughts.

I am simply trying to point out that God accepts if we make a joyous sound or noise to praise Him. There is nothing in the Bible that says the only form of acceptable "music" is hymnals or gospel music. Redirect around it all you want, I know when I listen to Christian music, whether it's rock or metal, I feel it in my heart and soul. When I dance with song, I am worshipping Him and He knows it. But please don't try to tell me that how I am worshipping isn't up to His standards because you don't see it. That isn't how it works.

Again, no disrespect; just making a point. Have a blessed day. :)