Church growth movement

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
do you think the church growth movement was a good thing or no?

I am making an assumption here that you mean the appearance of and growth in mega churches. If that is the case, here are my thoughts and they may not be right.

It sees to me that the appearance of mega-churches has produced, though not in all cases, a very shallow christianity. One where the entertainment and happiness of the attendees is the focus of attention rather than producing dedicated disciples who will go into all the world and take up their cross daily.

In addition the priesthood of all believers is put on the back burner and the chosen few become professional Christians and do most of what is seen as the important ministry.

Plus, there can develop an "anointed man of God" scenario which often puts him above all accountability.

And the one that is dear to my heart is that millions of dollars are spent on grand cathedrals (even evangelicals) when there are believers overseas who cannot afford a daily meal.

I realise that people point out what is and can be done when you have large numbers, but my query is this. The NT church had large numbers but did not inhabit "mega churches." They met in homes and went about doing good to all, especially those of the household of faith.

So I ask, "why can't we do the same and release millions of dollars for those in genuine need". Is the fact that we don't due to some people who like the power and prestige of mega church leadership and could not cope with ignominious leadership in a house church setting? is it a case we are not actually building the Kingdom of God, we are building my church as I see it?