Church letters?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
Where in the Bible is it mentioned to transfer letters for members from one church to another? Do all churches do this or is it just the Baptist?

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(setfree;22705)
Where in the Bible is it mentioned to transfer letters for members from one church to another? Do all churches do this or is it just the Baptist?
What do you mean by "transfer letters?" Is it a sort of like your personal record?? Like information about when you were baptized and married and how long you've been a member of that particular church? If so, I am certain that many churches keep track of that sort of thing - just as a matter of information about it's members.

setfree

Oct 14, 2007
This letter is given when you join a church saying that you left in good standing with the church you left. Some people join by letter saying you have been saved and baptized. Some join by statement. Some join by baptism. This might be a Baptist thing. I was just wondering if anything like this is mentioned in the Bible.

JUSTMEE

Oct 30, 2007
Sigh...it is not Biblical. Churches get more of the apportionment for the "official" numbers they have. I grew up in a Methodist church.

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
No, it's not directly biblical, but, they would argue, it is biblically based. They say that they want to avoid accepting an unsaved person as saved, because that has dangerous potential. Especially if they are some sort of heretic, who will pick apart baptist beliefs.They simply want to know if the person joining their community, left the other church because of something like inappropriate behavior, or huge doctrinal disputes.Of course, this is only practiced for people who wish to be involved in Church politics, and become official members. I'm a member of a Baptist church myself. If I ever want to change churches, for whatever reason, then I might, depending, require them to write a letter on my behalf.But no, there is no direct support in the scriptures, there is simply, what they argue, is an outline leading them to do this to keep order within the Church. In a sense, it's a fairly sound doctrine, but is not "commanded" though nothing is truly commanded in the absolute.In hope,~Tyrel

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the Church - the universal body of Christ - you don't need a certificate of membership or letter to transfer with your information. This is a creation of man for record keeping and perhaps other things.We are to judge by the fruit, not by a letter from another, IMHO.

Tyrel

Jan 16, 2007
(Denver;23493)
In the Church - the universal body of Christ - you don't need a certificate of membership or letter to transfer with your information. This is a creation of man for record keeping and perhaps other things.We are to judge by the fruit, not by a letter from another, IMHO.
With due respect, the rules you created for this forum are a construct of man. They are here to keep order are they not?I mean not to be rude here, but please consider that these letters serve the very same purpose, and should not be understood as anything more or less. Judging the fruits of another, requires discernment, time, effort, and if mistakes are made, then serious repercussions can occur.Yes it is a construct of man. However, I do not agree that Baptists should abandon this method in favor of simply "judging by the fruit".You must present a reason why their methodology is faulty and should be abandoned before treating it as though it is sufficiently undermined. If we say it is because it is a construct of man, then the rules on this forum come into question, along with a great many things, which generally people are content not to inhibit, understanding that these things serve a purpose and are reasonable.To make it clear; no Baptist should judge another based solely on the letter. It is simply a reference point.