Church Revival

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
My friends church is having a revival this week, and I am going tomorrow. But I have been to one of these with him before and they start shaking, running around, and speaking in tounges. And I have never felt the urge to do any of these things. I was just wandering if this is a usual thing that happens to people during a church revival or if this is just something they do. My friend say's they can't control it and that I don't have the holy spirit and that's why i don't act like them. But I thought I got they holy spirit when I asked Jesus into my heart, was I wrong

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
(followerofchrist;29102)
My friends church is having a revival this week, and I am going tomorrow. But I have been to one of these with him before and they start shaking, running around, and speaking in tounges. And I have never felt the urge to do any of these things. I was just wandering if this is a usual thing that happens to people during a church revival or if this is just something they do. My friend say's they can't control it and that I don't have the holy spirit and that's why i don't act like them. But I thought I got they holy spirit when I asked Jesus into my heart, was I wrong
You are absoulty right (your friend is wrong) the holy spirit comes into your heart upon belief and repentance. You are saved by his grace As far as Im concerned this kind of behavior is not from God I know others will disagree but its no differnt then the frenzy Voodoo worshipers and ancient tribes heathens work themselfs into God says be still dwell upon me. Not act like a fool heathen. Did you ever read of Christ or the apsostles dancing around chanting??????? The only time I remember off hand of this behavior was when the Hebrews melted the gold into an Idol while Moses was on the mt.I cant tell you whether to go or not but my advice is put on your armour of God and observe think of scripture and look objectivley at this behavior and see if you really think this from GodJob 37:14 Hearken unto this, O Job: stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Psa 4:4 Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still. Selah. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Psa 46:10 Be still, and know that I [am] God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Thankyou Kriss, those were my thoughts I just needed to know that I wasn't alone in my beliefs. I still think I will go but I will definately pray for strength before I do. I ejoy being around ppl that get excited about God, but sometimes they go beyond excitement and thats when I get uncomfortable. Hopefully this time that won't happen.

bytheway

Jan 1, 2008
(followerofchrist;29102)
We need the re-viver more than revival. The world is weary of seeing us they want to see Him through us. Meetings like this usually just show forth flesh! Please tell us about it. btw-

Thunder1

Dec 12, 2007
(followerofchrist;29172)
If you want, I will tell you all about it when I get back tonight but probably saturday.
I'd like to hear about your experience too. And I agree with kriss. Just be yourself.Love and Blessings,Thunder1

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(followerofchrist;29102)
My friends church is having a revival this week, and I am going tomorrow. But I have been to one of these with him before and they start shaking, running around, and speaking in tounges. And I have never felt the urge to do any of these things. I was just wandering if this is a usual thing that happens to people during a church revival or if this is just something they do. My friend say's they can't control it and that I don't have the holy spirit and that's why i don't act like them.
No church can say they are going to have a revival this week!God brings revival when people's hearts are contrite before him.If your heart is contrite it will be happening now not next tuesday at 7.30 pm when some guty starts shouting and working up a sweat!Jesus & the apostles never made people lose self-control!On the contrary they restored it in disturbed people through sound teaching and the miracles of God.Gal. 5:22: But the fruit of the Spirit is . . . temperance:Emotionalism is "the flesh". Just because they have received the Holy Spirit does NOT mean they are "walking in the Spirit". Rev. 3:1: And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.What men call "lively" isn't neccessarily what God calls lively!Jesus warned of "foolish virgins", and the Corinthians thought they were spiritual by all speaking in tongues in the meeting, Paul said they were carnal, there should only be one speaking at once and only 2 or 3 speak out in tongues, each with interpretation1Cor. 14:32: And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. . ..40: Let all things be done decently and in order.(followerofchrist;29102)
But I thought I got they holy spirit when I asked Jesus into my heart, was I wrong
The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?" (Jer. 17v9)(Jesus warns that many who call Him "Lord" will be told "I never knew you", he's talking about church-goers, not agnostics !). So, God must bare independant witness, the apsotles waited for this, so do I . . .In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit, and when they hadn't. The way of salvation hasn't changed.At Pentecost, the Holy Spirit began to be given as never before, making people sons of God (see John 7v39, 14v17, 20, 16v7). The apostles reported:-“ . . . they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. . . having received of the Father the promise of the Holy Ghost, he has shed forth this, which you now SEE and HEAR. . . For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to ALL that are afar off, even AS MANY AS the Lord our God shall call.” (Acts 2v4, 33, 39)If you were told that what you could "see and hear" (the speaking in tongues) was the promised Holy Spirit, and that this was to you and all who God would call, wouldn’t you expect to speak in tongues, or be told if this was not the case?With the gentiles:-“ While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.” (Acts 10v44)How did he know ?“For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.” (v46)If it is possible to receive the Spirit and NOT speak in tongues, the apostles were *wrong* to judge that the Spirit had just fallen upon people when they spoke in tongues, logically they could only say that people had *at some unknown time previously* received the Spirit . . . but they didn't.In Acts 8v5-18 we read of people who "believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women" (v12), we also read of "great joy", healings etc. Many would assume that these people have therefore received the Holy Spirit but . ."when the apostles which were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent unto them Peter and John: Who, when they were come down, prayed for them, that they might receive the Holy Ghost: (For as yet he was fallen upon none of them: only they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.)" (vv14-16)Philip obviously sent a message to them so they all had a way of knowing that these believers had NOT YET received the Holy Spirit !!How ? The answer is freely given already, nothing is hidden, there is no secret way.My advise is get to a church that sticks to the bible way, nothing added, nothing taken away.I'm with [url="http://www.revivalusa.org]The Revival Fellowship[/url].

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
(followerofchrist;29102)
No, you're not wrong, they are. When you accept Jesus Christ as your Saviour, the Holy Spirit indwells you and stays with you. Some churches put entirely too much emphasis on speaking in tongues. Jesus said "You must be born again", but I don't remember reading any place where He said, "You must speak in tongues, or you're not born again." Check Romans 8:9.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
Ok well last night was interesting to say the least. They had this preacher who would get really excited and they would all start speaking in tounges and then he would yell at the top of his lounges and go running down the aisle which I thought was weird but I was trying to keep an open mind. Then later when everyone started praying thats when it got ALOT crazier. People were jumping up and down and stomping on the ground. Then they started doing the thing where the preacher would like touch them on the forehead and they would passout or something i don't really know. Any way they asked me if i wanted the holy ghost, which I think you get right when your saved, but anyway I still wanted to see if i was wrong so i went up there. And they were all around speaking in tounges and moaning and they had hands on me and they were telling me to just let my tounge go, i did but i really sounded ridiculous and i didn't feel like I was using some divine gift. And i think they expected me to fall over like the other people i after a while, because i had been up there longer than the rest, I was considering just falling over so they would let me go sit down but i stayed up there for a little while longer and I *let my tounge go again* and they all got excited and let me go back to my seat. So ultimately I didn't really experience anything knew or really feel anything. But I don't think i was suppost, I was literally praying the whole time i was there and asking god to guide me and lead me, and keep me from any false practices and I couldn't speak in tounges and i didn't pass out when they touched my forehead so honestly i don't think any of that stuff is of God. But they still get excited about God which is cool, and probably the coolest thing i saw was somebody speaking in tounges and they actually had a translation.So this was the church revival...what do yall think?

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Sweetnext time though when the pastor asks you if you want the holy spirit say" nope, I accepted Jesus as my savior and already have it, in fact I always have it, what about you."we never have enough courage to say those things but it would be so cool if someone stepped up and did. overall even though they got the concept of the holy spirit pretty much wrong it is very cool that they go all out for God.I almost wish my church was like that though, catholics are so boring, all we do is stare at the wall and smile politley. it never seems that we get into it. the only time I ever saw anyhting like that was in a huge catholic youth conference where, just like your church everybody was going all out, but without the tounges but in a regular mass nothing like that happens.who knows maybe I could change that up when I become a priest.If god is willingyour brother in christRyan Fitz

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(Jon-Marc;29238)
. . Some churches put entirely too much emphasis on speaking in tongues. Jesus said "You must be born again", but I don't remember reading any place where He said, "You must speak in tongues, or you're not born again." Check Romans 8:9.
That's probably because most preachers that quote from John 3 miss out v8 & 12:-John 3:8: The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. . . .:12: If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?Q) What was heard of the Holy Spirit with everyone that received Him?A) Tongues of course!!Jesus also said:-John 14:17: Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.:18: I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.:19: Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.:20: At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.That day for them was Pentecost, they knew, like all disciples know, by the sign of tongues.Mark 16:16: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.:17: And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;When will believers speak in new tongues?None had until then!The new sign signified something new - the receiving of the Spirit who was not given until Pentecost.Except you learn to read the signs you will never get there!

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(TallMan;29295)
That's probably because most preachers that quote from John 3 miss out v8 & 12:-John 3:8: The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. . . .:12: If I have told you earthly things, and ye believe not, how shall ye believe, if I tell you of heavenly things?Q) What was heard of the Holy Spirit with everyone that received Him?A) Tongues of course!!Jesus also said:-John 14:17: Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.:18: I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.:19: Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.:20: At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.That day for them was Pentecost, they knew, like all disciples know, by the sign of tongues.Mark 16:16: He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.:17: And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;When will believers speak in new tongues?None had until then!The new sign signified something new - the receiving of the Spirit who was not given until Pentecost.Except you learn to read the signs you will never get there!
Isn't this getting ridiculous for you to be saying the same thing over and over Tallman? Lord Yahshua never spake an unknown tongue. JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
(Letsgofishing;29290)
Sweetnext time though when the pastor asks you if you want the holy spirit say" nope, I accepted Jesus as my savior and already have it, in fact I always have it, what about you."we never have enough courage to say those things but it would be so cool if someone stepped up and did...
haha ya we alway's think of the cleverist things to say right after the opportunity has passed.

TallMan

Jul 20, 2007
(thesuperjag;29298)
Lord Yahshua never spake an unknown tongue.
No, because he was born to die under the Old Covenant to bring in the New Covenant, signified with a new sign, just like previous covenants were (Gen.9:12-15, 17:11 etc).Lord Yahshua says that believers will speak in new tongues . . . when?Acts shows they all do when they receive the Holy Spirit which is entering the New Covenant, a new tongue signifies the new heart.By saying otherwise you reject his works and words and so certainly do not love him (according to him).

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(TallMan;29333)
(thesuperjag;29298)
Lord Yahshua never spake an unknown tongue.
No, because he was born to die under the Old Covenant to bring in the New Covenant, signified with a new sign, just like previous covenants were (Gen.9:12-15, 17:11 etc).Lord Yahshua says that believers will speak in new tongues . . . when?Acts shows they all do when they receive the Holy Spirit which is entering the New Covenant, a new tongue signifies the new heart.By saying otherwise you reject his works and words and so certainly do not love him (according to him).And those new tongues are no where near unknown tongue as they are not in the manuscripts.JagLovest thou in Christ Yahshua, Lord and Saviour of the world.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(Letsgofishing;29290)
I almost wish my church was like that though, catholics are so boring, all we do is stare at the wall and smile politley. it never seems that we get into it. the only time I ever saw anyhting like that was in a huge catholic youth conference where, just like your church everybody was going all out, but without the tounges but in a regular mass nothing like that happens.your brother in christRyan Fitz
Speak for yourself Ryan! YOU may be staring at the wall & smiling politely... I meanwhile am totally focused on my Savior... I'll take THIS, which we either say (or sing) at every mass over yelling, stomping, babbling any day: Glory to God in the Highest, and peace to His people on Earth.Lord God, Hevenly King, Almightly God and Father, we worship you, we give you thanks, we praise you for your Glory... Glory to God in the Highest, and Peace to His people on Earth.... Lord Jesus Christ only Son of the Father, Lord God, Lamb of God you take away the Sins of the World have mercy on us.. you are seated at the right hand of the Father, recieve our prayers.... Glory to God in the Highest.. and Peace to His people on Earth.. For you alone are Holy One, you alone are the Lord, you alone the Most High.. Jesus Christ.. with the Holy Spirit in the Glory of God the Father.. Amen.. Amen... Glory to God in the Highest and Peace.. to His People on Earth.

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
Listen I have better things to do in my life than stare at the wall and smiling. And when I mean that the catholic mass need to be more animated I don't mean useless yellign and babbling but I would love more people to sing Glory to God in the Highest, and peace to His people on Earth.Lord God, Hevenly King, Almightly God and Father, we worship you, we give you thanks, we praise you for your Glory... Glory to God in the Highest, and Peace to His people on Earth.... Lord Jesus Christ only Son of the Father, Lord God, Lamb of God you take away the Sins of the World have mercy on us.. you are seated at the right hand of the Father, recieve our prayers.... Glory to God in the Highest.. and Peace to His people on Earth.. For you alone are Holy One, you alone are the Lord, you alone the Most High.. Jesus Christ.. with the Holy Spirit in the Glory of God the Father.. Amen.. Amen... Glory to God in the Highest and Peace.. to His People on Earth. than just the quire.and I would love thier to be more electricity in the mass.for their to be more youth who are excited about God.and I would love an animated sermom which doesn't make just think but challenges me.and I would love more people going to the mass not as a commitment but as a choice.and I would.....ectbut hey I got to look at the bright side.at least the mass is in english right now. ( actually I never have had to hear the mass in Latin but you probably have.)its a great mass, but I got to try and improve it. your brother in christRyan Fitz

Letsgofishing

Nov 27, 2007
it was a while ago before I was born. but they did use to do the entire mass in latin except for the sermon and did not translate.that must have been fun
rolleyes.gif
your brother in christRyan Fitz