"Come now, and let us reason together" (Isaiah 1:18)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool."

What does this mean?

Besides the obvious, plain reading, it sounds to me like God expects us to run into some difficulty understanding Him and the salvation He offers, at times.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What does this mean?
What it means that from God's perspective salvation through Christ is most reasonable, because it is the blood of Christ which washes the soul and washes away sins. But because it is supernatural, and totally in God's hands, it is a stumbling block to the natural man.

God made provision for the temporary covering of sins through animal sacrifices within the Old Covenant. But the Lamb of God took away the sin of the world. And that was one sacrifice for sins forever.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD, “Though your sins are like scarlet, They shall be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They shall be as wool."

What does this mean?

Esaias Chapter 1

1 The vision which Esaias the son of Amos saw, which he saw against Juda, and against Jerusalem, in the reign of Ozias, and Joatham, and Achaz, and Ezekias, who reigned over Judea. 2 Hear, O heaven, and hearken, O earth: for the Lord has spoken, saying, I have begotten and reared up children, but they have rebelled against me. 3 The ox knows his owner, and the ass his master’s crib: but Israel does not know me, and the people has not regarded me. 4 Ah sinful nation, a people full of sins, an evil seed, lawless children: ye have forsaken the Lord, and provoked the Holy One of Israel. 5 Why should ye be smitten any more, transgressing more and more? the whole head is pained, and the whole heart sad. 6 From the feet to the head, there is no soundness in them; neither wound, nor bruise, nor festering ulcer are healed: it is not possible to apply a plaister, nor oil, nor bandages. 7 Your land is desolate, your cities burned with fire: your land, strangers devour it in your presence, and it is made desolate, overthrown by strange nations. 8 The daughter of Sion shall be deserted as a tent in a vineyard, and as a storehouse of fruits in a garden of cucumbers, as a besieged city. 9 And if the Lord of Sabaoth had not left us a seed, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been made like Gomorrah. 10 Hear the word of the Lord, ye rulers of Sodoma; attend to the law of God, thou people of Gomorrah. 11 Of what value to me is the abundance of your sacrifices? saith the Lord: I am full of whole-burnt-offerings of rams; and I delight not in the fat of lambs, and the blood of bulls and goats: 12 neither shall ye come with these to appear before me; for who has required these things at your hands? Ye shall no more tread my court. 13 Though ye bring fine flour, it is vain; incense is an abomination to me; I cannot bear your new moons, and your sabbaths, and the great day; 14 your fasting, and rest from work, your new moons also, and your feasts my soul hates: ye have become loathsome to me; I will no more pardon your sins. 15 When ye stretch forth your hands, I will turn away mine eyes from you: and though ye make many supplications, I will not hearken to you; for your hands are full of blood. 16 Wash you, be clean; remove your iniquities from your souls before mine eyes; cease from your iniquities; 17 learn to do well; diligently seek judgment, deliver him that is suffering wrong, plead for the orphan, and obtain justice for the widow. 18 And come, let us reason together, saith the Lord: and though your sins be as purple, I will make them white as snow; and though they be as scarlet, I will make them white as wool. 19 And if ye be willing, and hearken to me, ye shall eat the good of the land: 20 but if ye be not willing, nor hearken to me, a sword shall devour you: for the mouth of the Lord has spoken this. 21 How has the faithful city Sion, once full of judgment, become a harlot! wherein righteousness lodged, but now murderers. 22 Your silver is worthless, thy wine merchants mix the wine with water. 23 Thy princes are rebellious, companions of thieves, loving bribes, seeking after rewards; not pleading for orphans, and not heeding the cause of widows.

About the phrase, "Come now let us reason together," it means the Lord will reveal wisdom to them again if they turn from their sins. They had come to the place where they no longer truly knew God or the way He thought. This is clear in verse 3, when He tells them, "The ox knows his owner, and the ass his master’s crib: but Israel does not know me, and the people has not regarded me." Why? V.4 says, "You have forsaken the Lord, and [thus] provoked the Holy One of Israel."

The phrase "And though your sins be as purple, I will make them white as snow; and though they be as scarlet, I will make them white as wool," then means they will receive His forgiveness through their sacrifices again if they turn back to Him, which currently they were not (v.11-14).
Besides the obvious, plain reading, it sounds to me like God expects us to run into some difficulty understanding Him and the salvation He offers, at times.

The implication of the passage is that sin will do this to a person. Sin distances us from God, and makes us hard of hearing. This was the state Israel was in when the Lord came, and why He eventually turned from them to the Gentiles, as Paul would tell them in Acts:

25 And when they agreed not among themselves, they departed, after that Paul had spoken one word, Well spake the Holy Ghost by Esaias the prophet unto our fathers, 26 Saying, Go unto this people, and say, Hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and not perceive: 27 For the heart of this people is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes have they closed; lest they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them. 28 Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they will hear it. 29 And when he had said these words, the Jews departed, and had great reasoning among themselves. (Acts 28:25-29)

Reactions: BarneyFife

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means that we are to reason with the Lord concerning doctrine; and that when we come to the proper, reasonable conclusion, our sins, which are as scarlet, shall be as white as snow.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

What does this mean?

People tend to rationalize the truth away. So reasoning in one's fallen mind does not lead to truth. Truth is something not understood at all at first.

So then Jesus asked...why do you reason among yourselves? And this being a futility since no one understood the truth. It would be like thinking a group of 1st graders could figure out quantum theory just by getting in a huddle to discuss it.

But if a physicist joins the group...well then let the reasoning begin. :)

So then God says...let us reason together...and that because He HAS the truth and wishes to impart that to us.

But His people have always refused the truth...in all times and places. Only a few will listen.

Of course people DO huddle together to find a short-cut to the truth that satisfies the religious mind. As such the truth becomes "easy" instead of graspable only by faith. The human moral religious bent is always looking for satisfaction. That's why men are religious.

But God has another way. A way that men will deny...but that has power and truth.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most certainly, He is able to help us to reason out what needs to be reasoned out in order for us to come into His salvation.