Commentary on Romans.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 10:8, But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; Rom 10:9, That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Rom 10:10, For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. Rom 10:11, For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. Rom 10:12, For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. Rom 10:13, For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

In v.8, what saith the righteousness of faith (cont'd from verse 6, but the righteousness of faith speaketh on this wise). If you have the righteousness of faith, then the word of God is near you, in your mouth and in your heart. At appropo times, you will find yourself able to quote holy scripture to fit a situation that is at hand. The word of God is both in your mouth and in your heart. It is in your mouth....you can quote it at opportune times. It is in your heart...which means that you live by the holy scriptures; your life shows forth that you are a born again Christian.

In v.9, It is the word of faith that we preach that is in our mouth and in our heart; and this word is that if a person confesses the Lord Jesus with their mouth while believing that God has raised Him from the dead, they shall be saved. For the one who has the righteousness of faith, every word that we speak has a singular goal...that the people that we speak to may become born again of the Holy Spirit...and, if they are already born again, that they may be edified in their faith in order that they might be healthy sheep who might beget other sheep.

In v.10, A heart faith is unto righteousness; which means right living. A shallow, nominal, or lukewarm faith will not stand when tested, it is the kind of faith spoken of in Luke 8:13. But a faith that is unto righteousness will also endure unto the end (Matthew 10:22, Hebrews 3:6, Hebrews 3:14) and will result in everlasting life (John 6:47). Also, confession is made unto salvation with the mouth. I do believe that a deathbed conversion where one blinks with the eyes may or may not save a man. I am not the judge of this but it is the Lord who will judge such a situation. But here it says that confession is made with the mouth. Except under extreme circumstances, I believe that if confession is not made with the mouth, it is not a true confession. A person has his whole life to confess the Lordship of Jesus Christ. If someone waits until he can't speak to make his confession I will only say that the Lord is the true judge of such a thing.

In v.11, The person who will believe in Jesus will not be ashamed. In 1 Peter 2:6 it says that they shall not be confounded. An exception to this is that as real believers in Christ, we are in fact ashamed of our old behaviour that we exhibited before we came to faith in Jesus Christ, Romans 6:21. But because we are made brand new, while we may be ashamed of our past, we are not ashamed of our present and our future. For we have been transformed from the inside out; and therefore our present and our future has a bright outcome in the righteousness of the Lord.

In v.12, It doesn't matter if you are a Jew or a Greek, this salvation is available to all. In those days the Jewish people believed that the Gentiles were created to stoke the fires of hell to keep the people in heaven warm. But whether you are Jew or Greek, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, if you are in Christ you are redeemed. There is no difference; for all have sinned and come short of the glory of the Lord.

In v.13, For all who call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. Notice that this is absolute terminology; as opposed to the "should not perish" of John 3:16. This is to say that actually praying to the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth and asking Him to save you has an eternal effect on the one who does this. You may believe and never call on Jesus' Name for salvation...you just might make it into the kingdom that way. But if you want absolute assurance, call on His name.

Look at Acts of the Apostles 22:16. In the days of the early church, people called on the name of the Lord at baptism. Mark 16:16 also uses absolute terminology to denote salvation for the one who believes and is baptized. Is baptism necessary? I know that it is debatable. I would encourage a man to compare Acts of the Apostles 2:39 to Romans 8:30 and make a conclusion; for I believe that Acts of the Apostles 2:38 is a conditional promise. But if a man can call on the name of the Lord apart from baptism, the act of calling on the name of the Lord will most assuredly save him. If, after calling on His name, you still have doubts about your salvation, being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins certainly will not hurt you (see Acts of the Apostles 2:38). I would keep going until you have absolute assurance. Personally, I know that I know that I know that I am saved because I received baptism in Jesus' Name.

But if you want to call on the name of the Lord presently, this also, certainly will not hurt you.

You can pray something like this:

Dear Jesus Christ of Nazareth, I call upon Your name for salvation. I recognize that I am a sinner in need of a Saviour and I ask You to forgive me of all my sins and to wash me in Your blood. I believe that You died for me on the Cross, were buried, and that You rose again the third day according to the scriptures. Please fill me with Your Holy Spirit; for I receive You into my heart. I confess that You are the Son of God according to the definition found in Isaiah 9:6; and I receive and confess You as the Lord of my life. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 10:14, How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? Rom 10:15, And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! Rom 10:16, But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? Rom 10:17, So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. Rom 10:18, But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. Rom 10:19, But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by them that are no people, and by a foolish nation I will anger you. Rom 10:20, But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. Rom 10:21, But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

In v.14, We cannot call upon Jesus Christ if we do not believe in Him. And we cannot believe in Him if we have never heard of Him. And we cannot hear of Him unless someone preaches Him to us. This would indicate that preaching of the gospel is necessary for a man to be saved. Those who have never heard cannot be saved ;)

In v.15, No one can be preached to unless a preacher is sent. Some preachers are sent by their churches, others are sent by God; and still others are sent by both.

In v.16, Here is a key to understanding what the gospel is all about: we must obey the gospel. I have spoken in expounding on Romans 1:5 (Commentary on Romans.) of the obedience of faith verses obedience to the faith, near the beginning of this commentary. But I will say that there is an obedience that has to do with faith, an obedience to God and an obedience to the principle of love. Those who believe the report will be transformed inwardly by the love of Jesus Christ.

In v.17, Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of the Lord. If you want to know how to get the faith that you need to be saved (see Ephesians 2:8-9), then this is the verse that will tell you. You obtain faith by hearing God's word. Does this mean hearing with the ear, or hearing with the heart? Perhaps a little bit of both. When we merely read God's word, it comes in through the eye-gate; and this may not produce the faith that Christ desires; for the letter kills but the spirit gives life. But when we hear it with the ear, as from a preacher, it will most definitely produce faith. While if we hear with the heart, while we may be only reading the word of the Lord, it will also produce faith. For the words that He speaks to us are spirit and they are life.

In v.18, I gave a wink when I said that no one can be saved without having the gospel preached to them. Now I will say that the gospel is preached by all of creation to the souls of men. People today are without excuse; because the invisible attributes of God are clearly seen, being discernible by the things that are made. All of creation preaches of His eternal power and Godhead to the unbelieving souls. So everyone has been preached to, no one is exempt from judgment over having never heard.

In v.19, Israel knew of the gospel also; because Moses gave them his song; declaring that God would make them jealous by the nation of the Gentiles. And they are jealous of our relationship with God. Paul specifically magnified his ministry as the apostle to the Gentiles because he wanted to make the Gentiles so obedient and blessed that his kinsmen according to the flesh would be provoked unto emulation.

In v.20, God was found of the Gentiles who didn't even seek Him. Because He sought them out. Oh the wonderful grace of God!

In v.21, However, Israel was disobedient and gainsaying. Even though God also sought them out, they did not respond in faith as did the Gentiles. It is very topsy-turvy. God's chosen people, the Jews, rejected God; while the Gentiles, who were not originally chosen, received Him when He came unto them. I believe that this can be attributed to the principles that I shewed forth in my teaching on Romans 9:30-Romans 10:4 (Commentary on Romans).

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 11:1, I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. Rom 11:2, God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, Rom 11:3, Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life. Rom 11:4, But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal. Rom 11:5, Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace. Rom 11:6, And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise work is no more work.

In v.1, Did God cast away His people because of what was previously said, in chapter 10, about Israel? May it never be! For Paul himself was an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham and of the tribe of Benjamin.

In v.2-5, God has not forsaken the people of Israel. There is still a remnant that "has not bowed the knee to the image of Baal". These have placed their faith in Jesus Christ as YHWH.

In v.6, We find that when it comes to salvation, grace and works are mutually exclusive.

This is not to say that being saved by grace will not produce works in the believer's life. For it is written,

1Co 15:10, But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.

Therefore, one who has been affected by grace will labour for the souls of others; because the love of the Lord has been shed abroad in his heart.

But verse 6 is saying clearly, when you compare it with verse 5, that concerning the election of grace, works cannot have a part in being the actual catalyst for salvation. Grace and works are mutually exclusive in this regard.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 11:7, What then? Israel hath not obtained that which he seeketh for; but the election hath obtained it, and the rest were blinded Rom 11:8, (According as it is written, God hath given them the spirit of slumber, eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear;) unto this day. Rom 11:9, And David saith, Let their table be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumblingblock, and a recompence unto them: Rom 11:10, Let their eyes be darkened, that they may not see, and bow down their back alway.

In v.7, it is clear that Israel did not obtain the salvation that it was seeking for. Israel stumbled at that stumblingstone; they saw the lives of those who are saved, that the law and the prophets testify to their righteousness (Romans 3:21); and they assumed that the way to salvation is to be righteous according to the law.

However, the righteousness, attested to by the law and the prophets, given to those who are redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, was not given through attempting to obey a set of do's and don'ts. It was given through faith in Jesus Christ; for it is written, that if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin (1 John 1:7). It is written, that if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us of our sins, and will cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). And, it is written that He gave Himself for us that He might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works (Titus 2:14).

It is clear from holy scripture that the blood of Jesus sanctifies us (Hebrews 13:12, Hebrews 10:29) and cleanses us from all sin (1 John 1:7).

By faith, we have been filled with the love of the Lord (Romans 5:5) through the Holy Spirit; and this is the fulfilling of the righteousness of the law within us (Romans 8:4).

So it is not through attempting to keep a set of do's and don'ts that we obtain a righteousness that is attested to by the law and the prophets; it is through faith in Jesus who sheds abroad His love in our hearts.

But the Jews sought to obtain the righteousness through the apparent means. It appeared to them, that since those who were saved were impeccable according to the law, that being impeccable according to the law was the means by which a man may obtain salvation. They stumbled at that stumblingstone. They didn't seek it by faith; but as it were, through the works of the law. And therefore they did not obtain the righteousness and salvation that they were seeking for.

However, there will come a day when Israel will get it: that it is by faith that this righteousness comes; and in that day all of Israel shall be saved (Romans 11:26).

In v.8, it is shown that Israel, during the times of the Gentiles, as a common people group, will reject the gospel for the most part. They have eyes that they should not see, and ears that they should not hear.

In v.9, we are reminded of a prayer of King David, that the blessing that was upon the Jewish people (specifically, his enemies) would turn out to be a curse. That their table would be made a snare, and a trap, and a stumbling block to them. That their prosperity would turn out for their destruction (see Proverbs 1:32).

In v.10, it is one of the few places in Paul's writings that speak of hell. That their back should bend backwards always is a curse that wold be equal to everlasting torments or condemnation.

There are those who deny the concept of hell as everlasting torments and they have their arguments for their pov.

But I would give only a few reasons why I believe that hell and the lake of fire are everlasting torments.

1) Revelation 20:10 gives a description of what the lake of fire will be like for those who are cast into it;

2) Matthew 13:41-42, Matthew 13:49-50, and Matthew 25:46 together appear to me to speak of everlasting punishment that consists of being in a furnace of fire where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth;

3) Even if the story of the rich man and Lazarus is a parable, there is still the question of what it means parabolically that the rich man was "tormented in this flame"...those who claim it is a parable have no answer for what this means; and therefore I consider that the literal meaning is our best bet for understanding what is meant by this passage of holy scripture; and,

4) What we have in this verse in Romans, that certain people will have their backs bent backwards for ever; which appears to me to be speaking also of everlasting torments.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 11:11, I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy. Rom 11:12, Now if the fall of them be the riches of the world, and the diminishing of them the riches of the Gentiles; how much more their fulness? Rom 11:13, For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: Rom 11:14, If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. Rom 11:15, For if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be, but life from the dead?

In v.11, Paul is saying that Israel has not stumbled so that it should fall. Israel will be redeemed in the last days. But now, in the times of the Gentiles, Israel's fall means that salvation has come to the Gentiles. And the reason why salvation has come to the Gentiles is for the sake of the Jewish people; so that they might become jealous of the blessings of the gospel as it is given to the Gentiles and to provoke Israel to emulation so that they might also be saved through the gospel that bestows such scandalous and extravagant grace on sinning Gentile communities.

In v.12, Paul begins to make the argument that Gentiles ought to preach to Jews. If the fact that Israel fell is a blessing for the Gentiles, how much more will their restoration be a blessing?

In v.13, Paul speaks of what he said before in Romans 9:1-3, Romans 10:1 about how he desires the salvation of his kinsmen according to the flesh, the Jewish people. Paul himself was called to be the apostle to the Gentiles; but he had a great heart for his own people and wanted them to be saved. Here, he magnifies his office as the apostle to the Gentiles in order that he might exhort Gentiles to be loving toward his kinsment the Jewish people by preaching the gospel to them.

In v.14, Paul speaks of the fact that Gentiles being obedient and blessed will have the fact of making the Jewish people jealous of them so that they might realize that this is what was prophesied by Moses in the song that he gave to all the people of Israel.

This song can be found in Deuteronomy 32; see specifically Deuteronomy 32:21.

In v.15, Paul expounds more on the benefits of preaching to the Jewish people. When they get saved, there will not only be blessing; but you will see literal, physical, resurrections occurring in the church of Jesus Christ.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 11:16, For if the firstfruit be holy, the lump is also holy: and if the root be holy, so are the branches. Rom 11:17, And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree. Rom 11:18, Boast not against the branches. But if thou boast, thou bearest not the root, but the root thee. Rom 11:19, Thou wilt say then, The branches were broken off, that I might be graffed in. Rom 11:20, Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: Rom 11:21, For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Rom 11:22, Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

In v.16, the firstfruit represents the olive tree that is Israel, the lump is Israel itself; but there is a transferring of who the lump is in this passage, because the branches are going to be broken off and other branches graffed in.

In v.17, The branches that are broken off are the people of Israel, and the Gentiles believers in Christ will be graffed in.

In v.18, we are told that if we have been graffed in as Gentile believers, that we ought not to boast against the people of Israel; because the root is Israel; and our religion is based in Judeo-Christian values; not just Christian values.

In v.19, there are those who would excuse their boasting against the branches by saying that the original branhces were broken off and they graffed in; and therefore they are more important than the original branches.

In v.20, we are told that the original branches were broken off because of unbelief but that we stand by faith. Therefore let us not be conceited or highminded; but let us fear.

In v.21, Because if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare us either.

In v.22, Here we are told that our key to not being cut off as the original branches were is that we continue in His goodness.

Now in this passage the issue of eternal security is brought forth.

This passage is often used to indicate that a person can lose their salvation after they have been saved.

However, I would say that the ones who are truly saved have been given a new nature that is inclined towards goodness and have also been sealed by the Holy Spirit and are motivated evermore afterwards to walk in the goodness of the Lord.

Therefore this passage is speaking to those who would latch onto the idea of eternal security even though they are not living holy lives.

In John 10:27-30 we have a three-fold assurance of eternal security; which I will not here focus on. What I will focus on right now is that those who are given these promises and assurance are people whom Jesus
knows.

There are those who on their day of judgment, Jesus will say to them,
I never knew you; although they did many things for Jesus: because they were workers of iniquity on the side of their ministering duties (Matthew 7:21-23).

Those who practiced iniquity in life and never repented of their sins will be cast into a furnace of fire no matter how much they protest to our Lord with verses about the eternal security of the believer. (Matthew 13:41-42).

In 1 John 3:6 and in 1 John 2:17 we find the true doctrine of eternal security.

The person who abideth in Christ "sinneth not" (1 John 3:6) for ever (1 John 2:17).

This is eternal security for the one who has truly been regenerated and renewed; transformed from the inside out by the power of the word of the Lord and of the blood of Jesus and of the Holy Ghost. Such people will continue in His goodness and therefore will never be cut off.

If you look at Jeremiah 32:38-40 (kjv), I believe that you will see that the contention that, although no one can snatch us out of his hand, we can walk away ourselves, only applies to those who do not have the fear of the LORD.

It is verses and passages that teach us that we can lose our salvation that places the fear of the LORD in us in the first place. But once you have the fear of the LORD, you cannot walk away from Him according to this passage (see also Psalms 19:9 (kjv)).

We ought not to be highminded but rather we ought to fear. However, we can be confident of this one thing, that He which hath begun a good work in us (if He has indeed begun that work in us) will be faithful to complete it until the day of Jesus Christ (Philippians 1:6).

Therefore, 2 Peter 1:10 is my exhortation to you...it is a reiteration in clearer language of what it says in Philippians 2:12.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 11:23, And they also, if they abide not still in unbelief, shall be graffed in: for God is able to graff them in again. Rom 11:24, For if thou wert cut out of the olive tree which is wild by nature, and wert graffed contrary to nature into a good olive tree: how much more shall these, which be the natural branches, be graffed into their own olive tree? Rom 11:25, For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. Rom 11:26, And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: Rom 11:27,, For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins. Rom 11:28, As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sakes. Rom 11:29, For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.

In v.23, God is able to graff Israel back into the olive tree that He took Israel out of. Here we find that if someone "loses their salvation" they can be restored.

In v.24, if you, being a wild olive branch, were graffed into the olive tree, how much more will the natural branches be graffed in?

In v.25, there is going to come a fulfillment of "the times of the Gentiles". As soon as the last Gentile that can come to Christ, comes to Him, the rapture of the church will occur, and the last seven years of world history will unfold before the visible return of Christ. When Christ returns, He will rule and reign with all the saints for 1,000 yrs. During the seven years of Great Tribulation, God will deal with Israel everything that He needs to do in order to make them the refined silver that He wants them to be. In the meantime, they have been blinded in part to the reality of the gospel of Jesus Christ. When Jesus retunrs, He will show them His hands and His feet, "they will look on Him whom they have pierced; and shall mourn for Him as for an only son."

In v.26, All of israel will be save dwhen they see the return of Jesus Christ to the earth. At that time He will turn away from them all ungodliness. Those who don't believe in the doctrine of entire sanctification don't understand the Bible. If they did, they would see that this verse (and others) teach us that we can be delivered from ungodliness even in this lifetime.

In v.27, He will take away their sins. He will do for them what He has already done for you, if you have received the second benefit (2 Corinthians 1:15) and been sanctified wholly (1 Thessalonians 5:22-23 (kjv), Hebrews 10:14 (kjv), 1 John 3:9; Jude 1:24, 2 Peter 1:10, 1 John 2:10; 1 John 3:7, 1 John 3:3, 1 John 2:6; 1 John 3:6, 1 John 2:17; Romans 6:6, Colossians 2:11).

In v.28, the Jewish people, for the most part are opposed to the gospel. In 1 Thessalonians 2, it says that because some Jewish people forbid the gospel from being preached, wrath is come upon them to the uttermost. Nevertheless, from the perspective of God's plan, He has foreordained that all Israel will be saved in the last days...

In v.29, I am going to take this verse slightly out of its immediate context to say that salvation is the gift of God to us (Romans 6:23) and therefore if salvation has ever been truly given to you, it is given to you without repentance. In other words, God is not going to take back the gift that He has given to you. If you love Jesus, you will always love Jesus. For the love of the Lord shed abroad in your heart (Romans 5:5) is an everlasting gift.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 11:30, For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief: Rom 11:31, Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy. Rom 11:32, For God hath concluded them all in unbelief, that he might have mercy upon all. Rom 11:33, O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out! Rom 11:34, For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor? Rom 11:35, Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? Rom 11:36, For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen.

In v. 30-31, We have obtained mercy because of the unbelief of Israel: because they were removed from the olive tree, room was made for us to be graffed in. But now we do not have to be removed from the olive tree in order for Israel to be graffed in again; for we were graffed in because of their unbelief; but they will be graffed in again because of our mercy. In other words, they will come to the knowledge of Christ because we reach out to the Jewish people in love and share the gospel with them.

v.32, If anyone had faith throughout their whole lives, God's dealings with them would not be on the basis of mercy but on the basis of the holiness that they had through faith. So God set things up in such a way that no one would have faith from conception into eternity, except One: His Son Jesus Christ. Therefore, God's dealings with all of us is on the basis of mercy because all have had unbelief at some point in their lives. Jesus lived a perfectly innocent life in full faith and was condemned; we lived lives that contained unbelief and were redeemed. Jesus received what He did not deserve (hell) in order that we might not receive what we do deserve (hell). And He did not get what He deserved (heaven) in order that we might receive what we did not deserve (heaven).

In v.33, the judgments of the Lord are unsearchable...we cannot begin to fathom His ways. It is written,

Isa 55:8, For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
Isa 55:9, For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Even as concerning the Trinity; I would say that we can know what the doctrine is and that we can even understand the basics of the doctrine.

Eph 3:3, How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4, Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

I have indeed written in a few words concerning the mystery of the Trinity and I believe that if you read with understanding you may even be able to come to understand the mystery.

If you will read posts #1-#6 of the following thread, you will find these words:

True Trinity.

In v.34, No one has known the mind of the Lord or become His counsellor. However, it should be clear what is written in 1 Corinthians 2:16, that as those who have been filled with the Holy Ghost, we now have the mind of Christ. Therefore, the Lord does in fact listen to us when it comes to the things that we pray to Him. However, He will not always go about things in the exact manner of detail that we have prayed to Him about. (Because He is the only wise God). And therefore we may sometimes think that the Lord has not answered our prayers; when in all reality He has answered the spirit of what we prayed about in the way that He saw fit.

In v.35, No one has ever given to God that God should have to repay them. This brings up an interesting point, of what it says in Romans 4:4. If someone comes to the Lord on the basis of his works, his reward is not reckoned of grace but of debt. Thus God would have to repay him concerning services rendered. But God makes it clear that He is not benefited by our service to Him and that He will not owe us anything. It is written,

Luk 17:5, And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.
Luk 17:6, And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
Luk 17:7, But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
Luk 17:8, And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
Luk 17:9, Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.

Luk 17:10, So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

If you want to have an increased faith, then consider that, once you have done everything that you can for the lord, that you have only done your duty. Therefore the Lord does not owe you anything; you were merely operating as a faithful servant the entire time that you were in His employment.

In v. 36, The Lord created all things for Himself. It is written,

Rev 4:11, Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Not only did the Lord create all things for Himself, but all things were created of Him, and through Him. Consider:

Psa 104:28, That thou givest them they gather: thou openest thine hand, they are filled with good.
Psa 104:29, Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled: thou takest away their breath, they die, and return to their dust.
Psa 104:30, Thou sendest forth thy spirit, they are created: and thou renewest the face of the earth.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 12:1, I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. Rom 12:2, And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

In v.1, Paul beseeches us by God's mercies to present our bodies as living sacrifices unto God in a holy manner. This is our reasonable service; some translations say it is our reasonable service of worship.

The problem with a living sacrifice is that it has the tendency to crawl off of the altar.

Thus, we have to put the following scripture into play.

Psa 118:27, God is the LORD, which hath shewed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.

We need to ask the Lord to take it out of our hands, in binding us, as a sacrifice, with cords unto the horns of the altar. If we ask the Lord to do this in sincerity, then it will not be against our free will for Him to keep us presented to Him as a holy sacrifice.

Please do notice that as living sacrifices we are to be holy and acceptable to God.

In v.2,

1) we are not to be conformed to this world. This means, do not let the world squeeze you into its mold. As believers in Christ we are not to be swayed by the media...things on television or in the movies. Such things are designed to change our point of view to fit more closely to the way the world thinks. But as believers we are not to be like the world.

2) we are to be transformed by the renewing of our minds. This involves a systematic regimen of Bible reading that definitely sets you apart if you are a member of Mustard Seed Fellowship. For if this be the case, you spend more time in the NT epistles than anywhere else; you follow a system of Bible Study that is outlined below.

I read through the Psalms twice in a month; and through the Proverbs twice in a month. By reading five chapters in Psalms 1-75 and five in Psalms 76-150. And also by reading a chapter a day in Proverbs 1-15 and Proverbs 16-30. If in any month there is a 31st of the month, I read Proverbs 31 on that day and skip the Psalms.

In the epistles, I read as following:

Day 1 (for me, this is Sunday)...1-3 John, 1-2 Peter; John 6:35, John 4:13-14, John 7:37-39, John 6:47, John 5:24, John 6:37, John 8:31-36, John 10:27-30, John 11:25-27 (in that order); James, Romans 2:25-the end of chapter 8, Hebrews 10, Jude. (this is not as extensive as you think, you can read it in about 45 minutes to an hour).
Day 2...Romans
Day 3...1 Corinthians
Day 4...2 Corinthians
Day 5...Galatians-Colossians, Revelation 1:17-the end of chapter 3
Day 6...1 Thessalonians-Philemon
Day 7...Hebrews

Then, if I am not tired and want to read more, I read out of the gospels, Acts, and Revelation:

In Matthew, 4 chapters a day
In Mark, 4 chapters a day
In Luke, 4 chapters a day
In John, 3 chapters a day
In Revelation:
day 1:1-5
day 2:6-10
day 3:11-16
day 4:17-22.

Then if I am not tired after reading, I read 1 chapter a day in each of the following sections of the Old Testament:

Genesis-Deuteronomy
Joshua-2 Kings
1 Chronicles-Esther
Job
Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
Isaiah-Daniel
Hosea-Malachi.

I tend to keep Job and Ecclesiastes-Song of Solomon (which together contain 20 chapters) together in number by reading Job 41 and 42 the same day that I read Job 40.

I try to do my best to at least read out of the epistles, and out of the gospels, Acts, and Revelation, on any given day. In this way I finish the epistles four times in a month and through the gospels, Acts, and Revelation about once per month (give or take a few days).

I believe that the Lord would have you sacrifice some of your TV time and do this reading so that you can become rooted and grounded in the word.

We spend our time doing what is important to us.

If your relationship with the Lord is important to you, you will spend much time reading His word and being nourished by it as a true branch in the vine.

If any of this is too much for you, recognize that it is merely a guideline and only one plan of reading through the Bible. If it doesn't work for you, I encourage you to find a plan that does.

3) we are to prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. By not conforming to this world, and by being transformed by the renewing of our minds, we show forth what is the perfect will of God by our actions, in that we are obedient to the Holy Spirit and what He tells us is the will of the Father as we read the holy scriptures.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 12:3, For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith. Rom 12:4, For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office: Rom 12:5, So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. Rom 12:6, Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith; Rom 12:7, Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; Rom 12:8, Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

In v. 3, humility is a key virtue for those who will come to Christ. It is defined as having an accurate perception of yourself. It does not consist of demeaning and disparaging yourself and to think of yourself as being lower than what you really are. It consists of realizing that you are the chief of sinners (in your flesh) but that the real you (the new man) is holy and is the righteousness of the Lord in Christ. You are to think soberly even as God has dealt to you a measure of faith.

In v.4, There is one body of Christ but the singular body has many members. If I am not the hand, I cannot say that I am not of the body because I am not the hand, if I am a member of the body. Different members of the body hold different offices.

In v.5, we are all members of the same body and as such, we are members of each other. Each one of us is a member of the body; we are connected by nerve endings and blood vessels and everything that holds the body together.

In v.6, We all have differing gifts according to the grace that is given to us; some have the gift of prophecy.

Prophecy has to do with fore-telling the future in most people's minds; but it can also be defined as forth-telling the word of God: it does not only have to do with predicting the future; while that is normally an aspect of real prophecy.

In v.7, Others have gifts of ministering or teaching;

This has to do with sharing what the scripture means in its topical, cultural, archaeological, and immediate contexts.

In v.8, Others have gifts of exhortation, giving, governing, or showing mercy to those in need.

Exhortation is encouragement from behind; in the sense of giving someone a kick in the butt to get them going. Those with the gift of giving often also have the gift of having the power to get wealth in order that they might give of their wealth to others. Governing has to do with being a watchman over people's souls. And showing mercy to those in need has to do with things like working in a soup kitchen.

Not everyone operates in every gift. I have said on a few occasions that the Lord has prepared beforehand for us to do certain good works; and that if you do not work in a soup kitchen but that work was not foreordained for you to walk in, you have not committed a sin of omission. It is only when you are led of the Holy Spirit to do something and then don't do it that you are committing a sin of omission. But if God did not tell you to work in a soup kitchen but you have the opportunity, but decide instead to do some other work of righteousness; and that work is what God foreordained for you and what the Holy Spirit was leading you to do, there is no condemnation over having not worked in the soup kitchen.
A passage that comes to mind in all of this is 1 Peter 4:10-11.

1Pe 4:10, As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.
1Pe 4:11, If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

As I minister on these boards, I seek to do so as of the ability that God gives me and when I speak I speak as the oracles of God.

My prayer every night is that every word that comes off of my keyboard might be from the Holy Ghost; that the Lord will speak through me and that He will give me the words to say.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 12:9, Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Rom 12:10, Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; Rom 12:11, Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Rom 12:12, Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Rom 12:13, Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. Rom 12:14, Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. Rom 12:15, Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Rom 12:16, Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. Rom 12:17, Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. Rom 12:18, If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Rom 12:19, Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Rom 12:20, Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Rom 12:21, Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.

In v.9, we are to love people without hypocrisy. We are to hate sin and love righteousness.

In v.10, We are to be kindly affectioned to one another in brotherly love; such as by giving hugs. We are to prefer to be in fellowship with other Christians and we are to honour other believers.

In v.11, We are not to be lazy; and we are to have fervency in our spirit when it comes, especially, to preaching the gospel to those who have not yet heard. We are to serve Jesus Christ with our lives.

In v.12, Our hope is to be in us, causing us to rejoice. We are to be longsuffering in the midst of trials and tribulations. We are to continue in prayer and to be ready to pray for people on a momen's notice.

In v.13, We are to help other believers by giving them what they need. We are to let others into our home as guests and to serve them with our resources.

In v.14, We are to bless those who persecute us (see also Matthew 5:43-48). We are not to curse people.

In v.15, When people are happy, we are to rejoice with them. When they are sad, we are to weep with them.

In v.16, We are to be of the same mind with other believers (see 1 Corinthians 1:10). We are not to mind high things (see Psalms 131:1-3) but to fraternize with lowly people.

In v.17, "An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" is no longer the rule of thumb. We are to be honest in all of our business dealings; as Jesus said it is a commandment to keep that we "Defraud not" (Mark 10:19).

In v.18, We are to live in peace with all other people as much as it depends on us. Jesus said that believers will be hated of all men for His sake. So, sometimes you cannot have a peaceful situation with neighbors or other people. But you can respond to them with kindness instead of retaliation; and in this the following Proverb will be fulfilled in you.
Pro 16:7, When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.

In v.19, God says to not take vengeance yourself on those who do you harm. Trust that God will bring the proper vengeance on them. He is either going to cast them into hell on the final day or else He is going to receive them as sons. And if the latter, He is going to also scourge them (Hebrews 12:6).

In v.20, God tells us to do good to our enemies by feeding them when they are hungry and giving them water when they are thirsty. In doing this, we will "heap burning coals on their head"...that is, we will afflict their conscience by our behaviour.

In v.21, God clearly says that we are not to be overcome of evil but to overcome evil with good. When we do good to those who are our adversaries, we overcome their evil with good because they are going to be afflicted in their conscience and therefore they may one day begin to do what is right and good instead of the evil that they are doing to you now. The goal is salvation for as many as will receive it. Because I don't wish hell and then the lake of fire on my worst enemy.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 13:1, Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Rom 13:2, Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
Rom 13:3, For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
Rom 13:4, For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Rom 13:5, Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
Rom 13:6, For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
Rom 13:7, Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

Coincidence would have it that I am teaching on this passage approximately 3 hours before the verdict of the Derek Chauvin case is revealed (concerning the death of George Floyd). I have chosen to give this teaching before the verdict is revealed because I do not want to be influenced by the verdict and/ or its consequences as to what I am going to say on this subject. I am not going to go verse by verse as I usually do here but I have decided to preach on what these verses mean in light of the Derek Chauvin case.

First of all, what I think the verdict should be. I am not going to say exactly what the verdict should be because I did not watch the proceedings. But I will say that if Chauvin did not hate George Floyd beforehand, that a conviction of murder will be unjust.

This is the biblical understanding.

In Israel justice concerning a murder would be handled by the family of the one murdered, termed "the avenger of blood" going and executing justice on the murderer. They would legally have the right to kill the murderer without repercussion because the person being killed was a murderer.

An exception was made in the case where the killer did not hate the one who was killed beforehand. It is written,

Jos 20:5, Then if the avenger of blood pursues him, they shall not deliver the slayer into his hand, because he struck his neighbor unintentionally, but did not hate him beforehand.

This is as concerning manslaughter; which the Bible says has to do with a case where, for example, a person is swinging an axe and the axe head flies off and kills the person. The person who has committed manslaughter must flee to a city of refuge where he will dwell until the death of the high priest. If he leaves the city of refuge before the death of the high priest, then he is fair game for the avenger of blood to kill him in revenge. Once the high priest dies, the one who has committed manslaughter has the right to live in any city; and the avenger of blood no longer has the legal right to kill him any longer outside the city of refuge.

These are principles that we can apply to our handling of this case.

In the New Testament, we are no longer bound by the letter of the law but we are to be obedient to the spirit of what is written. We ought to apply the punishment of Derek Chauvin according to these principles; and whatever happens, if things do not pan out according to these principles, the outcome is unjust.

Now in verse 4 of this passage it says that the authorities do not bear the sword in vain and in verse 7 it says that we ought to fear them. So, it should be clear that whatever happens with the Chauvin case, it is not a good idea to resist the authorities. For in verse 2, we find that those who resist shall receive damnation. I think that this may be true whether they die physically from the encounter or not. While it is possible that the damnation spoken of is not eternal; but rather may be speaking of the fact that the authorities bear the sword and that therefore if you resist them, you just might be killed.

Now I will say that with the exception of the case in history yet future where the Antichrist will bear rule, the government is on the shoulders of Jesus Christ (Isaiah 9:6-7); and therefore riots and looting and things of that sort are sins against Him, since they are sins against the government that He bears on His shoulders.

This is clear from verse 1, where we find the reality that those who are in authority are there by the ordinance of God.

Please note that I am expounding on the teaching of holy scripture here and that I am making my statements based on the teaching of holy scripture.

Please note also that this is my current place of teaching as I have been teaching through the epistle of Paul to the Romans; and that I did not dredge up this scripture in particular in order to give my opinion. If I were not in this place in holy scripture currently in my teaching, I very likely would not have commented on this issue.

Last edited: