Communion - Lord's Supper - Eucharist

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I hope one can understand how creepy that Ignatius fellow sounds there? "...for drink I crave His Blood..." :eek:.
no kidding. wonder what Ignatius even means...
"
From the Roman family name Egnatius, meaning unknown, of Etruscan origin. The spelling was later altered to resemble Latin ignis "fire".
" ya i'll pass ty

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no kidding. wonder what Ignatius even means...
"
From the Roman family name Egnatius, meaning unknown, of Etruscan origin. The spelling was later altered to resemble Latin ignis "fire".
" ya i'll pass ty
This MIGHT be the most asinine thing you've ever posted here - but I'm probably wrong about that . . .

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The text above in RED from Paul's 1st Letter to the Corinthians seems a bit harsh for something that is merely a "symbol" - don't you think?

1 Corinthians 11:23-29
The Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, 'This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.' In the same way also the cup saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.' For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats or drinks without discerning the body, eats and drinks judgment upon himself."

So if you do this for more than in remembrance of Him which is what Catholic Church does, then that is profaning the body & blood of the Lord and doing so in an unworthy manner.

The plain fact of the matter is that the Real Presence is something that was taught and believed in from the very beginning of the Church. ALL of the Early Church Father UNANIMOUSLY believed in and taught this truth. There was not ONE single exception in the Early Church. In fact - the first time we read about people rejecting this truth is AFTER the Protestant Revolt in the 16th century. WHY is that??

Not in the N.T. , it doesn't teach that. Indeed, any one confessing to Jesus being here or there, we are not to believe it. In according to the examination of our faith, Jesus Christ is in us 2 Corinthians 13:5; therefore there is no point in receiving Him again by way of communion, indeed, we are warned against such thinking;

2 Corinthians 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.4 For if he that cometh preacheth another Jesus, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive another spirit, which ye have not received, or another gospel, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him.

The Catholic Church is supposed to have a final say on all scripture but they can never address how some scripture opposes what they actually teach apart from scripture. Needless to say, when what they teach does not line up with scripture, then obviously, they are misapplying as well as misreading the scripture in teaching what they do about communion being more than just doing it in remembrance of Him.

Why don't we read about these Protestant objections for 1600 years??

A little leaven leavens a whole lump. Protestant fail to recognize that there is no scriptural support for worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son as introduced in the modified Nicene creed when scriptures cites how God the Father wants us to honor Him by, by only honoring the Son ( John 5:22-23 ) as that is where the glory of God rests upon John 13:31-32 as God can only be glorified by exalting His Son in worship ( Philippians 2:5-13 )

did the Romans accuse the Early Christians of "cannibalism"??

Cannot speak to their point of view. Maybe they came across some early believers ( pre Catholics ) that made up Catholicism in what it is today? Did you know that the founder of Islam came across a christian cult devoted to Mary and they believed that Mary was part of the Trinity, leaving out the Holy Spirit?

Why did men like Ignatius of Antioch, who was a student of the Apostle John write that the Eucharist was the SAME flesh and blood that died for our sins and was raised from the dead (Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2-7:1 [A.D. 110]??

Being a student of apostle John cannot be confirmed when John has not confirmed him at all. Indeed, by all points of Ignatius's writings, he had to have been flunked by the apostle John because John's writings do not supper Ignatius's writings at all.

In the Bread of Life Discourse in John 6 - Jesus explains that we must EAT His flesh and DRINK His blood.
Interestingly enough - the Greek word used here for "eat" is NOT the usual word for human eating (Phagon). No - the word used here describes the way an animal rips apart his food (Trogon). This is hyperbole used to drive home an important point.

IF you are going to apply John 6th chapter as being about communion and not about how we are saved, then how do you apply John 6:35 when He promised that once we come to & believed in Him, we would never hunger nor thirst? To apply John 6th chapter to be about communion, then you need only eat and drink communion once, otherwise, every time you take it, you are denying the promise that you would never hunger nor thirst for it again. Since His words are not contradictory, then John 6th chapter is not about communion, but about salvation in how one receives the bread of life, by coming to and believing in Him. Jesus said that but the Jews did not hear Him nor did many of His disciples, but of the 11 of the 12, did believe.

After most of the crowd leaves Him in John 6:66 - WHY didn't He explain to the Apostles in John 6:67 that He was just speaking "figuratively"?? Instead, He turns to them and asks "Do you ALSO want to leave?"

In Mark 4:33-34, we read:
With many similar parables Jesus spoke the word to them, as much as they could understand. He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples, he explained everything.

Tell me - WHY didn't Jesus tell the Apostles that He was only speaking "figuratively" in John 6 if the passage above says He explained "EVERYTHING" to His inner circle??

I eagerly await your well-researched response.

So.. why didn't Jesus say to the remaining twelve, "Then why are you not eating my body and drinking my blood? Get to it if you really believe my words!"

I understand Jesus was using hyperbole since He was not really saying for them to eat Him nor drink His blood, seeing how they did not do what He said if that is what you are claiming.

John 6th chapter is about salvation; not about communion in how one receives the bread of life ( salvation ) by coming to & believing in Him.

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work? 31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat. 32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. 36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

They were not believing in Him in how to receive that bread of life. Their minds were stuck in eating manna as their fathers did.

Jesus clarified again that it was not about eating.

John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

So eating that bread, they live forever; not by eating it again and again and again, but by coming to and believing in Him

I cannot convince you at all. No amount of research or study will reveal the truth in His words when it is all on Him. When you do see the truth in His words, be sure to thank Him. I didn't do it.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So if you do this for more than in remembrance of Him which is what Catholic Church does, then that is profaning the body & blood of the Lord and doing so in an unworthy manner.
That's NOT what Paul was writing about when he said they were "profaning" the Body and Blood of Christ.
He was a talking about the factions that were arising in that congregation, the failure to include everybody and the fact that some were DRUNK during the Lord's Supper.

And remember - he said they were profaning the BODY & BLOOD of Christ - not the bread and wine.
Not in the N.T. , it doesn't teach that. Indeed, any one confessing to Jesus being here or there, we are not to believe it. In according to the examination of our faith, Jesus Christ is in us 2 Corinthians 13:5; therefore there is no point in receiving Him again by way of communion, indeed, we are warned against such thinking;

The Catholic Church is supposed to have a final say on all scripture but they can never address how some scripture opposes what they actually teach apart from scripture. Needless to say, when what they teach does not line up with scripture, then obviously, they are misapplying as well as misreading the scripture in teaching what they do about communion being more than just doing it in remembrance of Him.
First of all - this is NOT what 2 Cor. 11:3 is about.
It is about a different GOSPEL message.

Secondly - Communion IS about remembrance of Him.
As for the bible NOT teaching the Real Presence - YOU need to explain why Jesus told His Apostles:
"This IS my body"
and "This IS my blood", instead of, "This is merely a "SYMBOL" of my body and blood."

Remember - Mark 4:34 tells us that Jesus explained EVERYTHING to His Apostles when he taught figuratively.
A little leaven leavens a whole lump. Protestant fail to recognize that there is no scriptural support for worshipping the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son as introduced in the modified Nicene creed when scriptures cites how God the Father wants us to honor Him by, by only honoring the Son ( John 5:22-23 ) as that is where the glory of God rests upon John 13:31-32 as God can only be glorified by exalting His Son in worship ( Philippians 2:5-13 )
The fact that you are saying that we are NOT to worship the Holy Spirit speaks VOLUMES about your heresy and ignorance of the Scriptures. The Holy Spirit is GOD (Luke 12:10, Acts 5:3-4)
Cannot speak to their point of view. Maybe they came across some early believers ( pre Catholics ) that made up Catholicism in what it is today? Did you know that the founder of Islam came across a christian cult devoted to Mary and they believed that Mary was part of the Trinity, leaving out the Holy Spirit?

No - these were the earliest Christians in the FIRST century. Unless you are willing to accept that the Catholic Church has been here from the 1st century - you have some 'splainin' to do . . .
Being a student of apostle John cannot be confirmed when John has not confirmed him at all. Indeed, by all points of Ignatius's writings, he had to have been flunked by the apostle John because John's writings do not supper Ignatius's writings at all.
So - you won't accept Catholic Tradition regarding Ignatius - yet you WILL accept the Church's Authority in declaring the Canon of Scripture??
Does ANYBODY other than me see the gigantic HYPOCRISY here??
IF you are going to apply John 6th chapter as being about communion and not about how we are saved, then how do you apply John 6:35 when He promised that once we come to & believed in Him, we would never hunger nor thirst? To apply John 6th chapter to be about communion, then you need only eat and drink communion once, otherwise, every time you take it, you are denying the promise that you would never hunger nor thirst for it again. Since His words are not contradictory, then John 6th chapter is not about communion, but about salvation in how one receives the bread of life, by coming to and believing in Him. Jesus said that but the Jews did not hear Him nor did many of His disciples, but of the 11 of the 12, did believe.
WRONG - because Jesus differentiates eating His flesh and salvation in John 6.
John 6:53-56
Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

He is stating that UNLESS you eat His flesh and Drink his Blood you will NOT be saved (eternal life).
So.. why didn't Jesus say to the remaining twelve, "Then why are you not eating my body and drinking my blood? Get to it if you really believe my words!"

I understand Jesus was using hyperbole since He was not really saying for them to eat Him nor drink His blood, seeing how they did not do what He said if that is what you are claiming.

John 6th chapter is about salvation; not about communion in how one receives the bread of life ( salvation ) by coming to & believing in Him.

John 6:30 They said therefore unto him, What sign shewest thou then, that we may see, and believe thee? what dost thou work? 31 Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat. 32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. 33 For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. 34 Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. 35 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. 36 But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not.

They were not believing in Him in how to receive that bread of life. Their minds were stuck in eating manna as their fathers did.

Jesus clarified again that it was not about eating.

John 6:57 As the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.58 This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

So eating that bread, they live forever; not by eating it again and again and again, but by coming to and believing in Him

I cannot convince you at all. No amount of research or study will reveal the truth in His words when it is all on Him. When you do see the truth in His words, be sure to thank Him. I didn't do it.
Because the apostles had NOT yet been shown HOW to eat His flesh and drink His blood. He showed them how to do this at the Last Supper.

ALL He required from them in verse 67 was their FAITH in what He was telling them - something that YOU lack . . ..

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
if you have a diff ety of "Egnatius" i am open to reading it btw
I said that your post was asinine because the etymology of Ignatius's name has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether he was speaking truth.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I said that your post was asinine because the etymology of Ignatius's name has absolutely NOTHING to do with whether he was speaking truth.
granted, possibly; but that he chose a Roman appellation def describes his perspective i guess.
We still call them "vampires" today even, the 1% iow

not to make too big a deal here ok, but anyone that needs "Saint" put before their name gives me the willies anyway. I'm a saint, you don't hear me demanding anyone call me Saint Mark.
You listen to what you like; i'll pass on the Vampire Saints, ty

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
anyone that needs "Saint" put before their name
and just to be clear for all i know "Ignatius" of Antioch might have been aghast that any "established" church would take it upon themselves to independently Saintify him, in direct contradiction of Scripture; but i doubt it

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the apostles had NOT yet been shown HOW to eat His flesh and drink His blood. He showed them how to do this at the Last Supper.

I disagree with you since you cannot apply John 6:35 to your application thus proving you are not applying His words rightly.

ALL He required from them in verse 67 was their FAITH in what He was telling them - something that YOU lack . . ..

Nope. That was not what was required in receiving the bread of life. He told you this in John 6:35 but like the unbelieving Jews, you are not hearing Him, but unlike the believing Jews, you do believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and that God had raised Him from the dead, but like the unbelieving Jews, you do not believe you are saved yet.... even though in according to His words, you are saved.

That is the faith you lack in Jesus Christ as your Saviour.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
granted, possibly; but that he chose a Roman appellation def describes his perspective i guess.
We still call them "vampires" today even, the 1% iow

not to make too big a deal here ok, but anyone that needs "Saint" put before their name gives me the willies anyway. I'm a saint, you don't hear me demanding anyone call me Saint Mark.
You listen to what you like; i'll pass on the Vampire Saints, ty
Ummmmmm, first of all - Ignatius's parents chose his name.
How many people do YOU know that named themselves??

Secondly - Ignatius didn't put "Saint" before his name.
The Church did that AFTER his death. Congratulations on the big word, though (appellation).

Are you really this dense - or is it just an act??

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I disagree with you since you cannot apply John 6:35 to your application thus proving you are not applying His words rightly.
The mere fact that the Apostles didn't start chewing on Jesus's flesh right then and there is proof that they had to WAIT for Him to show them HOW to consume His flesh . . .
Nope. That was not what was required in receiving the bread of life. He told you this in John 6:35 but like the unbelieving Jews, you are not hearing Him, but unlike the believing Jews, you do believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and that God had raised Him from the dead, but like the unbelieving Jews, you do not believe you are saved yet.... even though in according to His words, you are saved.

That is the faith you lack in Jesus Christ as your Saviour.
John 6:35, Jesus begins to tell them that He is the Bread of Life.
It's not until a few verses later that He gets explicit about what they have to do . . .
John 6:53-56
Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Manand drink his blood, you do not have life within you.
Whoever eats my flesh (trogon) and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day.
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.
Whoever eats my flesh (trogon) and drinks my blood remains in me and I in him.
Just as the living Father sent me and I have life because of the Father, so also the one who feeds on me will have life because of me.

Just as the Passover Lamb was to be eaten - so is our Paschal Lamb to be consumed. At the Last Supper - He shows them HOW to do it.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

Wow, just wow to your whole post...

As for Ignatius and John not being in agreement... The Bishop of Smyrna (that would be Polycarp) disagrees with you :
. The Epistles of Ignatius written by him to us, and all the rest [of his Epistles] which we have by us, we have sent to you, as you requested. They are subjoined to this Epistle, and by them you may be greatly profited; for they treat of faith and patience, and all things that tend to edification in our Lord

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
IF you are going to apply John 6th chapter as being about communion and not about how we are saved, then how do you apply John 6:35 when He promised that once we come to & believed in Him, we would never hunger nor thirst? To apply John 6th chapter to be about communion, then you need only eat and drink communion

In fact, the Church only mandates that we receive the Eucharist once per year (although daily is encouraged!)

Further, i would add that while a marriage only needs to be consumated ONCE,
that would be a cold marriage indeed whos bride never again united herself completely with her Groom.

Peace!

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unless the apostle John had written his approval for Ignatius, Polycarp's word is invalid.

So examine the epistles of Ignatius with the epistles of John to see if they are really in an agreement.

In Ignatius epistle to the Ephesians, I see error. In chapter 6, he writes "Now the more any one sees the bishop keeping silence, the more ought he to revere him. For we ought to receive every one whom the Master of the house sends to be over His household, Matthew 24:45 as we would do Him that sent him. It is manifest, therefore, that we should look upon the bishop even as we would upon the Lord Himself."

That is practically an excuse to send in unlearned men claiming them to be bishops when in fact they are just collectors for the church at Rome. No one is edified by silence. This is a crafty deceit that begins the use of replacements for Christ Himself in having rulers or masters over the church.

Antichrist as used in 1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time. 19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us." is referring to those that take the place of Christ Himself; antichrist as defined by His words mean "instead of Christ" as in " instead of the Son of God, the Lord Jesus Christ."

Christ is the head of every believer; not that bishop. So I believe I understood what Ignatius is saying here and John is not in agreement with him. In fact, he could be writing about Ignatius as having gone out from him as no longer of John since Ignatius is creating antichrists by his writings.

Chapter 15 in Ignatius epistle to the Ephesians has him exhorting silence in being a christian. Indeed, the exhortation in the 2nd chapter has him using 1 Corinthians 1:10 as applying to be subjected to bishop and the presbytery ( an overhead authority outside the local church which is what the doctrine of the Nicolaitanes is about that God hates. ) The very same bishop whom is to be revered for his silence as a confession of Christ.

So right off the bat, in Ignatius's epistles to the Ephesians, Ignatius has turned a bishop leading by example in managing the house of God by silence.

Pope Clement 1 had written to the Corinthians about their jealousy in refusing to give a portion of their collection to their collecting agents to give to the church at Rome.

I can see how Ignatius's epistles has taken off for that to happen as all Catholic churches are to be submissive to the Church at Rome; and yes, another streamline Eastern Orthodox Catholic Church decided in horn in on the covetous practice of the church at Rome.

Would it be unfair to ask what charity means in the Catholic catechism on page 222 ?

"837 "Fully incorporated into the society of the Church are those who, possessing the Spirit of Christ, accept all the means of salvation given to the Church together with her entire organization, and who - by the bonds constituted by the profession of faith, the sacraments, ecclesiastical government, and communion - are joined in the visible structure of the Church of Christ, who rules her through the Supreme Pontiff and the bishops. Even though incorporated into the Church, one who does not however persevere in charity is not saved. He remains indeed in the bosom of the Church, but 'in body' not 'in heart.'"

Is charity referring to love or to giving to the Church? Who in authority would tell you the original intent for what charity was being used for here?

If both, how can that not be seen as exploitation in the spirit of covetousness in keeping members & churches in the Church in order to obtain the means of salvation?

So no. I do not believe the apostle John would be in agreement with Ignatius as per Ignatius's epistle to the Ephesians.

Link to Ignatius's epistle to the Ephesians below for you to see for yourself:

CHURCH FATHERS: Epistle to the Ephesians (St. Ignatius)

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Unless the apostle John had written his approval for Ignatius, Polycarp's word is invalid.

Does John passing on Jesus' approval of Smyrna count? Does for me...

Jesus commends Smyrna... Smyrna commends Antioch....

Why then would i accept your words that contradict theirs?

You are following traditions of men... Whether your own or some other who decided he knew better than the apostles...

I'lll stick with them.

Peace!

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Ummmmmm, first of all - Ignatius's parents chose his name.
How many people do YOU know that named themselves??
most likely they did not, and Ignatius chose his own name as an honorific, or was even possibly deemed "Ignatius," both of these were common Roman practices i guess? And i did make clear that i have no objection if Catholics want to worship him too right
Secondly - Ignatius didn't put "Saint" before his name.
unfortunately you don't know that either, there was a lot of that going on too, but again that does not mean it was evil or even misdirected; i am a saint, and Ignatius of Antioch might have only been doing the same thing.
The Church did that AFTER his death.
i guess officially, yes, but that would be completely irrelevant to God anyway. Imo Ignatius is likely a great Catholic Strongman, ok, and fwiw imo a bloodsucker like you needs someone to look up to anyway, being as how you have so obviously been denied Christ, no offense
Congratulations on the big word, though (appellation).
thanks! we grownups use words like that bc they indicate action or intent, and Ignatius is almost surely an "appellation," meaning his parents almost surely didn't give him that name. Same thing the popes do? Like an honorific or whatever?
Are you really this dense - or is it just an act??
man, you are superglued into that throne huh bro. I wish you the best, plenty of Catholics manifesting works meet for repentance right now, no reason you can't join them bro. God loves you too

Last edited:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
most likely they did not, and Ignatius chose his own name as an honorific, or was even possibly deemed "Ignatius," both of these were common Roman practices i guess? And i did make clear that i have no objection if Catholics want to worship him too right
Hmmmmmm - first of all - the Catholic Church has a BIG problem with people worshiping ANYBODY other than God.

Secondly - how do YOU know that Ignatius named himself?? You got some proof for that??
No?? Then maybe you shouldn't open your mouth about it.

Here's a little advice for you: Do some research BEFORE you respond next time.
I used to feel bad about humiliating you in public - but you bring it upon yourself . . .
unfortunately you don't know that either, there was a lot of that going on too, but again that does not mean it was evil or even misdirected; i am a saint, and Ignatius of Antioch might have only been doing the same thing.
AGAIN - if you don't have proof - then don't open your mouth.

However - I'm not going to let you simply get away with it this time.
Give me DOCUMENTED EVIDENCE of a saint giving himself the title of "Saint".
i guess officially, yes, but that would be completely irrelevant to God anyway. Imo Ignatius is likely a great Catholic Strongman, ok, and fwiw imo a bloodsucker like you needs someone to look up to anyway, being as how you have so obviously been denied Christ, no offense
Hey - thanks for at least admitting that Ignatius was a Catholic and NOT using that ridiculous story about Constantine having started the Catholic Church . . .

As for your insult - no offense taken. As Paul wrote:
1 Cor 4:3
I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself.
thanks! we grownups use words like that bc they indicate action or intent, and Ignatius is almost surely an "appellation," meaning his parents almost surely didn't give him that name. Same thing the popes do? Like an honorific or whatever?
That's great.
As soon as you can show me some documented evidence for this claim - I will consider you a "grown up" - instead of just another angry little anti-Catholic . . .
man, you are superglued into that throne huh bro. I wish you the best, plenty of Catholics manifesting works meet for repentance right now, no reason you can't join them bro. God loves you too
I guess that means the answer to my question was "Yes" . . .

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does John passing on Jesus' approval of Smyrna count? Does for me...

Jesus commends Smyrna... Smyrna commends Antioch....

Why then would i accept your words that contradict theirs?

You are following traditions of men... Whether your own or some other who decided he knew better than the apostles...

I'lll stick with them.

Peace!

Point is.. Ignatius's epistles do not line up with John's epistles and thus they are not in agreement.

So for any one else to commend Ignatius as a student of John as if they are in agreement is invalid when their epistles do not come in agreement.

Only the apostle John can commend Ignatius as being one of his students and being in agreement with him. As it is, John's epistles are not in agreement with Ignatius's epistles. AND...

John's epistles are scripture whereas Ignatius's epistles are not for why it is not in the accepted books of the Bible. The way Ignatius writes and what he writes about do not line up with the accepted scripture of the N.T. Neither does the Catholic catechism lines up with the accepted scripture of the N.N. Bible. It is all the extras not mentioned plainly in scripture that opposes scripture that should be discerned by each believer as not what the apostles nor Jesus had really taught.