Concussions and head injuries

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not looking for medical advice, but sharing something that happened to me.

In late 2004, I fell on the icy pavement at the church I once attended.

Some men of the church helped me to my feet (I think?) and walked me inside the church building.
They put me in one of their dorm rooms on a bed and left me while church service was going on. I could have died. I was in terrible pain, and fell asleep.

They never took me to a doctor. And no one came and checked on me for 2 or 3 hours. They (including my husband) even left me there while they ate their potluck.

The back of my head hit the pavement. My skull was flattened at the point of impact, but I had a large lump on my forehead (which didn't hit the pavement). A ridge arose from the point of impact on back of my skull, to my forehead where the lump was. From what I have gathered, the lump on my forehead was from the impact of my brain jostling against the inside of my skull when my head it the pavement.

I was still expected to work ("volunteer") in the church parochial school and by working, my kids' tuition was reduced by about $15 each per month.

That pain didn't heal for over a year ...and the ridge stayed until my chiropractor fixed it about a year ago. I don't have the ridge anymore where the bones in my skull overlapped after the brain swelling went away.

I know this is an odd post, but I was wondering if any other members have ever experienced severe head injuries or concussions. I have had several, tbh. But this one was the most severe.

If you could have gone to the Doctor, you should have. I've been knocked out and had my bell rung several times playing football. There have been instances whereI didn't recover for several days....Had to watch film a couple of times to realize what had happened.

My wife has problems with low blood sugar and blood pressure. She fell and I watched the back of her head bounce off the concrete. I talked into to going to the doctor. Told both of them "She can't pass the concussion protocol, test her".......She failed four times, three while she was in the hospital. When she recovered she asked ...."How did you know?" "Easy, been there, done that." We discovered she had a mild stroke in the process ....On her way to a full recovery. I keep telling her, I'm going to find an old football helmet at a garage sale.

Reactions: TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you could have gone to the Doctor, you should have.
I didn't have a choice. My husband and pastor, deacons, etc took me inside a dorm room and laid me on a bed and left me there for 4+ hours. Back then, I followed orders ....it took a year or more for my head to feel okay. It wasn't till about 3 years ago at my current chiropractor that she adjusted the plates on my skull and my head was finally a normal shape again. (You couldn't tell by looking at me, but my head was misshapen. I could feel it. And my chiro confirmed it.)

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't have a choice. My husband and pastor, deacons, etc took me inside a dorm room and laid me on a bed and left me there for 4+ hours. Back then, I followed orders ....it took a year or more for my head to feel okay. It wasn't till about 3 years ago at my current chiropractor that she adjusted the plates on my skull and my head was finally a normal shape again. (You couldn't tell by looking at me, but my head was misshapen. I could feel it. And my chiro confirmed it.)

Most people think all you have to do is wait a few hours or days and the results go away. Hitting just right can cause severe damage and even death. I shrugged it off when my wife hit her head, but insisted she go see the Doctor and the Doctor understand my concern.

The good of this .....you eventually went to a doctor and things will be better now. Prayers. ..

Reactions: Lambano and TLHKAJ

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The good of this .....you eventually went to a doctor and things will be better now. Prayers. ..
It was 15 years later that I went to a doctor (my current chiropractor). I didn't know she could fix the skull issue.

I didn't see a chiropractor for all those years bc when we were in that same church group years ago, their "chiropractor" did an adjustment on me that left me in a lot of pain. Several years later, that same chiropractor set my foot that I broke after I twisted my ankle in a pothole on church grounds. I've had problems with that foot and ankle to this day. (My current chiropractor did some work on it last week, even.)

bluedragon

Aug 7, 2021
Birmingham, Al
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realized the problem because I could see and hear gaps in her speech and actions. So I pressured her to make the appointment. If I had never been injured that way and never officiated football for 25 years ....I think I would have missed it and simply ignored the issue.

I think the best thing to do overall is always to er on the side of caution.

Thrilled to know you have gotten better .....

thelord's_pearl

May 1, 2021
O`nowhere you have to know
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I had a head injury. I fainted at school in physEd class for not eating breakfast and was standing and then fell, hit my head on the ground and got one spot swollen and soft, but checked in the x-ray that my brain was fine and it healed after time. So sorry you injured your head. Glad you're fine now.