Constantine I

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

cooolway

Nov 6, 2007
hi,I am trying to figure out whether Constantine I was a true Christian (did not believe in trinity) or not. I just saw his biography on him. He was always quoted as saying "one true God" but not specifically not "Jesus is God" or anything related to that. Do you Christians have any quotes that Constantine I said something along the lines of "Christ is son of God" or "Christ is God" etc...?Thanks
smile.gif

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
I found this... it seems that historians believed he professed a faith in Christ... Scholars debate whether Constantine adopted his mother St. Helena's Christianity in his youth, or whether he adopted it gradually over the course of his life.[20] Constantine was over 40 when he finally declared himself a Christian.[21] Writing to Christians, Constantine made clear that he believed he owed his successes to the protection of the Christian High God alone.[22] Throughout his rule, Constantine supported the Church financially, built various basilicas, granted privileges (e.g. exemption from certain taxes) to clergy, promoted Christians to high ranking offices, and returned property confiscated during the Great Persecution of Diocletian.[23] His most famous building projects include the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and Old Saint Peter's Basilica.The reign of Constantine established a precedent for the position of the Christian Emperor in the Church; Constantine considered himself responsible to God for the spiritual health of his subjects, and thus he had a duty to maintain orthodoxy.[24] For Constantine, the emperor did not decide doctrine - that was the responsibility of the bishops - rather his role was to enforce doctrine, root out heresy, and uphold ecclesiastical unity.[25] The emperor ensured that God was properly worshipped in his empire; what proper worship consisted of was for the Church to determine.[26]^ R. Gerberding and J. H. Moran Cruz, Medieval Worlds (New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004) p. 55 ^ Peter Brown, The Rise of Christendom 2nd edition (Oxford, Blackwell Publishing, 2003) p. 61 ^ R. Gerberding and J. H. Moran Cruz, Medieval Worlds (New York: Houghton Mifflin Company, 2004) pp. 55-56

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.John 5:23 - That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.John 10:30 - I and my Father are one.John 14:9 - Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?I John 5:7 - For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.Isaiah 7:14 - Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. Emmanuel (God with us) (Matthew 1:23)Isaiah 9:6 - For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.Jag

cooolway

Nov 6, 2007
Thanks for the info, Peacebewithyoubut is there any quotes from Constantine I that says that Jesus is the Son of God or Jesus is God?Muslims believe that true Christians went to heaven who believed that God is one and only one with no son and family ties.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(cooolway;23077)
Thanks for the info, Peacebewithyoubut is there any quotes from Constantine I that says that Jesus is the Son of God or Jesus is God?Muslims believe that true Christians went to heaven who believed that God is one and only one with no son and family ties.
I think if a person were to believe what you've stated "God is one and only one with no Son" he would NOT be a Christian. All true Chrisitans believe in the Trinity - Father, Son, Holy Spirit - three in One. If Constintine considered himself a Christian (as historians claim) he believed in the Trinity. According to the information I posted, he took it upon himself to stamp out heresy and it would've most certainly been a heresy to say that Jesus was not fully God / fully man.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(cooolway;23112)
Do you believe that Ebionites are not Christians?
I'm was not familar with them, however, a quick search revealed that the Early Church Fathers identified them as a heretics since they denied the Divinity of Christ, His pre-existance, the virgin birth, His atoning death & His physical resurrection. They believed that Jesus was the biological son of Mary & Joseph who was chosen by God to be the messianic prophet like Moses. According to my search, they lived mainly from the 1st to the 4th centuries. They were just one of the many heretical sects with outlandish beliefs floating around at that time. I thank for the Church Fathers who, by the power of the Holy Spirit, kept the Church free from error.I also found this interesting: Some scholars argue that they contributed to the development of the Islamic view of Jesus due to exchanges of Ebionite remnants with the first Muslims. When heretics share their view of Jesus, it's obviously not a good thing.

cooolway

Nov 6, 2007
Oh man......They were the true followers of Christ, Jesus never said he was God/ son of God. Read the Dan Brown book.

Peacebewithyou

Nov 6, 2007
(cooolway;23324)
Oh man......They were the true followers of Christ, Jesus never said he was God/ son of God. Read the Dan Brown book.
Well, and that's where we're going to have to disagree friend. I do believe that Jesus was God - as He claimed.Dan Brown is, in my humble opinion for what it's worth, an idiot.

yaqub

Sep 7, 2007
Peace be with you,(cooolway;23324)
Oh man......They were the true followers of Christ, Jesus never said he was God/ son of God.
The Qur'an says:"O ye who believe! Be ye helpers of God: As said Jesus the son of Mary to the Disciples, "Who will be my helpers to (the work of) God?" Said the disciples, "We are God's helpers!" then a portion of the Children of Israel believed, and a portion disbelieved: But We gave power to those who believed, against their enemies, and they became the ones that prevailed." (Surah 61:14)If the Ebionates were the true believers (after the disciples of Christ), then Muslims have a major problem. According to the Qur'an, the true believers prevailed (or became uppermost according to Pickthall's translation). But of course, we know that Trinitarian Christians were the ones that prevailed. The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God." "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." (Matthew 26:63-64).Don't believe what your Imams are teaching you. Search for yourself.
Read the Dan Brown book.
Nothing interesting, really.

Ricky W

Jun 6, 2007
A'udzubillaahiminasysyaithonirrojiimBismillaahirrohmaanirrohiim("yaqub")
The Qur'an says:"O ye who believe! Be ye helpers of God: As said Jesus the son of Mary to the Disciples, "Who will be my helpers to (the work of) God?" Said the disciples, "We are God's helpers!" then a portion of the Children of Israel believed, and a portion disbelieved: But We gave power to those who believed, against their enemies, and they became the ones that prevailed." (Surah 61:14)
I wonder, what is your understanding by bringing this verse as a response from cooolway statement ?
smile.gif
.Wallahu a'lam.