Controlling Dreams

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

CuriousGeorge

Nov 23, 2007
Ok, so I've always been able to easily remember my dreams, and I've had Lucid dreams since I was a kid. I would notice something unusual in the dream and become aware of the fact I was dreaming. Once this happened the quality of the dream would change, it would become more stable. It would suddenly become incredibly detailed and life-like- I'm talking indistinguishable from normal reality. I could feel the warmth of the breeze, see specks of dirt on the ground. All my senses were fully aware and engaged in my environment. I felt a sense of power, awe, and ecstasy at having no limitations to what I could do and control. I could leap into the air and fly at incredible speeds past buildings and skyscrapers, make anyone I wanted appear, I could walk through walls, drive any car I wanted; I could do anything and go anywhere I could conceive.Now I didn't always have complete control like this- if I got too caught up in something I was doing and let my mind wonder, the dream environment would become translucent and fade away or start changing and often I would slip back into a normal dream without even knowing it. But the point is, I was able to experience this at times and it actually helped me overcome nightmares and phobias in my later years- it helped me in my waking life as well.I later learned that I could actually induce these types of dreams at will. I found out they were called Lucid dreams and that there were other people who had them. There are even techniques that anyone can learn that allow one to have these types of dreams with enough motivation and practice. It seems to be a natural human ability.Now, when I think about the implications for Christians having these dreams I wonder how you correlate them within a Christian way of living? What I mean is, why would God give us this incredible inherent ability, this natural power, if he knew how tempting it would be to sin within a Lucid dream? I personally didn't indulge in much sex (I liked flying much better) but I know how human nature is. On the positive side it's almost like we've inherited some of his creative power but that it lies untapped within most people. The implications are astounding and make me wonder what the limits of human potential are and how they relate to your beliefs.

Learning

Dec 12, 2007
Hi again! I am no expert and there are many here that may not think as I do. They maybe able to help you better than I can. Have heard of Lucid dreaming and they describe it exactly as you do. My thought is that God has given us free will to do many things; however, that does not mean we should do them. Those actions that make us feel like we have power over others or have power such as God's, to me, will lead us down a path away from Him and should be avoided.

followerofchrist

Nov 22, 2007
I have never heard of Lucid dreaming, but I agree with Learning. If something gives you the dillusion that you have Gods power than you need to immediately change the way your thinking or just stop whatever causes you to think that way because that feeling is just a dillusion and will only lead down bad roads!

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
I can somewhat relate as I have simular type dreams but I didnt know you could cause them? But I have never been able to control what I do nor would I ever try to.I dont think we are meant to do so. What I do is repent and pray every night before I go to sleep I just oserve myself in these dreams I can ask questions somtimes.Or sometimes I am told what I am seeing. But that is why we must use great discernment if its not in line with scripture its not from God. The spirit while in this lucid dream state is as much as a part of us as when we are awake If you can control what you do why would you think it ok to sin in this stateanymore than when one is awake??? It is my believe that if God has something to say to us in a dream we shouldbe listening same as when we are awake.Not seeing if we can sin and get away with it.

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
(CuriousGeorge;30231)
Ok, so I've always been able to easily remember my dreams, and I've had Lucid dreams since I was a kid. I would notice something unusual in the dream and become aware of the fact I was dreaming. Once this happened the quality of the dream would change, it would become more stable. It would suddenly become incredibly detailed and life-like- I'm talking indistinguishable from normal reality. I could feel the warmth of the breeze, see specks of dirt on the ground. All my senses were fully aware and engaged in my environment. I felt a sense of power, awe, and ecstasy at having no limitations to what I could do and control. I could leap into the air and fly at incredible speeds past buildings and skyscrapers, make anyone I wanted appear, I could walk through walls, drive any car I wanted; I could do anything and go anywhere I could conceive.Now I didn't always have complete control like this- if I got too caught up in something I was doing and let my mind wonder, the dream environment would become translucent and fade away or start changing and often I would slip back into a normal dream without even knowing it. But the point is, I was able to experience this at times and it actually helped me overcome nightmares and phobias in my later years- it helped me in my waking life as well.I later learned that I could actually induce these types of dreams at will. I found out they were called Lucid dreams and that there were other people who had them. There are even techniques that anyone can learn that allow one to have these types of dreams with enough motivation and practice. It seems to be a natural human ability.Now, when I think about the implications for Christians having these dreams I wonder how you correlate them within a Christian way of living? What I mean is, why would God give us this incredible inherent ability, this natural power, if he knew how tempting it would be to sin within a Lucid dream? I personally didn't indulge in much sex (I liked flying much better) but I know how human nature is. On the positive side it's almost like we've inherited some of his creative power but that it lies untapped within most people. The implications are astounding and make me wonder what the limits of human potential are and how they relate to your beliefs.
I know what you mean. I oftentimes control my dreams as well. One theme I love dreaming about is flying. I've been up in our air like an airplane, I've left the earth with a tremendous velocity seeing the earth leave below me. I've even dreamed of going to a gas giant planet like Jupiter. You don't want to be there! The violent atmosphere is beyond description. All these places I created in my mind's eye and dreamed them. When I sour up into the sky and look at the beautiful earth below, I am thanking God in my dreams for the beauty and freedom.Sometimes I dream, well ahem, I don't want to mention it, and I wake up asking for forgiveness because I know I caused it.Actually, I believe most of our dreams are influenced by us. Even with bad dreams (e.g. a cemetery is a common theme in my dreams), I find when I woke up that I had a "need" to dream it and am not sorry.I never remember, though, having downright nightmares.

ninjashoes

Dec 22, 2007
You have to learn to focus and tell yourself to be aware even when you are awake and not dreaming. I remember an expert coming on the Art Bell Coast to Coast show and talking about it. Theres a radio station that plays old Art Bell shows you can get the link and internet radio stream at ufoshipDOTCOM

smallvoice

Sep 11, 2007
that is fascinating CuriousGeorge. Wow... It makes me think about people who claim out-of-body-experiences and NDE's and to wonder if your experiences are a related phenomenon. Thank you for sharing.

dawngordon

Jan 15, 2008
when you have a dream from God, Angels are present in the dream, they come to pass, as well as other criteria.Psychics ask for dreams, which is not holy,I know this from experience because I did that once ( A LONG TIME AGO) and it did not come to pass, never ask, the reason being is Satan can still give them to you, "the terrors that come at night" as David said, it's because of consciousness, the tree of knowledge=consciousness=,that Eve and Adam took of, "they were aware they were nude=conscious...plus the lord says never speak of dreams unless you are 100 percent sure, that is in the scriptures