Cover sin or washed away cleansed in the blood

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In the temple purification came from blood on the altar and washing in water.
The term cover can be used in two ways. Cover as in this is included and that is excluded or as in buried, hidden, not seen.

21 "But if a wicked man turns away from all the sins he has committed and keeps all my decrees and does what is just and right, he will surely live; he will not die.
22 None of the offenses he has committed will be remembered against him. Because of the righteous things he has done, he will live.
Eze 18:21-22

22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.
1 Peter 1:22

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9

8 Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
James 4:8

21 If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.
2 Tim 2:21

22 In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.
Heb 9:22

9 But if anyone does not have them, he is nearsighted and blind, and has forgotten that he has been cleansed from his past sins.
2 Peter 1:9

11 But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.
1 Cor 6:11

25 just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word,
27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.
Eph 5:25-27

21 If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.
2 Tim 2:21

15 they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb
Rev 7:15

7 For the wedding of the Lamb has come, and his bride has made herself ready.
8 Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear." (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)
Rev 19:7-8

16 Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
James 5:16

8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.
1 Peter 4:8

20 Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sin
James 5:20

7 "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man whose sin the Lord will never count against him"
Rom 4:7-8

The key words above are sins not remembered, purified, cleansed, washed, healed, covered.
Now covered seems to be used in the breadth of sins included, not just confessed sins.

8 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.

This implies by love expressed, sins get cleaned away. Some regard the sinners state as staying asis, continually sinning, continually failing and being stuck, never washed, made holy, purified as a soiled item made clean ready for noble purposes. But as Pauls says be are washed clean ready for service with Christ.

So the process of healing, purification, cleansing is important, or else the sinner is just hidden below the cloak. I have seen people use this idea of covering sin and not resolving it as the grace of God in our lives, like hypocrisy before God, being called clean while being sinners. This is no minor issue.

Isaiah felt this deeply.
5 "Woe to me!" I cried. "I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the LORD Almighty."
6 Then one of the seraphs flew to me with a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with tongs from the altar.
7 With it he touched my mouth and said, "See, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away and your sin atoned for."
Isaiah 6:5-7

Isaiah was made Holy, purified, cleansed, resolved. So equally in Christ to become the Holy Temple of God, we must be cleansed and purified, be aware of who we are and what we have become.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
its goes deeper:
the Lord God did this first:

Gen 3:21  Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them. 
hence the Lord God covering their nakedness being ashamed seeking to core their own nakedness in the garden.

and ten generations later with Noah:

Gen 9:20  And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard: 
Gen 9:21  And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent. 
Gen 9:22  And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without. 
Gen 9:23  And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness. 
Gen 9:24  And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. 
Gen 9:25  And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren. 
Gen 9:26  And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. 
Gen 9:27  God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. 

hence how this works in Christ is:

the Almighty sees all man through Adam (all mankind being born into sin ) and now also through Noah (sons of Noah can find grace in God sight) then ten generations later the sons of Abraham (man of faith) Isaac and Jacob are seen through their patriarchs via Israel.

now when Jesus comes all who receive the Life of Christ are then seen through God's Beloved Son in whom there is no sin who is full of Grace honoring Faith in Him.

so when the time comes what shall be in the Presence of God is that which is of His Beloved Son and not of the world. and you know just as well as anyone that memory of men last as long as the flesh, and sometimes not that long but God's memory is forever therefore His memory of the born again is in and of Christ, and all else is forgotten and has returned to the ground (dust to dust). that which is of the earth returns to the earth and that which is of Heaven remains in Heaven. in the born again's case, the Holy Spirit.

its kind a like a war of attrition in that the everlasting Life outlasts all else.

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
FollowHim said:-
... So the process of healing, purification, cleansing is important, or else the sinner is just hidden below the cloak. I have seen people use this idea of covering sin and not resolving it as the grace of God in our lives, like hypocrisy before God, being called clean while being sinners. This is no minor issue. ...
Isaiah 6:5-7
... Isaiah was made Holy, purified, cleansed, resolved. So equally in Christ to become the Holy Temple of God, we must be cleansed and purified, be aware of who we are and what we have become. ...

'For what saith the scripture?
Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.'

(Rom 4:3-8)

Hello @FollowHim,

Would you please explain your reason for quoting the verses in your OP, and what it is you wish to convey by them, for I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

'For what saith the scripture?
Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.

(Rom 4:3-8)

Hello @FollowHim,

Would you please explain your reason for quoting the verses in your OP, and what it is you wish to convey by them, for I don't understand the point you are trying to make.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

There are some theological positions which deal with a sinner like a dirty rag cloth.
The rag cloth is covered by a clean beautiful cloth and the rag cloth is regarded as if it is the beautiful cloth but is never cleaned purified and made whole like the clean beautiful cloth.

Another view is the clean beautiful cloth is an example of what can be, if the dirty rag cloth allows itself to be cleansed, purified and made new. Now in a sense the cleaning of the rag cloth is also about staying in a place were dirt does not stick, is just drops off and is dealt with if it appears.

Now scripture supports various images as above. The more you read scripture the more you realise God makes us new, cleanses and purifies us and makes us into His Holy people. Now this is the image of scripture, a hope, a statement of faith, not that we have arrived but this is our hope, our walk, our destination.

Now there are two reactions to this. One is what we should be, which we can pretend while hiding the true inner self, the other is exposing who we truly are and working on change. Working on change is about repentance, being aware of our emotional balances, and bringing the Lord into our lives at every step. To be frank, I have been doing this so long, I cannot say I can relate to other peoples struggles because they are all unique, but I can say, there is hope in Jesus and a walk we can find.

The antagonism from some at this good news, suggests this is the gospel and the real good news in Christ. But it is often so hard to grasp, because being emotionally relative, we often change everything to reinforce our current state so nothing needs to happen. God bless you

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Subject heading:- 'Cover sin, or washed away cleansed in the blood'

'Saying,
Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven,

and whose sins are covered.(or figuratively = forgiven)
(Romans 4:7-8)

Hello @FollowHim,

Thank you for responding to my post.

Yes, the believer is washed as 1 Corinthians 6:11 says,

' ... And such were some of you:
but ye are washed,
but ye are sanctified,
but ye are justified
in the name of the Lord Jesus,
and by the Spirit of our God.'

In Romans 4:7 sins are referred to as being covered (epkalupto:- to conceal, that is, (figuratively) forgiven). Yes! Happy indeed is that man whose sins are forgiven. To whom the Lord will not impute sin.

* Of the church which is His Body, it is said In Ephesians 5:25b-27 that He loved it and gave Himself for it, 'That He might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, that He might present it to Himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.'

* However we are saved 'unto' good works, and not by them (Ephedians 2:10).

* I agree that there are those who profess to know God, but they deny Him by the works that they do (Titus 1:16) 'being abominable, and disobedient and unto every good work reprobate'.

In Titus 2:11-15 it says,

'For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men,
Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts,
we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
Looking for that blessed hope,
and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ;
Who gave Himself for us, that He might redeem us from all iniquity,
and purify unto Himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.'

* However, there is nothing uncertain about the word 'Hope' as it is used in Scripture: it is certain and sure.

Praise God!

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In the temple purification came from blood on the altar and washing in water.
The term cover can be used in two ways. Cover as in this is included and that is excluded or as in buried, hidden, not seen.
This implies by love expressed, sins get cleaned away. Some regard the sinners state as staying asis, continually sinning, continually failing and being stuck, never washed, made holy, purified as a soiled item made clean ready for noble purposes. But as Pauls says be are washed clean ready for service with Christ.
So the process of healing, purification, cleansing is important, or else the sinner is just hidden below the cloak. I have seen people use this idea of covering sin and not resolving it as the grace of God in our lives, like hypocrisy before God, being called clean while being sinners. This is no minor issue.
Isaiah was made Holy, purified, cleansed, resolved. So equally in Christ to become the Holy Temple of God, we must be cleansed and purified, be aware of who we are and what we have become.
Hi FH, I appreciate your attempt to instill into others the desire and impetus needed to attain sanctification. But, I'm not sure that I agree with the rationale or attempt at a catalyst that you used. For to me, all the Scriptures that you quoted, pertain solely to the eschatological promises reserved for those who remain faithful until the end. They are revealed to us so that we understand the significance of God's justice, holiness and grace, therefore compelling us to accept the Gospel of Christ. Thus, they do not apply at all to any of the saints comportment on earth.

But, what does still evokes sanctity and righteousness as always, is wisdom. Yes, wisdom comes with appreciating God's mercy and Christ's love that are intrinsic in the Gospel of grace, but also as from the beginning of creation, perceiving why God abhors sin. He does not disapprove and forbid certain thoughts and actions in a capricious or arbitrary manner. But on the contrary rather, it is because they are inherently subversive, degenerate and perverse, and thus, invariably destructive to both character and body.

No one has ever become edified or sanctified, while on earth, by simply confessing the Gospel of Christ, outside of the immediate insight into both sin and grace that it elicits (wisdom). You did make this clear, but you attempted to compel people to rectitude with the notion that in God's eyes, we are perfect, and therefore, the deed has been done so just recognize it. I don't believe that this is either a compelling or feasible ideal.