Did Jesus Break The Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tuesday 12-26-23 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 12 5784, 6th. Winter Day

www.gotquestions.org

Did Jesus break the Sabbath law? | GotQuestions.org

Did Jesus break the Sabbath law? Was Jesus healing on the Sabbath a violation of the Mosaic Law?

Love, Walter And Debbie

Reactions: St. SteVen
T

Tulipbee

Tuesday 12-26-23 3rd. Day Of The Weekly Cycle, Tevet 12 5784, 6th. Winter Day

www.gotquestions.org

Did Jesus break the Sabbath law? | GotQuestions.org

Did Jesus break the Sabbath law? Was Jesus healing on the Sabbath a violation of the Mosaic Law?

Love, Walter And Debbie
In the Reformed Christian perspective, Jesus' actions on the Sabbath are often understood in light of His fulfillment of the law and His role as the Lord of the Sabbath. While some critics accused Jesus of breaking the Sabbath, the Reformed view emphasizes that His actions were in line with the true intent and purpose of the Sabbath law. Here are some relevant Bible quotes:
  1. Jesus as Lord of the Sabbath: The Reformed perspective emphasizes Jesus' own words about His authority over the Sabbath.
    Mark 2:27-28 (ESV): "And he said to them, 'The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. So the Son of Man is lord even of the Sabbath.'"
    Here, Jesus asserts His authority over the Sabbath, indicating that the Sabbath's purpose is to benefit humanity.
  2. Healing on the Sabbath: Jesus' healing miracles on the Sabbath were often a point of contention with the religious leaders of His time. However, the Reformed view holds that these actions were not a violation of the Mosaic Law but a demonstration of compassion and mercy.
    Matthew 12:11-12 (ESV): "He said to them, 'Which one of you who has a sheep, if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not take hold of it and lift it out? Of how much more value is a man than a sheep! So it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath.'"
    Jesus argues that acts of mercy and goodness are consistent with the Sabbath's purpose.
  3. Fulfillment of the Law: The Reformed perspective emphasizes that Jesus came not to abolish the law but to fulfill it (Matthew 5:17). His actions, including those on the Sabbath, align with the higher moral and spiritual principles of the law.
    Matthew 12:6 (ESV): "I tell you, something greater than the temple is here."
    This statement underscores Jesus' unique role and authority.
In summary, the Reformed view holds that Jesus' actions on the Sabbath were not a violation of the Mosaic Law but rather a demonstration of His authority over the Sabbath and His fulfillment of the law's true purpose. Jesus' emphasis was on mercy, compassion, and the higher moral principles underlying the Sabbath commandment.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Yes, Jesus broke the Sabbath.
Jesus worked on the Sabbath and Jesus told the man to pick up his bed and walk on the sabbath, that God had told Israel to do no work on the sabbath and not move your bed on the sabbath. Jesus was all about doing Colossians 2:11-15 etc....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
16 For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, [d]and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”
18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God. 19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read for context. Traditions teach many things don't they.

5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”

7 The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”

8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.

And that day was the Sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed.”

11 He answered them, “He who made me well said to me, ‘Take up your bed and walk.’ ”

12 Then they asked him, “Who is the Man who said to you, ‘Take up your bed and walk’?” 13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.”

15 The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.

Honor the Father and the Son​

16 For this reason the Jews persecuted Jesus, [d]and sought to kill Him, because He had done these things on the Sabbath. 17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father has been working until now, and I have been working.”

18 Therefore the Jews sought all the more to kill Him, because He not only broke the Sabbath, but also said that God was His Father, making Himself equal with God. 19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.

Reactions: Mr E

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

The sabbath laws had punishments of death if they were broken. Jesus called them hypocrites as none of them kept the sabbath either.

Not Legalism but Christ​

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body [h]of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the [i]handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a [j]festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the [k]substance is of Christ.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Here is the relevant law for picking up your bed and moving out of your place the Jews complained the man did was unlawful

Exodus 16:29
See! For the Lord has given you the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.”

Death penalty also included lighting a fire on the sabbath. the jewish leaders though were hypocrites as they also did not keep the sabbath, yet demanded everyone else keep it.

Exodus 35
Then Moses gathered all the congregation of the children of Israel together, and said to them, “These are the words which the Lord has commanded you to do: 2 Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. 3 You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath day.”

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Jesus said the priests profane the sabbath and are guiltless. They have to light fires on the sabbath for the burnt offerings

Exodus 31:14
You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does any work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people.

Matthew 12:5
Or have you not read in the law that on the Sabbath the priests in the temple profane the Sabbath, and are blameless?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus broke the tradition of the Pharisees but not the Law in the slightest.

Jesus worked on the Sabbath and Jesus told the man to pick up his bed and walk on the sabbath

When Jesus got here... the old covenant was taken away so a New Covenant could be established.

Hebrews 3:5,6
And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; But Christ as a Son over His own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Now, there is a new house, the Body of Jesus Christ! Under the New Covenant that the Lord said would come forth, we see Jesus Christ as the High Priest. The old covenant with it’s laws and regulations have been taken away because thru Jesus Christ a new and better covenant has come in to place.

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

And with the changing of the priesthood, God’s Word tells us there is also a change of the law.

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Luke 16:16
The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

Reactions: Scott Downey

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus worked on the Sabbath and Jesus told the man to pick up his bed and walk on the sabbath

When Jesus got here... the old covenant was taken away so a New Covenant could be established.

Hebrews 3:5,6
And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; But Christ as a Son over His own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Now, there is a new house, the Body of Jesus Christ! Under the New Covenant that the Lord said would come forth, we see Jesus Christ as the High Priest. The old covenant with it’s laws and regulations have been taken away because thru Jesus Christ a new and better covenant has come in to place.

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.

And with the changing of the priesthood, God’s Word tells us there is also a change of the law.

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Luke 16:16
The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
Yes but those "labors" were defined by pharisees and not the law. the law did not forbid one to make a meal or make a bed or heal a man.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Law of the sabbath was transgressed by some poor guy picking up sticks to light a fire on the sabbath.
The inquired of the Lord in the matter and the Lord God told them He must surely be put to death, and they stoned him to death outside the camp. (Christ also was crucified outside the gate, interesting foreshadowing of Christ to come)

Aren't you glad for the New Covenant!
Numbers 15

Penalty for Violating the Sabbath​

32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

Hebrews 13
10 We have an altar from which those who serve the tabernacle have no right to eat. 11 For the bodies of those animals, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned outside the camp. 12 Therefore Jesus also, that He might [c]sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered outside the gate. 13 Therefore let us go forth to Him, outside the camp, bearing His reproach. 14 For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come. 15 Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, [d]giving thanks to His name. 16 But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Law of the sabbath was transgressed by some poor guy picking up sticks to light a fire on the sabbath.
The inquired of the Lord in the matter and the Lord God told them He must surely be put to death, and they stoned him to death outside the camp. (Christ also was crucified outside the gate, interesting foreshadowing of Christ to come)

Aren't you glad for the New Covenant!
Numbers 15

Penalty for Violating the Sabbath​

32 Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron, and to all the congregation. 34 They put him under guard, because it had not been explained what should be done to him.

35 Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man must surely be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp.” 36 So, as the Lord commanded Moses, all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

Hebrews 13
10 We have an altar from which those who serve the tabernacle have no right to eat. 11 For the bodies of those animals, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned outside the camp. 12 Therefore Jesus also, that He might [c]sanctify the people with His own blood, suffered outside the gate. 13 Therefore let us go forth to Him, outside the camp, bearing His reproach. 14 For here we have no continuing city, but we seek the one to come. 15 Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, [d]giving thanks to His name. 16 But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

Poor guys who lied, stole, dishonored their parents, and idolized also got put to death.

Aren't you glad for the neo-New Covenant so we can do those things without being killed by the mean God of the Old Testament?!!

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Poor guys who lied, stole, dishonored their parents, and idolized also got put to death.

Aren't you glad for the neo-New Covenant so we can do those things without being killed by the mean God of the Old Testament?!!

Same God, different covenant, and yes very happy I am in this new covenant and thereby perfected forever. And won't experience His wrath. Many of those Israelites experienced that wrath and His angry displeasure.
Hebrews 3

Failure of the Wilderness Wanderers​

16 For who, having heard, rebelled? Indeed, was it not all who came out of Egypt, led by Moses? 17 Now with whom was He angry forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose corpses fell in the wilderness? 18 And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who did not obey? 19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.

Hebrews 12

The Glorious Company​

18 For you have not come [g]to the mountain that may be touched and that burned with fire, and to blackness and [h]darkness and tempest, 19 and the sound of a trumpet and the voice of words, so that those who heard it begged that the word should not be spoken to them anymore. 20 (For they could not endure what was commanded: “And if so much as a beast touches the mountain, it shall be stoned [i]or shot with an arrow.” 21 And so terrifying was the sight that Moses said, “I am exceedingly afraid and trembling.”)

22 But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, to an innumerable company of angels, 23 to the [j]general assembly and church of the firstborn who are registered in heaven, to God the Judge of all, to the spirits of just men made perfect, 24 to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.

Hear the Heavenly Voice​

25 See that you do not refuse Him who speaks. For if they did not escape who refused Him who spoke on earth, much more shall we not escape if we turn away from Him who speaks from heaven, 26 whose voice then shook the earth; but now He has promised, saying, “Yet once more I [k]shake not only the earth, but also heaven.” 27 Now this, “Yet once more,” indicates the removal of those things that are being shaken, as of things that are made, that the things which cannot be shaken may remain.

28 Therefore, since we are receiving a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us have grace, by which we [l]may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear. 29 For our God is a consuming fire.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Our New Covenant is entirely different in how it works.
God simply makes us alive who were dead in sin without any input from us, (the NC does not depend on us to perform it) as He chooses those He will save apart from our will. He conforms us to His will by regenerating us by His love so that when Christ appears in our life we love and receive Him into our hearts.

Hebrews 8, God does the work of the NC, he changes us, we don't change ourselves, we do not do anything to make us acceptable to God, God makes us acceptable in the beloved. We believe but even our belief God grants to us on behalf of His Son so the Christ will have brothers, a family of God.

A New Covenant​

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11 None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins [b]and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

13 In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God granted to us our belief in Christ.
Those who do not believe God did not grant that they come to Christ.

Philippians 1

27 Only let your conduct be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of your affairs, that you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind striving together for the faith of the gospel, 28 and not in any way terrified by your adversaries, which is to them a proof of perdition, but [f]to you of salvation, and that from God
. 29 For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake, 30 having the same conflict which you saw in me and now hear is in me.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

the scripture says there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, for the law made nothing [e]perfect;

Since the commandment is annulled, it is no longer in effect, it is obsoleted, the Old Covenant relationship has passed away, that Aaronic priesthood is gone and does not intercede for the people with God any longer.

The New Covenant however is perfect as
Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

Hebrews 7

New Covenant, New Priesthood​

11 Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron? 12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. 13 For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has [b]officiated at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning [c]priesthood. 15 And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest 16 who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life. 17 For [d]He testifies:

“You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek.”
18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, 19 for the law made nothing [e]perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, Jesus broke the Sabbath.
Jesus worked on the Sabbath and Jesus told the man to pick up his bed and walk on the sabbath, that God had told Israel to do no work on the sabbath and not move your bed on the sabbath. Jesus was all about doing Colossians 2:11-15 etc....
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read for context. Traditions teach many things don't they.

5 Now a certain man was there who had an infirmity thirty-eight years. 6 When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he already had been in that condition a long time, He said to him, “Do you want to be made well?”

7 The sick man answered Him, “Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up; but while I am coming, another steps down before me.”

8 Jesus said to him, “Rise, take up your bed and walk.” 9 And immediately the man was made well, took up his bed, and walked.

And that day was the Sabbath. 10 The Jews therefore said to him who was cured, “It is the Sabbath; it is not lawful for you to carry your bed.”

11 He answered them, “He who made me well said to me, ‘Take up your bed and walk.’ ”

12 Then they asked him, “Who is the Man who said to you, ‘Take up your bed and walk’?” 13 But the one who was healed did not know who it was, for Jesus had withdrawn, a multitude being in that place. 14 Afterward Jesus found him in the temple, and said to him, “See, you have been made well. Sin no more, lest a worse thing come upon you.”

15 The man departed and told the Jews that it was Jesus who had made him well.

Honor the Father and the Son​

Jesus didn't break the Sabbath nor did the lame man "bear a burden" on the Sabbath. It is "lawful" to heal on Sabbath, and "bearing a burden" is obviously associated with difficult routine weekly labor from which men were to rest on Sabbath, not slipping a rolled up mat under one's arm and carrying it home after being miraculously healed of a decades old handicap.

Were mothers carrying babies on Sabbath guilty of "bearing a burden" or was one guilty for carrying a turtledove birdcage on Sabbath to the temple for sacrifice?

The worst examples of "legalism" in church today are "antinominanist legal loopholes" intended to get us around having to obedience to God's laws, like the Sabbath commandment found in Hebrews 4:9 Pishetta: "It is therefore the duty of the people of God to keep the Sabbath".

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

the scripture says there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, for the law made nothing [e]perfect;

Since the commandment is annulled, it is no longer in effect, it is obsoleted, the Old Covenant relationship has passed away, that Aaronic priesthood is gone and does not intercede for the people with God any longer.

The New Covenant however is perfect as
Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

Hebrews 7

New Covenant, New Priesthood​

11 Therefore, if perfection were through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there that another priest should rise according to the order of Melchizedek, and not be called according to the order of Aaron? 12 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law. 13 For He of whom these things are spoken belongs to another tribe, from which no man has [b]officiated at the altar.

14 For it is evident that our Lord arose from Judah, of which tribe Moses spoke nothing concerning [c]priesthood. 15 And it is yet far more evident if, in the likeness of Melchizedek, there arises another priest 16 who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life. 17 For [d]He testifies:

“You are a priest forever
According to the order of Melchizedek.”
18 For on the one hand there is an annulling of the former commandment because of its weakness and unprofitableness, 19 for the law made nothing [e]perfect; on the other hand, there is the bringing in of a better hope, through which we draw near to God.

Neither the 4th, nor any other of the Ten Commandments has anything to do with the liturgical function of the Levitical-Aaronic priesthood.