Did Jesus Break The Sabbath

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know He didn't need to teach is... Saturday sabbath is obsolete under the New Covenant and has been debunked and is defunct. The REST the Lord provides under the New Covenant is an upgrade from what was provided under the old covenant.

And it's OK to call the Lord Jesus... you don't get any special browning points with the Lord by saying stuff in hebrew as this does not make you closer to the Lord than others.
Shabbat shalom, Big Boy Johnson.

One should NOT lump the covenant with the Law. The Law came first and was read to the children of Israel, and they AGREED to perform it as written. That AGREEMENT is the Old Covenant. It was a this-for-that agreement, and both parties were responsible for their end of the agreement. If they agree to perform the right things to do or not do written in the Law, then God would continue to bless their ways and make them to prosper. If they failed to keep up their end, then God was no longer obligated (by His own Will) to bless them! They ended up sinning against His Law grievously! And, they received just punishment for their transgressions, time and time again.

However, when God said He would make a NEW Covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, annulling the Old Covenant, that did NOTHING to the Law which SUPERCEDED and PRECEDED the Covenant! Indeed, regarding the Shabbat, that was decided in the FIRST SEVENTH-DAY after the Creation!

Genesis 2:1-3 (KJV)

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. 2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. 3 And God BLESSED the seventh day, and SANCTIFIED it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

He SET IT APART AS CLEAN, a DAY FOR BLESSING (HAPPINESS; JOY)! It was the first HOLIDAY ("HOLY DAY") that was given to mankind (and the domesticated animals through them) to ENJOY GOD'S COMPANY and CELEBRATE the accomplishments of God! We human beings are God's CROWNING ACHIEVEMENT in this Creation! We can look in the mirror at what God has created to work and function on its own, and MARVEL at HIS workmanship! The more we learn about the human anatomy, even at the cellular level, the more we should be AWED by the CREATIVE POWER of YHWH God!

And, now, we can be FURTHER AWED by the AMAZING CREATIVE POWER of YHWH God AGAIN in the RESURRECTION of His Son!

Why would anyone want to throw away one celebration for another?! We should be honoring BOTH days! Indeed, God has worked it out in human history to give us a "weekend" of two days, and we work the other five! The weekend is NOT to enjoy ourselves, doing the things we want to do; it was meant to FIND TIME WITH GOD for FELLOWSHIP WITH HIM! HE should be our focus!

The ONLY difference, when it comes to the Law after the New Covenant, is that God promised to write THE SAME LAW upon our hearts, instead of stone, parchment, or paper! The "heart" is the "CORE" of one's thoughts, the CENTER of our thoughts. Indeed, the Latin word for "heart" IS "cor! "

The OLD Covenant was superceded because WE COULDN'T KEEP IT! We've demonstrated that time and time again, not only in history, but in our day-to-day lives! God Himself had to step in and do for us what we couldn't do on our own! He DECLARES us His Righteousness through the Sacrifice of His Son, and now we've been JUSTIFIED BY GOD! (Many call this "salvation.")

I believe, as a born-again Christian, you know all this already, but you may have never articulated it quite this way, am I right? It's okay. We ALL forget some things, and put some things together that weren't meant to be put together, and neglect to put other things together because we haven't thought of something that way before.

YOU, "Big Boy Johnson," are GOD'S WORKMANSHIP! And, He's PROUD OF YOU! Have a GREAT Shabbat with Him!

Reactions: Spyder

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 7:2 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.
Jesus is our great high priest now according to a different order.
Jesus established the NC.
Jesus wiped out the requirements of the commandments that were contrary to us.
Paul said that includes wiping out the requirement of the sabbath commandment according to the first covenant, the law of Moses.

If you 'wipe out' something written it is erased, and no longer exists, it is gone. Like legally null and void.

“if you ‘wipe out’ something it is erased, and no longer exists, it is gone. Like legally null and void.” …imo what He wiped out …erased was our being “without natural affection” which is contrary to the nature of God who doesn’t hate His own Body but nourishes it. To me that is what He was showing concerning the Sabbath rest of God in telling the man to take up His bed and walk. Everything religion did was to kill, steal and destroy and was “without natural affection”. When they blamed Him for breaking the Sabbath it was usually because He was helping someone in need. Like when He responded to their lectures and teachings against Him
Luke 14:1-6 And it came to pass, as he went into the house of one of the chief Pharisees to eat bread on the sabbath day, that they watched him. [2] And, behold, there was a certain man before him which had the dropsy. [3] And Jesus answering spake unto the lawyers and Pharisees, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath day? [4] And they held their peace. And he took him, and healed him, and let him go; [5] And answered them, saying, Which of you shall have an ass or an ox fallen into a pit, and will not straightway pull him out on the sabbath day? [6] And they could not answer him again to these things.

My husband and I was talking about this yesterday…the two women where one was encumbered about with much serving and she spat “why is she not serving with me?” Because the other sat at His feet. he told her who served and was heavy laden that Luke 10:41-42 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, you are careful and troubled about many things: [42] But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

To me that speaks of Mary did what was needful…entering into His Rest. her Receiving Him not as a servant but above a servant… —higher than a servant… “as a beloved Son”

But Martha is asking Him to remove Mary out from His Rest. “Not only do you not enter in but you keep others who are entering in from entering” …that was often times spoken to those scolding Him for breaking their Laws concerning the Sabbath day. What is the difference between “a servant” and receive Him not as a servant, but above a servant, “a Son” “dearly beloved of God.”?

When considering “did Jesus break the Sabbath” I have to ask …was He a servant or received above a servant …as a Son, beloved of the Father? Hebrews says He was not like other priests being prevented by death.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 7:2 For the priesthood being changed, of necessity there is also a change of the law.
Jesus is our great high priest now according to a different order.
Jesus established the NC.
Jesus wiped out the requirements of the commandments that were contrary to us.
Paul said that includes wiping out the requirement of the sabbath commandment according to the first covenant, the law of Moses.

If you 'wipe out' something written it is erased, and no longer exists, it is gone. Like legally null and void.

LOVE Hebrews …my husband asked me the other morning if I am aware the word of God forbids me to make coffee? I fell for it…asking where does it say that. he said “He Brews.” We laughed but he did voice he’s surprised a doctrine hasn’t been built out of it.

I loved seeing you post on Hebrews. I’ve been staying in Hebrews for a while now. There is so much there.

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shabbat shalom, Big Boy Johnson.

Now, here you are on the sabbath... working, and causing others to have to work.

You're not representing the sabbath very well seeing you are breaking the law concerning the sabbath

However, when God said He would make a NEW Covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah, annulling the Old Covenant, that did NOTHING to the Law which SUPERCEDED and PRECEDED the Covenant! Indeed, regarding the Shabbat, that was decided in the FIRST SEVENTH-DAY after the Creation!

Hebrews 3:5,6
And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; But Christ as a Son over His own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Now, there is a new house, the Body of Jesus Christ! Under the New Covenant that the Lord said would come forth, we see Jesus Christ as the High Priest. The old covenant with it’s laws and regulations have been taken away because thru Jesus Christ a new and better covenant has come in to place.

Hebrews 10:9
Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
(God said He would make a New Covenant - see Jeremiah 31:31-34)

Hebrews 8:6
But now hath Jesus obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also Jesus is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

And with the changing of the priesthood, God’s Word tells us there is also a change of the law.

Hebrews 7:12
For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

There's not much help for those stuck in the old covenant following Moses as high priest who refuse to fully accept the New Covenant with Jesus now presiding as High Priest over God's people.

Apparently some will never get free of the SDA indoctrination. And some are afraid of being kicked out of the SDA religion. I was reading some stuff a while back about the SDA religion is quick to give the left foot of fellowship to those who do not continually adhere to the doctrines of the SDA home office. It's too bad to see folks living in fear like this.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SDAs are very cult like... they believe they are the only ones that are saved and all that disagree with them will burn in hell...

Malinformed perpetration of falsehoods

Well, I don't go to a church building on Saturday or Sunday

Perhaps if you did (since you oddly, albeit correctly, claim that Christians can gather anytime they want while you admittedly don't), you would not like it if someone mocked and lied about your church family on a forum website that had these rules posted:

From Christianity Board Forum Rules

"*No insults are allowed. Included in this are all forms of flaming, harassment, and trolling/goading as determined at the discretion of the Christianity Board Team. Trolling/Goading is defined as repeated attempts through the use of images, cartoons, smileys or text that is designed to be explicitly demeaning, patronizing, embarrassing, or otherwise upsetting to a member or group of members in the community.
This further includes making false statements or accusations about a member.
Sarcasm is not included under this rule."

(Sarcasm is not sardonicism, by the way, which is your patently unmistakable modus operandi.)

"[*]Denominational Posts – Excessive posts either attempting to either push a single denomination (or group) or attacking another denomination are included in this rule."

(When the rules are relaxed to allow some of this attacking, the fact that some defense of denominational teaching and practice will inevitably occur cannot justly be called "pushing a denomination," in an attempt to defend the initial attack on it.)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The bad fruit of Ellen White and the SDA teaching that Sunday worshipping Christians receive the mark of the beast and will burn in hellfire.

Right here you know this is false teaching. This is why they hold onto the sabbath keeping so strongly.
They are not neutral about this particular day, as in its ok for some believers to meet on and keep Sunday as a day of worship.

They teach all Sunday worshippers are condemned to hell as they follow the devil, receive the devil's mark and they do not belong to Christ.
The truth is Sabbath keeping is a work of the law, and no one is justified before God by keeping the law.

Additional Reading: Selected Quotes from Ellen G. White​

Why are men not interested to know what constitutes the mark of the beast and his image? It is in direct contrast with the mark of God. . . .

John was called to behold a people distinct from those who worship the beast and his image by keeping the first day of the week. The observance of this day is the mark of the beast. . . .

. . . To receive this mark means to come to the same decision as the beast has done, and to advocate the same ideas, in direct opposition to the Word of God. Of all who receive this mark, God says, “The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb.”. . .

If the light of truth has been presented to you, revealing the Sabbath of the fourth commandment, and showing that there is no foundation in the Word of God for Sunday observance, and yet you still cling to the false sabbath, refusing to keep holy the Sabbath which God calls “My holy day,” you receive the mark of the beast. When does this take place? When you obey the decree that commands you to cease from labor on Sunday and worship God, while you know that there is not a word in the Bible showing Sunday to be other than a common working day, you consent to receive the mark of the beast, and refuse the seal of God. . . .

But the seal of the living God is placed upon those who conscientiously keep the Sabbath of the Lord.—Ellen G. White Comments, in The SDA Bible Commentary, vol. 7, pp. 979, 980.

As long as we're quoting Mrs. White on the subject of the mark of the beast, you forgot this one:

"No one has yet received the mark of the beast. The testing time has not yet come. There are true Christians in every church, not excepting the Roman Catholic communion. None are condemned until they have had the light and have seen the obligation of the fourth commandment. But when the decree shall go forth enforcing the counterfeit sabbath, and the loud cry of the third angel shall warn men against the worship of the beast and his image, the line will be clearly drawn between the false and the true. Then those who still continue in transgression will receive the mark of the beast."

Letters and Manuscripts — Volume 14 — Manuscript #51 (1899)

There are plenty of others, but I tend to prefer quoting the Bible when trying to uplift its teachings.

:hearteyes:

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I find this interesting. Maybe I can help raise interest here as well.

Most people think that Jesus was under the Old Covenant. Was he? In the Old Testament we find:

Is 42:5–7. Thus says Yahweh God, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it: “I am Yahweh; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you; I will give you as a covenant for the people, a light for the nations, to open the eyes that are blind, to bring out the prisoners from the dungeon, from the prison those who sit in darkness.

Is 49:8-9 Thus says Yahweh: “In a time of favor I have answered you; in a day of salvation I have helped you; I will keep you and give you as a covenant to the people, to establish the land, to apportion the desolate heritages, saying to the prisoners, ‘Come out,’ to those who are in darkness, ‘Appear.’ They shall feed along the ways; on all bare heights shall be their pasture;

Do not the underlines parts describe someone called "as a covenant for the people?" Do that mean that God called His future Son "the New Covenant?" Just my rational thinking says that He could not be under both covenants at the same time. Perhaps that is why He had the authority to reject the accusations of the Pharisees that He was breaking the Sabbath and reminded them that it was created for man and man was not created for the Sabbath.

We should already know that there was no punctuation is our original manuscripts. Translators insert them where THEY think that they belong. Take this passage:

Gal 4:4–5 But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.

Based on the passages in Isaiah, the second comma after the first occurrence of "born" should not be there. He was born under a woman who was born under the law.

Attachments

• born under the law.jpg
    born under the law.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 0

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Our New Covenant is entirely different in how it works.
God simply makes us alive who were dead in sin without any input from us, (the NC does not depend on us to perform it) as He chooses those He will save apart from our will. He conforms us to His will by regenerating us by His love so that when Christ appears in our life we love and receive Him into our hearts.

Hebrews 8, God does the work of the NC, he changes us, we don't change ourselves, we do not do anything to make us acceptable to God, God makes us acceptable in the beloved. We believe but even our belief God grants to us on behalf of His Son so the Christ will have brothers, a family of God.

A New Covenant​

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then no place would have been sought for a second. 8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah— 9 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they did not continue in My covenant, and I disregarded them, says the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My laws in their mind and write them on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 11 None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them. 12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins [b]and their lawless deeds I will remember no more.”

13 In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away.
And yet they are the same...
Jeremiah 31:33
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Hebrews 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Hebrews 10:16
This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And yet they are the same...
Jeremiah 31:33
But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Hebrews 8:10
For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:

Hebrews 10:16
This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;
No they are not the same, it is a NEW Covenant with God, not like the OC. They work differently. For one thing believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, something denied to all believers in Christ by the SDA church.

For another God writes His laws on the heart, not the laws given by Moses as in all 10 commandments and whatever hundreds other regulations that were also required under the abolished old covenant. He writes the laws of the NC on the heart. The result of the work God does in the NC, everyone chosen by God actually is saved forever eternally. He says they shall be My people, that is an absolute declaration, no ifs, ands or buts.

The SDA teaches Sunday worshipping believers are not indwelt by God, but they belong to the devil.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke,

OC vs NC, yeah, entirely different OC requires performance according to commandments and regulations, NC is by faith in Christ alone.
Dispute that! You who hate the scriptures teachings.

10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse; for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not continue in all things which are written in the book of the law, to do them.” 11 But that no one is [d]justified by the law in the sight of God is evident, for “the just shall live by faith.” 12 Yet the law is not of faith, but “the man who does them shall live by them.”

13 Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us (for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who hangs on a tree”), 14 that the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles in Christ Jesus, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As long as we're quoting Mrs. White on the subject of the mark of the beast, you forgot this one:

"No one has yet received the mark of the beast. The testing time has not yet come. There are true Christians in every church, not excepting the Roman Catholic communion. None are condemned until they have had the light and have seen the obligation of the fourth commandment. But when the decree shall go forth enforcing the counterfeit sabbath, and the loud cry of the third angel shall warn men against the worship of the beast and his image, the line will be clearly drawn between the false and the true. Then those who still continue in transgression will receive the mark of the beast."

There are plenty of others, but I tend to prefer quoting the Bible when trying to uplift its teachings.

:hearteyes:
Quoting from the SDA church executive committee on the churches understanding-interpretation of Ellen White's words clearly disputes what you quoted.

There is no real change in Ellen G. White’s views on the Papacy and Protestantism and their enforcement of the mark of the beast. In order to appreciate her later statements, it is helpful to notice her earlier ones. The earliest statement of Ellen G. White regarding Catholics and Protestants as persecuting powers comes from 1850, in which, based on Revelation 13 and 17, the papacy is described as “the mother of harlots” and Protestants as “her daughters.” Several phases of persecution are described:

1. the papacy’s “day . . . is past” refers to the 1,260 years of papal supremacy when she persecuted God’s people;
  2. Protestants, in harmony with the second angel’s message (Rev. 14:8), would begin to persecute them also. That Ellen White did not consider the papacy’s persecuting work to be over is made clear in succeeding paragraphs, which indicate additional phases of persecution:
  3. Protestant churches, together with the Catholic church, would come against those who “keep the Sabbath and disregard Sunday,” and
  4. the Catholic church would lend its influence to Protestants in the United States to destroy God’s people.
Clearly, according to Ellen White, Catholics and Protestants will be colluding together over a considerable period of time in persecuting God’s people.

The next major statement, published in 1884, elaborates on this initial 1850 statement, and makes clear that the focus on the papacy’s time being “past” is to show that the second angel’s message of Babylon being fallen refers specifically to apostate Protestantism: “The word of God teaches that these scenes [of persecution during the period of papal supremacy] are to be repeated as papists and Protestants shall unite for the exaltation of the Sunday.”

In conclusion, Ellen G. White’s position regarding the papacy and its promotion of Sunday sacredness remained consistent. Later statements, including those published in the various editions of The Great Controversy, are an elaboration of her earliest statement, not a change of position. For example, in 1900, she wrote, “When the test comes, it will be clearly shown what the mark of the beast is. It is the keeping of Sunday.”

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No they are not the same, it is a NEW Covenant with God, not like the OC. They work differently. For one thing believers are indwelt by the Holy Spirit, something denied to all believers in Christ by the SDA church.

For another God writes His laws on the heart, not the laws given by Moses as in all 10 commandments and whatever hundreds other regulations that were also required under the abolished old covenant. He writes the laws of the NC on the heart. The result of the work God does in the NC, everyone chosen by God actually is saved forever eternally. He says they shall be My people, that is an absolute declaration, no ifs, ands or buts.

The SDA teaches Sunday worshipping believers are not indwelt by God, but they belong to the devil.
The truth of the matter is right there even with all the twisting of it men try to do. History also shows us..

"On March 7, 321, Roman Emperor Constantine I decreed that dies Solis Invicti (‘sun-day,’ or Day of Sol Invictus, Roman God of the Sun) would be the Roman day of rest throughout the Roman Empire...

Though Sol Invictus (meaning ‘The unconquered Sun’) was indeed a pagan Roman God, and had been featured on Roman coins, Constantine coopted this pagan heritage along with the Judeo-Christian following of the 10 Commandments by granting a day to honor God and rest for man. As the Roman Empire gradually converted to Christianity, Sunday became the natural day for the Sabbath and rest since Romans were already accustomed to Sunday as their day off."March 7, 321: How Sunday Became the Christian Day of Rest - History and Headlines

"The early Romans initially adopted the earlier Greek Hellenistic religion that incorporated the worship of many deities, including Apollo and Helios—the sun god, who was known to the Romans as Sol. As time passed, Sol eventually took on the combined attributes of Apollo, Helios and Mithra. The early Roman Emperors promoted the rising cult of Sol Invictus with the addition of numerous new temples, statues, rites and festivals created in Sol's name. Like earlier solar deities, Sol's tasks included steering the sun-chariot across the sky each day, a reminder that this cult was a blending of monotheism and earlier paganism.

By promoting the cult and the consolidation of divine power into Sol, Roman emperors were able to please the military and also enhance their own power by identifying Sol as the source of imperial legitimacy; in some cases the emperors were able to promote themselves as the personification of Solon earth.

Constantine in the early 4th century advanced the pagan cult of Sol Invictus to the height of its popularity. Among his efforts was the minting of this special coin dedicated to Sol. Constantine also built his famous Arch in Rome, inscribed with several references to Sol Invictus, and positioned it carefully to align with the colossal 100' bronze statue of Sol that adjoined the Coliseum at the time. The rising popularity Christianity in Rome's rural areas was a factor in Constantine’s later adoption of Christianity as the Empire's official religious—a transition arguably made easier by the preceding, well accepted ideas embodied in and popularized by the cult of Sol Invictus." ..Biblical Artifacts Ancient Coins and Artifacts from the Holy Land

"Sol Invictus played a prominent role in the Mithraic mysteries and was portrayed as being equated with, allied with, or an epithet of Mithras, although the relationship between the public cults themselves is controversial. The New Testament scholar Helmut Koester, in his book, Introduction to the New Testament, says “Although Mithras appeared to be the most oriental god among the new deities, and although his cult was essentially celebrated in exclusive mystery associations—the Mithras cult was a “mystery religion” in the strict sense of the word—this god was received by the Romans without resistance, and at the end of the 3d century CE, as Sol Invictus he became the official god of the Roman state.” ..The Dying-and-Rising Gods: Sol Invictus

The text of Constantine's Sunday Law of 321 A.D.:
First Sunday Law enacted by Emperor Constantine -
March, 321 A.D.

On the venerable Day of the Sun let the magistrates and people residing in cities rest, and let all workshops be closed. In the country, however, persons engaged in agriculture may freely and lawfully continue their pursuits; because it often happens that another day is not so suitable for grain-sowing or for vine-planting; lest by neglecting the proper moment for such operations the bounty of heaven should be lost. (Given the 7th day of March, Crispus and Constantine being consuls each of them for the second time [A.D. 321].)
Source: Codex Justinianus, lib. 3, tit. 12, 3; trans. in Philip Schaff, History of the Christian Church, Vol. 3 (5th ed.; New York: Scribner, 1902), p. 380, note 1. ...Was The Seven-Day Weekly Cycle Created By Man?

The early believers kept Saturday as the Sabbath until March 7, 321 CE when Constantine passed his law requiring believers to worship on Sunday, the day the pagans worshiped the sun-god, Sol Invictus. Believers continued to keep Saturday as the Sabbath but gradually were swept aside as the day of the sun took root in the empire, and we see the start of serious oppression for the day of worship, and many believers began to be persecuted by the Roman Catholic Church for keeping the Sabbath.

Rome had been the center of many of the pagan festivals and cults, and it was held that Mithras was born on what we now call Christmas day, and his followers celebrated the spring equinox. The Sol Invictus, associated with Mithras, was one the main pagan cult the church faced and rather than reject it let it come into the church with its sun worship. The Cybele cult also flourished in Rome on today's Vatican Hill. They held that Cybele's lover Attis, was born of a virgin, died and was reborn annually. This spring festival began as a day of blood on Black Friday, rising to a crescendo after three days, in rejoicing over the resurrection. There was violent conflict on Vatican Hill in the early days of Christianity between the Jesus worshipers and pagans who quarreled over whose God was the true, and whose the imitation. Christianity came to an accommodation with the pagan Spring festival and used it to bring in unconverted pagans.

History clearly shows how the Pagan worship of Sol Invictus and festivals got into the early church and it was never sanctioned by scripture or given by Christ and the Apostles.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
SDA church members believe that all Catholics and Protestants are of the mother of harlots and of the abominations of the earth. So yes, they do not recognize salvation by faith in Christ for all people outside of their church membership. Which proves they are preaching a false gospel and accursed by God. The conclusion is inescapable, they consider only themselves saved, and all other believers in Christ are of the devil and going to hell.

https://executivecommittee.adventis...on-the-mark-of-the-beast-and-end-time-events/
There is no real change in Ellen G. White’s views on the Papacy and Protestantism and their enforcement of the mark of the beast. In order to appreciate her later statements, it is helpful to notice her earlier ones. The earliest statement of Ellen G. White regarding Catholics and Protestants as persecuting powers comes from 1850, in which, based on Revelation 13 and 17, the papacy is described as “the mother of harlots” and Protestants as “her daughters.” Several phases of persecution are described:

Revelation 17
Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying [a]to me, “Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, 2 with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.”

3 So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 4 The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the filthiness of [b]her fornication. 5 And on her forehead a name was written:

MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT,
THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS
AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS
OF THE EARTH.

6 I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marveled with great amazement.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
SDA church members believe that all Catholics and Protestants are of the mother of harlots and of the abominations of the earth. So yes, they do not recognize salvation by faith in Christ for all people outside of their church membership. Which proves they are preaching a false gospel and accursed by God. The conclusion is inescapable, they consider only themselves saved, and all other believers in Christ are of the devil and going to hell.

https://executivecommittee.adventis...on-the-mark-of-the-beast-and-end-time-events/

Revelation 17
Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying [a]to me, “Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, 2 with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.”

3 So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 4 The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the filthiness of [b]her fornication. 5 And on her forehead a name was written:

MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT,
THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS
AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS
OF THE EARTH.

6 I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marveled with great amazement.
They are following the doctrines of a apostate church, the Reformers broke from it and where on their path to the fullness of Gods truth, but then their followers turned away into creeds and faltered... Need to look to see what Gods Word that the early church had, shows, and Sunday was never the Sabbath. Here are some clues showing which show who the Protestant churches are following and its not the Bible:

"Protestants ... accept Sunday rather than Saturday as the day for public worship after the Catholic Church made the change... But the Protestant mind does not seem to realize that ... in observing Sunday, they are accepting the authority of the spokesman for the Church, the pope." Our Sunday Visitor, February 5th, 1950. This Rock

Question: Which is the Sabbath day?
Answer: Saturday is the Sabbath day.

Question: Why do we observe Sunday instead of Saturday?
Answer: We observe Sunday instead of Saturday because the Catholic Church transferred the solemnity from Saturday to Sunday. -Rev. Peter Geiermann C.SS.R., The Convert's Catechism of Catholic Doctrine, p. 50

Q. Should not the Protestant doubt when he finds that he himself holds tradition as a guide?
A. Yes, if he would but reflect that he has nothing but Catholic Tradition for keeping the Sunday holy; ... Controversial Catechism by Stephen Keenan, New Edition, revised by Rev. George Cormack, published in London by Burns & Oates, Limited - New York, Cincinnati, Chicago: Benzinger Brothers, 1896, pages 6, 7.

"The Church, on the other hand, after changing the day of rest from the Jewish Sabbath, or seventh day of the week, to the first, made the Third Commandment refer to Sunday as the day to be kept holy as the Lord's Day. The Council of Trent (Sess. VI, can. xix) condemns those who deny that the Ten Commandments are binding on Christians." The Catholic Encyclopedia, Commandments of God, Volume IV, © 1908 by Robert Appleton Company, Online Edition © 1999 by Kevin Knight, Nihil Obstat - Remy Lafort, Censor Imprimatur - +John M. Farley, Archbishop of New York, page 153.

''The [Roman Catholic] Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of the divine, infallible authority given to her by her founder, Jesus Christ. The Protestant claiming the Bible to be the only guide of faith, has no warrant for observing Sunday. In this matter the Seventh-day Adventist is the only consistent Protestant.'' The Catholic Universe Bulletin, August 14, 1942, p. 4.

"All of us believe many things in regard to religion that we do not find in the Bible. For example, nowhere in the Bible do we find that Christ or the Apostles ordered that the Sabbath be changed from Saturday to Sunday. We have the commandment of God given to Moses to keep holy the Sabbath Day, that is the 7th day of the week, Saturday. Today most Christians keep Sunday because it has been revealed to us by the Church outside the Bible." The Catholic Virginian, "To Tell You The Truth,” Vol. 22, No. 49 (Oct. 3, 1947).

"... you may read the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, and you will not find a single line authorizing the sanctification of Sunday. The Scriptures enforce the religious observance of Saturday, a day which we never sanctify." The Faith of Our Fathers, by James Cardinal Gibbons, Archbishop of Baltimore, 88th edition, page 89. Originally published in 1876, republished and Copyright 1980 by TAN Books and Publishers, Inc., pages 72-73.

'Deny the authority of the Church and you have no adequate or reasonable explanation or justification for the substitution of Sunday for Saturday in the Third - Protestant Fourth - Commandment of God... The Church is above the Bible, and this transference of Sabbath observance is proof of that fact.'' Catholic Record, September 1, 1923.

"But since Saturday, not Sunday, is specified in the Bible, isn't it curious that non-Catholics who profess to take their religion directly from the Bible and not the Church, observe Sunday instead of Saturday? Yes, of course, it is inconsistent; but this change was made about fifteen centuries before Protestantism was born, and by that time the custom was universally observed. They have continued the custom, even though it rests upon the authority of the Catholic Church and not upon an explicit text in the Bible. That observance remains as a reminder of the Mother Church from which the non-Catholic sects broke away - like a boy running away from home but still carrying in his pocket a picture of his mother or a lock of her hair." The Faith of Millions

"Perhaps the boldest thing, the most revolutionary change the Church ever did, happened in the first century. The holy day, the Sabbath, was changed from Saturday to Sunday. "The Day of the Lord" (dies Dominica) was chosen, not from any directions noted in the Scriptures, but from the Church's sense of its own power. The day of resurrection, the day of Pentecost, fifty days later, came on the first day of the week. So this would be the new Sabbath. People who think that the Scriptures should be the sole authority, should logically become 7th Day Adventists, and keep Saturday holy." Sentinel, Pastor's page, Saint Catherine Catholic Church, Algonac, Michigan, May 21, 1995

'If Protestants would follow the Bible, they would worship God on the Sabbath Day. In keeping the Sunday they are following a law of the Catholic Church.' Albert Smith, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Baltimore, replying for the Cardinal, in a letter dated February 10, 1920.

'It is well to remind the Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, and all other Christians, that the Bible does not support them anywhere in their observance of Sunday. Sunday is an institution of the Roman Catholic Church, and those who observe the day observe a commandment of the Catholic Church.'Priest Brady, in an address, reported in the Elizabeth, NJ on March 18, 1903. This Rock

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quoting from the SDA church executive committee on the churches understanding-interpretation of Ellen White's words clearly disputes what you quoted.

Not only that, it demonstrates they follow SDA teachings before God's Word.
They have to otherwise they get kicked out of the SDA

So, there's no way they will ever contradict the teachings of their home office... who has spys out looking for rebellious SDA members. There are testimonies from SDA peoples out on the net where they talk about SDA members getting booted from their religion for saying things the home office has not authorized.

This shows cult like behavior and that they believe they are the only ones who are right with God...

History clearly shows how the Pagan worship of Sol Invictus and festivals got into the early church and it was never sanctioned by scripture or given by Christ and the Apostles.

And yet... Jesus and the Apostles never taught anybody to observe Saturday sabbath... or Sunday either even though we see numerous instances of the Apostles gathering on Sunday long before the the devil caused the roman empire to make Christianity it's state religion for the propose of watering down the Gospel (which became the catholic cult).

This is where the SDA peoples dropped the ball in support of their own religion.

They should have written their own version of the Bible and added to it a few places where Jesus is supposedly saying "and thou shalt obervest they Saturday sabbatheth if thou wantest to goeth to Heaveneth"

That way they could point to the SDA translation of the Bible and claim Jesus did teach His followers to observe Saturday sabbath.... so as we see in God's Word, Jesus and His Apostles never taught this at all.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

1. the papacy’s “day . . . is past” refers to the 1,260 years of papal supremacy when she persecuted God’s people;
  2. Protestants, in harmony with the second angel’s message (Rev. 14:8), would begin to persecute them also. That Ellen White did not consider the papacy’s persecuting work to be over is made clear in succeeding paragraphs, which indicate additional phases of persecution:
  3. Protestant churches, together with the Catholic church, would come against those who “keep the Sabbath and disregard Sunday,” and
  4. the Catholic church would lend its influence to Protestants in the United States to destroy God’s people.
Clearly, according to Ellen White, Catholics and Protestants will be colluding together over a considerable period of time in persecuting God’s people.

The next major statement, published in 1884, elaborates on this initial 1850 statement, and makes clear that the focus on the papacy’s time being “past” is to show that the second angel’s message of Babylon being fallen refers specifically to apostate Protestantism: “The word of God teaches that these scenes [of persecution during the period of papal supremacy] are to be repeated as papists and Protestants shall unite for the exaltation of the Sunday.”

In conclusion, Ellen G. White’s position regarding the papacy and its promotion of Sunday sacredness remained consistent. Later statements, including those published in the various editions of The Great Controversy, are an elaboration of her earliest statement, not a change of position. For example, in 1900, she wrote, “When the test comes, it will be clearly shown what the mark of the beast is. It is the keeping of Sunday.”

Their doctrinal belief though is they deny you your salvation if you are a sabbath breaking Sunday worshiper. They teach then the person has taken the mark of the beast and belongs to Satan and not God. They are totally works of the law oriented and not grace for salvation as being a free gift to those who believe. They therefore condemn to hell the vast majority of all Christians for the last 2000 years.

And you, Sir, are a great carrier of tales on a malicious crusade.

How does all of your incredibly voluminous, copy-and-paste cross-posting prove that Adventists, in general, believe all non-Adventists are lost and headed for hell, or conflict with the following statement in any way?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 16:16
The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

The law and the prophets... stopped being taught with John the Baptist.

Now, there is a new house, the Body of Jesus Christ! Under the New Covenant that the Lord said would come forth, we see Jesus Christ as the High Priest. The old covenant with it’s laws and regulations have been taken away because thru Jesus Christ a new and better covenant has come in to place.

Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second. (God said He
would make a New Covenant - see Jeremiah 31:31-34)

But now hath Jesus obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also Jesus is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.

And with the changing of the priesthood, God’s Word tells us there is also a change of the law.

For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Can't be the same law.

Verses 16-18 of Hebrews 7 says the law that is being changed is carnal/fleshly, weak, and unprofitable:

Heb 7:16-18
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. 17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. 18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

But Romans 7 says that the law is spiritual, holy, just and good.

Rom 7:12-14
12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Verse 14 even directly contrasts "spiritual" with "carnal," thoroughly impeaching the theory that Hebrews 7 is talking about the moral law being changed.

Are we really supposed to believe that "carnal" = "spiritual" and that "weak and unprofitable" = "holy, just, and good?"

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now, here you are on the sabbath... working, and causing others to have to work.

You're not representing the sabbath very well seeing you are breaking the law concerning the sabbath

Hebrews 3:5,6
And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after; But Christ as a Son over His own house; whose house are we, IF we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
(God said He would make a New Covenant - see Jeremiah 31:31-34)

Can't be the same law.

Verses 16-18 of Hebrews 7 says the law that is being changed is carnal/fleshly, weak, and unprofitable:

Heb 7:16-18
16 Who is made, not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an endless life. 17 For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. 18 For there is verily a disannulling of the commandment going before for the weakness and unprofitableness thereof.

But Romans 7 says that the law is spiritual, holy, just and good.

Rom 7:12-14
12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good. 13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Verse 14 even directly contrasts "spiritual" with "carnal," thoroughly impeaching the theory that Hebrews 7 is talking about the moral law being changed.

Are we really supposed to believe that "carnal" = "spiritual" and that "weak and unprofitable" = "holy, just, and good?"