Did Jesus Himself claim to be God?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

belantos

Nov 12, 2010
Here's one the unbelieving Jews still... struggle with today...

Matt 22:42-45
42 Saying, "What think ye of Christ? whose son is he?" They say unto Him, "The Son of David."
43 He saith unto them, "How then doth David in spirit call him Lord, saying,
44 'The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit Thou on My right hand, till I make Thine enemies Thy footstool?'
45 If David then call Him Lord, how is He his son?
(KJV)

Of, so you are telling me the Messiah is not the son of David!

Matthew 1:1 The record of the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah, the son of David, the son of Abraham

Check your facts.

Jesus simply elevates the conversation to a higher level and shows that in the Kingdom the Messiah will be David's master, for despite the fact that he is David's descendant, David will be his subject in the resurrection.

The LORD [Adonai = God] (Father) said unto my Lord [adoni = human master/king] (Jesus)... per David in Ps.110.

They still struggle with this too...

Isa 9:6-7
6 For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given: and the government shall be upon His shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
7 Of the increase of His government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
(KJV)

And especially this...

Isa 7:13-14
13 And he said, Hear ye now, O house of David; Is it a small thing for you to weary men, but will ye weary my God also?
14 Therefore the Lord Himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive ["the young maiden is pregnant"], and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.
(KJV) <=== This was fulfilled in the time of Ahaz, for he was to see the fulfilment of this prophecy

And because they REFUSE to understand that, which is FROM their Hebrew manuscripts the scribes, priests, and Pharisees all had access to, they try to assign the following as Hellenist teaching... [It is you who refuse to take off your Hellenistic glasses when you read the KJV (mis)translation]

Matt 1:22-23
22 Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
23 'Behold, a virgin shall be with Child, and shall bring forth a Son, and they shall call His name Emmanuel', which being interpreted is, 'God with us'.
(KJV) <=== Lots of other people had "God" in their names. Joshua (Yah-shua), Jeremi-yah, etc, but it didn't make the God.

The Christ IS God per the Old Testament Hebrew manuscripts. And Jesus of Nazareth IS The Christ, Immanuel which means 'God with us'. <=== No. Only as per your Hellenistic (mis)interpretation of the scriptures.

It's time for those who claim to be God's people to wake up to that Truth of God's Word. It CANNOT be taken out of the Hebrew manuscripts of God's Word. It's been there all along that He Who would fulfill that Child being born of a virgin is the very Christ God's prophets were given to write about. Trying to assign Christ (Messiah) outside The Triune Godhead as Hellenist teaching is about as ignorant as saying that prophecy in Isaiah never existed!

I think it is time for all those who truly love God to hear His call and come out of the Paganised Hellenistic idolatrous Babylonian system. Many hears His voice and repent from worshipping their pantheon of three gods.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA

Veteran,

Along the same lines, you might be interested to know that
an anointed Messianic Christian evangelist said:
the best proof that Jesus is the Messiah is Daniel 9:24-27,
and the 2nd best proof is Isaiah 52:12 -- 53:12.

belantos

Nov 12, 2010

Veteran,

Along the same lines, you might be interested to know that
an anointed Messianic Christian evangelist said:
the best proof that Jesus is the Messiah is Daniel 9:24-27,
and the 2nd best proof is Isaiah 52:12 -- 53:12.

John, the debate is not whether Jesus is the anointed of God (Messiah), but whether he is God himself in the flesh.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[font="tahoma][b][color="#006400"]<=== Messiah, along with all the righteous pre-existed from the foundation of the world in the counsels of God[/b][/font][/color]
[font="tahoma][b] [/b][/font][/color]
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"]Verse?
[/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font]
[color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma][b][color="#006400"]<=== The Greek term "ego eimi" is used by others in the NT - do they all claim deity?[/color][/b][/font][/color]
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"]Who else used "I AM" as a name or even hinted at it, besides God the Father?
[/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font]
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"](HI Miss Hepburn!)[/color][/font]

belantos

Nov 12, 2010
[font="tahoma][b][color="#006400"]<=== Messiah, along with all the righteous pre-existed from the foundation of the world in the counsels of God[/b][/font][/color]
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"]Verse?
[/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font]
[color="#5D5D5D"][font="tahoma][b][color="#006400"]<=== The Greek term "ego eimi" is used by others in the NT - do they all claim deity?[/color][/b][/font][/color]
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"]Who else used "I AM" as a name or even hinted at it, besides God the Father?
[/font]
[font="tahoma] [/font]
[font="tahoma][color="#000080"](HI Miss Hepburn!)[/color][/font]

The reference here is to the book of Enoch:

Jude 1:
14It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones

From the Jewish Encyclopedia:

"Enoch, in that book, speaks of an assembly of the holy and righteous ones in heaven under the wings of the Lord of the spirits, with the Elect (the Messiah) in their midst (39:4-7, 40:5, 61:12); he mentions especially the "first fathers and the righteous who have dwelt in that place [paradise] from the beginning" (70:4). In fact, it is a "congregation of the righteous" in heaven that will appear in the Messianic time (38:3, 53:6, 62:8), and "the Elect, who had been hidden, will be revealed with them" (48:6, 62:7). Likewise, it is said in IV Esd. 7:28, 13:52, 14:9 that "the hidden Messiah will be revealed together with all those that are with him.""

As you can see this is an ancient Jewish belief.

Here are a number of verses when someone claimed to be "ego eimi" (I am):

Timothy 1:
15 It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.
5 πιστος ο λογος και πασης αποδοχης αξιος οτι χριστος ιησους ηλθεν εις τον κοσμον αμαρτωλους σωσαι ων πρωτος ειμι εγω

Philippians 4:
11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
11 ουχ οτι καθ υστερησιν λεγω εγω γαρ εμαθον εν οις ειμι αυταρκης ειναι

2 Corinthians 12:
11 I have become foolish; you yourselves compelled me. Actually I should have been commended by you, for in no respect was I inferior to the most eminent apostles, even though I am a nobody.
11 γεγονα αφρων υμεις με ηναγκασατε εγω γαρ ωφειλον υφ υμων συνιστασθαι ουδεν γαρ υστερησα των υπερ λιαν αποστολων ει και ουδεν ειμι

1 Corinthians 15:
10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.
10 χαριτι δε θεου ειμι ο ειμι και η χαρις αυτου η εις εμε ου κενη εγενηθη αλλα περισσοτερον αυτων παντων εκοπιασα ουκ εγω δε αλλα η χαρις του θεου συν εμοι

"I am what I am" - sounds like what God said to Moses ("I am who I am")

1 Corinthians 15:
9 For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
9 εγω γαρ ειμι ο ελαχιστος των αποστολων ος ουκ ειμι ικανος καλεισθαι αποστολος διοτι εδιωξα την εκκλησιαν του θεου

1 Corinthians 3:
4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?
4 οταν γαρ λεγη τις εγω μεν ειμι παυλου ετερος δε εγω απολλω ουκ ανθρωποι εστε

1 Corinthians 1:
12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.”
12 λεγω δε τουτο οτι εκαστος υμων λεγει εγω μεν ειμι παυλου εγω δε απολλω εγω δε κηφα εγω δε χριστου

Romans 11:
13 But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry
13 υμιν δε λεγω τοις εθνεσιν εφ οσον μεν ουν ειμι εγω εθνων αποστολος την διακονιαν μου δοξαζω

Romans 11:
1 I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
1 λεγω ουν μη απωσατο ο θεος τον λαον αυτου μη γενοιτο και γαρ εγω ισραηλιτης ειμι εκ σπερματος αβρααμ φυλης βενιαμιν

Romans 7:
14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.
14 οιδαμεν γαρ οτι ο νομος πνευματικος εστιν εγω δε σαρκινος ειμι πεπραμενος υπο την αμαρτιαν

Acts 26:
29 And Paul said, “I would wish to God, that whether in a short or long time, not only you, but also all who hear me this day, might become such as I am, except for these chains.”
29 ο δε παυλος ευξαιμην αν τω θεω και εν ολιγω και εν μεγαλω ου μονον σε αλλα και παντας τους ακουοντας μου σημερον γενεσθαι τοιουτους οποιος και εγω ειμι παρεκτος των δεσμων τουτων

Acts 23:
6 But perceiving that one group were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, Paul began crying out in the Council, “Brethren, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees; I am on trial for the hope and resurrection of the dead!”
6 γνους δε ο παυλος οτι το εν μερος εστιν σαδδουκαιων το δε ετερον φαρισαιων εκραζεν εν τω συνεδριω ανδρες αδελφοι εγω φαρισαιος ειμι υιος φαρισαιων περι ελπιδος και αναστασεως νεκρων κρινομαι

Acts 22:
3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city, educated under Gamaliel, strictly according to the law of our fathers, being zealous for God just as you all are today.
3 εγω ειμι ανηρ ιουδαιος γεγεννημενος εν ταρσω της κιλικιας ανατεθραμμενος δε εν τη πολει ταυτη παρα τους ποδας γαμαλιηλ πεπαιδευμενος κατα ακριβειαν του πατρωου νομου ζηλωτης υπαρχων του θεου καθως παντες υμεις εστε σημερον

Acts 21:
39 But Paul said, “I am a Jew of Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no insignificant city; and I beg you, allow me to speak to the people.”
39 ειπεν δε ο παυλος εγω ανθρωπος μεν ειμι ιουδαιος ταρσευς της κιλικιας ουκ ασημου πολεως πολιτης δεομαι δε σου επιτρεψον μοι λαλησαι προς τον λαον

Acts 13:
25 And while John was completing his course, he kept saying, ‘What do you suppose that I am? I am not He. But behold, one is coming after me the sandals of whose feet I am not worthy to untie.’

25 ως δε επληρου ιωαννης τον δρομον ελεγεν τι εμε υπονοειτε ειναι ουκ ειμι εγω αλλ ιδου ερχεται μετ εμε ου ουκ ειμι αξιος το υποδημα των ποδων λυσαι

Acts 10:
26 But Peter raised him up, saying, “Stand up; I too am just a man.”
26 ο δε πετρος ηγειρεν αυτον λεγων αναστηθι και εγω αυτος ανθρωπος ειμι

Acts 10:
21 Peter went down to the men and said, “Behold, I am the one you are looking for; what is the reason for which you have come?”
21 καταβας δε πετρος προς τους ανδρας ειπεν ιδου εγω ειμι ον ζητειτε τις η αιτια δι ην παρεστε

I think I already posted these verses.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Belantos proclaims himself to be expert in Greek and Hebrew, however nearly everything he posts about the Bible contradicts our English Bibles. He challenges nearly every Biblical doctrine. You need help belantos. You need Jesus/God the Savior.

belantos

Nov 12, 2010
Belantos proclaims himself to be expert in Greek and Hebrew, however nearly everything he posts about the Bible contradicts our English Bibles. He challenges nearly every Biblical doctrine. You need help belantos. You need Jesus/God the Savior.

Did you actually try to understand my post? No, that would have been too hard for you because you are too proud and unteachable. You need to repent and turn to God because you don't know Him.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Did you actually try to understand my post? No, that would have been too hard for you because you are too proud and unteachable. You need to repent and turn to God because you don't know Him.
Which God are you talking about??? Yours or the God of the Bible?

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
John, the debate is not whether Jesus is the anointed of God (Messiah), but whether he is God himself in the flesh.
Yes, but this debate of yours is so ridiculous!

Haven't you seen the 70+ verses that all POINT TO the fact that:
the Scriptures show-teach-reveal:
Jesus is God
Jesus is equal to the Father
Jesus is the Creator
Jesus is the Sustainer now
Jesus is the Giver of eternal life

Now, this all stops being so ridiculous, IF you maintain that
God's most Holy and Precious Scriptures were drastically altered to teach the Triune God
... and IF you can show some reasonable evidence for such.

But, since the Muslims in 1700 years have failed to do this, you will not be successful.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The reference here is to the book of Enoch:

Jude 1:
14It was also about these that Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied, saying, "Behold, the Lord comes with ten thousands of his holy ones

From the Jewish Encyclopedia:

"Enoch, in that book, speaks of an assembly of the holy and righteous ones in heaven under the wings of the Lord of the spirits, with the Elect (the Messiah) in their midst (39:4-7, 40:5, 61:12); he mentions especially the "first fathers and the righteous who have dwelt in that place [paradise] from the beginning" (70:4). In fact, it is a "congregation of the righteous" in heaven that will appear in the Messianic time (38:3, 53:6, 62:8), and "the Elect, who had been hidden, will be revealed with them" (48:6, 62:7). Likewise, it is said in IV Esd. 7:28, 13:52, 14:9 that "the hidden Messiah will be revealed together with all those that are with him.""

As you can see this is an ancient Jewish belief.

Here are a number of verses when someone claimed to be "ego eimi" (I am):

Timothy 1:
15 It is a trustworthy statement, deserving full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, among whom I am foremost of all.
5 πιστος ο λογος και πασης αποδοχης αξιος οτι χριστος ιησους ηλθεν εις τον κοσμον αμαρτωλους σωσαι ων πρωτος ειμι εγω

Philippians 4:
11 Not that I speak from want, for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.
11 ουχ οτι καθ υστερησιν λεγω εγω γαρ εμαθον εν οις ειμι αυταρκης ειναι

2 Corinthians 12:
11 I have become foolish; you yourselves compelled me. Actually I should have been commended by you, for in no respect was I inferior to the most eminent apostles, even though I am a nobody.
11 γεγονα αφρων υμεις με ηναγκασατε εγω γαρ ωφειλον υφ υμων συνιστασθαι ουδεν γαρ υστερησα των υπερ λιαν αποστολων ει και ουδεν ειμι

1 Corinthians 15:
10 But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain; but I labored even more than all of them, yet not I, but the grace of God with me.
10 χαριτι δε θεου ειμι ο ειμι και η χαρις αυτου η εις εμε ου κενη εγενηθη αλλα περισσοτερον αυτων παντων εκοπιασα ουκ εγω δε αλλα η χαρις του θεου συν εμοι

"I am what I am" - sounds like what God said to Moses ("I am who I am")

1 Corinthians 15:
9 For I am the least of the apostles, and not fit to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.
9 εγω γαρ ειμι ο ελαχιστος των αποστολων ος ουκ ειμι ικανος καλεισθαι αποστολος διοτι εδιωξα την εκκλησιαν του θεου

1 Corinthians 3:
4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not mere men?
4 οταν γαρ λεγη τις εγω μεν ειμι παυλου ετερος δε εγω απολλω ουκ ανθρωποι εστε

1 Corinthians 1:
12 Now I mean this, that each one of you is saying, “I am of Paul,” and “I of Apollos,” and “I of Cephas,” and “I of Christ.”
12 λεγω δε τουτο οτι εκαστος υμων λεγει εγω μεν ειμι παυλου εγω δε απολλω εγω δε κηφα εγω δε χριστου

Romans 11:
13 But I am speaking to you who are Gentiles. Inasmuch then as I am an apostle of Gentiles, I magnify my ministry
13 υμιν δε λεγω τοις εθνεσιν εφ οσον μεν ουν ειμι εγω εθνων αποστολος την διακονιαν μου δοξαζω

Romans 11:
1 I say then, God has not rejected His people, has He? May it never be! For I too am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
1 λεγω ουν μη απωσατο ο θεος τον λαον αυτου μη γενοιτο και γαρ εγω ισραηλιτης ειμι εκ σπερματος αβρααμ φυλης βενιαμιν

Romans 7:
14 For we know that the Law is spiritual, but I am of flesh, sold into bondage to sin.
14 οιδαμεν γαρ οτι ο νομος πνευματικος εστιν εγω δε σαρκινος ειμι πεπραμενος υπο την αμαρτιαν

Acts 26:
29 And Paul said, “I would wish to God, that whether in a short or long time, not only you, but also all who hear me this day, might become such as I am, except for these chains.”
29 ο δε παυλος ευξαιμην αν τω θεω και εν ολιγω και εν μεγαλω ου μονον σε αλλα και παντας τους ακουοντας μου σημερον γενεσθαι τοιουτους οποιος και εγω ειμι παρεκτος των δεσμων τουτων

Acts 23:
6 But perceiving that one group were Sadducees and the other Pharisees, Paul began crying out in the Council, “Brethren, I am a Pharisee, a son of Pharisees; I am on trial for the hope and resurrection of the dead!”
6 γνους δε ο παυλος οτι το εν μερος εστιν σαδδουκαιων το δε ετερον φαρισαιων εκραζεν εν τω συνεδριω ανδρες αδελφοι εγω φαρισαιος ειμι υιος φαρισαιων περι ελπιδος και αναστασεως νεκρων κρινομαι

Acts 22:
3 “I am a Jew, born in Tarsus of Cilicia, but brought up in this city, educated under Gamaliel, strictly according to the law of our fathers, being zealous for God just as you all are today.
3 εγω ειμι ανηρ ιουδαιος γεγεννημενος εν ταρσω της κιλικιας ανατεθραμμενος δε εν τη πολει ταυτη παρα τους ποδας γαμαλιηλ πεπαιδευμενος κατα ακριβειαν του πατρωου νομου ζηλωτης υπαρχων του θεου καθως παντες υμεις εστε σημερον

Acts 21:
39 But Paul said, “I am a Jew of Tarsus in Cilicia, a citizen of no insignificant city; and I beg you, allow me to speak to the people.”
39 ειπεν δε ο παυλος εγω ανθρωπος μεν ειμι ιουδαιος ταρσευς της κιλικιας ουκ ασημου πολεως πολιτης δεομαι δε σου επιτρεψον μοι λαλησαι προς τον λαον

Acts 13:
25 And while John was completing his course, he kept saying, ‘What do you suppose that I am? I am not He. But behold, one is coming after me the sandals of whose feet I am not worthy to untie.’

25 ως δε επληρου ιωαννης τον δρομον ελεγεν τι εμε υπονοειτε ειναι ουκ ειμι εγω αλλ ιδου ερχεται μετ εμε ου ουκ ειμι αξιος το υποδημα των ποδων λυσαι

Acts 10:
26 But Peter raised him up, saying, “Stand up; I too am just a man.”
26 ο δε πετρος ηγειρεν αυτον λεγων αναστηθι και εγω αυτος ανθρωπος ειμι

Acts 10:
21 Peter went down to the men and said, “Behold, I am the one you are looking for; what is the reason for which you have come?”
21 καταβας δε πετρος προς τους ανδρας ειπεν ιδου εγω ειμι ον ζητειτε τις η αιτια δι ην παρεστε

I think I already posted these verses.

The phrase 'I am' is used as a pronoun in the Bible by Paul and others - not as a title. Only God uses it as a title.

The Book of Enoch is not considered scripture by Jews or Christians.