Did Peter Really Walk On The Water Or Was It Symbolic ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Notwithstanding the lessons behind the miracles (the lessons are opened to interpretations), the miracles themselves happened in real time in real space with real flesh and blood subjects. I too have been at this since 1974 and it doesn't take a genius to know the subtlety of Liberal Theology in their denial of the supernatural miracles of Jesus.
I am not denying any miracles at all. but can see more to it.

When talking to a non believer, they believe only that he walked on water to, as that is all they can see.
I can see more than just the walking on the water miracle and see it fits straight in with the OT as i have said.
The loaves and fish has to do with Jesus showing the people who he is and we see these things all in the OT and it proves it all as to who he is. as the OT is a blue print and if it does not fit in to it then it may be false.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Maybe foreigner it is more to do with the Spirit at work in the Bible. so if one has an ear ?
And one can discern this when one has more understanding in the Bible.
More of an understanding than just parables.
I find the way some denominations teach is only just like in a typical school but the fact is they will never learn much at all especially because they have not the experience in depth. so they come out of school thinking they know it all and then bag others who have many more years of experience on them.

And i find this the same as in my job that some kid that just has left school starts telling me how to do my trade and i have been doing it from 1974 and the fact is they know bugger all. ^_^

-- And "Maybe" the what it says in the Bible is exactly what transpired.
You have provided nothing in any of your posts to give credence to the contrary.

I have reread your post several times and must confess that you appear to be speaking in a language that only you yourself are fluent in.

For example:
"She works in mysterious ways the gifts of the Holy Spirit."

Who is "she" and what indications do you have that it wasn't the Holy Spirit that had the authors of the Gospel record Jesus walking on the water exactly like it happened?

You provided absolutely nothing that even begins to refute (or even seriously questions) what I said in my last post.

To sum up:

You are making a claim about Jesus walking on the water being nothing but a parable, but you have provided absolutely NOTHING to support that idea except saying the word "maybe."

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
She is the Holy Spirit.
The she is as in like as we call a ship she etc.

Someone could read the Bible and miss everything as in they don't get it and they just dismiss the whole thing as rubbish. like an atheist does.. :angry: now i can understand where they are coming from because i could not make head or tails about much of it my self in the beginning but in time i got to understand where it was coming from. as the Holy Spirit showed me many things that i just did not see before.
I have read the Bible my self with out anyone telling me what is what.( the easy way ) so i am not a person that is just looking for a guru to tell me what is what. so if the Spirit has not shown me the truth i will take what others say as with a grain of salt. ^_^
And i am not saying it's a parable. B)
Do you think that the feeding of the 5000 is just only that and noting other or the 12 baskets is just that. :mellow:
Do you demand a sign ? :blink:
Do you want people only to see Jesus walking on water as only just that and noting other than just that and just reject Peter as nothing as well. :lol:

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Uhhhm....do you have any biblical proof...at all....for that??
I thought objects are called She as in my car i could say to you look their she is.
We have a car industry hear in Australia and when the company General Motors Holden made their first car, they advertised it saying 'She's a beauty'.
So you do understand that it has nothing to do with a woman at all don't you and i think that the younger generation do not use the word 'She' in this way but in my day it was common especially with the Italians.
So the Holy Spirit is referred to as She because of being great.
Personified ?
She is a great nation ?

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I thought objects are called She as in my car i could say to you look their she is.
We have a car industry hear in Australia and when the company General Motors Holden made their first car, they advertised it saying 'She's a beauty'.
So you do understand that it has nothing to do with a woman at all don't you and i think that the younger generation do not use the word 'She' in this way but in my day it was common especially with the Italians.
So the Holy Spirit is referred to as She because of being great.
Personified ?
She is a great nation ?

Yes, but the Holy Spirit is not an object, He is God. I too am from Australia, and I am well aware of how the word "she" is used to refer to certain things. But again, the Holy Spirit is not a thing or an object, He is God. All throughout the bible God, in all His deity is referred to as male. God the Father, God the Son. I would think that if you wanted to bestow greatness on something, then that would be enough. God is 'male' and therefore, so should we refer to the Holy Spirit, as He is definitely a separate person within the Trinity, and nothing in scripture leads us to even consider Him being 'female' in scripture's vernacular...even in your sense of the word.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jn 16:7-8
7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
� CWSB

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
Yes, but the Holy Spirit is not an object, He is God. I too am from Australia, and I am well aware of how the word "she" is used to refer to certain things. But again, the Holy Spirit is not a thing or an object, He is God. All throughout the bible God, in all His deity is referred to as male. God the Father, God the Son. I would think that if you wanted to bestow greatness on something, then that would be enough. God is 'male' and therefore, so should we refer to the Holy Spirit, as He is definitely a separate person within the Trinity, and nothing in scripture leads us to even consider Him being 'female' in scripture's vernacular...even in your sense of the word.
I am not calling God She at all, the Spirit in it's self is genderless i think in it's self being the Spirit.
Jesus is a man yes.
God the Father a man ? no ? but i think it refers to a type of quality maybe a position of authority in a way.
Is a female lesser that a man i think not at all, but has a different position. never is she lesser or inferior.
And i was on about the gifts as she in number 39
The Spirit is the Spirit the gift could be referred to as She, because it is something you have, it's a gift ! you can take it or leave it but the actual Spirit is something other in it's self's working and it is not restrained at all, in it's self it is totally free.

Jn 16:7-8
7Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
� CWSB
The Comforter is the Spirit of Jesus Christ and there was no Comforter until Jesus came but there was the Spirit before Christ but in this the Comforter we know as Jesus Christ him self bestowing his gifts and we know it's coming from him. as i said before the Spirit is unrestrained and Jesus did the will of the Spirit only and we can see Christ at work as Emmanuel.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
I am not calling God She at all, the Spirit in it's self is genderless i think in it's self being the Spirit.
Jesus is a man yes.
God the Father a man ? no ? but i think it refers to a type of quality maybe a position of authority in a way.
Is a female lesser that a man i think not at all, but has a different position. never is she lesser or inferior.
And i was on about the gifts as she in number 39
The Spirit is the Spirit the gift could be referred to as She, because it is something you have, it's a gift ! you can take it or leave it but the actual Spirit is something other in it's self's working and it is not restrained at all, in it's self it is totally free.

This is not really the place to go into it, but I have to disagree with you. If at any point we decide to start referring to God as something other than what He has chosen to reveal Himself to us as, we begin to dapple in dangerous area's.

lawrance

Mar 30, 2011
"She" used in that way as got noting to do with a woman at all when referring to an object as such.

Someone talking to me about my car and says how many miles to the gallon does she get, i say she can do 22 MPG. ? end of story as it has noting to do with blasphemy at all.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
Okay...I think this really could use some more on it, but as it's kind of derailing this thread, I'm going to start a new one...