Did Samuel Appear To The Witch At Endor?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
This so-called prophecy of "Samuel" relates basically the same information found at I Samuel 15:26-28 ; except for the added "tomorrow". And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel. And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent. And Samuel said unto him, The LORD hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbor of thine, that is better than thou.

Moreover, the Lord will give Israel also with you into the hand of the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons shall be with me...." 1Sam. 28:19
Taking into account what happened in Chapters 28-31, Saul did not die until three or four more days had passed. So this added "tomorrow" by this demon at Endor was incorrect. And regarding the death of Saul's sons, one of his sons lived on after this. (2Sam. 2:8,10,12)

Thank you Truthquest for supplying additional passages for our perusal. Many times I have been mistaken on a subject from failure to fully investigate the circumstances, i.e, his sons did not all die. That a true Prophet of God ever failed in his predictions has never been recorded in the Scriptures. This woman/prophet business should be a no brainer for those who know their God as God.

fivesense

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
Pegg, I'm sorry but your arguments don’t really carry any weight. The terms you use to dismiss these verses are basically the same terms I could use to dismiss all of your verses. They are all poetic, phrophetic or, as Paul (the contributor, not the Apostle) pointed out, concerning the body. You cannot get around the fact thast Jesus said to the thief before the sun has set today. I’m going to finish with Jesus’ own words - Matthew 22:32.

Ok, thats fair enough. So i guess then we need to go back to the original writings to see what the writers wrote. I have already posted much information about what the hebrew and greek words mean but perhaps if these meanings are still not satisfactory you might be intersted to know what christian scholars say about the original words or what the jews say about them.

Its been known for a very long time that the english meaning of soul is not the same as what the bible writers meant. The idea that later christians (3-4th century) adopted came from pagan greek philiosphers.
Plato wrote about the soul in one of his works and quoted Socrates as saying “The soul, . . . if it departs pure, dragging with it nothing of the body, . . . goes away into that which is like itself, into the invisible, divine, immortal, and wise, and when it arrives there it is happy, freed from error and folly and fear . . . and all the other human ills, and . . . lives in truth through all after time with the gods.”
The egyptions & Babylonians held similar views and that is why they buried their dead with food and material goods becasue they thought they needed them for the afterlife. The greeks buried their dead with money to pay the ferryman who took them into the afterlife.

But the jews in Jesus day did not believe such ideas...they knew what the words of their language meant and Nephesh did not mean a separate part of mans physical body, it means the living person.
The Jewish Publication Society of America in an article to the The New York Times, October 12, 1962. wrote: “the Hebrew word in question here is ‘Nefesh.’ Other translators have interpreted it to mean ‘soul,’ which is completely inaccurate. The Bible does not say we have a soul. ‘Nefesh’ is the person himself, his need for food, the very blood in his veins, his being.”

The catholic church admit this fact even though they are the ones who allowed the idea of the immortal soul into the church in the first place.
The New Catholic Encyclopedia 1967, Vol. XIII, p. 467 says: “Nepes [ne′phesh] is a term of far greater extension than our ‘soul,’ signifying life (Ex 21.23; Dt 19.21) and its various vital manifestations: breathing (Gn 35.18; Jb 41.13[21]), blood [Gn 9.4; Dt 12.23; Ps 140(141).8], desire (2 Sm 3.21; Prv 23.2).
The soul in the O[ld] T[estament] means not a part of man, but the whole man—man as a living being. Similarly, in the N[ew] T[estament] it signifies human life: the life of an individual, conscious subject (Mt 2.20; 6.25; Lk 12.22-23; 14.26; Jn 10.11, 15, 17; 13.37).”

The New American Bible, in its “Glossary of Biblical Theology Terms” (pp. 27, 28), says: “In the New Testament, to ‘save one’s soul’ (Mk 8:35) does not mean to save some ‘spiritual’ part of man, as opposed to his ‘body’ (in the Platonic sense) but the whole person with emphasis on the fact that the person is living, desiring, loving and willing, etc., in addition to being concrete and physical.”

Adstar

Sep 17, 2009
This so-called prophecy of "Samuel" relates basically the same information found at I Samuel 15:26-28 ; except for the added "tomorrow". And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel. And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent. And Samuel said unto him, The LORD hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbor of thine, that is better than thou.

Moreover, the Lord will give Israel also with you into the hand of the Philistines, and tomorrow you and your sons shall be with me...." 1Sam. 28:19
Taking into account what happened in Chapters 28-31, Saul did not die until three or four more days had passed. So this added "tomorrow" by this demon at Endor was incorrect. And regarding the death of Saul's sons, one of his sons lived on after this. (2Sam. 2:8,10,12)

Unbelievable . You deny a clear prophecy that was confirmed by it coming to pass in favour of honoring the traditions of men over the clear Word of God. So be it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

truthquest

May 23, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unbelievable . You deny a clear prophecy that was confirmed by it coming to pass in favour of honoring the traditions of men over the clear Word of God. So be it.

spiritism- The belief that the dead communicate with the living. The practices or doctrines of those holding such a belief.

Traditions of men say spiritism is good and acceptable but God hates spiritism.
Traditions of men do not teach this: “When you come into the land which the LORD your God is giving you, you shall not learn to follow the abominations of those nations. There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire [an ancient occult practice], or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. For all who do these things are an abomination [detestable] to the LORD…” -Deuteronomy 18:9-12a

And the person who turns after mediums and familiar spirits to prostitute himself with them, I will set My face against that person and cut him off from his people. Leviticus 20:6
Scripture says that one of the reasons King Saul died was because he consulted a medium for guidance rather than God. Saul died because he was unfaithful to the LORD; he did not keep the word of the LORD and even consulted a medium for guidance, and did not inquire of the LORD. So the LORD put him to death and turned the kingdom over to David son of Jesse.1 Chronicles 10:13-14
Therefore hearken not ye to. . your enchanters, nor to your sorcerers, . . for they prophesy a lie unto you, to remove you far from your land. Jeremiah 27:9-10

Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery...of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God. Galations 5:19-21

Traditions of men are deep into the occult and spiritism. The way of man is not in himself: It is not in man that walks to direct his steps. There is a way which seems right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. Jer. 10:23; Prov. 14:12

fivesense

Mar 7, 2010
WI
There is a difference between a pea shooter and a cannon. The cannon requires a large portion of material to fulfill its design. The pea shooter does not. Those who can supply adequate portions of Holy Writings to confirm their position honor God, prove their metal, and truly are seeking to become mature in Christ as the Body of Christ. Those who carry only peas and straws do not provide adequate support for the rest of us, they only shoot and run away, aggravating instead of stimulating to faith. Be strong in the Lord, you who wield the sword of the spirit, for those who rely on flesh shall not prosper.
fivesense

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia

i think the point here is that Samuel spoke the prophecy about Sauls death BEFORE he died.

He died in 1 Samuel 25:1

so the prophecy had already been told to saul

Hawkins

Jan 16, 2007
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God can make use of the event to call out Samual to speak to Saul. Similarly, Moses and Elijah are called to talk to Jesus.

Soul is a Jew concept upheld by those following the Oral Torah which is the Jews majority including the famous Pharisees. And souls stay in Sheol after leaving the physical body. That's why the 7 additional Jew scrolls categorized as the Catholic canon led to the later on purgatory concept. Similarly, the same concept exists in other Jew scrolls such as the famous book of Enoch.

Soul, Sheol/Hades, Helll and eternal hell fire were not new concepts to the Jews in Jesus time. That's why they were even used them in one of His parables. Parable is the use of simple known concepts and terms to illustrate a less obvious point of view.

brionne

May 31, 2010
Australia
God can make use of the event to call out Samual to speak to Saul. Similarly, Moses and Elijah are called to talk to Jesus.

Soul is a Jew concept upheld by those following the Oral Torah which is the Jews majority including the famous Pharisees. And souls stay in Sheol after leaving the physical body. That's why the 7 additional Jew scrolls categorized as the Catholic canon led to the later on purgatory concept. Similarly, the same concept exists in other Jew scrolls such as the famous book of Enoch.

Soul, Sheol/Hades, Helll and eternal hell fire were not new concepts to the Jews in Jesus time. That's why they were even used them in one of His parables. Parable is the use of simple known concepts and terms to illustrate a less obvious point of view.

i apologise in advance for contradicting you here, but 'soul' in the sense of a separate part of the physical body was not a jewish concept but comes from pagan religions.

The jewish bible society even saw the need to remove the word from their modern Torahs because the meaning of the hebrew word was nothing like the current meaning.

The bible writers viewed the living person as a soul....even animals were called souls by the bible writers.