Did the Early Church worship on Sabbath?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly... Bob gets it! View attachment 40662

Sabbath rest and worship is not a 24/7 practice.

I'm still waiting for someone to produce some pre-Internet teaching/preaching/writing evidence that it is.

I can't find so much as a pre-Internet witness that this was a commonly held belief among lay people.

It is an entirely postmodern construct. Sunday-keeping has gotten to be very lenient over the past 50-100 years but it was always taught to be the object of the 4th commandment by mainstream Christianity.

I was there. I saw the whole thing.

Christ spent lots of time teaching people how to properly keep the Sabbath, and He indicated that it would still be kept 40 years after His death.

Luk 21:20
And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.

Mat 24:15-20
15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the Sabbath day:

I've experienced the rest and worship provided by the Sabbath day to which the 4th commandment refers.

And I've experienced the rest and worship that comes from resting from my own works as a means of salvation.

They have similarities but they are not the same thing and Christians suffer unnecessarily when they deprive themselves of either.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you expound more the above? Thank you.

It is simple justification by faith. All of our righteousness is as filthy rags. The best of our works on our most consecrated of days is trash compared to the spotless purity of the Son of God. This theme may be contemplated safely without limit. It is ennobling in a way that no other train of thought could possibly ever be. It is, in terms of merit toward atonement, completely separate from our deeds. Our works and devotions are mere pittance offerings compared to the divine record of performance by Christ that must stand in their stead. Gather up all the Scripture that we can and meditate on it hours a day, and we will never be in danger of trusting in ourselves for one whit of righteousness and, yet, we will also not fail to have the blessed example to follow.

:hearteyes:

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is, in terms of merit toward atonement, completely separate from our deeds.
Based on the rest of your post, the Atonement is completely separate from our deeds. IMHO
Is there "merit toward atonement"? (earned credit?)

All about Him. Not about us. Never was. (the Atonement, that is) Paid in full.

1 John 2:2 NIV
He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

/

• Love
Reactions: BarneyFife

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Based on the rest of your post, the Atonement is completely separate from our deeds. IMHO

He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

/

Couldn't agree more!

• Love

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my... the sabbatarians are going to be very highly upset with you for saying that.
funny-gif.40650

All of this antagonistic talk about allegedly upsetting people is characteristic of classic trollery.

And, of course, the laughing emoticon doesn't do much to hide your intentions.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

/
Couldn't agree more!

However, we are judged by our deeds as to whether we have appropriated the Atonement, which includes more than a Sacrifice. It also includes the removal of sin from the soul temple entirely.

He will render to each one according to his works... For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. (Romans 2:6, 13)

“If you love Me, keep My commandments." (John 14:15)