Dilema

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

naomi

Jul 17, 2008
I've been chatting to a guy at school recently who over the summer became a Christian (or so he says at any rate) but he has some really weird ideas about stuff - like that the Bible isn't 100% infaillible, that hell (fire and brimstone hell) isn't a real place and that we just keep getting reincarnated til we become in a relationship with God becuase hell is the physical pain etc that we experience on Earth therefore accoring to him Earth is Hell (as you can see he also believes in reincarnation)And so I want to try and explain to him in the nicest way possible that these things aren't biblically correct but he doesn't seem to accept any veiws other than his own, especially reading the true nature of the Bible - I mean I believe that the Bible is the word of God and that everything put into the Bible is God-inspired and God-breathed, whereas he believes that the apocrypha and such things are true and so feels that some parts of the Bible shouldn't be in the Bible and that some parts (or rather all parts) of the apocrypha should be in the BibleSo I guess I'm just asking for how to go about explaining that the Bible is the true word of God in a way that he might be able to accept and then from that to be able to show him that some of his ideas ad "theologies" as he calls them aren't biblically correct etcAlso, I want to ask prayer for my Christian Union at school becuase we're slightly divided on some issues (eg predestination and no I don't want this to turn into a discussion on predestination becuase I KNOW its a contraversial subject) but thats meaning that I'm listening to them and going 'well I agree with some of what you're saying' and so this is making me have to go away and think realyl hard about what I actually think on some stuff (not useful when you have loads of work to do for upper sixth anyway so your mind is rather taken up already) so I'd also kinda like to ask prayer that I'd sort out my beliefs and that they'd be biblical true beliefs as wellThis is probably a waffly complicated post but any replies will be GREATLY appreciated!!GBNaomix

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(naomi;59629)
I've been chatting to a guy at school recently who over the summer became a Christian (or so he says at any rate) but he has some really weird ideas about stuff - like that the Bible isn't 100% infaillible, that hell (fire and brimstone hell) isn't a real place and that we just keep getting reincarnated til we become in a relationship with God becuase hell is the physical pain etc that we experience on Earth therefore accoring to him Earth is Hell (as you can see he also believes in reincarnation)And so I want to try and explain to him in the nicest way possible that these things aren't biblically correct but he doesn't seem to accept any veiws other than his own, especially reading the true nature of the Bible - I mean I believe that the Bible is the word of God and that everything put into the Bible is God-inspired and God-breathed, whereas he believes that the apocrypha and such things are true and so feels that some parts of the Bible shouldn't be in the Bible and that some parts (or rather all parts) of the apocrypha should be in the BibleSo I guess I'm just asking for how to go about explaining that the Bible is the true word of God in a way that he might be able to accept and then from that to be able to show him that some of his ideas ad "theologies" as he calls them aren't biblically correct etcAlso, I want to ask prayer for my Christian Union at school becuase we're slightly divided on some issues (eg predestination and no I don't want this to turn into a discussion on predestination becuase I KNOW its a contraversial subject) but thats meaning that I'm listening to them and going 'well I agree with some of what you're saying' and so this is making me have to go away and think realyl hard about what I actually think on some stuff (not useful when you have loads of work to do for upper sixth anyway so your mind is rather taken up already) so I'd also kinda like to ask prayer that I'd sort out my beliefs and that they'd be biblical true beliefs as wellThis is probably a waffly complicated post but any replies will be GREATLY appreciated!!GBNaomix
Great...
rolleyes.gif
A guy who you are chatting who said who became a Christian over the summer has said something against what the bible says... I'll address on the idea's on he said, and counter his ideas of men.He said
like that the Bible isn't 100% infaillible
Mark 13:23 - But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things.He said
we just keep getting reincarnated til we become in a relationship with God becuase hell is the physical pain etc that we experience on Earth therefore accoring to him Earth is Hell
Genesis 1:1 - In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.Hebrews 9:27 - And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:......Yes, there is a Hell, which I called it the Lake of Fire (Revelation 20:14) but am confused by what you mean "fire and brimstone Hell"All I can say is that showing him scriptures is the only nice way I can think of... of course with Love that is.

naomi

Jul 17, 2008
(Jordan;59631)
Great...
rolleyes.gif
A guy who you are chatting who said who became a Christian over the summer has said something against what the bible says... I'll address on the idea's on he said, and counter his ideas of men.He saidMark 13:23 - But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things....
Yeah I know that showing him the Bible is the only way of going about it reallyand 'cause of everything thats going on CU atm I am mindful of 1 Corinthians 13 and 1 Corinthians 16v14 (that being 'do everything in love')but fire and brimstone hell I meant what it said in revleation - I just couldn't remember what the verse actually said lolThankyou! :)x

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(naomi;59632)
(Jordan;59631)
Great... A guy who you are chatting who said who became a Christian over the summer has said something against what the bible says... I'll address on the idea's on he said, and counter his ideas of men.He said
like that the Bible isn't 100% infaillible
Mark 13:23 - But take ye heed: behold, I have foretold you all things....Yeah I know that showing him the Bible is the only way of going about it reallyand 'cause of everything thats going on CU atm I am mindful of 1 Corinthians 13 and 1 Corinthians 16v14 (that being 'do everything in love')but fire and brimstone hell I meant what it said in revleation - I just couldn't remember what the verse actually said lolThankyou! :)xOne more thing...He said
we just keep getting reincarnated til we become in a relationship with God becuase hell is the physical pain etc that we experience on Earth therefore accoring to him Earth is Hell
Hebrews 9:27 - And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:Ecclesiastes 12:7 - Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.II Corinthians 5:8 - We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord....Ezekiel 18:4 - Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.Ezekiel 18:20 - The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.Revelation 20:14 - And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death....I know I quoted the same quote, however, I decided to exposed more of that junk he said, and made it more in depth.
smile.gif

naomi

Jul 17, 2008
lol yeah. I mean I was trying to find stuff on that sort of thing but I didn't really know where to look at all (something tells me I need to become more familiar with my bible...)also, he takes Matthew 11v13-15 to be literal so I've been having some difficulty trying to convince him that reincarnation is untrue etc

Christina

Apr 10, 2006
14And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.IF it/(his message Jesus Christ) was received he wasnt received for the most part until after he died and espically not by the Jews he still isnt accepted by them and wont be till near the End.It has been prophesied and the Jews were/are acutely aware of this prophecy that Elijah will come before the Day of the Lord so had Christ been received John would have served to fill this prophecy (coming in the same spirit/that is the same reason) but he(Christ and his message) wasnt accepted until after he died so this prophecy is not yet fulfilled which is why many expect Elijah to be one of the two wittness's of Rev.Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:

Jordan

Apr 6, 2007
(Christina;59636)
14And if ye will receive it, this is Elias, which was for to come.IF it/(his message Jesus Christ) was received he wasnt received for the most part until after he died and espically not by the Jews he still isnt accepted by them and wont be till near the End.It has been prophesied and the Jews were/are acutely aware of this prophecy that Elijah will come before the Day of the Lord so had Christ been received John would have served to fill this prophecy (coming in the same spirit/that is the same reason) but he(Christ and his message) wasnt accepted until after he died so this prophecy is not yet fulfilled which is why many expect Elijah to be one of the two wittness's of Rev.Mal 4:5 Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
Wonderful post Christina.
smile.gif

naomi

Jul 17, 2008
Okay, I took that verse to mean that John the Baptist was a great prophet (like elijah had been) and so that was why he was 'the elijah for to come' I don't think I'd come across the verse in Malachi but that does make more sense :)Thanks Christiana!

KidsBibleCrafts

Sep 24, 2008
Maybe just being his friend and teaching what you know about the bible will help direct him in the right path. Maybe he is put in your life right now to teach him something. You should not count him out as a friend just based on what his beliefs are. I am sending prayers your way for your group.

naomi

Jul 17, 2008
I'd never count him out as a friend just becuase of what he believes - I just find it difficult to try and show him what the bible says simply becuase he doesn't believe that some of it is right and believes that some of the apocrypha is right (paritally becuase I think he's formed ideas and is then selecting the bits of the bible that agree with what he thinks and is discredting the rest)but thanks for the prayers! its all making me unsure of what I believe myself which is never too useful =(

SoldierforChrist

Sep 21, 2008
Well, first of all, if someone does not believe the whole Bible, then you have no grounds to argue with him on. We as Christians base all of our beliefs on the Bible, and that is what we use to prove them to others. So, if you have someone that does not believe the Bible, then when you try to show him stuff, it is supposedly just your opinion against his since the Bible has no value to him in the argument. I have run into this problem many times myself with different people. The only hope you have is to continue showing him things in the Bible wether he believes it or not, and pray that God will open his eyes and let him see the truth. Prayer is the key here.