Dishonest Debate Tactics

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most message boards don't have ground rules for debating.

I once lobbied for a rule that people would be required to respond to you if you were involved in a debate with them and you backed them into a corner. Not sure what I was thinking because that idea died in committee, LoL. But it would have been nice. People blow so much hot air until they get caught with their proverbial pants down, and then they crawl away but bounce back up a day later like nothing happened, just as disagreeable as ever. Used to drive me nuts. Now I just accept the fact that the forums are a bit like playing in a play pen, and some of the kids don't know how to act right. So I discipline, but sometimes I just let it slide; just depends on the person and the situation. But as rough as it might be to say, it pays to lower one's expectations of people if you want to have peace of mind. I normally choose to think the best of people at all times, but I've learned not to overestimate them. Sure way to let yourself down, often.

May 17, 2021
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I once lobbied for a rule that people would be required to respond to you if you were involved in a debate with them and you backed them into a corner. Not sure what I was thinking because that idea died in committee, LoL. But it would have been nice. People blow so much hot air until they get caught with their proverbial pants down, and then they crawl away but bounce back up a day later like nothing happened, just as disagreeable as ever. Used to drive me nuts. Now I just accept the fact that the forums are a bit like playing in a play pen, and some of the kids don't know how to act right. So I discipline, but sometimes I just let it slide; just depends on the person and the situation. But as rough as it might be to say, it pays to lower one's expectations of people if you want to have peace of mind. I normally choose to think the best of people at all times, but I've learned not to overestimate them. Sure way to let yourself down, often.

I think that is best. Also, moderating a true debate forum takes more work than volunteer moderators are willing to commit to. I don't blame them.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that is best. Also, moderating a true debate forum takes more work than volunteer moderators are willing to commit to. I don't blame them.

Yes, and too policed, which is the exact opposite of the way this Forum has always operated.

Nothing
is strictly policed around here, unless it is particularly egregious in some way.