Divorcement? dead to the Law by the body of Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

Deuteronomy 24:1-4
There are a number of things that I find incredibly noteworthy about this passage. The first is that the woman has been discovered to be unclean, and this is enough for the hard hearted to write a bill of divorce. It is also noteworthy that she is allowed to remarry, probably because she's not the one who is hard hearted. It is the hard hearted who Christ points out are not to remarry.

Romans 7:1-4 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? [2] For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. [3] So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress:but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. [4] Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.
from Deuteronomy upon a bill of divorce ...she may go marry another.
If her latter husband sends her out...or divorces her..or hates her...or dies...Her former husband which sent her away cannot and will not take her back. In relation to “wherefore, my brethren, you also are become dead to the Law by the body of Christ; that you should be married to another ...and bring forth fruit unto God.”

Under the new covenant, one does not bring forth fruit by the works of the law, but by faith. How are these differences manifested? In the former, we see people feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, in the latter we see the same thing, but instead of someone claiming that their works document their faith, it is instead a systemic process producing this fruit to God. In other words, one doesn't produce this fruit because they should, or even to document their salvation, but because they were created to produce this fruit.

“...you also have become dead to the Law by the body of Christ; that you should marry another.” ...2 Corinthians 5:14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:

I used to think this was referring to the commandments, but that was just because I was brainwashed by my church. The body of Christ crucified renders one dead to the penalty of the law (not to be confused or conflated with the obligation of the law), and those who are dead to the penalty will never sin. Sin is what makes the penalty necessary, while sinlessness is what makes the penalty or "curse" redundant or dead.

Regardless of whether God gave Israel a bill of divorcement is she included in “we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead.” And if “all were dead” “you also dead to the Law by the body of Christ” ...she is loosed from the Law of her husband. When loosed from the Law of her husband ...all become dead to the Law by the body of Christ ...how is Israel called the wife of God and yet the NT church the husband is Christ?

Israel is called out of bondage just like the church (Gk. "ekklesia" i.e. "called out ones").

How can “all were dead” and “you also dead to the Law by the body of Christ” ...return to the former husband she was loosed from:

There is no return to the former husband; the former husband is the sacrificial system, i.e. "the handwriting of ordinances that were against us".

the Law of her husband. A widow indeed rather than “I am no widow.” Revelation 18:7 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow.

Those who continue to sin after coming to an accurate knowledge of the truth can't return to Christ. Christ's sacrifice will not cover their sin (Hebrews 10:26)

“Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. [5] And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.”

Those who seek divorce cannot remarry. Those who do remarry are adualterers and have committed an abomination.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Moses suffered to write a bill of divorcement, and to put her away. [5] And Jesus answered and said unto them, For the hardness of your heart he wrote you this precept.”
Those who seek divorce cannot remarry. Those who do remarry are adualterers and have committed an abomination.

Where is that written in the bible?

PICJAG.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all. first thanks for the reply. second, consider this, and please read this carefully, all of Romans chapter 3. read it twice. and key, or zoom in on these two verse,
Romans 3:9 "What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin;"
Romans 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:"
AND THIS ONE,
Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;"

KNOWING THIS, LETS ANSWER YOUR TOPIC, AND ONE OF YOUR MAIN QUESTION.
in Deuteronomy 24:1-4 remember you posted this, "When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house."
Deuteronomy 24:2 "And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife."
Deuteronomy 24:3 "And if the latter husband hate her, and write her a bill of divorcement, and giveth it in her hand, and sendeth her out of his house; or if the latter husband die, which took her to be his wife;"
Deuteronomy 24:4 "Her former husband, which sent her away, may not take her again to be his wife, after that she is defiled; for that is abomination before the LORD: and thou shalt not cause the land to sin, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance."

let's answer this, (with man it's impossible, but not with God). we will use scripture, to answer your topic, listen to the answer.
Jeremiah 3:1 "They say, If a man put away his wife, and she go from him, and become another man's, shall he return unto her again? shall not that land be greatly polluted? but thou hast played the harlot with many lovers; yet return again to me, saith the LORD." STOP, and read that again, especially what the LORD said at the end of the verse here.

lets continue, verse 12,
Jeremiah 3:12 "Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever."
Jeremiah 3:13 "Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD."

DID you get that? God himself is the only one who can cleans the Land, and he did it with his own blood. what do we mean? notice Jeremiah 3:12 above, "RETURN" unto the Lord. return here means "REPENT". what was the First words out of John the Baptist, and the Lord Jesus mouth? that's right, "REPENT" for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand". first John, Matthew 3:1 "In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea,"
Matthew 3:2 "And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."
Matthew 3:3 "For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight." yes, this is the Elijah to come. one of the two witness.

now the other witness, the Lord Jesus,
Matthew 4:17 "From that time Jesus began to preach, (proclaim), and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." sorry about that for there is another topic about the two witness, which this topic reveals clearly. but this "REPENTANCE" answers the question of Deuteronomy 24. see under Grace a woman can RETURN, or repent to her husband, even after a divorce. for under LAW, Romans 7:1 "Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth?"
Romans 7:2 "For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband."
Romans 7:3 "So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man."

see, you're not under LAW, nor BOUND by it, 1 Timothy 1:9 "Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,"

our righteousness is in Christ which he has fulfilled, and in doing so, made me free from the Law, oh only just "RETURN/REPENT" saith the LORD.

see how easy it is just to follow the bible. listen, and watch the bold and red words. Jeremiah 3:12 "Go and proclaim these words toward the north, and say, Return, thou backsliding Israel, saith the LORD; and I will not cause mine anger to fall upon you: for I am merciful, saith the LORD, and I will not keep anger for ever."
Jeremiah 3:13 "Only acknowledge thine iniquity, that thou hast transgressed against the LORD thy God, and hast scattered thy ways to the strangers under every green tree, and ye have not obeyed my voice, saith the LORD."

proclaim means to "preach", that's what the two witness did, John and Jesus.
Return means to "repent", this is what John and Jesus preached.
acknowledge means to "Confess", when the people went to John's baptism they "confessed" their sins.
merciful means gracious ... "GRACE".
BINGO, there it is, under GRACE a wife can "RETURN", even if divorced, under Grace. so the LAW don't apply under GRACE.

a re-reading of this post may be in order to get the full understanding.

PICJAG.

PS, it this was helpful, you might want to make a cross reference of Jeremiah 3:12 & 13 with Matthew 3:2 and Matthew 4:17.

when you say Israel do mean of the freewoman or of the bondwoman?
Galatians 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

Or do you consider Israel both: that after the flesh and that after the Spirit?

Galatians 4:26
[26] But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

What are your thoughts on the bondwoman born after the flesh? Does that after the flesh remain in the house and abideth forever?

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Under the new covenant, one does not bring forth fruit by the works of the law, but by faith.

Agree. Fruit by works of the law Romans 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Romans 14:22-23 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. [23] And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Agree. Fruit by works of the law Romans 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Right, when we go out to prove we're truly Christians, we will only sin, but when we surrender to Christ, then he leads. We walk after the Spirit, and no longer fulfill the lust of the flesh.

Romans 14:22-23 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth. [23] And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Yes, that which is allowed cannot be sin. There is no doubt in the law as to what is sin and what isn't. The problem is that too many people doubt through their own ignorance They doubt because they don't know the truth as to what is appropriate to eat, drink, how much is too much, who to procreate with, who to associate with, etc.

Another way to put it is that whatever is not of Christ is sin, and there is no sin in Christ.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when you say Israel do mean of the freewoman or of the bondwoman?
Galatians 4:23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.

Or do you consider Israel both: that after the flesh and that after the Spirit?

Galatians 4:26
[26] But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

What are your thoughts on the bondwoman born after the flesh? Does that after the flesh remain in the house and abideth forever?
GINOLJC, to all. first thanks for the reply. second, free or bond all are under sin. Israel or the whole house of Israel should walk in newness of the Spirit, meaning in newness of life. please understand, just because one receive the the Holy Ghost, that don't make one holy .... yet, but you're righteous by being in Christ Jesus.

now another thing while we're on this topic of marriage, and divorce. as the Lord, through his chosen apostle said, "Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God". VictoryinJesus, here's something that will push you further onto perfection concering this topic. the abomination of the sexual act called "Homosexuality" in a marriage. what do I mean here? the Homosexual act of the married and the unmarried, better known as "Adultery", the Married, and "Fornication", the unmarried. this might give you something to re-think your perspective on the bible.
I know you're wondering what do Marriage and Divorce have to do with "Homosexuality"?, answer, the polluting of the land. let's break it down for you. scripture, Genesis 2:23 "And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." Genesis 2:24 "Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh." now this, Matthew 19:4 "And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, "Matthew 19:5 "And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?". hold that knowledge, "ONE FLESH". do you understand what the Lord Jesus is saying here? lets explain by example. first, "Adultery". we have two married couples, just for teaching purpose only, Mr. and Mrs. Jones, and Mr and Mrs. Doe. Mr Jones lay with, or have sex with Mrs. Doe, this is a "Homosexuality" act of "Adultery" how and why? because when Mr. Jones lays with Mrs. Doe, he is also laying with Mr. Doe. how is this, Matthew 19:5 "And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?". that's how, for Mr. and Mrs Doe is "ONE FLESH". so when Mr. Jones lay with Mrs. Doe, he is also laying with Mr. Dos which is an abomination in the land. the same is true in reverse, if Mrs. Doe Lay with Mr. Jones, she is in a Homosexual act with Mrs. Jones, because the Married is ONE FLESH.
now the Virgin. if a man lay with a virgin (the unmarried), he's laying with the virgin father, and mother, for until the virgin is "married", she or he is still one flesh with the parent, hence the reason of no incest, the having of one's mother, or one's father. this act is under the term "Fornication" which is a Homosexual act with father and mother. when married, hence father and mother become "IN-LAWS" to the one's spouse. so the Law of God applies to the in-law's as well. this is why we have the separation of church and state, or (law). we need the state/Government, to Govern or control this flesh that we live in. it is against the Law of the Land, hence the pollution land to disobey the Law. why is it an abomination in the land and against God?. for the Government, the Law of the land is establish. Romans 13:1 "Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God." STOP, READ THAT AGAIN. Romans 13:2 "Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation. "Romans 13:3 "For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:" Romans 13:4 "For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." Romans 13:5 "Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake." me personally, I don't believe in the separation of church and state, for God is the Power of both. but evil men, (male and female) when in Government, as the Lord says again through his chosen apostle, "Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen". it not the Government, (but the people who is in charge of Government).

2 Peter 2:10 "But chiefly them that walk after the flesh in the lust of uncleanness, and despise government. Presumptuous are they, selfwilled, they are not afraid to speak evil of dignities." Titus 3:1 "Put them in mind to be subject to principalities and powers, to obey magistrates, to be ready to every good work,"

see VJ, marriage, and divorce goes beyond just the couple in the holy contract, this is just a little taste that concerns marriage and divorce. yes, the Law, God's law which is the LAW of the law suppose to be righteous, before God and men.

so study up on Marriage and Divorce.

PICJAG.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think Paul forgot Stephen? Yet Paul could say his conscience was clear. There is a difference. To give mercy wouldn’t one need to remember they needed mercy also.
I don't remember every sin I committed, but certain ones where I was unable to make it right with a person I offended I cannot ever completely forget. When I get down myself in my walk at times one or more them will come to the forefront of my mind. This may sometimes be a satanic thing to drag me downward when God wants to lift me up. Also sometimes these memories of our own failures will help us and others to whom we may relate these experiences to see how far God has moved us during time already elapsed for us.

One example in my own experience, was a girl, who, during my year in Germany [1969-1970], I hurt terribly with my words. I was not a follower of Jesus at the time, but a few years later when I was, God brought the memory of my hurtful words to me. I needed to apologize and do whatever I could to make I right, but it was impossible as years had past and even the physical distance was great. She was presumably still in Germany somewhere and I was back in the USA with no idea of where she was to even make such an effort. God helped me with this and I stood to my feet in that first assembly where I was when I first truly repented and told my story to the congregation and apologized before God. God has softened the memory, but often still, especially when I am reading my Bible in German, I remember again, and the pain although somewhat diminished still comes back even though the event occurred before I had even met my wife [47 years married].

Is my conscience clear? I never dwell on it anymore as i did when I first came to God in 1976, but neither is it ever completely gone from me. I still remember in my mind her face and her tears the very last time I saw her. I remember and the pain although diminished, is not gone. And then I weep, I guess as Jesus wept. He came to save the world, but so many did not really want to be saved... and He wept. Some things may not be completely removed. But thank God for God!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't remember every sin I committed, but certain ones where I was unable to make it right with a person I offended I cannot ever completely forget. When I get down myself in my walk at times one or more them will come to the forefront of my mind. This may sometimes be a satanic thing to drag me downward when God wants to lift me up. Also sometimes these memories of our own failures will help us and others to whom we may relate these experiences to see how far God has moved us during time already elapsed for us.

One example in my own experience, was a girl, who, during my year in Germany [1969-1970], I hurt terribly with my words. I was not a follower of Jesus at the time, but a few years later when I was, God brought the memory of my hurtful words to me. I needed to apologize and do whatever I could to make I right, but it was impossible as years had past and even the physical distance was great. She was presumably still in Germany somewhere and I was back in the USA with no idea of where she was to even make such an effort. God helped me with this and I stood to my feet in that first assembly where I was when I first truly repented and told my story to the congregation and apologized before God. God has softened the memory, but often still, especially when I am reading my Bible in German, I remember again, and the pain although somewhat diminished still comes back even though the event occurred before I had even met my wife [47 years married].

Is my conscience clear? I never dwell on it anymore as i did when I first came to God in 1976, but neither is it ever completely gone from me. I still remember in my mind her face and her tears the very last time I saw her. I remember and the pain although diminished, is not gone. And then I weep, I guess as Jesus wept. He came to save the world, but so many did not really want to be saved... and He wept. Some things may not be completely removed. But thank God for God!

Thank you for sharing. I remember things too. It wasn’t until the other day something in this passage stood out and I thought of you...something I’ve read you say. I’ve read the passage many times but never noticed what is in bold:
2 Corinthians 6:7-10 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, [8] By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; [9] As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; [10] As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Both are there, yeah? As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing.

Reactions: amadeus

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
from Deuteronomy upon a bill of divorce ...she may go marry another.

If her latter husband sends her out...or divorces her..or hates her...or dies...Her former husband which sent her away cannot and will not take her back.

I do not see that a bill of divorce allows her to remarry. The reason why her first husband could not take her back after she married another and he died is because when she remarried, she became an adulteress.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not see that a bill of divorce allows her to remarry. The reason why her first husband could not take her back after she married another and he died is because when she remarried, she became an adulteress.

Romans 7:1-5 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? [2] For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. [3] So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. [4] Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth (Spiritual)fruit unto God. [5] For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Not sure how it keeps going backwards and not moving forward to the “Wherefore, my brethren, ...” You are FREE to live unto God and bring forth the Spiritual fruit of Life instead of “fruit unto death.” To bring forth the blessing and not the curse!
^is that not what is needed? Spiritual fruit springing forth and increasing and growing and multiplying unto the glory and praise of God??

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not how I read it. If the first husband found fault in her -- some uncleanness, like she was suspected of not being virgin or something like that -- and if he divorced her giving that as the reason, he couldn't change his mind later. I think this rule also made men think twice about how they treated their wives. If they were overbearing and tried to threaten to divorce her by cooking up an excuse, they couldn't change their minds later. If a man wanted to keep a woman as his wife, he shouldn't play games like threatening to divorce her.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing. I remember things too. It wasn’t until the other day something in this passage stood out and I thought of you...something I’ve read you say. I’ve read the passage many times but never noticed what is in bold:
2 Corinthians 6:7-10 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, [8] By honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; [9] As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; [10] As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.

Both are there, yeah? As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing.
In spite of our shortcomings He is there all of the time. Praise His name!

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7:1-5 Know ye not, brethren, (for I speak to them that know the law,) how that the law hath dominion over a man as long as he liveth? [2] For the woman which hath an husband is bound by the law to her husband so long as he liveth; but if the husband be dead, she is loosed from the law of her husband. [3] So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. [4] Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth (Spiritual)fruit unto God. [5] For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Not sure how it keeps going backwards and not moving forward to the “Wherefore, my brethren, ...” You are FREE to live unto God and bring forth the Spiritual fruit of Life instead of “fruit unto death.” To bring forth the blessing and not the curse!
^is that not what is needed? Spiritual fruit springing forth and increasing and growing and multiplying unto the glory and praise of God??

I don't see how brothers dying equates to divorce.