Do Not Boast about Tomorrow

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wednesday 3-3-21 Adar 18, 5781 4th. day of the weekly cycle, 73rd. Winter Day

Do Not Boast about Tomorrow

Proverbs Twenty Seven 1-27
King James Bible Par ▾

1Boast not thyself of to morrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.

2Let another man praise thee, and not thine own mouth; a stranger, and not thine own lips.

3A stone is heavy, and the sand weighty; but a fool's wrath is heavier than them both.

4Wrath is cruel, and anger is outrageous; but who is able to stand before envy?

5Open rebuke is better than secret love.

6Faithful are the wounds of a friend; but the kisses of an enemy are deceitful.

7The full soul loatheth an honeycomb; but to the hungry soul every bitter thing is sweet.

8As a bird that wandereth from her nest, so is a man that wandereth from his place.

9Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel.

10Thine own friend, and thy father's friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother's house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off.

11My son, be wise, and make my heart glad, that I may answer him that reproacheth me.

12A prudent man foreseeth the evil, and hideth himself; but the simple pass on, and are punished.

13Take his garment that is surety for a stranger, and take a pledge of him for a strange woman.

14He that blesseth his friend with a loud voice, rising early in the morning, it shall be counted a curse to him.

15A continual dropping in a very rainy day and a contentious woman are alike.

16Whosoever hideth her hideth the wind, and the ointment of his right hand, which bewrayeth itself.

17Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

18Whoso keepeth the fig tree shall eat the fruit thereof: so he that waiteth on his master shall be honoured.

19As in water face answereth to face, so the heart of man to man.

20Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied.

21As the fining pot for silver, and the furnace for gold; so is a man to his praise.

22Though thou shouldest bray a fool in a mortar among wheat with a pestle, yet will not his foolishness depart from him.

23Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds.

24For riches are not for ever: and doth the crown endure to every generation?

25The hay appeareth, and the tender grass sheweth itself, and herbs of the mountains are gathered.

26The lambs are for thy clothing, and the goats are the price of the field.

27And thou shalt have goats' milk enough for thy food, for the food of thy household, and for the maintenance for thy maidens.

Love always, Walter and Debbieupload_2021-3-3_7-10-1.png

Reactions: amadeus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
17Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

remember byrrd when he was here mentioning maybe this isn’t what we think it is. Makes me question what is being sharpened Ezekiel 21:9-16 Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus saith the Lord ; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished: [10] It is sharpened to make a sore slaughter; it is furbished that it may glitter: should we then make mirth? it contemneth the rod of my son, as every tree. [11] And he hath given it to be furbished, that it may be handled: this sword is sharpened, and it is furbished, to give it into the hand of the slayer. [12] Cry and howl, son of man: for it shall be upon my people, it shall be upon all the princes of Israel: terrors by reason of the sword shall be upon my people: smite therefore upon thy thigh. [13] Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord God. [14] Thou therefore, son of man, prophesy, and smite thine hands together, and let the sword be doubled the third time, the sword of the slain: it is the sword of the great men that are slain, which entereth into their privy chambers. [15] I have set the point of the sword against all their gates, that their heart may faint, and their ruins be multiplied: ah! it is made bright, it is wrapped up for the slaughter. [16] Go thee one way or other, either on the right hand, or on the left, whithersoever thy face is set.

Matthew 26:52-54 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. [53] Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? [54] But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

“do not boast in tomorrow” Matthew 6:34 Lexicon: "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
remember byrrd when he was here mentioning maybe this isn’t what we think it is. Makes me question what is being sharpened Ezekiel 21:9-16 Son of man, prophesy, and say, Thus saith the Lord ; Say, A sword, a sword is sharpened, and also furbished: [10] It is sharpened to make a sore slaughter; it is furbished that it may glitter: should we then make mirth? it contemneth the rod of my son, as every tree. [11] And he hath given it to be furbished, that it may be handled: this sword is sharpened, and it is furbished, to give it into the hand of the slayer. [12] Cry and howl, son of man: for it shall be upon my people, it shall be upon all the princes of Israel: terrors by reason of the sword shall be upon my people: smite therefore upon thy thigh. [13] Because it is a trial, and what if the sword contemn even the rod? it shall be no more, saith the Lord God. [14] Thou therefore, son of man, prophesy, and smite thine hands together, and let the sword be doubled the third time, the sword of the slain: it is the sword of the great men that are slain, which entereth into their privy chambers. [15] I have set the point of the sword against all their gates, that their heart may faint, and their ruins be multiplied: ah! it is made bright, it is wrapped up for the slaughter. [16] Go thee one way or other, either on the right hand, or on the left, whithersoever thy face is set.

Matthew 26:52-54 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. [53] Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? [54] But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

“do not boast in tomorrow” Matthew 6:34 Lexicon: "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Great post, while reading your post, I was thinking of that verse Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.

Iron sharpeneth iron — Iron tools are made sharp, and fit for use, by rubbing them against the file, or some other iron;

so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend — Quickens his ingenuity, enlivens his affections, strengthens his judgment, excites him to virtuous and useful actions, and makes him, in all respects, a better man.

So as a person can help someone, here are some other views:

Proverbs 27:17 Commentaries: Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another. (biblehub.com)

Love, Walter

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@firstthings1st. @VictoryinJesus
Yes, even someone who mostly stands against God can be used to sharpen others in their walks with God.

Here we see the high priest breaking the law by tearing his own clothes supposedly because of the blasphemy of Jesus but seemingly caring nothing for God nor for the law given by God to Moses...

"Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy." Matt 26:65

"And he that is the high priest among his brethren, upon whose head the anointing oil was poured, and that is consecrated to put on the garments, shall not uncover his head, nor rend his clothes;" Lev 21:10

And yet here the high priest in spite of being deeply involved in the conspiracy to have Jesus killed was given a prophecy from God. He himself likely did not understand the Truth contained in what he was speaking:

"And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;" John 11:49-51

Iron sharpens iron indeed.