"Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
John 2
3 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business. 15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables. 16 And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!” 17 Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up.

This verse really intrigues me. Here we see Jesus in Jerusalem a few days before the passover and he entered the temple, finding it overrun with money changers and those who sold animals for sacrifice. Jerusalem would have been packed with pilgrims from all parts of the world wishing to participate in the feast of the passover and money changers would have profited greatly in the business of exchanging foreign coins for shekels more appropriate for temple tax and at a higher rate. Jesus was angry at the scene before him and after making a whip out of cord, he drove out the money changers along with those who sold sheep, oxen and doves for sacrifice. Isaiah 56:7, Psalms 69:9

Now imagine the Churches of today... would Jesus be angry at the sale of books by well known Christian authors?, the sale of food and drink or other goods? or having an eftpos machine in the foyer of the church for convenience sake? :unsure: any thoughts?

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've talked about this with my Pastor and we both expressed reservations with this. I don't think books are bad, but at the same time there is a rush to continually write books that seem to say the very same things over and over. I think what bothers me more is that we have all of these conferences, tshirts, studies, and other materials that cost right and left. While I understand things like leadership intensives, it's also a bit weird for me that you have a pastor charging $800-$1000 for time spent with him, basically.

GISMYS

Mar 4, 2013
SOUTHERN USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
WHY WOULD YOU THINK CHRISTIANS SHOULD NOT WRITE AND SELL BOOKS??? SOME OF THOSE BOOKS HAVE HELPED BRING MILLIONS TO SEEK GOD AND BE SAVED!!!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
1. Those merchants and money changers were in the courtyard set aside for the Gentiles, and they were preventing Gentiles from worshiping.

2. A modern-day church building isn't the same as the Temple where priests made daily sacrifices to God.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
I believe Jesus wasn't angry about the sale of goods and services, but with the profiteering that was taking place.

EDIT
I changed my mind. While I'm sure God is opposed to profiteering in all places his house is sacred. No business should be conducted where worship takes place.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Bible scholars believe that this incident occurred on the east side of the Temple near Solomon's porch.
Modern day Churches follow a similar pattern as the O/T temple in a sense of having an outer court, a holy Place, and the Holy of holies but their sacrifice is "praise and thanksgiving" rather than the blood of animals.

GISMYS - there is nothing wrong with selling books but I'm not sure that it is appropriate to sell them in Church. We have Christian bookstores in our area - do you???? :huh:

Pilgrims could have purchased at the sales yard or the farm gate [which would have been less expensive] but for convenience sake, all their needs could be met within the temple itself.

I think Jesus was angry because the Temple was a place for worship and prayer rather than merchandizing.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
John 2
3 Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem. 14 And He found in the temple those who sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the money changers doing business. 15 When He had made a whip of cords, He drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and the oxen, and poured out the changers’ money and overturned the tables. 16 And He said to those who sold doves, “Take these things away! Do not make My Father’s house a house of merchandise!” 17 Then His disciples remembered that it was written, “Zeal for Your house has eaten Me up.

This verse really intrigues me. Here we see Jesus in Jerusalem a few days before the passover and he entered the temple, finding it overrun with money changers and those who sold animals for sacrifice. Jerusalem would have been packed with pilgrims from all parts of the world wishing to participate in the feast of the passover and money changers would have profited greatly in the business of exchanging foreign coins for shekels more appropriate for temple tax and at a higher rate. Jesus was angry at the scene before him and after making a whip out of cord, he drove out the money changers along with those who sold sheep, oxen and doves for sacrifice. Isaiah 56:7, Psalms 69:9

Now imagine the Churches of today... would Jesus be angry at the sale of books by well known Christian authors?, the sale of food and drink or other goods? or having an eftpos machine in the foyer of the church for convenience sake? :unsure: any thoughts?
Insightful Angelina...count yourself blessed to be among the minority of Christians who are not entangled with many books, rather than becoming familiar with the one that truly matters.

See if you can see the problem arising out of these three verses?

Luke 2:49 But he replied, “Why were you looking for me? Didn’t you know that I must be in my Father’s house?”
John 2:16 To those who sold the doves he said, “Take these things away from here! Do not make my Father’s house a marketplace!”
Matt 23:38 Look, your house is left to you desolate!

How does this apply today?

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Well, when I see actual merchandising take place in the worship area of a church, I'll reconsider my earlier post.
Meanwhile, the only merchandising that I see takes place outside of the worship area of churches.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Insightful Angelina...count yourself blessed to be among the minority of Christians who are not entangled with many books, rather than becoming familiar with the one that truly matters.

See if you can see the problem arising out of these three verses?

Luke 2:49 But he replied, “Why were you looking for me? Didn’t you know that I must be in my Father’s house?”
John 2:16 To those who sold the doves he said, “Take these things away from here! Do not make my Father’s house a marketplace!”
Matt 23:38 Look, your house is left to you desolate!

How does this apply today?
I'm not sure but I have a feeling that it has very little to do with the O/P...which I hope you will stick to... ;)

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Angelina said:
I'm not sure but I have a feeling that it has very little to do with the O/P...which I hope you will stick to... ;)
It has a "great" deal to do with the OP.

Could you see the point being made?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The books you quoted seem to be referring to Israel but I do not think that John 2 is....as I see that the items being sold were in the Court of the Gentiles but still within the Temple itself. Perhaps blame could be attributed to the priests and other temple dignitaries who allowed such things to go on. :huh:

Oh I do not like "brain games" because I am not that smart...how bout you just come right out and explain yourself ^_^

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Angelina said:
The books you quoted seem to be referring to Israel but I do not think that John 2 is....as I see that the items being sold were in the Court of the Gentiles but still within the Temple itself. Perhaps blame could be attributed to the priests and other temple dignitaries who allowed such things to go on. :huh:
Absolutely

Your inference in the OP was correct to begin with, by the time Christ left the temple, what he consider "My house", had become "Your desolate house".

They did not heed his warning or take the strong rebuke to heart; they just went on selling books ;)

Oh I do not like "brain games" because I am not that smart...how bout you just come right out and explain yourself ^_^
Your smarts are just fine thank you.

Exercising the mind is something we need to do a lot more; I personally love it when a forum member asks me questions about the Word - even if I don't know the answer its good to search diligently - who knows "it might be provided"....nothing wrong with being teachable either :)

If Christianity keeps wholesaling Gods Word as the Jews did in the Temple where will it lead?

Answer: Matt 23:38 Look, your house is left to you desolate!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Your smarts are just fine thank you.
Thank you! ^_^

HammerStone
While I understand things like leadership intensives, it's also a bit weird for me that you have a pastor charging $800-$1000 for time spent with him, basically.
We don't have that...our Pastor's have to be available to the Church members...it is included in his job discription, amongst other things :huh:

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
When Jesus said, "My Father's house" he was talking about a specific building, the Temple in Jerusalem where the High Priest entered the Holiest of Holies on Yom Kippor in order to make atonement for the sins of Israel.

Jesus was not talking about structures where his followers meet for group worship.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Purity
If Christianity keeps wholesaling Gods Word as the Jews did in the Temple where will it lead?
I think that today's modern Churches need to be careful about such things. God did not tolerate much in the O/T...Praise God however for Jesus our eternal high priest and intercessor to the Father on our behalf! :)

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Dodo,

The house and the religious fervour behind it was desolate by the time the Lord left.

Christianity here in Australia has far surpassed the entrepreneurial activities of the Jews. Their corruption and the exploitation of the tax laws around the world is nothing short of amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CP8UUzdzs20
I perceive a very great problem with many (not all) Christians today when speaking of such matters as these is found in their silence. It reminds of Isaiah 5:20.

To come out and plainly say "this is wrong" and do so collectively is a sign we are nearing the Lords return. Its to take the luke warm approach, to rest firmly on the fence but never place yourselves on the Lords side.

Tough times indeed.