Do online churches count the same as attending a church in person?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kerry

Dec 13, 2015
I haven't found a church that is within driving distance to attend in person. I went to 2 churches in the area where I live but I didn't feel good about either of them.

I looked at an online church that streams their sermons live every Sunday and liked the message that was presented on Sunday. This church is in New Mexico so I could never attend the sermons in person.[SIZE=6.5pt][/SIZE]

Does anybody know if watching online sermons count the same as attending a church in person?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been hearing people on Youtube who are saying that in order to be saved, you need to attend a church. I haven't read anything in the bible that says this, but if it is true then, I'm wondering if I can watch the sermons from this online church?

[SIZE=6.5pt]Thanks in advance.[/SIZE]

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The reason I'm asking is that I've been hearing people on Youtube who are saying that in order to be saved, you need to attend a church.
That's sad. It's wrong. There's nobody (not even God) counting the number of times you walk through the door of a church to see if you build up 'enough' attendance. So the question "Do online churches count" is a bit meaningless.

Online sermons can be a really good resource if the preaching at your own church is a bit uninspiring. I often listen to sermons from a big church in London for that reason. But it doesn't replace going to a 'live' church - because the point of attending a church is to get to know other Christians and have opportunities to love them. (Of course, that works both ways - if they don't know you they can't love and help you!)

Are there only two churches close enough to you for you to attend? Sometimes it takes longer to find the 'right' place for you. And don't be too fussy. Unless the teaching is heretical or the leadership over-controlling, most churches are 'good enough' to provide the fellowship and support that we all need.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Kerry said:
I haven't found a church that is within driving distance to attend in person. I went to 2 churches in the area where I live but I didn't feel good about either of them.

I looked at an online church that streams their sermons live every Sunday and liked the message that was presented on Sunday. This church is in New Mexico so I could never attend the sermons in person.

Does anybody know if watching online sermons count the same as attending a church in person?

The reason I'm asking is that I've been hearing people on Youtube who are saying that in order to be saved, you need to attend a church. I haven't read anything in the bible that says this, but if it is true then, I'm wondering if I can watch the sermons from this online church?

Kerry,

Welcome to CyB. I'm pleased that you have joined us. You have raised a penetrating issue for us in this electronic age.

Can this happen with an online 'church'? 'And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near' (Heb 10:25 NLT). Is it possible to do that online or with Skype?

Is this possible in an online 'church'? 'Well, my brothers and sisters, let's summarize. When you meet together, one will sing, another will teach, another will tell some special revelation God has given, one will speak in tongues, and another will interpret what is said. But everything that is done must strengthen all of you' (1 Cor 14:26 NLT). Is there a place for that in a Skype environment of interaction?

I guess the latter is possible in an online environment, but I think it's pushing the limits.

1 Tim 4;16 (NLT) states, 'Keep a close watch on how you live and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right for the sake of your own salvation and the salvation of those who hear you'. Are you able to be accountable to an online group for this?

Oz

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Kerry said:
What kind of church are you seeking? What is your theology that prevented you from feeling good about the 2 churches you visited?

Oz

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Kerry,
I have also been looking for a body of believers in my area for some time but without success. My work life has changed dramatically which has caused me to look for other alternatives. On-Line forums/sermons can serve for a time but it is not the same as being part of a gathering of believers. Whether it be as part of a Church body or via home groups. The gathering of believers help you to grow, enables you to encourage others and participate in corporate prayer and worship.

You do not need to attend church in order to be saved. That is a fallacy. Salvation is a free gift from God because of his mercy. Fellowship [attending Church or a house group] is beneficial for your growth. The same as reading your bible and spending time with God through prayer/worship. Salvation does not come from what you do but what God did. Growth comes from choosing to know him more through various sources which includes fellowship, bible reading and the like...

Be Blessed!!!

Hebrews 10
23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Reactions: lforrest

Raeneske

Sep 18, 2012
Kerry said:

I looked at an online church that streams their sermons live every Sunday and liked the message that was presented on Sunday. This church is in New Mexico so I could never attend the sermons in person.

First, Praise God that you are moved to ask such a question. To some this may sound like a far-fetched idea, to attend church online. But those would have no problem praying with a family member on the phone, if they were in need or distress. Is not Jesus there, when people are praying together over the phone? When a husband and wife are distanced for whatever reason in this day and age, shall I believe that their prayers are not heard, and that Jesus is not with them, simply because they might be thousands of miles apart? Is not the Spirit of God omnipresent?

When you say that you did not feel good about the churches, I pray that this is based off of Biblical reasons, and not based off of feelings. Feelings are dangerous to trust in. If you can find Biblical errors with their pillars of faith, walk away from the church. Trust in the LORD with all your heart.

With that said, I find nothing wrong with an online church. There are, I am sure, many online churches now. You can still have fellowship with church brethren whether you are with them in person, talking with them on the phone, or talking with them through a computer screen. The only thing missing is the physical presence with one another, and possibly seeing each others faces, depending on the church.

We are told not to forsake the gathering together with one another. This doesn't mean to gather in churches that teach false doctrine for fellowship sake. But when a church is teaching right doctrines, we should be in the church. The church is God's means to reach out to every soul on earth. For us to forsake a church which is perfectly okay for us to attend, is to forsake the means by which God can reach our souls. This isn't a wise act. And it could lead to the loss of our souls, due to neglect. If no church around you is teaching right, do not be alarmed that you are not doing what God would have you do. In this day of false doctrines, and lies, we need not attend a church that is serving idols, for fellowship sake. Do not bow before the golden calf because everyone else does it. But seek God with your whole heart, and He will bring you to the right church.

:)

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus saves you, not the Church. However, the Church is a community for the saved and God's means of building His people into the likeness of Christ. The physical Church does not save you, but it is crucial in your sanctification. As Oz pointed out, online messages are helpful, but I dont think they accomplish the purposes God has for the Church. One of the primary purposes of the Church is to invest your life in serving and building up others. You cannot really do that online. In order to love, serve and grow with people in a meaningful way, you kinda need to rub elbows with them.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Someone once said:
Sitting in a pew doesn't make one a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes one an automobile.

That being true, I'd have to say that not sitting in a pew doesn't make one not a Christian, either.

A Christian is a Christian 24-7....not just a few hours on Sunday. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that a Christian's entire life is an act of worship...

Had you thought about starting a house church?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On-line churches are a great alternative. Especially for those in parts of the world where Christianity isn't real popular. As many others have posted, the fellowship and community are really important. These can serve as a great place for those. :)

zhiqiangL

Mar 4, 2016
God dont care where you preach, where you praise him, i think he may care more about your faith, your deeds, and your heart.

hatedbyall

Mar 12, 2016
KayKay said:

no, it is not the same. But i speak as a Catholic (disgruntled Catholic but Catholic just the same). The reason is that the Real Presence of Christ is in the Catholic Church (meaning in a tangible, physical kind of way that is not found anywhere else), and all of Heaven participates @ the Mass. You may not believe that, but i and other Catholics do. So it would never be the same thing to watch on TV but the Mass is on ewtn and sometimes i have no choice but to go that route b/c i cannot make it to the Church

:)

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think on-line churches and forums can help when it is difficult to get to a body of Christ but they can not do the things that Churches can in respect to studying God's word in a house group situation, Pastoral visits, using your gifts and being in a Christian community of caring, sharing and break breaking fellowship.