Do sheep drink from running waters?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You should start a thread.

If I wanted to study about do sheep drink from running water I would go to a sheepherder and ask for his expertise. And, if I want to learn about the things of God I will go to the Bible for its' expertise.

To God Be The Glory

SheepWhisperer

Jun 20, 2017
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It would have served better if the topic were such as: "Do believers (sheep) drink from the water of the Gospel (running water)?
My answer would still be the same as I have posted in Post #11

To God Be The Glory
Actually the title has to do with the STILL waters mentioned in Psalm 23: "He leadeth me beside the still waters". As I stated before, I have heard men say that this scripture has to do with sheep fearing or refusing to drink running water. But the videos I posted clearly show that this is not true.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I've heard men "preach" that sheep will only drink still water, among other things like "they can only see fourteen feet away", they are "totally helpless", and the familiar "God didn't do us any favors comparing us to sheep" (because) sheep are "dumb". One church brother, came out to see my farm, and asked me "who shows them how to find the water"? Sheep aren't that devoid of intelligence and they will drink "running waters".

They also aren't completely stupid......
imo these will be perceived as a special case, trained sheep iow. Do you have any videos of sheep drinking next to "whitewater," in a natural setting? because your "running water" here is kind of like maybe cheating the intent a little maybe. ty

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Good find Job. That river was moving quite fast! Agree, the beginning of the first video made me a bit seasick LOL

I thought the second vid was pretty awesome! :)

SheepWhisperer

Jun 20, 2017
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
imo these will be perceived as a special case, trained sheep iow. Do you have any videos of sheep drinking next to "whitewater," in a natural setting? because your "running water" here is kind of like maybe cheating the intent a little maybe. ty
Actually, I don't know of any animal which would want to drink from "whitewater" as it's too frothy, full of air, and splattering up your nose. But running, swift moving water? Certainly.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Tynedale

Apr 8, 2019
TAURANGA N.Z.
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Do sheep drink from running water?
Sheep will drink from running water when they have no option. There are two main reasons that make them wary.
1/ If they stand in the stream their underbelly fleece gets waterlogged. If the strength of the flow is such and they lose their footing they'll go down getting more fleece sodden and the increased weight makes it more difficult for them to regain their feet and so they may well drown.
2/ Running water carries more sediment, Still water is clearer.
The picture here is of our Good shepherd knowing our lack of awareness, leads us beside the safe still waters of life. (In all our ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct our paths.)
He also provides green pastures - where we rest in His benevolence.
The biblical shepherd did not use dogs to control and direct sheep; they responded to his voice. In Jn 10:27-28, Jesus said,
" My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Do sheep drink from running water?
Sheep will drink from running water when they have no option. There are two main reasons that make them wary.
1/ If they stand in the stream their underbelly fleece gets waterlogged. If the strength of the flow is such and they lose their footing they'll go down getting more fleece sodden and the increased weight makes it more difficult for them to regain their feet and so they may well drown.
2/ Running water carries more sediment, Still water is clearer.
The picture here is of our Good shepherd knowing our lack of awareness, leads us beside the safe still waters of life. (In all our ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct our paths.)
He also provides green pastures - where we rest in His benevolence.
The biblical shepherd did not use dogs to control and direct sheep; they responded to his voice. In Jn 10:27-28, Jesus said,
" My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me."
Hi, Sir! You are from the Land of Sheep, right?

There is indeed a lot to be learned from Psalm 23 and John 10, in relation to sheep and the Great Shepherd (see also Hebrews 1320).