Do the Ten Commandments still serve a purpose?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nicely put.

Living and holding to God alone,respect for parents, telling the truth,not being a thief or murderer,remaining faithful in marriage, etc... some argue no longer applies?
How do they forget Jesus reiterated the 10 commands by whittling all they are into 2?
How do you as a sabbath keeper view other churches who teach not to keep the sabbath and what about their standing with God and Christ, the people who do not keep the sabbath commandment? As in those who meet on Sunday.

Be nice to hear that from all sabbath day keepers what they think about this.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God. 13 Therefore let us not judge one another [d]anymore, but rather resolve this, not to put a stumbling block or a cause to fall in our brother’s way.

People who say the sabbath rest is God's commandment for today put that stumbling block in front of their brother

Paul exposes this also in Colossians 2, in which he specifically mentions the sabbath day and judgment.

Not Legalism but Christ​

11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body [h]of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the [i]handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a [j]festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the [k]substance is of Christ.
Do you charge those who choose to drive to the speed limit with legalism? I guess you don't, so why charge those who choose to obey God's Commandments with legalism? as if they are trying to keep them for earning their way to heaven?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you as a sabbath keeper view other churches who teach not to keep the sabbath and what about their standing with God and Christ, the people who do not keep the sabbath commandment? As in those who meet on Sunday.

Be nice to hear that from all sabbath day keepers what they think about this.
I would like to know as well. I deliver mail to an elderly man who attends the Worldwide church of God (Armstrongism) and he once told me that I need to tell my employer that I cannot work on Saturday because it's the sabbath day and if I don't and continue to work on Saturday then my salvation will be in jeopardy. o_O Armstrongism was only one of many salvation-by-works philosophies that look to the keeping of the Old Testament laws as a means of salvation.

Also, Seventh-day Adventists teach that the near the end of time the "mark of the best" of Revelation 14 will be placed upon those who worship on Sunday instead of Saturday. :eek:

• Wow
Reactions: Scott Downey

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I would like to know as well. I deliver mail to an elderly man who attends the Worldwide church of God (Armstrongism) and he once told me that I need to tell my employer that I cannot work on Saturday because it's the sabbath day and if I don't and continue to work on Saturday then my salvation will be in jeopardy. o_O Armstrongism was only one of many salvation-by-works philosophies that look to the keeping of the Old Testament laws as a means of salvation.

Also, Seventh-day Adventists teach that the near the end of time the "mark of the best" of Revelation 14 will be placed upon those who worship on Sunday instead of Saturday. :eek:

EASY
Some people may tell you that it is wrong for you to eat or to drink certain things. Or they make rules about special festival days, about new moons, or about the Jewish days for rest. Do not agree with people like that.

EXB
So do not let anyone ·make rules for [or criticize; judge; or condemn] you about eating and drinking or about a religious ·feast [festival], a New Moon Festival [2 Kin. 4:23; Neh. 10:33], or a Sabbath day [C religious observances that false teachers pressured the Colossians to keep].

NIRV
So don’t let anyone judge you because of what you eat or drink. Don’t let anyone judge you about holy days. I’m talking about special feasts and New Moons and Sabbath days.

Well I think you can understand my own POV

Reactions: mailmandan

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The apostles were tryng to preach Christ to the Jews in the synagogues, and the jews meet on a Saturday. That was their way of being able to talk to the Jews aout Christ. It turned out mostly to be a failure and they went to the gentiles instead. The gentiles viewed Saturday meetings as associated with the Jews. Jews being contrary to all men and under the wrath of God, the gentiles did not want to be associated with anything Jewish. The worship day becomes Sunday the first day of the week when Christ arose.

And later in Acts we even read this. Sunday was when they came together to break bread and for Christian teaching.

Acts 20

And after the uproar had ceased, Paul called unto him the disciples, and embraced them, and departed to go into Macedonia.

2 And when he had gone through those parts and had given them much exhortation, he came into Greece.

3 And there he abode three months. And when the Jews laid wait for him, as he was about to sail for Syria, he purposed to return through Macedonia.

4 And there accompanied him into Asia, Sopater of Berea, and Aristarchus and Secundus of the Thessalonians, and Gaius of Derbe, and Timothy; and from Asia, Tychichus and Trophimus.

5 These, going ahead, tarried for us at Troas.

6 And we sailed away from Philippi after the Days of Unleavened Bread and came unto them in five days at Troas, where we stayed seven days.

7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow, and continued his speech until midnight.

8 And there were many lights in the upper chamber where they were gathered together.

9 And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, having fallen into a deep sleep; and as Paul was long in preaching, he sank down with sleep and fell down from the third floor and was taken up dead.

10 And Paul went down and fell on him and, embracing him, said, “Trouble not yourselves, for his life is in him.”

11 When he therefore had come up again, and had broken bread and eaten and talked for a long while, even until break of day, he departed.

12 And they brought the young man alive, and were not a little comforted.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
At first believers refer to themselves as the WAY
Acts 9:2
and asked letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, so that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.

But when they begin to call themselves another name, the Christians, this shows they are breaking with the Jews as the Jews were heavily persecuting the WAY. And they are preaching to the gentiles now. They are no longer of the WAY meeting with the Jews in Synagogues on the sabbath, they are coming together as their own Church and known as Christians.
Acts 11

Barnabas and Saul at Antioch​

19 Now those who were scattered after the persecution that arose over Stephen traveled as far as Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to no one but the Jews only. 20 But some of them were men from Cyprus and Cyrene, who, when they had come to Antioch, spoke to the Hellenists, preaching the Lord Jesus. 21 And the hand of the Lord was with them, and a great number believed and turned to the Lord.

22 Then news of these things came to the ears of the church in Jerusalem, and they sent out Barnabas to go as far as Antioch. 23 When he came and had seen the grace of God, he was glad, and encouraged them all that with purpose of heart they should continue with the Lord. 24 For he was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and of faith. And a great many people were added to the Lord.

25 Then Barnabas departed for Tarsus to seek Saul. 26 And when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. So it was that for a whole year they assembled with the church and taught a great many people.

And the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch.

Last edited:

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hebrews 4 is not speaking of the sabbath day. Joshua is mentioned as not giving them rest (He CANT) and he is come after the law of Moses regarding the sabbath. Therefore God is speaking of another DAY.
Another reason why this is not the sabbath, is it clearly says we who believe have entered into God's rest
Not that we enter this rest once a week.
And wrapping it up, for he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
We are in a state of permanent rest with God.
Our New Covenant is a great salvation.

Hebrews 4
1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, [a]not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts.”
8 For if [b]Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.

Last edited:

Big Boy Johnson

Sep 28, 2023
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you do with James's words when he says in...

James 2:10-11
For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it. 11For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,” b also said, “You shall not murder.” c If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

Isn't he quoting the Ten Commandments?

As I already pointed out... these are among the 9 found in the New Testament which are under the Law of Christ

In the New Testament, they aren't call "The 10 Commandments" because now we live under the Law of Christ, not the Law of Moses

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As I already pointed out... these are among the 9 found in the New Testament which are under the Law of Christ

In the New Testament, they aren't call "The 10 Commandments" because now we live under the Law of Christ, not the Law of Moses
Oh I see, call them by a different name and you feel you have the permission to chop and change or eliminate by quoting other parts of scripture.....and that without understanding the context!

• Haha
Reactions: JunChosen

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
Many say that the Ten Commandments is not serving any purpose it their lives as they are not 'under it', or the OT doesnt need to be studied or apply to Christians as there were just Jews being taught, no Christians, or that they 'follow the spirit' and dont worry about the Ten Commandments. But what was the Ten Commandments for, the Law has a purpose which we find in Gods Word.
1. The law is the schoolmaster that brings one to Christ
2. The law is perfect to convert the soul
3. You can not know what sin is without knowledge of the law. When we tell people they're sinners, they have no idea what sin is if no Law.
4. Repent and believe is the message of the kingdom. Repent from what? Transgression of the law.
And how will one know what to repent of without a knowledge of the law?
And, i know for the fact, preacher Ray Comfort uses part of the Ten Commandments in public. In order to highlight to unbelievers that they've sinned and have violated GOD's standard.

It works, for it is GOD's basic moral law, in order to highlight to those who claim to be good or reasonably good, that they no good.

Thank you.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 4 is not speaking of the sabbath day. Joshua is mentioned as not giving them rest (He CANT) and he is come after the law of Moses regarding the sabbath. Therefore God is speaking of another DAY.
Another reason why this is not the sabbath, is it clearly says we who believe have entered into God's rest
Not that we enter this rest once a week.
And wrapping it up, for he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
We are in a state of permanent rest with God.
Our New Covenant is a great salvation.

Hebrews 4
1 Therefore, since a promise remains of entering His rest, let us fear lest any of you seem to have come short of it. 2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, [a]not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. 3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said:

“So I swore in My wrath,
‘They shall not enter My rest,’ ”
although the works were finished from the foundation of the world. 4 For He has spoken in a certain place of the seventh day in this way: “And God rested on the seventh day from all His works”; 5 and again in this place: “They shall not enter My rest.”

6 Since therefore it remains that some must enter it, and those to whom it was first preached did not enter because of disobedience, 7 again He designates a certain day, saying in David, “Today,” after such a long time, as it has been said:

“Today, if you will hear His voice,
Do not harden your hearts.”
8 For if [b]Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. 9 There remains therefore a rest for the people of God. 10 For he who has entered His rest has himself also ceased from his works as God did from His.
Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath (sabbatismos) rest for the people of God. (NASB) The Greek word here is "sabbatismos" which is used no where else in the Bible. Amazing that Sabbatarians would suggest that this is the word for "keeping the weekly Sabbath day" when it is never used anywhere else in the Bible!

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

Reactions: Scott Downey

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hebrews 4:9 - So there remains a Sabbath (sabbatismos) rest for the people of God. (NASB) The Greek word here is "sabbatismos" which is used no where else in the Bible. Amazing that Sabbatarians would suggest that this is the word for "keeping the weekly Sabbath day" when it is never used anywhere else in the Bible!

W. E. Vine, Greek Dictionary points out:

Sabbath rest (4520) (sabbatismos from sabbatízo = keep the Sabbath) literally means a keeping of a sabbath or a keeping of days of rest. It is used in this passage not in the literal sense (meaning to keep a specific day, the "Sabbath" day) but to describe a period of rest for God’s people which is modeled after and is a fulfillment of the traditional Sabbath.

SABBATISMOS a Sabbath-keeping, is used in Heb. 4:9, R.V., "a Sabbath rest," A.V. marg., "a keeping of a Sabbath" (akin to sabbatizoµ, to keep the Sabbath, used, e.g., in Ex. 16:30, not in the N.T.); here the Sabbath-keeping is the perpetual Sabbath rest to be enjoyed uninterruptedly by believers in their fellowship with the Father and the Son, in contrast to the weekly Sabbath under the Law. Because this Sabbath rest is the rest of God Himself, its full fruition is yet future, though believers now enter into it. In whatever way they enter into divine “rest,” that which they enjoy is involved in an indissoluble relation with God. (Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words)

We are in a state of permanent rest with God. Not a once a week experience.

3 For we who have believed do enter that rest, as He has said: And have ceased from our labors as God ceased from His.

The reason most translations don't call this as the sabbath rest is it is another day, a different day, as in 8 For if [b]Joshua had given them rest, then He would not afterward have spoken of another day. It is actually called 'Today' and every day is today.

Reactions: mailmandan

BlessedPeace

Aug 22, 2023
Bend
akiane.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 10 commandments are moral laws governing respect for both God and one another.

If those no longer apply, we're in trouble.
Quite frankly there are a lot of silly people who follow Jesus.

When they claim the ten commandments no longer matter to the Christian you know you're meeting one of those.

It's ridiculous.

Reactions: Duck Muscles

Duck Muscles

Mar 19, 2024
Europe
Faith
Christian
Country
Denmark
Quite frankly there are a lot of silly people who follow Jesus.

When they claim the ten commandments no longer matter to the Christian you know you're meeting one of those.

It's ridiculous.
There are many here in prison because thou shalt not murder, meant nothing.