Do you believe Spirit baptism replaces water baptism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Taking things strictly literally without looking at the big picture can have its drawbacks, for example Jesus said-
"If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off...And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. And if your eye causes you to stumble, pluck it out. (Mark 9:43-47)
So if a bloke has a lust problem should he go to work on himself with a pair of garden shears?

We know when something is literal vs. metaphorical. God says we are to love others as we love ourselves. Obviously we would not want to harm another person physically because the Scriptures are clear that we are to turn the other cheek, and do good unto our enemies when evil is done against us. Scripture has to give a testimony somewhere else to support a claim, too. I have found Christians who completely IGNORE all of Matthew 5:28-30 all because they read the words you describe by our Lord as being a metaphor. But even in our culture we use metaphorical words and phrases mingled in with literal talk all the time. So of course they can just thrown down the metaphor card any time they don't like something God has said.

You said:
My point is that if we take things too literally it gives us no elbow room to see things in context, so rightly or wrongly I tend to think water-baptism is not such a big deal as some people think,

But what if baptism is a big deal with God whereby it is a thing that is a part of our faith? What if our rejection of the command on water baptism is enough to keep us out of God's kingdom because of our unbelief in His Word? Granted, I am not saying that is going to happen for sure. Maybe God will not hold a believer's rejection of water baptism against them. But what if God will hold it against them? You can play games with your soul if you like, but I consider my life too precious to play games with it. I want to do all of what the Lord commands of me in this life by faith because the just live by faith according to Scripture. Those who are justified by faith are the ones who have peace with God.

Look around you.

Every Christian today is seeking to not obey God in some way.
They are making excuses. They don't want to all obey Him.
Some may be clever at making it appear they are for holy living but listen careful to their words and they will double speak in that they also believe one can sin and still be saved. For Christians today who appear for holy living have also said to me that a believer can commit suicide and be saved. Christians who appear to be for holy living have said you can take the mark of the beast and be saved. Christians today who appear to be for holy living have also said that if a believer goes prodigal (backslides) into a lifestyle of sin, they are still saved.

Others just hold to a wrong belief on sin and salvation that naturally will lead them and others to treat God's grace as a license to sin (Even though again they appear to be for doing good). They say stupid things like how they cannot sin ever again [even while they do sin] according to a false interpretation on 1 John 3:10.

My point here is we are in a spiritual wasteland of darkness where Christians do not really feel the need to follow Jesus because they think that is separate from salvation.

You said:
for example there are verses that the holy spirit can descend on people even if they haven't been water-baptised.
But if people WANT to be water-baptised because it'll strengthen their faith, that's fine of course..

If you studied the Bible for any length of time you will realize that there are truths in the Bible that appear to be contradictory but they are not.
The Trinity is that the Lord our God is one God, and yet they are three distinct persons.
One can fall into the error of either Tritheism on one end of the spectrum, or they can fall into the error of Modalism (on the other end of the spectrum). There are pieces of Scripture that appear to teach Tritheism (three separate gods) (See: Ephesians 4:4-6), and there is a verse that sort of sounds like Modalism (that God just puts on a mode or mask of the three different persons and they are not distinct persons who are all one God) (See: 1 John 5:7 in the King James Bible here). But both of these extreme positions are an error. So we have to rightly divide and realize that both verses are true once they are put into their own proper perspective. Both God being three distinct persons and yet He is one God is hard for many to grasp; But the Bible teaches the Trinity (or Godhead).

Meaning, on the point you made with water baptism vs. the Spirit coming upon those without water baptism: Well, one is not the exclusive truth at the expense of the other. Both are true.

In other words, a person can die on their deathbed and be saved by just believing in the name of Jesus alone (John 1:12). Even the thief on the cross was saved without being water baptized. Yet, if they were to live out their faith, then they would have to obey the faith and do those things that God tells them to do. By faith... Noah prepared an ark to the saving of his house (Hebrews 11:7).

The Bible teaches we are first saved by God's grace without works in our INITIAL SALVATION (Ephesians 2:8-9).
Groups like the church of Christ and the Catholic church are wrong for teaching we need to first be water baptized to be INITIALLY saved.
For we do cases in the Bible when the Gentile believers were baptized into the Spirit before they were water baptized (Acts of the Apostles 10:34-48) (Acts of the Apostles 19:1-7). Even water baptism did not bring the Spirit in one case (Acts of the Apostles 8:9-25). Granted, this most likely could have been because Simon the sorcerer needed to be weeded out amongst the group. But the point here I see is that with the Gentiles: Water baptism is not the trigger or point of contact of faith for the Spirit to come. Believers are saved by God's grace without works INITIALLY. No water baptism is needed for us to be INITIALLY saved and or to have the Spirit. Granted, there are other cases we see the Jew being baptized along with repentance. But the Jew already believed in GOD. So they needed to get their heart right with the LORD in coming back because many of them rejected their own Messiah. But even with the jailor and his household, we learn that Paul water baptized them after they believed. This baptism was not done to INITIALLY save them, but it was simply their continuing in the faith as a part of following God's instructions. After they were saved initially by believing, they were water baptized.

Matthew 28:19 sounds like we are to baptize others by the Lord Jesus Himself. Sure, one could read it metaphorically as talking about how we are to immerse (baptize) others into the teachings of Jesus. But where else does Scripture refer to this? Also, what if one is wrong? What if Jesus did really mean to simply water baptize? Well, we do see the apostles (even Paul) water baptize others. So this gives weight that they understood that they were to water baptize. To say that they misunderstood Jesus and God was just operating in their life anyways seems inconsistent. Especially when Jesus said this:

“He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.” (Matthew 10:40).

So when people were being baptized by the apostles, they were in essence receiving Jesus. To claim that the apostles were in error when no Bible verse says that is to write one's own hidden narrative that does not exist in the Bible. Such a thing is not correct because we follow what is written in God's Word and not our own imaginations. There is no clear verse or passage that says that water baptism in the name of Jesus has ended. Thus, if that is the case, then we must conclude that water baptism in the name of Jesus is something we must do.

Last edited:

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Some Christians hold to the belief that Spirit baptism replaces water baptism. I recently held to this belief but I reverted back to my old position that we are to water baptize others and be water baptized.
Yes. I've always believed this. I haven't read all the comments yet but would be interested in why you changed your mind :Amen:

LoveofTruth

Apr 23, 2022
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome to the Board.

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged, Enlightened, Exhorted, And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided! i.e.:
Three Bible Baptisms:

God's Context Of Prophecy/Law for ISRAEL:
►►► The Twelve Were Sent to {water} baptize! ◄◄◄

The TWO Main (of 12) baptismS =
A) water, For remission of sins/induction into Israeli "priesthood!":
(Matthew_3:5-6; Mark_1:4; Luke_3:3; John_1:31; Luke_7:29-30; Acts_10:37)
(Matthew_28:19; Mark_16:16; Acts_2:38, 22:16; Ezekiel_36:25; Isaiah 52:15)
+
B) WITH The Holy Spirit, Poured Out By CHRIST, for power, signs And wonders!
(Isaiah_44:3; Matthew_3:11; Mark_1:8, 16:17-18;
Luke_24:49; Acts_2:17-18, 38, 8:15-17, 11:16)
Prophecy/Law for ISRAEL!

Rightly Divided (2 Timothy 2:15) From “Things That Differ” (online)

God's Other Context Of Mystery/GRACE! =
our "apostle to the Gentiles" for The Body Of CHRIST:
►►► Paul Was Not Sent to {water} baptize! Why Not?: ◄◄◄

Today:
Only ONE Baptism = "BY" The ONE Spirit = God's OPERATION {#13},
Spiritually Identifying members In (The ONE Body Of) CHRIST!!
(Ephesians_4:5; Colossians_2:12; Galatians_3:27;
Romans_6:3-4; 1_Corinthians_12:13 KJB!)

Conclusion: God's ONE Baptism Today? = ONE
OR, EQUALS TWO? = water problem with MATH! Correct?
----------------------------------
These have also been Very Helpful:
Bible Answer To Confusing church Bewilderment! and: Water That Divides!!

GRACE, Peace, And JOY...
Hello, God bless,

when Johns water baptism was done, we read in scripture it was for repentance and remission of sins. But we know that only through faith in the blood of Christ is remission of sins, and without the shedding of blood is no remission. So Johns typical shadow of water baptism was a type, not the reality.

Today for example, we do not need to sacrifice a lamb every time we have the church gather together to remember Jesus death for sin. Why don't we do that? Because it was a shadow an type of the reality . There is no more sacrifice for sin.

Also, the diverse washings and carnal ordinances of the OT (including any shadows and types such as Johns water baptism) were only shadows of the reality. These were imposed upon Israel for a time until the time of reformation Hebrews 9.

It seems clear form scripture that the Jewish Christians, were still in some way struggling to come out of the old covenant that was decaying and ready to vanish and to come into the new covenant and the freedoms of Christ. They were obviously still under the law for a time as we see in scripture. Even in Acts 2 Peter was going to the Temple. In the Temple they did sacrifices all the law requirements, the customs of the Jews and they were still under circumcision for a long time, many many many years after Christ death. Even when we read in Acts 21 we see the Jewish CHRISTIANS, were all soo zealous for the law and customs of the Jews and wanted Paul to go with them into the temple and show that he was also and to sacrifice animals. This was way way way after Christ death.

There is no denying this, (though some try hard to). The Gentiles were not to come under Israels program in the New covenant and the Jews were to come out of that as well and into the fullness of the new covenant. There are many many scriptures that can prove these things

But when some read the book of Acts they miss this truth and then they say that we should do whatever Peter and the other Jewish believers did. They act like if they did it its ok for us. But this is not the right way to look at these things.

Last edited:
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

LoveofTruth

Apr 23, 2022
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But what if baptism is a big deal with God whereby it is a thing that is a part of our faith? What if our rejection of the command on water baptism is enough to keep us out of God's kingdom because of our unbelief in His Word? Granted, I am not saying that is going to happen for sure. Maybe God will not hold a believer's rejection of water baptism against them. But what if God will hold it against them?

It sounds like doubt and a bit of confusion in your understand here, not a sound understanding. When we say what if or "maybe", we create doubt not faith.

I stand firm on what God has shown in the Holy scriptures. But as in all scripture they are spiritually understood (1 Cor 2) and the interpretations are often connected to other scriptures to give a strong foundation.

There are many verses that show strong teachings on this issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

LoveofTruth

Apr 23, 2022
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Brother. I love you in Christ, but I disagree with you on this one now.

God bless brother, I love you also in Christ and its ok for us to have a strong discussion on this, I don't think less of you for it. It is better to really work through issues even with strong language and conviction than to just ignore them because of the hard to understand parts.

Bear with me brother as I might be bolder than usual here. I think its this man in the video that swayed you a bit and my discussion is towards him and his teaching in part.

And yes, I strongly disagree with you on the baptism issue here, but strangely a month ago I would have strongly agreed with you and you had seen many things. We need to not be tossed to and from by some bible teacher in a video. I strongly disagree with that teacher as well. Send me a link to his email or page and I may try to talk to him also. I would even go to the gatherings where he teaches and share with the whole church. But its not easy to do right now.

Yes, I am aware there are other groups who hold to this viewpoint.
That is why it has gained in popularity.

No, as far as I have seen it has not gained much popularity. Many hold to the traditions of men more so. And the reason some hold this view, (from what I have studied) is they have a revelation from Holy Scripture. The men I have read from the past have such a strong scriptural understanding of this that other groups had changed their view because they said it was unanswerable their argument from the scripture.

In fact, it fits well with many today who turn God’s grace into a license to sin on some level.

This has nothing to do with me or the men I speak of from the past and this doctrine does not do that in any way. I am not denying that we need to live a godly life and let God work in us which will reflect in our daily lives. I do not teach works added to the gospel for salvation which many seem to do in a sneaky way buy wrongly understanding James.

If my memory serves my correctly: You basically said before that you did not feel it was right to carry a pool around to baptize people.
This is what I believe guided you to think that we should not be water baptized.

No, that is not correct. I had had communications with a few groups when evangelizing and visiting assemblies such as the Toronto Church of Christ and Lutherins etc. They pushed hard their water baptism for salvation issue and many verses. I began to wonder if as soon as I saw a person get saved iff i had to bring them down to the lake or have a big thing of water n the street. This was because of the wrong doctrines that were pressed on me by others. At the time I had not had a deep revelation or study on this issue. But the Lord opened it to me as I sought him. I heard the same words that God spoke to Paul when he said Christ sent me not to baptize but to preach the gospel. hen i went and studied and met other brothers who shared many things. It has been a long study over many years.

And, no, I believe strongly it was the Lord that guided me to this revelation in spirit and through scripture and other brothers and writings.

The original seed of your own thinking has led you to think this way.

No, the Seed in me is Christ and he led me to see this way. To this day I have not met one man in any denomination that has been able to withstand this truth about the water baptism issue and the Jewish Gentile issues in the New testament. Many simply do not consider the Jewish Gentile issue. So they group them all together.

But faith in what God requires of us does not always make sense to us.

This is the work of God that you believe. When we have faith, then Christ comes to dwell in our heart. In this new creation we walk and our walk and life is according to this rule where God rules in our heart and makes us perfect unto every good work through Christ Hebrews 13:20,21 KJV.We do not worship God as the OT saints did exactly. They were under a kind of bondage to the law and ceremonies and types and we are not in this. We must worship God in spirit and in truth. Many try to make works ceremonial things they use words like "sacraments" or works we do to add to the gospel for salvation. Those who say , "no, I do not want to add any work to the gospel, BUT...we must do this or that or else, they still add works to the gospel in a different way.I am not saying we have no law, every believer is in the law of Christ, the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus. But we are not under the OT law or fleshy works to add to the gospel. The works are spiritual flowing from love in our heart. They are infinite in their expression. Not just certain ceremonies etc.

Why did God ask the Israelites to march around Jericho seven times?

Seven is a typical number of perfection in faith. We need perfect faith. But because they did that in faith, doesn't not make it a standing ordinance for every believer to do.

Yes many things we will DO in faith. God works in us unto every good work.But water baptism or sacrificing animals or circumcision etc are not the same things in the New Testament. Faith worketh by love. And love can be expressed in unending ways.

But we walk by faith and not by sight.

continued in a bit

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. I've always believed this. I haven't read all the comments yet but would be interested in why you changed your mind :Amen:

While this video is not really about the baptism issue (although it is mentioned briefly), it did help me to hold to my position of Bible Alone.

Side Note:

While I had many verses to defend why Spirit baptism replaced water baptism, the problem is that it was all based on conjecture. I had to create a secret hidden narrative that did not exist in the Scriptures in order to make Spirit baptism replace water baptism work. In other words, I want to follow what the Bible clearly says and I don’t want to follow what is not clearly written. There is no verse or passage in the Bible that says water baptism in the name of Jesus has ended or that the apostles were doing this practice with imperfect knowledge.

Last edited:

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
While this video is not really about the baptism issue, it did help me to hold to my position of Bible Alone.

Side Note:

While I had many verses to defend why Spirit baptism replaced water baptism, the problem is that it was all based on conjecture. I had to create a secret hidden narrative that did not exist in the Scriptures in order to make Spirit baptism replace water baptism work. In other words, I want to follow what the Bible clearly says and I don’t want to follow what is not clearly written. There is no verse or passage in the Bible that says water baptism in the name of Jesus has ended or that the apostles were doing this practice with imperfect knowledge.
Thank you. I will take a look at it when I get some time....:)

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Some Christians hold to the belief that Spirit baptism replaces water baptism. I recently held to this belief but I reverted back to my old position that we are to water baptize others and be water baptized.
No.

Please use Scripture to back up your position.
Why, you didn’t?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That’s good. I don’t believe Spirit baptism replaced water baptism (Based on the clear testimony of Scripture), either.

You said:
Why, you didn’t?

Because I don’t believe Spirit baptism replaces water baptism anymore. The challenge was to those who believed this way.

LoveofTruth

Apr 23, 2022
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
While this video is not really about the baptism issue (although it is mentioned briefly), it did help me to hold to my position of Bible Alone.

Side Note:

It’s not really a secret hidden narrative that does not exist. It does exist, the scriptures show it. Jesus thanked God that he hid certain mysteries from the wise and prudent and revealed them unto babes. The things of God, even the deep things, are only understood by the Spirit.

for example, when Peter was speaking about baptism in Acts chapter 2, many focus on his words, but they don’t ask where was Peter going and why was he going to the temple? And what was he and all the other Jewish believers doing in the temple? These are simple questions that many don’t ask. But God reveals these truths to those who in faith seek and ask.
But when we do ask such questions, that others seem to ignore, we find answers that are hidden or not noticed by many. Then it is said we make up a hidden thing that is not there when it is clearly.

Or ask why did Jesus in Acts chapter one, at almost his first words, say that John baptized with water (past tense) but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost (future tense)? And yes the early Jewish believers , Peter included, were following Johns water baptism of the Old Testament . We see this in Acts 11 after Peter had the Gentiles water baptized after they were already saved and filled with the Spirit. He then remembered the words of Jesus in Acts chapter one. Showing clearly that the baptism he was still doing was connected to the Old Testament carnal ordinance and diverse washings.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Disagree, because the obvious Scriptural Evidence Shows Otherwise!
All "kingdom saints, Under God's Context of Prophecy And Law" Were Required/

/Commanded:
"
to sell All, AND to follow Jesus!" (Mat_19:21;Mar_10:21;Luk_18:22):
+
Carried Out: "all things common" (Acts 2:44-45, 4:32-34)

Not situational for one, but Dispensational For ALL, Correct? In addition:

I addressed the false teaching of Mid Acts Dispensationalism you proposed in your thread here, here, and here.

You said:
God Had Immediate Consequences for disobedience/deceitfulness when the
"gift of knowledge" Peter had, was still In Effect! (Acts 5:1-11), Correct?

This does not prove your theory of Mid Acts Dispensationalism. Peter did not appear to have the gift of knowledge as you claim because he did not know the inclusion of the Gentiles until he went to Cornelius’ house (See: Acts of the Apostles 10 through Acts of the Apostles 11).

Peter makes no distinction between the Jews and Gentiles in his message below in Acts 15.

“Peter rose up and said to them: "Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as [He did] to us, and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they." (Acts of the Apostles 15:7-11)

You said:
Thus, this was a "kingdom package deal," including water baptism for the
remission of sins (post 54), with "signs following believers, tongues, healings,
raising the dead, etc..." (Mar 16:16-18 Not to be Re-interpreted/separated/split up).

Mark 16:16-18 says,
16 “He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.”

Cessationism and Continuationism is probably one of the most difficult topics in the Bible to grasp (Leading the reader to decide what things have exactly ceased and what things have continued). While I lean more towards Cessationism, I do hold to the possibility that I could be wrong and all the gifts are still in operation but it takes faith by the individual. The apostles do appear to have ended because to be an apostle means one had to have seen the risen Christ. The saints are also built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets (Suggesting no new apostles or prophets). Also, tongues is tied to prophecy. Therefore, tongues and prophecy has also most likely ceased seeing that prophecy is closed with the book of Revelation.

To add new revelatory words (even in audible sense) is to claim they are worthy to be written down as Scripture. This means we can start adding extra biblical writings to the Bible and that is not only dangerous but is simply not possible. The error of following other writings has led to the formation of such false religions like: Islam, JW’s, Mormons, and others.

While I believe apostles, tongues and prophecies are no more (as the most likely possibility 99.9% chance - with my preferring not to engage or endorse such things today so as to guard my soul), I am not against any of the other operations or miracles that the early church has partaken of as happening today. If you were to talk to me a week ago, I would say that all of the miraculous sign gifts have ceased (as the most likely possibility). But my goal is to believe the Bible, and not to disbelieve it. Who am I to say what has ceased and has continued? Only God has that final word on the matter.

As for Mark 16:16-18: So do you believe that the words “He that believeth…” does not apply for believers today?

In other words, the Kingdom package (being separate from the gospel of Paul) you talk about is simply the invention of men.

Jesus said in Luke 4:43:

“I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent.”

Paul also preached the kingdom of God.

“And Paul dwelt two whole years in his own hired house, and received all that came in unto him, Preaching the kingdom of God, and teaching those things which concern the Lord Jesus Christ, with all confidence, no man forbidding him.” (Acts of the Apostles 28:30-31).

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Since no one has ever been dipped in spirit, "Spirit baptism" is an absurdity. Water baptism represents identifying with Christ in His death and rising to new life in Him. It's part of our testimony and was commanded by the risen Christ.
For some people, the occasion of baptism is the only time they've had to share their testimony of faith and make "the good confession."

"Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and for which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:12

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s not really a secret hidden narrative that does not exist. It does exist, the scriptures show it. Jesus thanked God that he hid certain mysteries from the wise and prudent and revealed them unto babes.

Babes would be those who are like babies who are innocent and simple, and who do not seek to complicate matters when reading the Word of God.
It is only those who believe they are advanced in knowledge who have these secret mysteries.

You said:
The things of God, even the deep things, are only understood by the Spirit.

No argument there.

You said:
for example, when Peter was speaking about baptism in Acts chapter 2, many focus on his words, but they don’t ask where was Peter going and why was he going to the temple? And what was he and all the other Jewish believers doing in the temple? These are simple questions that many don’t ask.

We don’t ask these questions because a Christian is not supposed to doubt what God’s Word says or assume that an apostle of God is acting falsely (without any direct evidence in Scripture).
Jesus told Peter to not leave Jerusalem.
So if Jesus wanted Peter to steer clear of the temple, then He should have told him to go to a place where there is no temple.
In fact, Jesus did not instruct Peter to not go to the temple, either (If such a thing was wrong).
It was not wrong to go to a temple. It would only be wrong to make sacrifices in that temple (Which they did not do at Pentecost).

You said:
But God reveals these truths to those who in faith seek and ask.
But when we do ask such questions, that others seem to ignore, we find answers that are hidden or not noticed by many. Then it is said we make up a hidden thing that is not there when it is clearly.

It is not clear because it is not written. No verse or passage says Peter acted wrongfully in Acts as you propose.
It would suggest that Pentecost (the birth of the church) was not event led perfectly by God.
Remember, Jesus said, “He that receiveth you receiveth me,…” (See: Matthew 10:40).
So if you were there at Pentecost, would you receive Peter or would you think he was in error for being at the temple?

You said:
Or ask why did Jesus in Acts chapter one, at almost his first words, say that John baptized with water (past tense) but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost (future tense)?

Because Jesus was talking about the event at Pentecost.

You said:
And yes the early Jewish believers , Peter included, were following Johns water baptism of the Old Testament . We see this in Acts 11 after Peter had the Gentiles water baptized after they were already saved and filled with the Spirit. He then remembered the words of Jesus in Acts chapter one. Showing clearly that the baptism he was still doing was connected to the Old Testament carnal ordinance and diverse washings.

Jesus was pointing to what happened at both Pentecost (with the Jews), and with Cornelius and his household (the Gentiles).
They were baptized into the Spirit at these events and they were not solely water baptized alone (marking a difference between John’s baptism and the baptism that would happen at Pentecost and at Cornelius’ house). Nowhere did Jesus say that water baptism was no more. I believe Jesus was merely pointing out how the two baptisms would be different so that Peter could recognize that this was a different kind of baptism taking place. While you one could read into the text that Jesus was referring to how things are going to be entirely different with John baptizing in water and the New Covenant way would be Spirit baptism, that is simply not the reality of what see communicated by God to the apostles. God was still talking directly with the apostles in the book of Acts. If they did something wrong, God would have pointed that fact out to them. This is where your belief starts to crumble. It is a hidden narrative making assumptions off certain verses and it accuses the apostles of making a mistake (Where there is none). It’s creating a false charge or judgment against them based on circumstantial evidence. I personally would not want to sit in judgment of the apostles based on circumstantial evidence that could not even hold up in a court of law.

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven't been water-baptised because it simply never crossed my mind.
It's fine for those who feel they need it, as long as they remember it doesn't guarantee salvation-
"The holy spirit hadn't come upon the Samaritans as they'd simply been baptised" (Acts of the Apostles 8:15-16)

And the holy spirit can come without baptism-
"The Caesareans have received the holy spirit, so let us baptise them" (Acts of the Apostles 10:47)

Water-baptism is separate from holy spirit baptism-
"For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.” (Acts of the Apostles 1:5)

And Jesus told Paul not to get sidetracked into baptising people-
"Jesus sent me not to baptise, but to preach the gospel" (1 Corinthians 1:17)

There's also the danger that people who've been water-baptised will think it guarantees salvation forever, so they drop their guard against satan.
Hmm walking on water is quite a feat.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since no one has ever been dipped in spirit, "Spirit baptism" is an absurdity. Water baptism represents identifying with Christ in His death and rising to new life in Him. It's part of our testimony and was commanded by the risen Christ.
For some people, the occasion of baptism is the only time they've had to share their testimony of faith and make "the good confession."

"Fight the good fight of faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called, and for which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:12

1 Corinthians 12:13 is describing the baptism into the Spirit. Besides, what do you think happened at Pentecost?

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Huh? Matthew 3:11.
It means to be immersed in and overwhelmed by the Spirit.
John 7:38-39
It could mean that, depending on which translation you use, and what baptism represents, sprinkling or dunking, and "when" the verses apply to. Receiving the Holy Spirit by faith is described in various passages in more than one way, but the some people use the term spiritual baptism as a second anointing. In other words, some folks believe we receive the Holy Spirit for salvation, and later anointing with power.
Baptised in the Spirit, just doesn't mean the same thing as spiritual baptism in the common use in our time and I don't see any verse in scripture that uses the term spiritual baptism.
Consider this passage:
"He said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said to him, “On the contrary, we have not even heard if there is a Holy Spirit.” And he said, “Into what then were you baptized?” And they said, “Into John’s baptism.” Paul said, “John baptized with a baptism of repentance, telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. And when Paul had laid hands upon them, the Holy Spirit came on them and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. There were about twelve men in all.
Acts 19:2-7

It looks here, like the disciples of John the Baptist were baptised with water twice and then received the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands.

Matthew 3:11 is obviously speaking to a spiritual baptism of a sort, but to be consistent with the prophet Joel 2:28-29 and Peter in Acts 2:14-21, this could also be referring to a future event for Israel. This was preached to Jews in all the passages, but we tend to interpret everything as spoken directly to the church and that's questionable because of the latter part quoted by Peter.

John 7:38-39 is more likely to be talking about baptism in the Spirit, but the passage speaks to living water pouring out of an individual, not into, onto, or over.
Perhaps that refers to a movement of Spirit by the laying on of hands and that would be consistent with other passages, as well as my own experience in being born again. (I held hands with the saint who led me in prayer to receive the Lord and it was an awesome and transforming experience . )

But definitely no dunking in the Spirit there.

Regardless, water baptism remains a representation of our identification with Christ in His death and resurrection, was commanded by the Lord, and explained by the Apostle Paul.

Last edited:

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 12:13 is describing the baptism into the Spirit. Besides, what do you think happened at Pentecost?
See my response to Ferris Bueller. I didn't speak to the tongues of fire, but I consider them a sign to fulfill Peter's words in reference to the prophet Joel. We understand the Holy Spirit to be the same One that descended on Christ, but at the Lord's baptism the Holy Spirit came down like a dove. The witnesses to both may have seen the same exact thing, but it doesn't sound that way.