Do you believe Spirit baptism replaces water baptism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Is this enough to not sin?
Mark 12
30Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ No other commandment is greater than these
@BeyondET We need to be led of the indwelling Spirit if we are indeed born again.......

Reactions: BeyondET

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you mean that water baptism ensures a person’s salvation forever? No.

I believe a Christian is first saved by God’s grace without works in their Initial Salvation, and then…. They need to continue in the faith.
Faith starts off as a belief alone in Jesus as the Savior, and in believing the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, but it does not remain that way.
Baptism is only one of our sets of instructions in the faith until we live out our faith until the end. By faith Noah built the ark (Hebrews 11:7). So faith is not always just a belief alone (although God does desire us to believe certain truths in the Bible).

Check out this video here on the topic of faith.

There are lots of verses so make sure you take notes on them.
Do you think that it is possible to complete faith 100% the instructions before the end of one's life physically,

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think that it is possible to complete faith 100% the instructions before the end of one's life physically,

If you are saying that we as Christians can obey all of the things in the New Testament by faith that we are commanded, then… “Yes.” I do believe that is possible for a believer. I believe Christians can obey God and be faithful. On their own power? No. But by God’s power? Yes. Believers have to plug into God’s Word and pray to the Lord at all times to be able to do this, though. They have to meditate on His NT commands as a part of the faith. They need to continue to believe the gospel message that saves in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, and the core doctrines of the faith. They need to do this all the way to the end of their faith. For the just shall live by faith.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are saying that we as Christians can obey all of the things in the New Testament by faith that we are commanded, then… “Yes.” I do believe that is possible for a believer. I believe Christians can obey God and be faithful. On their own power? No. But by God’s power? Yes. Believers have to plug into God’s Word and pray to the Lord at all times to be able to do this, though. They have to meditate on His NT commands as a part of the faith. They need to continue to believe the gospel message that saves in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, and the core doctrines of the faith. They need to do this all the way to the end of their faith. For the just shall live by faith.
Ok so where on the command list does baptism reside 1st or 3rd.

You mentioned commands how many are there?

and is there certain ones done before others or its not an order a list per say?

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was baptized as a child, I've believed in God since as long as I can remember do I need to be rebaptized. I'm not catholic but my father was I really don't consider one denominations or the other.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok so where on the command list does baptism reside 1st or 3rd.

“The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.” (Mark 12:29-30).

“And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.” (Mark 12:31).

As for what number baptism resides as a command: Well, the Bible does not number the command on baptism. But we do see in Scripture that after a person first accepts Jesus Christ as their Savior, and believes the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, they are generally water baptized in the name of Jesus because that is what we see the apostles do with new converts to those who believe in Jesus so as to be saved (Acts of the Apostles 2:38) (Acts of the Apostles 8:16) (Acts of the Apostles 19:5).

You said:
You mentioned commands how many are there?

Just to be clear: Believers are not under the 613 Laws of Moses as a whole or package deal. While certain laws from the Old Law have been repeated into the Commands in the Laws of Christ in the New Testament we do not primarily look to the old to obey God. Believers are not under the commands like the Saturday Sabbath, dietary laws, holy days, circumcision, partaking in animal sacrifices, etcetera.

Not counting commands that are for specific individuals (like women, children, and certain people groups), there are 440 New Testament commands according to my study (From Matthew to Revelation). I have yet to proof edit my work on this project, though (To see if I missed anything). There are others who have attempted to make a list of commands for the New Testament, but I find that they are not accurate or natural. All commands sound like a direct command (with an action verb telling you the reader to do something unless otherwise indicated it is a command).

You said:
and is there certain ones done before others or its not an order a list per say?

My commands are ordered only in how they appear in the New Testament, but the Bible does not give a specific order on all of the commands.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was baptized as a child, I've believed in God since as long as I can remember do I need to be rebaptized. I'm not catholic but my father was I really don't consider one denominations or the other.

The first step is to believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and risen the third day for your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). Then call upon the name of the Lord Jesus, seeking forgiveness with Him (Romans 10:13). Ask the Lord Jesus into your life and to be the Lord of your life (John 1:12) (Romans 10:9). Once you made a commitment to Christ in this way by prayer to the Lord, and you believe the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, you will be changed spiritually. Then the next step would be seeking to be water baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. This needs to be done by faithful believers who seek to make the Bible their only final Word of authority (Which are not Catholics, JW’s, Mormons, etcetera.). Once, you are water baptized, then continue in the faith in obeying the commands by the Lord Jesus Christ and His followers.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The first step is to believe that Jesus Christ died for your sins, He was buried, and risen the third day for your salvation (1 Corinthians 15:1-4). Then call upon the name of the Lord Jesus, seeking forgiveness with Him (Romans 10:13). Ask the Lord Jesus into your life and to be the Lord of your life (John 1:12) (Romans 10:9). Once you made a commitment to Christ in this way by prayer to the Lord, and you believe the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, you will be changed spiritually. Then the next step would be seeking to be water baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. This needs to be done by faithful believers who seek to make the Bible their only final Word of authority. Once, you are water baptized, then continue in the faith in obeying the commands by the Lord Jesus Christ and His followers.
Well said thank you my friend.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@BeyondET

While I do not agree with everything Chick Publications teaches, this tract did help me to accept the Lord Jesus as my Savior back in 1992.

full

Chick.com: This Was Your Life

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How did your life change, in what ways?

I used to be an atheist before accepting Jesus as my Savior in 1992. When I received Him as my Savior, I received a love, joy, and peace that I had never known before. It was like a light had went on inside of me and the Bible became a living book that spoke to me. I wanted everyone to feel the same way I did about my experience with the Lord Jesus Christ. I threw out my comic books, and strived to please the Lord in all I did. While I did later focus on more of the things of the world in my teenage years, I always believed Jesus was my Savior and I desired to tell others about Him. It was not until 2010-2011 is when I rededicated my life in following the Lord. I took to studying His Word like never before and God opened His Word to me in ways that I could have never imagined. In 2016, I gave up worldly movies like Marvel comic films, Star Trek, James Bond, etcetera. I watch Christian movies now.

Here is a list of Christian DVD’s if you are interested.

My Christian DVD Collection

But my life now is focused on Christ every day and in living for Him. My goal is to obey the Lord in everything that He commands of me.
I am constantly in the Word and discussing it with other believers and seek Christ as the head of my life and family. The Lord has been gracious and good to me, and I have changed (Hating many of the things of this world and seeking Jesus as my ultimate prize). My focus is now on the Lord and in loving all others. My life now is in service to Jesus. All I seek to do and say is with the hope that it honors Him. But I am nothing. Christ is everything. All good in my life should be given thanks to the Lord Jesus Christ. We look to Him and uplift Him.

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I used to be an atheist before accepting Jesus as my Savior in 1992. When I received Him as my Savior, I received a love, joy, and peace that I had never known before. It was like a light had went on inside of me and the Bible became a living book that spoke to me. I wanted everyone to feel the same way I did about my experience with the Lord Jesus Christ. I threw out my comic books, and strived to please the Lord in all I did. While I did later focus on more of the things of the world in my teenage years, I always believed Jesus was my Savior and I desired to tell others about Him. It was not until 2010-2011 is when I rededicated my life in following the Lord. I took to studying His Word like never before and God opened His Word to me in ways that I could have never imagined. In 2016, I gave up worldly movies like Marvel comic films, Star Trek, James Bond, etcetera. I watch Christian movies now.

Here is a list of Christian DVD’s if you are interested.

My Christian DVD Collection

But my life now is focused on Christ every day and in living for Him. My goal is to obey the Lord in everything that He commands of me.
I am constantly in the Word and discussing it with other believers and seek Christ as the head of my life and family. The Lord has been gracious and good to me, and I have changed (Hating many of the things of this world and seeking Jesus as my ultimate prize). My focus is now on the Lord and in loving all others. My life now is in service to Jesus. All I seek to do and say is with the hope that it honors Him. But I am nothing. Christ is everything. All good in my life should be given thanks to the Lord Jesus Christ. We look to Him and uplift Him.
Heart felt statement indeed, and in my opinion you are something a witness of grace thank you for sharing.

Im curious when you got water baptized did other things change/happen or sensation what was your experience being baptized and after if you don't mind or did that happened at water baptism

Last edited:

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
The strongest points I recently held to for Spirit baptism replacing water baptism was...

@Bible Highlighter - 1 Corinthians 1:17 (along with 1 Corinthians 11:1). Paul says he comes not to baptize but to preach the gospel.
In 1 Corinthians 11:1, Paul says we are to follow his example. So if we are to follow his example, then we should say to others we come not to baptize but to preach the gospel.
#2. Luke 16:16 (in that the Law and the prophets was until John and therefore the teaching on baptism that came from John was of the Old Law).
#3. Hebrews 9:10 talks about how baptimos (Greek) (washings - English) was imposed on them until the time of reformation.

There are other points, but I think they can easily be taken down and are weak on their own.

My rebuttal of my own previous strong points on this topic:

#1. My response on 1 Corinthians 1:17: Well, in context, Paul was saying what he did in 1 Corinthians 1:17 in response to his rebuke of the Corinthians in that some of them said they were of Apollos and others said they were of Paul. Paul was saying that Christ did not originally send Paul out to just baptize only as his primary mission. Baptism is something we just simply do after we are initially first saved by God's grace through believing the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4, and or seeking forgiveness of one's sins with the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul was saying that baptism alone was not his sole purpose or mission. I say this because we see Paul water baptize even the jailor and his household in the middle of the night (after the jailor first was initially saved by believing in Jesus). If we are to truly follow the example of Paul in 1 Corinthians 11:1, then we should water baptize like he did.

#2. My response on Luke 16:16: The apostles were told by the Lord Jesus Himself to baptize in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost (Matthew 28:19). The apostles took this to mean as being baptized into the name of Jesus (Because that is what we see them do). God talked to the apostles many times directly, and if they were in error on this doctrine of baptism, then it would not make any sense for God to keep remaining silent on this issue. In fact, God seemed to operate just fine in their life when they were water baptized. Granted, this was not always the case. The Spirit did come upon Cornelius and his house before they were water baptized. But the point here is we don't read anywhere in Scripture about how the apostles were acting with imperfect knowledge when it came to the baptism issue. We also do not read anywhere about how water baptism in the name of Jesus has ended. So John's water baptism vs. being baptized in the name of Jesus is different. Remember, the disciples of John at Ephesus did not know really about salvation in Jesus yet. They needed to know about Jesus as being the Savior and to believe in him. Once this happened, they were then re-baptized in the name of Jesus (because they accepted Him as their Savior) and because it is a part of the great commission in Matthew 28:19.

#3. My response on Hebrews 9:10: There is no indication that baptism in the name of Jesus was imposed on believers until the time of reformation. There is no indication that the apostles were acting in error since day one on this point with God not speaking up about it. Hebrews 9:10 would be the Old Testament washings and or rituals and it does not automatically mean it was in reference to the apostles making a mistake (When Scripture does not say that).
@Bible Highlighter - In relation to 1 cor 1:17, 11:1 and other verses appear to be irrelevant when putting forward your argument re: Water baptism vs Baptism of the HS as Paul did baptise a small number of people although it was not his call to ministry. I honestly do not think that John's ministry of water baptism ended as such but was rather surpassed by something greater.

John was a forerunner of Jesus. John's water baptism was a physical manifestation of a forthcoming spiritual event which happened in Christ Jesus. If you look through the bible you will see how many times physical manifestations [symbols] preceded spiritual events. For instance: The blood sacrifices in the OT, preceded Christ death and resurrection once and for all, the law was preceded by the Law of the Spirit in Christ Jesus. The gentiles at cornelius's house were baptised by the Holy Spirt while listening to the salvation message because they believed the message preached to them. This is surely enough to show that although it was natural in Judaic Jewish culture to baptise by water, it was not natural for gentiles.

The Council of Jerusalem had decided [after much persuasion from Paul and Barnabas] that Gentile Christians were not bound by the Levitical ceremonial regulations of the Jews ( ritual cleansing-water baptism) except for abstaining from what has been sacrificed to idols and from blood and from what is strangled and from fornication” (Acts 15:29) :My2c:

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe Spirit baptism replaces water baptism?

No! But circumcision of the foreskin like that done to Abraham and his household has the same conotation in the Old Testament as water baptism is in the New Testament, that both phenomenons has no spiritual value except they now belong to the family of God.

The word "baptism" means to "wash"
or "wash away sins."

Spirit baptism happens when someone becomes save as in Titus 3:5, while water baprism has no spiritual value but to cleanse the dirt off of our skin (1 Peter 3:21).

To God Be The Glory

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Heart felt statement indeed, and in my opinion you are something a witness of grace thank you for sharing.

Let the Lord Jesus Christ get all the glory, my friend.

You said:
Im curious when you got water baptized did other things change/happen or sensation what was your experience being baptized and after if you don't mind or did that happened at water baptism

I was water baptized in April of 2013. It was a really happy day and I did feel the hand of God upon me (When I did so), but was I any different after baptism? I do not honestly recall. Only God would know in my life by that. I believe Romans 6:3-5 is referring to how our baptism is in the LIKENESS (symbolic parallel) of Christ’s death and that we are to walk in newness of life (i.e. living righteously) which is the LIKENESS (symbolic parallel) of the resurrection. I believe water baptism is a part of our faith like all the other instructions we must strive to follow with the help of God.

Romans 6:3-5
3 “Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:”