Does "forgive but won't forget" mean they haven't really forgiven?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Kimshi42

Dec 27, 2007
You know when people say "I'll forgive you but I won't forget"? Doesn't this sound like an unforgiving mindset? While it's true people generally don't forget, to say it sounds like "I'll hold onto this. I won't let it go. Although I might not scream at you or hurt you in overt ways, I won't be as loving as I could be. I'll throw this in your face when I can in lots of small ways and end up punishing you forever."

SealedEternal

Jan 6, 2008
That's not true forgiveness. We have to wipe the slate clean and give the person another opportunity if we truly forgive them, just as Christ has for us. What if He said "Oh yeah I forgive you, but I haven't forgot all of your transgressions against me and I certainly am going to hold them against you on the judgment day"?SealedEternal

Jon-Marc

Jun 8, 2007
Jacumba, CA
How does one make himself forget something? We are not commanded to forget but to forgive. Our brain is like a computer and never fully forgets; it's still there somewhere. That doesn't mean we have to dwell on it. We just simply never bring it up and remind them of what they did. "I was just thinking about what you did to me 14 years, two months, six days, three hours, and 22 minutes ago." If we do that then we haven't actually forgiven them.