Does God Have A Sense of Humor?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since @Devin Wintch and I were just talking about this and I was thinking an awful lot about this I thought that it would make for a really good topic. Since I never want to mock or insult God, but sometimes people tell funny jokes about Him so when is a joke going too far? Well, I think that just like everybody else there's a difference between laughing with somebody and laughing at them and mocking them and making fun of them. So I don't really see jokes that have to do with God and Christianity being any different but what do you guys think?

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since @Devin Wintch and I were just talking about this and I was thinking an awful lot about this I thought that it would make for a really good topic. Since I never want to mock or insult God, but sometimes people tell funny jokes about Him so when is a joke going too far? Well, I think that just like everybody else there's a difference between laughing with somebody and laughing at them and mocking them and making fun of them. So I don't really see jokes that have to do with God and Christianity being any different but what do you guys think?
I usually steer away about God jokes, since I don't like blasphemy, and they usually are blasphemous. But I think God does have a kind sense of humor. One that cheers people up without disrespect.

Reactions: April_Rose

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a sense of humor, A_R

and you are made in His image.

True, good point as that's what I was thinking too. :)

I usually steer away about God jokes, since I don't like blasphemy, and they usually are blasphemous. But I think God does have a kind sense of humor. One that cheers people up without disrespect.

I don't like blasphemy either but some God jokes are really cute. :p For an example here's one that I heard quite awhile ago. :D I'm not sure if it's word for word but the punchline is basically the same. :D

There were these two boys in the school cafeteria and the lunch lady told them each to take exactly one apple and warned them that God was watching them. So they each took an apple but the second boy dumped a pile of chocolate chip cookies on his lunch tray. That's when the first boy looked at him with confusion and questioned him why on earth he would do that when God was watching them? That's when he just simply grinned and said that God was only watching the apples, the lunch lady didn't say anything about the chocolate chip cookies. ;)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God definitely has a sense of humor.

But it's a very unusual and unique one. (Duh, He is God...a unique person)

The questions He asked Phillip before feeding the five thousand was ridiculously funny...
So was the Apostles singing so badly...Jesus quipping that they sound better than an earthquake was funnier.

Jesus has a sense of humor.

Asking Peter after He was resurrected if he had caught anything...but then tells him that he is fishing on the wrong side of the boat?

Good stuff...
There's usually an ironic twist to God's humor with the punchline being a blessing. (God is always good)

Irwin Fletcher

Sep 19, 2020
Cyprus
seeinggodclearly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Cyprus
One of the things I really like about the portrayal of Jesus in the new Chosen streaming series is his sense of humor. I think Jesus probably had the perfect sense of humor. He had all the best of humanity's humor balanced with His own Godly sense of timing and appropriate insight on when to use it.

One of the things that has marked some of the Christians I know who have had the most demonstrable joy evident in their life was their sense of humor. It is very sad to me that the view that many have of the Church and of Christians is that we are such dour people out to kill all fun. I believe the opposite is true. We celebrate fun and humor and other things that are truly joyful and not at the expense of others.

All of this reflects the humor that God created into mankind. People often say when circumstances turn our funny or strange that God has a sense of humor. That is possible, but most of the time it is just a person reading their own personality into a situation.

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God definitely has a sense of humor.

But it's a very unusual and unique one. (Duh, He is God...a unique person)

The questions He asked Phillip before feeding the five thousand was ridiculously funny...
So was the Apostles singing so badly...Jesus quipping that they sound better than an earthquake was funnier.

Jesus has a sense of humor.

Asking Peter after He was resurrected if he had caught anything...but then tells him that he is fishing on the wrong side of the boat?

Good stuff...
There's usually an ironic twist to God's humor with the punchline being a blessing. (God is always good)

I never heard that one before but I guess my question is when does it cross the line? For instance this topic was inspired by something that @Grunt Hemlock said yesterday that I found to be a really funny joke. I was asking about what Palm Sunday was and he said something about Jesus came out of His tomb to find out whether or not He would see His shadow and there would be six more days of winter and I was wondering should I be ashamed of myself that I thought it was funny and laughed? Then again, there seems like there's similarities between death and shadows (and He conquered it so that could be compared to early spring) though if you look at it like that. I think Jesus would have laughed and who knows maybe He did. :D

April_Rose

Sep 15, 2020
Ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Btw, I was listening to the sermon online yesterday for Palm Sunday and just as the pastor was talking about to expect the unexpected her microphone went out. LOL if that's not proof that God has a sense of humor I don't know what is because she said that that wasn't even planned. :p (And yes my pastor is a woman now and I really like her so get over it guys.)

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

He has a wonderful sense of humor. As it says a merry heart doeth good like a medicine.

I tend to have a very sarcastic sense of humor (ala Don rickles). Most know it is for fun and joy. I pick on myself just as much! I think if we cross a line we shouldn't, the Holy Spirit is more than able to let us know we went too far. But in the meantime- Let us laugh!